• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the future of console gaming going to be cross-gen?

I think we've missed something in the PCfication of console gaming.

Right now you can play PC games from the 90s and they'll generally work on modern PCs with some games obviously not working.

You can also run games on hardware dating back a decade (based on minimum specs).

Is the future of console gaming with the next generation one that allows all games to run on the current generation (maybe more so for PS5 than XSX due to the XSS). What would prevent a PS6 game from releasing on PS5, the PS5 has the SSD which is really the biggest difference right now between the PS5 and the PS4.

I think Sony and to a lesser degree Microsoft and publishers are going to want to continue supporting the previous generation (this generation) moving forward, because there is just so much cost involved in game development and it takes way too long for the new consoles to reach a profitable userbase. I think the costs involved make this absolutely the future state.

I think we've gotten a taste of it this generation, but the big difference maker is just how behind those consoles were when they were released in 2013 and their use of hard drives. As a result, I think we've seen largely the end of generations to a degree. I think the PS6 and X5 will simply be pro consoles essentially, with more modern architecture.

No. More games came out this year that do not support previous gen systems. You are way over thinking this. And Xbox already confirmed they are done with cross gen games. Every new cycle usually corssgej lasts from 2 to 3 years.

Starfield
Mortal Kombat 1 (not counting the useless ugly switch version)
Lords of the Fallen
Spiderman 2
Alan Wake 2
Baldur's Gate 3
Immortals of Aveum

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

I think Sony and to a lesser degree Microsoft and publishers are going to want to continue supporting the previous generation (this generation) moving forward, because there is just so much cost involved in game development and it takes way too long for the new consoles to reach a profitable userbase. I think the costs involved make this absolutely the future state.
Seems you already know the answer.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Yes.

Everything uses the same architecture. If the game isn't intense enough to warrant a system, it might as well play on the older system.

The only thing really holding that idea back is consoles "die", where as PC is all the same just with different hardware. Devs might not even bother putting a game on the older system.

No. More games came out this year that do not support previous gen systems. You are way over thinking this. And Xbox already confirmed they are done with cross gen games. Every new cycle usually corssgej lasts from 2 to 3 years.

You've misunderstood the question.

I said the future of gaming not the present. The PS4 and X1 do not support SSDs and have significantly less memory than current systems. They were underpowered as soon as they came out.

The question isn't whether cross-gen is going to continue in this generation, but rather if cross-gen will become more prevalent in generations to come. This generation already has had more cross-gen than the previous generation by far despite the hardware limitations.

The Xbox 360 got 12 versions of Madden. 4 years were cross gen with PS4/X1

So far the PS4/X1 has received 10 versions of Madden, with 4 cross-gen years already. Will next year's games come out on the previous generations or is it done?

StereoVsn

I am doubtful on Xbox side to Series S shenanigans. Otherwise generally yes and even on XSS they will figure something out. Maybe similar to Switch streaming games.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Yea there is really no reason not to. Like if you wanna play Stardew Valley 2 on a ps4 in a few years, might as well give them the option. It should also be a 2 way street. Games pushing the envelope of graphics now should also run better on PS6/ Xbox Series 4 so you don’t have to play Starfield in 30 fps or FFXVI in 720p. But console gamers are now conditioned to buying the same game multiple times.

According to the leaked slides from MS, they mentioned the next Xbox would be forward compatible. Could be due to them thinking of using ARM for the CPU.

You've misunderstood the question.

I said the future of gaming not the present. The PS4 and X1 do not support SSDs and have significantly less memory than current systems. They were underpowered as soon as they came out.

The question isn't whether cross-gen is going to continue in this generation, but rather if cross-gen will become more prevalent in generations to come. This generation already has had more cross-gen than the previous generation by far despite the hardware limitations.

The Xbox 360 got 12 versions of Madden. 4 years were cross gen with PS4/X1

So far the PS4/X1 has received 10 versions of Madden, with 4 cross-gen years already. Will next year's games come out on the previous generations or is it done?
I see. Well assuming the future consoles are all digital only (which looks like it will be ) I am going to assume some AI tech will be used for forward compatibility. Microsoft for example has always been all about game preservation with their BC initiative during the Xbox One era. I don't see that changing, they can utilize AI to make that happen someone.

For Sony I believe it will he a similar case. There are still plenty of good games that people may want to play on their shiny new toys with better resolution and frsmerste than ever before and AI can make that happen.

Cross gen means better graphics and frame rate.

Look at Cyberpunk 2077 and Horizon Forbidden West.

The moment a next gen title enters the fray, consoles drop to 720p 30fps.

I see. Well assuming the future consoles are all digital only (which looks like it will be ) I am going to assume some AI tech will be used for forward compatibility. Microsoft for example has always been all about game preservation with their BC initiative during the Xbox One era. I don't see that changing, they can utilize AI to make that happen someone.

For Sony I believe it will he a similar case. There are still plenty of good games that people may want to play on their shiny new toys with better resolution and frsmerste than ever before and AI can make that happen.

I doubt they'll be all digital, or else they'll run amock of regulators very easily. If they do choose to go all digital, they'll need to allow the sale of digital codes in stores.

I think the next-generation consoles will need to implement some level of AI tech, whether that is compression and decompression or ways to significantly improve on GPU and CPU performance. You look at things like AI accelerated raytracing and we could have serious decoupling of performance and results in the next generation depending on direction.

That being said, I think most games will still look to support some cross-gen functionality.

I doubt they'll be all digital, or else they'll run amock of regulators very easily. If they do choose to go all digital, they'll need to allow the sale of digital codes in stores.

I think the next-generation consoles will need to implement some level of AI tech, whether that is compression and decompression or ways to significantly improve on GPU and CPU performance. You look at things like AI accelerated raytracing and we could have serious decoupling of performance and results in the next generation depending on direction.

That being said, I think most games will still look to support some cross-gen functionality.
And how would digital codes work as a sale? Steam doe not allow you to sell your games as far as i am concered. Only refund and gift. You can already gift on the platforms. I've never sold codes to anyone ever and no one has ever asked me too sell one either. I never shopped on other digital pc platforms so j am not sure how the selling of digital codes even works.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
And how would digital codes work as a sale? Steam doe not allow you to sell your games as far as i am concered. Only refund and gift. You can already gift on the platforms. I've never sold codes to anyone ever and no one has ever asked me too sell one either. I never shopped on other digital pc platforms so j am not sure how the selling of digital codes even works.
Steam allows third parties to sell keys.

You can already buy digital codes for Xbox and you used to be able to for PlayStation. These aren't bought/sold by individuals but by retailers.

Valve doesn't own windows/PC so that's a key difference.

You can already buy digital codes for Xbox and you used to be able to for PlayStation. These aren't bought/sold by individuals but by retailers.

Valve doesn't own windows/PC so that's a key difference.
Oh. You mean those kind of digital codes. Sorry, I thought you meant like you buy a digital code in an online store but it doesn't redeem it or something and you can trade it or it keeps it in your unused code library or something. I am slow and dumb today.

Last edited:
Yea there is really no reason not to. Like if you wanna play Stardew Valley 2 on a ps4 in a few years, might as well give them the option. It should also be a 2 way street. Games pushing the envelope of graphics now should also run better on PS6/ Xbox Series 4 so you don’t have to play Starfield in 30 fps or FFXVI in 720p. But console gamers are now conditioned to buying the same game multiple times.

I think the biggest offender is Atlus.

They put out Persona 5 on PS3 and PS4. P5R on PS4, and then released a version of PS5R on PS5. None of these games supported cross-game save even though the PS4 and PS5 can easily support that and none of them included an upgrade path.

I appreciate a future where you can buy these games once and play them on newer consoles with the enhancements built in.

It's also a way to give life to these games for longer and maybe get a little more profitability out of these games, but I can promise I'd never buy P5R on PS5 for any nominal amount of money and I'm not sure I'd even play it for free without being able to play New game+ with my current save of 100+ hours. Maybe if it ended back up on PS+ and I decided to play from scratch out of boredom.

What they don't understand is the impact that has on some consumers like myself who will just wait to play their games at low cost and when it makes the most sense. I won't buy any of their games going forward at full price except for maybe Persona 6, whereas I probably would have been day 1 on Persona 3 remake if it included the whole game, but they're already talking about cutting content which they'll put in a Persona 3 Remake Plus game.

I've played a bit of Persona 4 on Steam, but would rather play on PS5, but I'm not going to play Persona 4 if a remake is likely on the horizon in the next few years. I'll just wait for that game too.

Their anti-consumerism is hurting them in the long run

Top Bottom