• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genetically modified wheat found on Oregon farm, not supposed to exist in the US

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Naturally occurring variants of those plants I agree, though if I do research into a crop and find that altering a base pair or two would provide some massively beneficial trait why shouldn't I be able to own that?

I don't see it as anymore ridiculous than being able to own land.

I agree in principle, but there are some nasty ramifications in practice though, unfortunately... especially when it comes to agriculture.

I'm more concerned about Monsanto or some other company trying to sue farmers for growing their patented crops when the farmers clearly didn't buy or "steal" the seed. Obviously some migratory bird grabbed some wheat seed in its flight and dropped it off in Oregon.

Life finds a way.

This..

SamVimes

I'm more concerned about Monsanto or some other company trying to sue farmers for growing their patented crops when the farmers clearly didn't buy or "steal" the seed. Obviously some migratory bird grabbed some wheat seed in its flight and dropped it off in Oregon.

Life finds a way.
Again, this is simply not true.

Also anyone talking about biodiversity should bother actually looking up the stuff before saying shit on the internet: gmos don't have anything to do with monocoltures, they actually help biodiversity because some varieties actually get to survive just thanks to the gmos!
Examples? The Hawaiian papaya probably wouldn't have survived the ringspot virus if it wasn't for the GMO resistant variety: http://www.gmo-compass.org/eng/groc...ically_modified_papayas_virus_resistance.html

Also forgive me if i'm not making myself clear, english isn't my first language and some stuff specific stuff is hard to translate properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom