• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genshin Impact |OT| 4.0 (Fontaine) - Je m'appelle "la baleine"

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Thinking about getting the pass too - if for no other reason than to throw the devs $5.

I'm rank 17, still got quite a bit to do.

Reactions: Isa

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
Just got lvl 4 Razor, Ningguang, Fischl, Xiangling, and Noelle from the first beginner banner pull. I don’t know if these characters are good or not.

That an honestly great pull. Razor and Xiang are two of the best four star DPS characters, and Fischl is one of the best support classes in the game period. You also don't have to worry about Spiral Abyss now to unlock Xiang, unless you really want to, or you want a free upgrade to her first constellation skill. If you're not already aware, duplicate characters in this game unlock additional skills.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Yep, don’t worry. And the rumoured 1.1 update is supposed to add a new area. The game is very profitable. We can expect a lot of expansions in the future.

That is cool, but will the area be like an extension to Mondstadt or will it be some place different altogether? The issue with the trophy is that the two areas require you to get 400 and 800 chests respectively. So if a new area is added that is separate from both, then those chests won't count towards the trophy.

Larxia

yBHjb3o.png

Is this a good a pull? Been trying to get Jean but that's what I get.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

I don't know how to make gifs work with videos so I just chose something else to cover the UID you can't fucking disable. I should just put a black bar over em bah.

DISwGKT.png

Last edited by a moderator:

MagnesG

Banned
I'm kinda having more BOTW flashback now that I've digested the gameplay loop quite a bit. Though if anything it really solidifies how great BOTW game design is. It's all the little things I've noticed that kept me going for more. The sound effects, easily identified visual cues in real time even for measly chest and the high risk high pay gameplay.

I've some issues though, I need faster party change setup, more fluid climbing mechanics and maybe some tweaks for bow users.

Javthusiast

Banned
Found a great comment on the gameinformer review that mirrors my thoughts on the game better than I could write them and I am too lazy anyway so just gonna quote:

Deltath Riylaan
And the full experience is on offer here. This isn't a PVP game where the minute stat differences in characters means you have an edge. The base story characters you get for free are extremely powerful and more than effective enough to play through the entire game. You also get tons of free currency to grab a few of the gacha pull characters, though none of them are truly better. You mention the story lets you temporarily play the "all-star" characters, but from my experience they aren't any better than the team I have. Not even a tiny bit. They're just different. Different elements or weapons or specials, etc.

To be honest, the game couldn't have hit a better balance with free to play and paid transactions. It's a completely PVE game with some online co-op multiplayer. There's no real power to gain from the gacha system. It's more about preference and which characters you may like. And it's already overly generous. It's also wildly unobtrusive. There are no popups, no ads, no constant reminders to spend money on the new characters or items. There's just a little menu tucked away on the options screen that lets you spend cash if you want. You call it pay to power, I call it brilliant.

There's no reason to spend that money unless you're diehard deep and want to support the game, because you can experience absolutely everything as is. If this is the future of free to play gaming, it's perfect. Make a great AAA game. Give it away for free. Offer some fun ways to spend money but make sure the entire game experience is fully fleshed out without spending money. Get players heavily invested in the quality of the product and let their own enjoyment and excitement eventually encourage them to spend money because it's a legitimately good product. Everyone wins. No one is pulled in by disgustingly necessary microtransations that people MUST do to progress. And anyone who wants to pay knows they're doing it without horrible coercion. Then those who can't or don't want to pay still get a full, quality game.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Anyone else reading the manga?

MagnesG

Banned
Found a great comment on the gameinformer review that mirrors my thoughts on the game better than I could write them and I am too lazy anyway so just gonna quote:
Good *5 chars are definitely better even without talents upgrades. Higher dps, easier to score maneuver and most importantly having better movesets and special abilities than others.

Those character trials just don't give you much time to experiment they just throw you in, I think that's why most people thought they suck, or at least not infinitely better.

LOLCats

Banned
Fischl, Xiangling and Noelle, 4 stars with the beginners rolls. was reading a bit on the game, not completely sure how it all works yet, but its definitely a little fun. Gonna fire it up again after NFL.

Lanrutcon

Are you loading the game off an HDD? Try an SSD. I never get stuttering on PC. Though my specs are probably massive overkill for something like this.

Yes. Only PS4 is not cross-save.

My specs are also massive overkill and I get drops every now and then as I cross the landscape. I am also on an SSD.

mcz117chief

There is something that really annoys me with Mona, when you move around as her, there is a constant emitting, twinkling noise, it sounds like if there was some kind of secret nearby, it's really distracting and annoying.

But somehow I don't see anyone else talking about it.

Yeah, I see how that can get annoying. Lisa's lantern is also jingling, which is distracting me as well.

Lanrutcon

What's the verdict on this? Worth playing if you're an RPG fan?

Ehhhh....

It's very cleverly disguised gacha game, and here's what gacha games do: they give you an initial load of currencies and resources. Your first few levels are always easy. Free keys. Free rubies. Free pulls. Gosh, look how fast I'm advancing. This game is great.

But you look closely and those easy sources of advancement are always finite. The load of gems was for signing up. That bunch of gold was for only for the first time you finish the dungeon. You'll never have it that easy again, because now the game needs to make money and every step has a dollar sign. None of this is a secret: we've all played these kinds of games before.

So as I'm playing Genshin I'm having fun right now. It's all loot and exploration and new stuff unlocking. Lots of fun. 9/10 game. Tell your friends...but how much of that is because I'm still in the honeymoon period? How long is that going to last? When is the game going to realise I didn't pay $60 for this JRPG and stop being nice to me? I can already see the cracks forming. Beat up a tough enemy but didn't have enough "energy" to open the chest it dropped. Tried running a dungeon the second time and got 1/10th of the loot. Tried leveling up my dudes after advancing and boy, the xp requirement curve isn't a curve all of a sudden...it's a cliff. Lots of arbitrary restrictions being put on activities, lots of layered currencies, lots of stuff dropping but very little of it actually doing anything, etc. Your typical gacha obfuscation tactics.

So I'm pretty sure it's going to be a lot of fun for a week or so, and then it'll turn into "log on once a day for 30 minutes to do your daily stuff" like these games usually do. Those 9/10 reviews should be taken with a grain of salt, as we've yet to see how miserable the endgame experience is going to be.

Last edited:

LOLCats

Banned
i should just upgrade the characters i like or no? or just spend all the upgrades on the traveler?

kinda confused on that when my traveler is level 16 but party members, level 7-8

Last edited:

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
i should just upgrade the characters i like or no? or just spend all the upgrades on the traveler?

kinda confused on that when my traveler is level 16 but party members, level 7-8

Going by your situation specifically, Xiang is one of the best four star DPS characters in the game. If you like using her over the Traveler, I'd definitely use my upgrades on her instead. Once you bump her up to 20, just hold onto the rest of your XP upgrades for a long while, until you start to need higher levels again. I always suggests putting your main XP behind a character that is good in the current tier listings, and that you enjoy using. If both of those requirements are met, you should be in a good position to both succeed and enjoy the game.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
So I'm pretty sure it's going to be a lot of fun for a week or so, and then it'll turn into "log on once a day for 30 minutes to do your daily stuff" like these games usually do. Those 9/10 reviews should be taken with a grain of salt, as we've yet to see how miserable the endgame experience is going to be.

Even a week of fun for free seems like a pretty sweet deal to me.

LegendOfKage

Gold Member

It'll likely be far more than a week if you don't waste your resources leveling every character you have. You want to concentrate on ONE character, and only level the others if they're so weak that they can't even be used effectively for setting up combos. Getting two or three characters to level 20 isn't a bad idea. Working on three or four characters at once, and trying to get them all up into level 30, 40, 50, etc, that's when you're going to run out of resources quickly.

Lanrutcon

Right, and I think that's important to note: this thing is free, and high quality. Even if I just get a week out of it and then stop I'd have to give it a decent review score.

Aion002

Ehhhh....

It's very cleverly disguised gacha game, and here's what gacha games do: they give you an initial load of currencies and resources. Your first few levels are always easy. Free keys. Free rubies. Free pulls. Gosh, look how fast I'm advancing. This game is great.

But you look closely and those easy sources of advancement are always finite. The load of gems was for signing up. That bunch of gold was for only for the first time you finish the dungeon. You'll never have it that easy again, because now the game needs to make money and every step has a dollar sign. None of this is a secret: we've all played these kinds of games before.

So as I'm playing Genshin I'm having fun right now. It's all loot and exploration and new stuff unlocking. Lots of fun. 9/10 game. Tell your friends...but how much of that is because I'm still in the honeymoon period? How long is that going to last? When is the game going to realise I didn't pay $60 for this JRPG and stop being nice to me? I can already see the cracks forming. Beat up a tough enemy but didn't have enough "energy" to open the chest it dropped. Tried running a dungeon the second time and got 1/10th of the loot. Tried leveling up my dudes after advancing and boy, the xp requirement curve isn't a curve all of a sudden...it's a cliff. Lots of arbitrary restrictions being put on activities, lots of layered currencies, lots of stuff dropping but very little of it actually doing anything, etc. Your typical gacha obfuscation tactics.

That's the bad gacha design.

The good gacha has a few ways to keep you entertained:

The story is good and the pve is easy, like in Grand Order, Gran Blue or Epic Seven, so you keep coming back because you end up caring about the world and characters.

The free currency is generous and daily, like in Epic Seven and Gran Blue. So playing is rewarded.

Low rarity units are good, like Grand Order, so the gacha is never a problem.

The pvp is interesting and doable for F2P, like E7. Building units is fun.

Genshin Impact is none of those, it has a bad story, low rates, scarce currency and no pvp. It's just like the other Mihoyo game, Honkai Impact, it's pretty, has some shallow gameplay that is kinda fun and thats it. Like you said, at first is fun... Then it's boring. Which is a shame.

Fake

I recommend, unless you want to get stuck in dungeons and some boss around the world. Just try not get the same char fighting style and element and you're good to go.

Last edited:

Mithos

Been playing on PS4 for a a day or two.
Fun to just run around and explore and kill some monsters.

All characters I got atm:

5-Star:

"Traveler"
Qiqi

4-Star:

Amber
Barbara
Beidou
Lisa
Noelle
Chongyon
Kaeya
Razor
Xiangling

Last edited:

Larxia

Yeah, I see how that can get annoying. Lisa's lantern is also jingling, which is distracting me as well.
Lisa's sound doesn't bother me as much because it's a bit more subtle and synced with the steps sounds, feels more natural, even if I understand how it can be annoying too, but this... it's too much imo.

Last edited:
Playing the game made me wish this was full-priced title without all the gatcha bullshit. Right now, I’m in honeymoon period and everything is great and enjoyable but I know it won’t last too long. They need to earn their money. Shame because there are so many impressive stuff with this game like graphics, world, gameplay mechanics and systems etc.

Neolombax

Gold Member
On my way to the 2nd region, wished the performance on the base PS4 was a bit better. It chugs at times, but it doesnt deter me from playing the game.

So far no 5 star units yet. I've yet to find a unit that I really enjoy playing, but the ones that I have now are fun enough. Got to try Diluc for a story mission, which was a hero I've wanted to play as even before the game released, was not as fun as I thought he would be. The last 10 gacha pull gave me all weapons, so that sucks.

The thing that keeps me going is the art style. Everything looks clean and vibrant. The characters, enemies and weapon designs are really great. It baffles me that this is a F2P game.

InterMusketeer

Gold Member
I've been playing for a few hours. The gameplay is fun, and I'm real impressed by how all of this runs on my phone. It's just the gatcha stuff... Only got one character that wasn't part of the story or guaranteed (Some kinda lady pirate). It's kinda annoying seeing a friend pull 4 characters on his first 10× spin, and I'm left with virtually nothing. I'm not sure I even like any of these guys, so hesitant to level them up in any way. I got a 4-star spear, but no spear-wielding character to give it to. Thanks game. I know you can enjoy the game perfectly fine with just the base characters, but I just wanted to pull at least one character I actually want. The grind is more than acceptable now that I'm getting free stuff every level or so, but how is it gonna turn out when the current event stops? Time will tell if this remains fun to play.

Jedge

Ehhhh....

This pretty much sum's up my thought's on the game. I'm having fun currently. Then you'll need to roll your 5star characters over and over again to get the constellation's and best in slot weapon (especially for endgame content). Even if you farm like crazy you won't be able to roll over and over $$$.

MagnesG

Banned
Just wait for events and they'll give some bits for free players too then, and as always hoard your resources until some event boosts come.
If anything you shouldn't spend such a long time for F2P anyway, so if there's a gate blocking your progress just take it slow until some events come.

They absolutely need all of the pool players not just the whales. If they're smart, which they do if we look at how Honkai Impact does, they won't abandon the F2P players.

John Day

Going slow, still AR 11 but NOT bored at all yet. It has been fun all around these past few days (not sure how many hours game time).

Again, for being free, game is amazing. Shed away your fears of gasha and try it!

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Leveling up friendship is a damn grind

What do you even get from it?
Friendship, duh.

Just wait for events and they'll give some bits for free players too then, and as always hoard your resources until some event boosts come.
If anything you shouldn't spend such a long time for F2P anyway, so if there's a gate blocking your progress just take it slow until some events come.

They absolutely need all of the pool players not just the whales. If they're smart, which they do if we look at how Honkai Impact does, they won't abandon the F2P players.
I just want that blonde? chinese girl. I care not for the upcoming pretty boy.

That's the bad gacha design.

The good gacha has a few ways to keep you entertained:

The story is good and the pve is easy, like in Grand Order, Gran Blue or Epic Seven, so you keep coming back because you end up caring about the world and characters.
lol

The free currency is generous and daily, like in Epic Seven and Gran Blue. So playing is rewarded.
Dailies give you free rolls on this game as well.

The pvp is interesting and doable for F2P, like E7. Building units is fun.
PvP in most gachas are two things. Either a complete joke to get more trash you are also grinding for or try hard trash. This game doesn't have pvp, it doesn't need it either. It is a single player game with co-op on the side. No idea what point you were trying to raise here...

Genshin Impact is none of those
It actually has gameplay and if you have some skill you can beat other things withing the game...even with the provided "free" characters. Don't get me wrong, the game could be better in multiple areas (jump attack, more enemy variety, more side quests) but all those other games you mentioned are way worse and rely on people that have put years on said games to not abandon them for better things.

it has a bad story
Who plays gacha games for their stories? I have yet to play a gacha that had a decent story. People usually play these games for the music, something quick to play and the characters more than anything.

BJK

I’ve been playing this weekend, and I’m enjoying it quite a bit, even though my beginner banner pulls didn’t result in a 5* (and I’m playing on PS4 so no rerolling).

Should be able to keep playing with traveler, Lisa, Chongyon, and Xiangling as my main party...at least until I hit Level 20 (at 17 right now). Made 1 pull on the Venti banner, meaning I will have to see whether I have the currency to guaranty a 5* drop before the banner ends. Aside from having to stop & eat way too often (which is how I beat BotW in all honesty), I don’t feel underpowered with a 4* party....which is surprising for a f2p game.

YukiOnna

What's the verdict on this? Worth playing if you're an RPG fan?
I'd say so. It's a very well made free game- though I am biased because I also think Honkai Impact (mihoyo's other game) is great. Yes, the End-game might end up grindy, but I don't think there's a MMO, SP RPG, or Online game that doesn't end up grindy or have some form of it, but one can cross that road when they get there. Likewise with the content cap, it feels more like when you're capped in an MMO than a mobage. Cannot be said enough the world is beautiful and they nailed the feel of a traditional RPG adventure.

After toying enough with the combat, it reminds me most of Nier Automata with the physics manipulation of BOTW.

Kumomeme

Ehhhh....

this. i wonder how it will be for long period. at first every thing is like a dream. but later? this is f2p...the devs eventually need to cover up for cost. there always catch to each bussiness model.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
this. i wonder how it will be for long period. at first every thing is like a dream. but later? this is f2p...the devs eventually need to cover up for cost. there always catch to each bussiness model.
Don't worry Yoshino. All of these whales will keep the game going.

Top Bottom