• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamingBolt: Xbox Has Forgotten What Matters Most...The GAMES

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In the coming months and years, Xbox will have to go through a period of self reflection and rebuilding, and I imagine they will have to decide how best to proceed in the market from here on out. I wish them all the luck (because I really do want them to do well), but they need to understand the centrality of games to this whole exercise - games need to be at the center of everything they do, and they need to design what informs and guides their engagement with games as a creative medium to begin with.

Failure to do this will only continue to result in more misfires and third place finishes for Xbox in the future.

Content, Hardware, Price, User Experience/Features

In each category the aim should be to better than what anyone else does. That’s not to say you cannot have your own vision , at the very least if you enter the same market as others, the aim long term should be to do better than what they do, otherwise what it is the point?

It’s not console fanboy war shit and anyone who does say it is are being disingenuous. What it is, healthy competition for the consumers money and time with your products.

I firmly believe Xbox can be a lot better than it currently is and can better compete with Sony/Nintendo. If the people at Xbox are putting roadblocks on that, then it’s those people who are the problem. They obviously won’t resign from their positions, it’s on them to do better or get people in who will.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

In each category the aim should be to better than what anyone else does. That’s not to say you cannot have your own vision , at the very least if you enter the same market as others, the aim long term should be to do better than what they do, otherwise what it is the point?

It’s not console fanboy war shit and anyone who does say it is are being disingenuous. What it is, healthy competition for the consumers money and time with your products.

I firmly believe Xbox can be a lot better than it currently is and can better compete with Sony/Nintendo. If the people at Xbox are putting roadblocks on that, then it’s those people who are the problem. They obviously won’t resign from their positions, it’s on them to do better or get people in who will.

Totally nailed it!

I personally think Microsoft is there on Hardware, Price, user experience and features.

Their problem is content, and thats glaringly obvious. I really hope they turn it around next month.

Mr.Phoenix

They are click baiting as they are always ate with their news like a week later.

It's like they have bing as their search engine.
I don't know about that cause I don't follow them. Just found it odd that someone would make that designation at the start of the thread without at least even watching the video.

Banjo64

cumsessed
They haven’t forgotten, hence why they announced a load of games with an infinity release date. They just can’t deliver.

They're wrong. They didn't forget about games, they just don't give a shit enough to put in the effort anymore to ensure they're quality.
Spencer all but confirmed this in the interview a few days ago.
The acquisition of Bethesda was finalized two years before Redfall released, they knew about the state of it and didn't do jack shit to fix it.
And no, it doesn't matter that bethesda/arcane aren't xbox game studio companies. Microsoft does own them after all.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
I don’t know, they’ve got plenty of games. The quality of those games on the other hand…
Larry Shrug GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

nemiroff

Gold Member
Xbox seems to be doing everything except focus on the games.

I don’t know, they’ve got plenty of games. The quality of those games on the other hand…

As one of the long time Microsoft studio oversight critics (I started talking about this years ago when MS seemingly didn't do anything when 343 started to ruin the Halo franchise game by game), I laugh at the trendy opportunistic clickbait grabbing headlines and narratives. It's nauseatingly unbalanced. Nevermind the fact that it was clear that Redfall was doomed before MS bought Bethesda, no matter how much patching it was never going to be a stellar title at launch. Didn't we see Microsoft named the publisher of the year last year with the highest average review score in history. pretty sure it wasn't just a hallucination. Microsoft doesn't have a game focus problem, they have a dilemma to find a good balance between oversight and artistic freedom. I mean, I doubt anyone would want the Microsoft corporation to micromanage developer and engineers in each projects in each studio.. But they have to have mechanisms to prevent collapses, to put some pressure and some fire under the best spots possible without putting the brakes on artistry. F.ex. I doubt 343 would be the disaster it became if MS figured this out and did something about it ealier. And why is f.ex. the studio reponsible for Minecraft, Mojang, a multi-billion dollar franchise being "allowed" to continue to put out mediocrity. But like I said; It's a dilemma, because in the other end of the spectrum you have MS studios like Playground games, and even partner studios like Asobo which does brillant under their own autonomy.

Last edited:

onQ123

Everyone just jumping on the bandwagon because it's a hot topic but when I tried to talk about the situation earlier all my threads was locked. Now the forums is being spammed by any & everything who wants to talk now that things is hitting the fan.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

I just don't understand the mindset with Microsoft. Why didn't they create a big marketing push for HiFi Rush? You know, the game that's actually really fucking good. Instead they bury it just so they can focus on Redfall, knowing full well it's broken. Smdh

Articles like these are for clicks, but then again so were all the Game Pass is the best deal in gaming articles from a year or so ago.

Kusarigama

When the head of Xbox himself is saying that in video games industry, having good video games isn't going to help them, they can't be more misguided. It is single biggest issue with Xbox right now and XboxP3 is trying to push blame away from their own short coming on to Sony by saying that Sony is blocking games from coming to xbox. Converse is also true Xbox has also blocked many games like Rise of the Tomb Raider, Cuphead, Redfall(lmao), Tunic etc

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Every outlet wants in on the Redfall outrage clicks.
Damage control.
The acquisition of Bethesda was finalized two years before Redfall released, they knew about the state of it and didn't do jack shit to fix it.
Blame Microsoft
As one of the long time Microsoft studio oversight critics (I started talking about this years ago when MS seemingly didn't do anything when 343 started to ruin the Halo franchise game by game), I laugh at the trendy opportunistic clickbait grabbing headlines and narratives. It's nauseatingly unbalanced. Nevermind the fact that it was clear that Redfall was doomed before MS bought Bethesda, no matter how much patching it was never going to be a stellar title at launch. Didn't we see Microsoft named the publisher of the year last year with the highest average review score in history. pretty sure it wasn't just a hallucination. Microsoft doesn't have a game focus problem, they have a dilemma to find a good balance between oversight and artistic freedom
? But enough Damage control.
I just don't understand the mindset with Microsoft. Why didn't they create a big marketing push for HiFi Rush? You know, the game that's actually really fucking good. Instead they bury it just so they can focus on Redfall, knowing full well it's broken. Smdh
Blame Microsoft.
All this publicity after RedFall's bad review. Had it been another HiFi Rush, life goes on, it's almost comical at this point.
Damage control.
Converse is also true Xbox has also blocked many games like Rise of the Tomb Raider, Cuphead, Redfall(lmao), Tunic etc
Blame Microsoft.
And to finish here:
Yes, ClickbaitBolt does there thing, but the damage control by fans is even more sad.
50/50. Half in this thread are doing damage control and the other half is blaming Microsoft for it. At least we have a video as a source this time and not a user opinion. For me this should be simple. Redfall is a huge fail. Let it go. We had a thread today about a rumor that said that Sony cancelled a sci fi shooter. Microsoft should have cancelled Redfall. Or make it better somehow. They didn't. This is on them. We will have a showcase from Xbox in a month. In the meantime let the people that are unhappy about this situation talk.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Damage control.

Blame Microsoft

? But enough Damage control.

Blame Microsoft.

Damage control.

Blame Microsoft.
And to finish here:

50/50. Half in this thread are doing damage control and the other half is blaming Microsoft for it. At least we have a video as a source this time and not a user opinion. For me this should be simple. Redfall is a huge fail. Let it go. We had a thread today about a rumor that said that Sony cancelled a sci fi shooter. Microsoft should have cancelled Redfall. Or make it better somehow. They didn't. This is on them. We will have a showcase from Xbox in a month. In the meantime let the people that are unhappy about this situation talk.
I tried to explain my reasons and put at least a minimum of meat on the bones (which CLEARLY critiqued MS from multiple angles), and all you reduce it to is "damage control"..? You're not doing much to make room for people to make an honest effort for engagement on this board are you. Now time for my expert analysis; I see your post as little more than wishful and condescending rewriting to fit your narrative. How about that.

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
I tried to explain my reasons and put at least a minimum of meat on the bones, and all you reduce it to is "damage control"..? You're not doing much to make room for people to make an honest effort for engagement on this board are you. Now time for my expert analysis; I see your post as little more than wishful and condescending rewriting to fit your narrative. How about that.
Sorry for both the damage control thing and the fit your narative thing then. Yours was not bad, I just needed one more to be 50/50. I think that each time in the last few days that I read a thread and try to,there is either people damning Xbox,sometimes misusing what Phil said, or defending it to the point of being a caricature of themselves. I normally don't post like this. But I think that the repetition got to me. Sorry again.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Sorry for both the damage control thing and the fit your narative thing then. Yours was not bad, I just needed one more to be 50/50. I think that each time in the last few days that I read a thread and try to,there is either people damning Xbox,sometimes misusing what Phil said, or defending it to the point of being a caricature of themselves. I normally don't post like this. But I think that the repetition got to me. Sorry again.
Ah, ok, got it. I somehow got triggered because I tried to put a minimum of multi-angle effort and it seemed to get reduced down to a binary. I misread you, then overreacted, so that's my bad. Thanks for replying, you're ok in my eyes.

Edit: Thanks moderator, appreciate it :)

Last edited:

Nydius

File under "D" for "Duh".
Anyone who has been a multiplatform gamer for the last decade knows this is the case.

Xbox forgot that it was the games that mattered before the end of the X360 era when they started trend chasing with Kinect. That was the beginning of their ten year long slide. Kinect, then the blunder Xbox One reveal, a streak of middling Halo games, and Gears games that, while not bad, simply weren't anything groundbreaking compared to their predecessors. Bungled game launches like Sea of Thieves that took literal years to finally establish itself as a decent new property. Forza Motorsport and Forza Horizon have been doing a lot of work to keep the Xbox brand afloat. Without the Zenimax acquisition, they'd have nothing this year except Motorsport.

The only people who argue otherwise are single console, Xbox-only fanboys who have been bamboozled by a decade of PR spin telling them that "THIS year will be THE year of Xbox", only for the year to come and go with little to nothing to show for it. They've been brainwashed into believing Sony and Nintendo are the root of all their problems and act like a persecuted religious minority when the real problem has been, and always will be, located in Redmond, Washington.

Last edited:

Raven117

Yeah...they just haven't seen the fruits of their studio acquisitions just yet.

HiFi Rush was pretty great though.

Yoboman

All this publicity after RedFall's bad review. Had it been another HiFi Rush, life goes on, it's almost comical at this point.
Yes it would have, but that's not what happened

First AAA game from the in a year and a half and they dropped the ball big time. First AAA game from their acquisitions and they dropped the ball

LastBattle

Gamepass, an entire service dedicated to delivering games, means Xbox forgot about games. Huh. It's actually "WeForgotpass." 30 studios will also never ever deliver any games, surely not any good games!
I can only speak for myself, but I’ve had a series x since launch and am not even CLOSE to getting through my gamepass play later list. The quantity of quality content is absurd and it just keeps growing.

Nydius

The quantity of quality content is absurd and it just keeps growing.

Yep. Just keeps growing like the shitty PC shovelware section of a Staples store circa 2006.

Game Pass != Games. But keep groveling at the feet of subscription services, the reason you keep getting low quality output shit like Redfall.

LastBattle

Yep. Just keeps growing like the shitty PC shovelware section of a Staples store circa 2006.

Game Pass != Games. But keep groveling at the feet of subscription services, the reason you keep getting low quality output shit like Redfall.
It wouldn’t be referred to as “the best deal in gaming” by gamers and industry pundits if it was made up of shovel ware. One average game (Redfall) doesn’t cancel all the other great content and more fantastic games will certainly come.

ms isn't trying to 'compete' in the traditional sense of team/product competition. ms' original, log-term plan was basically to 1) get in the game, & then 2) fundamentally alter both the way that the game's played, & the playing field itself, in order to simply 'position' itself in first place. but their plan hit a wall at the kinect/tv stage, & they've been basically adrift & in search of another long-term plan ever since. 'competing' just doesn't seem to be in their corporate nature, or they certainly would've returned to all those things they did so well during the og/360 stage by now...

Kacho

They have loads of great stuff in the works. It’s just a question of whether their studios can deliver.

That doesn’t go for everyone though. Studios like Coalition, Turn 10 and Playground Games are all known quanties, so when we get a new Gears or Forza you know what you’re going to get. id’s next game is also a safe bet.

The problem is 343 and unknowns like The Initiative, in addition to historically ‘mid’ studios like Undead Labs, inXile and Ninja Theory. It’s a lot of work to build them up and ensure they’re delivering stuff that will meet consumers expectations.

Baki

Xbox has premier studios and franchises even without ABK. They can certainly compete on quantity and quality. It might require a management shake-up and management rolling up their sleeves to boost the internal studios support network.

graywolf323

Yes it would have, but that's not what happened

First AAA game from the in a year and a half and they dropped the ball big time. First AAA game from their acquisitions and they dropped the ball
don’t bother, everyone know this isn’t because Redfall is some sort of isolated incident but some keep pushing that narrative because what else do they have?

Top Bottom