• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genshin Impact |OT| 4.0 (Fontaine) - Je m'appelle "la baleine"

Saber

Gold Member
Increase my /adventure post 30 and wow...now monsters are taking awhile to beat.

Gonna try rush ascend itens as fast as I can lmao

Pejo

Well fug. I tried beating the Hidden Palace of Guizang with 1 level 60 and 3 level 50s, got stomped hard. This was my first death that wasn't a drown/fall/time out (in abyss). Not even Barbara could heal up the constant barrages of bullshit. Guess I'll have to build my team a little more to pass this one. The enemies defense was either stupid high or I'm missing something. My hits that usually do 1200-1800 were doing 200-450.

MagnesG

Banned
For anyone who wonders just how profitable the gacha model is.

There's no reason for you to wish they will ever be more lenient about giving F2P players more stuff, because that's dumb. $50 million the first week means half the game's reported budget is already paid for.

Lol they will, it's all about balance at the end.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
c8SzXSM.gif

I just throw this birb and laugh as wet enemies get shocked.

Lanrutcon

I find myself playing for an hour, seeing nothing was accomplished and going to do something else.

I want to level up, find gear, get skills, etc. You know...RPG stuff.

mcz117chief

I find myself playing for an hour, seeing nothing was accomplished and going to do something else.

I want to level up, find gear, get skills, etc. You know...RPG stuff.
I love the music, the graphics and just the absolute chill feeling when I play. No rush, no hassle, I can spend 10 minutes just walking on the edge of a cliff watching the sun rise and grass move in the wind. An incredibly relaxing experience.

Lanrutcon

I love the music, the graphics and just the absolute chill feeling when I play. No rush, no hassle, I can spend 10 minutes just walking on the edge of a cliff watching the sun rise and grass move in the wind. An incredibly relaxing experience.

Agreed! I feel like I would appreciate the game more if I had more free time. It's the kind of game I could lose like, 6 hours a day on.

Lanrutcon

Is the water bird boss that thing that kept making the floor disappear and summoning water animals?

Fuck those boars.

BlackTron

Gold Member
I was about to write it off due to the DRM, but eh...I might give the PS4 version a spin, it might not be a bad game to relax on something mindless from the couch. The graphics are pretty enough to load it up for free.

I won't spend a cent on it though.

Pejo

Is the water bird boss that thing that kept making the floor disappear and summoning water animals?

Fuck those boars.
If you can lure the boars to one of the platforms about to sink, they swim reallllly slowly back out of the water, gives you time to take out other animals without dealing with their bullshit. Funny considering they're made of water.

I got my rank 33 regular banner fate last night after leveling up my rank, threw it as a single pull at the banner, out popped a 5* claymore (the one that looks suspiciously like a blue master sword). Now I have to decide if I want to give up all the bulk that my 4* sword is giving Razor for the extra damage. Well, I guess first I have to level the damn thing up.

Did a few more of the hypostasis (cube) boss runs, and finally got a few of the green "sliver" elemental shard drops, so I guess they're still there at higher world level, just stupidly rare for some reason.

Being at level 9/10 for statue levels for both areas sucks. I think I'm going to finally have to turn to that map to find the remaining elemental things. I've explored back and forth across both maps on foot with no warping around unless it was to get to a higher location and am still missing a handful of them. The real pain in the ass is that since I didn't keep track of which ones I already got, I'm going to have to go to every location anyways. It's the last achievement I need for both of the area related achievement groups though, so I guess it'll unlock a few new namecards, but mostly i'll have max stamina which is the real benefit.

*edit*

Read a really interesting thread on Reddit today discussing the lore and the fact that
Paimon and the archons all have demon names.

It starts out as a meme but then gets into some interesting theories.

I actually like the idea about halfway down that suggests that
the MC might be Lucifer. The game actually blocks you from using this name during character creation. Also, there's some cool stuff in there about how the Archons sealed the previous gods 3700 years ago and apparently that lines up with a cataclysmic event.

I really need to track down the manga and the rest of the source material. I already liked the story to this game so far, but it might be even better than I gave it credit for.

Also, just a personal theory that seems pretty obvious, but I'm curious what you guys think (regarding Liyue storyline)

The funeral director guy has to be Morax/Rex Lapis/the Geo Archon, right?

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Why doesn't this game allow the usage of D-pad on the menus?

So damn annoying. Is there an option to active it on PS4 that I am missing?

Last edited:

Pejo

Yeah, that's annoying. The radial menu can be very finicky too.
And having to mash R2/L2 to increase/decrease stuff like xp books, and having to select every item you want to "destroy" (sell) individually with circle.

I feel like there are some easy QoL things for them to implement that hopefully we'll see sooner than later.

YukiOnna

If you can lure the boars to one of the platforms about to sink, they swim reallllly slowly back out of the water, gives you time to take out other animals without dealing with their bullshit. Funny considering they're made of water.

I got my rank 33 regular banner fate last night after leveling up my rank, threw it as a single pull at the banner, out popped a 5* claymore (the one that looks suspiciously like a blue master sword). Now I have to decide if I want to give up all the bulk that my 4* sword is giving Razor for the extra damage. Well, I guess first I have to level the damn thing up.

Did a few more of the hypostasis (cube) boss runs, and finally got a few of the green "sliver" elemental shard drops, so I guess they're still there at higher world level, just stupidly rare for some reason.

Being at level 9/10 for statue levels for both areas sucks. I think I'm going to finally have to turn to that map to find the remaining elemental things. I've explored back and forth across both maps on foot with no warping around unless it was to get to a higher location and am still missing a handful of them. The real pain in the ass is that since I didn't keep track of which ones I already got, I'm going to have to go to every location anyways. It's the last achievement I need for both of the area related achievement groups though, so I guess it'll unlock a few new namecards, but mostly i'll have max stamina which is the real benefit.

*edit*

Read a really interesting thread on Reddit today discussing the lore and the fact that
Paimon and the archons all have demon names.

It starts out as a meme but then gets into some interesting theories.

I actually like the idea about halfway down that suggests that
the MC might be Lucifer. The game actually blocks you from using this name during character creation. Also, there's some cool stuff in there about how the Archons sealed the previous gods 3700 years ago and apparently that lines up with a cataclysmic event.

I really need to track down the manga and the rest of the source material. I already liked the story to this game so far, but it might be even better than I gave it credit for.

Also, just a personal theory that seems pretty obvious, but I'm curious what you guys think (regarding Liyue storyline)

The funeral director guy has to be Morax/Rex Lapis/the Geo Archon, right?

I'm still early on, but there's also the pattern of the naming being from Goetia & Solomon legends.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

Paimon was originally a cherub so similarities in appearance might be due to that. Like I said before it can't be just a coincidence.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ogbert

ya it is annoying. im going to see what that "leave feedback" button does today after work.

We’re going to see a glut of these games now. Three years after BoTW, it’s mechanics will be baked into every open world game. Ubisoft’s Fenyx Rising is even more shameless.

LOLCats

Banned
We’re going to see a glut of these games now. Three years after BoTW, it’s mechanics will be baked into every open world game. Ubisoft’s Fenyx Rising is even more shameless.
im fucked then, waifu collecting games are rad.

Saber

Gold Member
Ok GAF - Challenge time. For those of you that are world level 3 or above, go to this island marked with the skull with your best team and report the outcome (no running away like a coward).

7NtbpUJ.png

I feel like I took more missiles than the game could handle, fucking lol

I beat them. But fucking god, this is a fucking hard fucking shit. I just lost 3 fucking characters.

Why doesn't this game allow the usage of D-pad on the menus?

So damn annoying. Is there an option to active it on PS4 that I am missing?

I sent a big fucking list of feedback during the beta, including this one.

Guess they use feedback as toilet paper.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
BoTW invented open world games yes lol. (It has the same climbing though)

Ogbert

BoTW invented open world games yes lol. (It has the same climbing though)

Er, yeah. Ok.

This is an obvious copy. The paragliding. The climbing. The art style. The map even has the underlying blue that gets revealed in chunks. It wears its influence clearly and obviously. Nothing wrong with that.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Er, yeah. Ok.

This is an obvious copy. The paragliding. The climbing. The art style. The map even has the underlying blue that gets revealed in chunks. It wears its influence clearly and obviously. Nothing wrong with that.
That art style isn't unique to BOTW it is somewhat similar yes. The gliding is also similar but I'd say BOTW's is smoother/better. Might as well say BOTW is literally cartoon Skyrim+AssCreed but with less lore.

Wait...

Nankatsu

Spent a little more time with the game and unlocked Amber. I'm at the very begining, just arrived at the city, but I've lost some time exploring.

It amazes me that this game can be F2P and stand way above some other games of the genre that ask you full price head on.

Sure, it's not the most original one... The similarities with Breath of the Wild and Nier are striking, but for a F2P is amazingly executed and there are differences, the multi character design in terms of combinations works well.

I gotta say, I think I see myself playing this for quite a while, even more after learning there's crossplay, which took me by surprised.

Haven't come across the gacha mechanics yet, but considering I play one of the most greedy gacha games on mobile, this one seems pretty soft on it so far. So yeah, quite surprised by it.

And the game looks fucking gorgeous. And kudos to English VA, really like it.

PS: Paimon is the new Morgana, though.

Last edited:

Pejo

I still can't find the last 2 anemo lol.
Same, I have 5 to go and I've been doing my best to avoid that interactive map with all locations, but I think starting this weekend I'm just going to do it. I've searched everywhere I can think of and can't find any more of those damn things.

Finally got my various teams sorted out, which feels good. Sucks that I still have to swap around for stupid shit like collecting dandelion seeds, but at least I have my team synergy down. The only character I am using in multiple teams is Fischl just because her bird is that helpful in taking down shields/high def enemies. Also got 2/4 of my "main" team maxed out as far as level/ascension/weapon level/talent level, and again I am left with no resources or Mora.

Which bow are you guys using on your Fischl btw?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Inside cave? Not sure if I've ever get that. I know one of them is on the far lone northeast island.
The mission where you protect a gem inside a cave has one in the treasure chamber. Er you collect 3 pieces to unlock a "gate" on cave that is outside a waterfall I believe.

Ogbert

That art style isn't unique to BOTW it is somewhat similar yes. The gliding is also similar but I'd say BOTW's is smoother/better. Might as well say BOTW is literally cartoon Skyrim+AssCreed but with less lore.

Everything about the game is designed to remind you of BoTW. And why not? It was a wonderful game. The camps are designed in exactly the same way. The chests open upon beating all the guards. The grass moves in the same way. The music (which is fantastic), also employs the sparse piano pieces that BoTW used. And then yes, there's the climbing, the paragliding. All the mobs looks similar - the trolls and blobs are basically reskins.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with any of this. They've reskinned BoTW, put a fun elemental combat system on top of it, and shower you in meaningless loot to keep you grinding. They will make a lot and lot and lot of money out of this game.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I have seen exactly nothing even remotely similar in this game to NieR. What is so STRIKINGLY similar? Breath of the Wild I can see clearly but not NieR at all.
The way you carry the sword on your back floating means it is totally Nier.
The music (which is fantastic), also employs the sparse piano pieces that BoTW used.
To be fair slow piano pieces have been a thing in most Asian games for as long as I remember. Or JRPGs anyway.

mcz117chief

The way you carry the sword on your back floating means it is totally Nier.
Oh yeah, Automata, I can see that. I know you are being /s but really, Automata wasn't the first game with floating weapons on back :/

To be fair slow piano pieces have been a thing in most Asian games for as long as I remember. Or JRPGs anyway.

There are also only so many keys on a piano that are useful for slow songs with this kind of atmosphere. You hear a few of them and then they all start to sound the same. Allow me to illustrate, two completely different games, two very similar pieces:

Hearts of Iron 3

If my Heart Had Wings

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Oh yeah, Automata, I can see that. I know you are being /s but really, Automata wasn't the first game with floating weapons on back :/
The dragon section where you are flying and shoot things? Copies Automata as well, there were never games before it that did the same thing.

I've actually seen someone say this on another site unironically.

Top Bottom