• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gas prices falling nearly everywhere but California

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valnen

Legislators have repeatedly stated their goals are to drive the price of gas up to $10/gallon in order to 'encourage' people to either cut back on their driving or buy electric cars(the price of electricity also being outrageous and heavily regulated).

SHOCKING NEWS, to say the least.

All that's gonna do is put poor/lower middle class people on the streets when they can't drive to their jobs.

Legislators have repeatedly stated their goals are to drive the price of gas up to $10/gallon in order to 'encourage' people to either cut back on their driving or buy electric cars(the price of electricity also being outrageous and heavily regulated).

SHOCKING NEWS, to say the least.

Nice conspiracy theory. Care to provide some evidence?

Syriel

Someone should go Chavez on these rent-seeking price-colluding oil companies.

CA gas prices are mostly due to CA requiring a special blend just for CA.

It's the coffee equivalent of the rest of the US ordering drip coffee, but CA mandating that drip isn't good enough for its citizens, so mandating that only espresso may be sold.

xbhaskarx

California and, to a lesser extent, the entire west coast is a separate gasoline market due to the Rocky Mountains and different gasoline blends.

liquid-pipelines-map-530.jpg

Cool map, I had never seen this before...

So the obvious question is: What are the gas prices like in Nevada, Arizona, Oregon, and Washington?

Tripon

Cool map, I had never seen this before...

So the obvious question is: What are the gas prices like in Nevada, Arizona, Oregon, and Washington?
Nevada around the Las Vegas area is a full dollar below Southern California, despite getting theirngas from CA refineries.

Just had this issue in Indiana today. Went from $2.30 to $2.55 in some places, $2.99 in others. All because of a goddamn refinery.

It was $3.59 at the place across from my apartment last night (cheapest non costco location in Mar Vista).

I'm glad I have a short commute and only have to fill my tank once a month.

It was like $3.89 last time I filled up.

$2.89 north of Seattle. Should be cheaper given crude prices, on the other hand we just got hit with an additional 7 cents a gallon tax.

About $2.99 south of Seattle (Pierce County) if you go to Arco, but most of the majors are still over $3.

(there's a station in Puyallup that has zero-Ethanol premium. They want over four bucks a gallon. I think I know who they are catering to.)

Aside from the coast and the weather, California really sucks ass. They tax the hell out of us.

Cali doesn't tax for shit compared to a state in a real liberal western democracy. It only looks like they tax heavily compared to southern shitholes that neglect their citizenry.

Hanzou

Gas just went up $.17a litre here in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada (to $1.21/litre).

That's $3.68/gallon. Prices continue to climb here as oil drops. It's very infuriating.
Gas just jumped up to 1.37 her in Kelowna bc. That is the same price gas was last year when oil was over $100 a barrel. Fuck this shit. Old companies and the whole market is just fucked.

Beartruck

Falling everywhere my ass. In Chicago it just jumped from 2.48 to 3.19 in the span of only a couple days for some godforsaken reason.

Still have no idea why gas prices have gone back up by me in the last 2 or 3 weeks

In the NW suburbs of Chicago

Was $2.49 a gallon 2 or 3 weeks ago and is now $2.79

Why? :(

Falling everywhere my ass. In Chicago it just jumped from 2.48 to 3.19 in the span of only a couple days for some godforsaken reason.

Yeah can someone explain why Chicagoland is going the opposite direction? :(

-------------

Oh no, the refinery problems are apparently contagious :(

http://www.jsonline.com/business/re...g-in-upper-midwest-b99555789z1-321569541.html

OK . . . you claimed "Legislators have repeatedly stated their goals are to drive the price of gas up to $10/gallon". Presumably California Legislators.

And then you posted two articles about Steven Chu. No, one article about Steven Chu and one raving editorial. This is so wrong on so many levels.

1) Steven Chu has never been any type of Legislator.
2) Chu worked for the Federal government, not California.
3) The quote was made by Steven Chu as a private citizen BEFORE he was tapped to be Energy secretary. Steven Chu bikes to work and is a strong advocate for fighting against climate change. But as Energy secretary he toed the administration line . . . an administration that has not raised the gas tax by a penny and has implemented policies that helped DROP the price of gas to the low levels of today.
4) The "$10/gallon" aspect was from Newt Gingrich misquoting and exaggerating the Steven Chu quote.
5) Steven Chu is no longer even the Energy secretary!

California definitely has very strong policies pushing for ZEVs (Zero emission vehicles). And we did have a hike on the gas tax as part of the carbon emission restrictions signed into law by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

But trying to get gas prices to $10/gallon? No, they haven't done that.

BTW, if you live in California, you should really look into EVs. There are some really great deals on them due to the CARB rules, Fed tax-credits, and state incentives. And driving on electricity is very cheap.

Yeah, it was either $2.30 or $2.40 here where I am in Michigan two days ago, now it's $3. Of course a refinery in Indiana had to have an "outage".

Zing

Banned
Gas price drops 11 cents per gallon...

"Tumbling"

Here in Canada that would be simply a daily variance.

CA gas prices are mostly due to CA requiring a special blend just for CA.

It's the coffee equivalent of the rest of the US ordering drip coffee, but CA mandating that drip isn't good enough for its citizens, so mandating that only espresso may be sold.

The new and convenient refinery "outage" in Michigan/Indiana has bumped yesterday's $3.24/g to $3.69/g. I can understand the prices lagging by two days on the way down, the gas stations have to sell the gas above the price they bought it at. The two day lag is non-existent on the way up of course.

Diablos

The more things change the more they stay the same.

We have the engineering talent, we have technology and ideas... but we won't act on any of this. And so another decade will go by where we depend on a finite resource that is destined to increase in price to levels that are simply not affordable for many of us.

The idea that we are still depending so much on oil for transportation in the year 2015 is baffling to me. I just filled up my tank this week so I know I'm a bit hypocritical, but if I have to drive I have no other choice.

Tekniqs

local (south california) circle K jumped up 20cents from yesterday. Wtf is going on? lol. Oil prices dropping and somehow california gas price always comes up.
it's not like we're being affected by refinery problems in the midwest......right?

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Went up around 20¢ overnight here in Oklahoma (I think). Usually our shit stays on the low side of things.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Jumped up near 30 cents in a day, feels bad man. I live just outside Milwaukee

yeah... milwaukee too. stupid. :\

worst part is I am'was at like 1/4-1/3 a tank and figured "meh, I'll get gas in the next couple of days" and now see it around $3.

California and, to a lesser extent, the entire west coast is a separate gasoline market due to the Rocky Mountains and different gasoline blends.

And right now there are those refinery issues. Who knows if they are valid or manufactured.

liquid-pipelines-map-530.jpg

Yup, this post nails it. One of the largest refineries in California (Exxon Mobil refinery in Torrance) had an explosion in their unit that produces gasoline, and it was real bad.

resize

That happened early this year. Still is being fixed now. California has its own gasoline blend that is more environmentally safe, and without any pipelines heading to the state from the Gulf Coast, if their refineries aren't producing gasoline, they need to import from Asia or get another refiner from the West Coast or Gulf Coast to make a special blend for them. Which gets suuuuuuuuuuuuper expensive.

I cover the oil industry, so I've learned a lot about how nuts California gets. When a refiner is short product, bulk prices can for real jump 50 cents/gal in a day.

dionysus

Yaldog
The new and convenient refinery "outage" in Michigan/Indiana has bumped yesterday's $3.24/g to $3.69/g. I can understand the prices lagging by two days on the way down, the gas stations have to sell the gas above the price they bought it at. The two day lag is non-existent on the way up of course.

The company with the outage would not benefit at all from the price surge so would not have an incentive to fake it. If the companies were colluding they would all cut production by some small percentage, not shut down an entire train at just one company while the other companies produce at full tilt and reap the rewards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom