• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GBA SMB1 (NES Classic) controls aren't as responsive as the NES version, or is it me?

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
So I was in BB yesterday and they had a GBA hooked up with SMB inside. I was in the mood for some nostalgia so I started playing. I worked my way up to level 4-1 in short order and then I noticed something.

Ever since I first started playing SMB, to finished level 4-1 (the level with the Lakitu) what I always did was sprint though the entire level and jump over everything (pirahna plants and all) to stay ahead of the the falling spinies. Towards the latter half of the level there are two pits, one right after the other. I would always just run full speed and jump over them both but when I tried the GBA version the controls weren't fast enough. Instead of jumping again Mario would just run right into the next pit. I tried this several times and I couldn't pull it off at full speed.

I know I used to do it in the NES version so when I got home I did just that. I fired up my NES and SMB, got to level 4-1 and made the double jump with no problems at all. I even killed myself on purpose to try it a few times and it worked like a charm every time.

Now how is this possible? The games are emulated right? Are the nearly 20 year buttons on the NES pads some how superior to the buttons on the GBA? The layout is virtually identical so I serious doubt that it was just me trying to get used to the controls. Could the emulator somehow be reponsible for the delay?

Baron

img024.JPG

Prospero

I found the GBA controls to be a little sluggish as well, but I'm used to playing SMB1 on a Mac OS X NES emulator, not the NES itself.

Top Bottom