• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gas prices falling nearly everywhere but California

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripon

Gas prices are tumbling, except where they're not. Nationwide, average prices are falling at the fastest rate since January due to cheaper crude oil costs and the resolution of some refinery issues but in California, the gap between local prices and the rest of the country is bigger than ever.

AAA says that by the middle of last week, the national average price of gas had dropped for 16 days in row for a total of 11 cents per gallon. The national average price of gas on Wednesday was $2.66 per gallon, which is the lowest average for this time of year since 2009.

“It feels good to see gas prices drop during the middle of the busy summer driving season,” said Avery Ash, AAA spokesman. “Millions of people are hitting the roads right now and these gas savings should make their trips more affordable.”

But in California, the nation's most populous state, a different record has been broken -- this one for the biggest gap between what California consumers have paid at the pump versus the rest of the nation.

The nonprofit group Consumer Watchdog says Californians paid $1.2 billion more, after tax differentials, than the rest of the nation in the month of July, a record, and $4.8 billion more for their gasoline over the last six months ending July 31st, since gas price spikes started.

That amounts to $201 extra paid by each California driver, according to the group’s calculations.

Consumer Watchdog's analysis of state data found that oil refiners were able to triple refiner margins the second week of July to a record $1.61 a gallon, representing the amount of money refiners receive for each gallon sold at the pump. The historical margin over the last fifteen years is 48 cents. The margin since the price spike began in February has averaged $1.05 per gallon, the group said.

A Chevron spokesman said the higher prices in California are the result of a fire at one refinery, a strike another, higher state taxes and a new state-mandated fuel regulation.

"While it is easy for groups like Consumer Watchdog and individuals like Tom Steyer to take one factor in our earnings out of context, what can't be taken out of context is the fact that many policies backed by Steyer are already increasing fuel prices for California consumers," Chevron's Braden Reddall said, AP reported.
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/gas-prices-falling-nearly-everywhere-but-california-080915.html

It's definitely lower in California than it was a few weeks ago, but yeah, we're still well above $3/gallon. Hopefully it falls a bit more before I drive hundreds of miles in a couple weeks, but by then the prices could already be back on the upswing.

California and, to a lesser extent, the entire west coast is a separate gasoline market due to the Rocky Mountains and different gasoline blends.

And right now there are those refinery issues. Who knows if they are valid or manufactured.

liquid-pipelines-map-530.jpg

jmdajr

California and, to a lesser extent, the entire west coast is a separate gasoline market due to the Rocky Mountains and different gasoline blends.

And right now there are those refinery issues. Who knows if they are valid or manufactured.

Cool map

Gas just went up $.17a litre here in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada (to $1.21/litre).

That's $3.68/gallon. Prices continue to climb here as oil drops. It's very infuriating.

Tekniqs

gas went up by 10 cents at my local chevron. I did a "wtf" take cuz I just read oil is at its lowest in the last 6 years

theWB27

Gas jumped to 3 bucks here in Indy because...leaks. I don't know how long the leaks will leak, but it was down to about 220 or so before the leaks.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
What? Because of the refinery "issue" in Indiana, prices in the midwest went up almost a dollar today.

M52B28

Banned
I spent half of my paycheck on gas. Gas in SF is like $4.25. Forgot to mention that I can only use Premium or 91.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They don't even tell you what it is, but its $3.56 as of 2 days ago.

MultiCore

Legislators have repeatedly stated their goals are to drive the price of gas up to $10/gallon in order to 'encourage' people to either cut back on their driving or buy electric cars(the price of electricity also being outrageous and heavily regulated).

SHOCKING NEWS, to say the least.

Velcro Fly

Gas up like 70 cents near me since Monday

Of course the local refinery is having problems! Yeah gas was almost $2 a gallon

My office is a block away from the Torrance refinery that blew up a few months ago, and I can confirm there was definitely an explosion.

FZZ

Banned
Still can't believe it was $4+ a few weeks ago.

It better fucking be sub $3 by the end of this month.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Heard on the radio today a major refinery in Indiana for the Chicagoland area is down as well. Reportedly down for a month. Prices went up around here as well.

EDIT:
Here's a news article for it as well. Radio was mentioning that August is the 2nd highest month in the year where people are on the road (could be wrong). How unfortunate...right?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Heard on the radio today a major refinery in Indiana for the Chicagoland area is down as well. Reportedly down for a month. Prices went up around here as well.

We need a timeline of refineries going down/exploding versus national average of gas prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom