• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genshin Impact |OT| 4.0 (Fontaine) - Je m'appelle "la baleine"

Larry Reaction GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

Pejo

Tried pull Xiao. Failed.

Gonna save for Zhongli.

Jeeze, there are actually people making sense in the comments to this post. Did the bots/shills go to bed before it was made or something?

Still got a good old "in defense of censorship" comment -
That part I don't mind tbh, less lazy cash grab booba skins, more room for actual interesting and well designed skins.
Like one thing has anything to do with the other. Absolute smooth-brained thinking. Based on MHY's history with the 4 skins we have, none of them are either "booba" or "actual interesting or well designed".

Funny enough, if they're censoring bare shoulder, that means Lumine's on the chopping block. If they're defeminizing men, Aether's midriff is toast and his ponytail gone. MHY is going to have to remake every single cutscene in the game with those two in it, which is like 99%.

In a way, I almost sympathize with MHY in this one. You can tell this isn't their idea and was never their intention. I'm really curious to see how they're going to handle future character design and regional differences. It's almost certainly going to just go the way of "create only characters within CCP boundaries", but they could surprise everyone and do 2 versions as other CN gachas have done. I don't think they have the balls to go through with it though.

I wish I could read Chinese, just to see what the players there are saying about all of this. They're probably in a weird spot that they know it's the CCP causing all the bullshit but can't say anything without risking their social credit scores.

Ehhh... I don't think I've ever seen a more appropriate use of that gif. I mean I get what they're going for, but it's just so visually unimpressive. Couldn't they have given it a little pizazz or weight to the attacks?

Last edited:

Pejo

So I found a post from a guy (supposedly) summarizing the comments of the CN playerbase on NGA, a CN forum.

The main response from the Chinese players to the outfits are the following:

1. Understandably, they are upset that the outfits are being changed. Alot of them expressed sullen moods despite a noticably great update from 2.4 with the new area and archon quest.
  2. There are many posts which Chinese players acknowledge that MHY didnt do this out of their own will, but there is really nothing they can do knowing who is behind it. There are some posts asking for refunds from MHY but a noticable number of replies did say that MHY isnt at fault.
  3. During the Honkai incident, hostility was directed at the Global versions. But this time, hostility is actually directed towards an internal group. There is a group of minority female players in Douban (a CN social networking service) that has been reporting female character designs to the authorities and a post has been circulating NGA where the members are celebrating the changes, and are going for Shenhe and Ganyu next. Alot of posts in NGA are directing their hostility to this group, and some are thinking of counter measures. Note that i do not know if this groups did indeed succeed and MHY changes are because of their reports. But the general consensus of chinese players seem to blame them.
  4. There was a post where the op says that all versions should be changed for "equality". But the majority of upvoted replies to that was telling that poster to fuck off, and there is no reason everyone should suffer for this.
  5. (This point is updated) I want to add that alot of CN players expressed that they are happy with GI's popularity overseas and the fact that it serves as a form of cultural export/exchange which is rare for China. So they are understandably disappointed when their own censorship might affect others overseas. To quote one of the posters "It seems the greatest enemy to genshin's success is not competitors, but CN themselves".
I dunno how much of this can be believed, but it's actually kinda hilarious that there's a group of joyless women that are jealous of fictional characters that could be behind this.

*edit*

YukiOnna YukiOnna is going to travel to CN himself and face off with these women, if this part can be believed:
going for Shenhe and Ganyu next

Last edited:

Pejo

Pretty sure all the cutscenes are in-game, so there's nothing to remake.
I'm not talking the ones where they just walk up and turn their head and make le funny meme face at Paimon's tomfoolery, I meant the actual good action cutscenes like the weekly boss cutscenes, the Raiden Shogun stuff with Kaz/Thoma, The Dvalin stuff, Jade Chamber etc.

YukiOnna

So I found a post from a guy (supposedly) summarizing the comments of the CN playerbase on NGA, a CN forum.

I dunno how much of this can be believed, but it's actually kinda hilarious that there's a group of joyless women that are jealous of fictional characters that could be behind this.

*edit*

YukiOnna YukiOnna is going to travel to CN himself and face off with these women, if this part can be believed:
Hey at least there's some common sense going around. I still don't understand the anomaly that was Honkai Global Version though and why they got so angry.

How the hell would they even censor Ganyu or Shenhe? Give them a Nun's habit?

Pejo

Hey at least there's some common sense going around. I still don't understand the anomaly that was Honkai Global Version though and why they got so angry.

How the hell would they even censor Ganyu or Shenhe? Give them a Nun's habit?
I would have previously said the same thing about Jean, but well...

I meant the actual good action cutscenes like the weekly boss cutscenes, the Raiden Shogun stuff with Kaz/Thoma, The Dvalin stuff, Jade Chamber etc
Yeah those are all in-game.
Even if they weren't it wouldn't matter, just a model swap and hitting "render" again.

Pejo

Yeah those are all in-game.
Even if they weren't it wouldn't matter, just a model swap and hitting "render" again.
They're clearly pre-rendered, you can see the changes in visual fidelity from video compression when they occur on a 4k tv. But yea, I suppose you're right about just re-rendering them, there's still quite a few of them at this point in the game.

Then it's probably a mix of both, since a lot of those cutscenes run pretty janky on slower phones/low spec pcs, that's the opposite of what should happen if it's just video.

Either that or they are doing some terrible encoding on them.

Pejo

They have to be pre-rendered. They use the stupid dull blade.
Good point, if they were in-engine they could just use whatever we had equipped at the moment.

Boy it sucks that Shenhe is stuck behind that new Enka boss for ascensions. I had saved up a bunch of books only to realize I was hard gated until I explore Enka, which likely won't be until the weekend.

Played around with her a bit, her kit feels awful to use on-field. Like a much worse Rosaria. Part of it is the long cooldown on her skill, part of it is that her combo attacks feel bad to use. Looks like she really is doomed to off-field cryo support.

Her Burst's AoE is a little too small to consistently take advantage of with Ganyu too, the only character I would currently pair her with. Kinda disappointed if I'm being honest. Definitely not going to waste rolls on her weapon, she's very limited in team comps right now. Unless you're running Ayaka or for some ungodly reason Chongus, I don't see much room for her at the moment. Maybe as a support to main dps Rosaria? Boy I didn't see that one coming.

Saber

Gold Member
One thing I notice during the free test is...she has a slow attack speed. Other than that, I really saw nothing special with her which is weird. I was thinking she could be more like Kaede as a skills and burst spammer.

Pejo

One thing I notice during the free test is...she has a slow attack speed. Other than that, I really saw nothing special with her which is weird. I was thinking she could be more like Kaede as a skills and burst spammer.
Yea that's one of my gripes, it doesn't even consistently stunlock the smaller enemies so they can counter attack you in the middle of a combo. Feels really strange.

Yae's idle animations don't disappoint.

*edit*

*edit2*

Summary of new content in 2.5

jzljwmg40w981.jpg

Last edited:

BlackM1st

Banned
Yea that's one of my gripes, it doesn't even consistently stunlock the smaller enemies so they can counter attack you in the middle of a combo. Feels really strange.

Yae's idle animations don't disappoint.

*edit*

*edit2*

Summary of new content in 2.5

jzljwmg40w981.jpg

Lmao dat bird animation... Gonna pay a visit to Timmy...

Pejo

Lmao dat bird animation... Gonna pay a visit to Timmy...
Animal activists gonna flip. I remember there was an outcry when a character from Honkai squished a goldfish during her "stage complete" animation.

New enemy type in 2.5

3 words - standing.fish.blowjob.

98h74cucbv981.jpg

51B0u26HPOL.jpg

Last edited:
I'm feeling pretty down about the game. Pretty sure I'll skip Shenhe because she only seems to work in mono cryo teams. I dislike the current meta, but shifting to mono and quickswap teams that rely on multiple expensive 5 stars isn't the solution. Reaction-based teams are much easier to build and more flexible. I guess they want to offer alternate play styles for whales. F2P and low-spenders are left behind.

There's not much of note coming out in the future. Yae looks meh, probably another mono element character to be paired with Raiden and Sara or something. Ayato will be another cringy husbando. Even if they release a cool design, they'll probably be crippled by constellations and/or stuck in niche teams. I have hundreds of fates burning a hole in my pocket and nothing to pull for. Then there's the blatant censorship which will probably affect future characters. Dendro is nowhere to be seen, will probably take 4 to 6 months to happen.

I guess I should just be happy I'll finally get the goat soon, and I'll do some copium building of Yun Jin. Hopefully the new quests and area are good. I haven't touched those yet and to be fair they're the most significant additions to the game. Still, the whole situation is a bummer.

Pejo

MiHoYo definitely knows how to be "cool", unfortunately most of heroes in GI severely lack the edge...
For now. I could see them ramp it up over time. Honkai started off with a generally low key cyber aesthetic at first, and now we've got characters that blast the entire stage with lightning and fire and lasers.

Clearer picture of new weekly boss.

sc4q7kv2tv981.png

I'm feeling pretty down about the game. Pretty sure I'll skip Shenhe because she only seems to work in mono cryo teams. I dislike the current meta, but shifting to mono and quickswap teams that rely on multiple expensive 5 stars isn't the solution. Reaction-based teams are much easier to build and more flexible. I guess they want to offer alternate play styles for whales. F2P and low-spenders are left behind.

There's not much of note coming out in the future. Yae looks meh, probably another mono element character to be paired with Raiden and Sara or something. Ayato will be another cringy husbando. Even if they release a cool design, they'll probably be crippled by constellations and/or stuck in niche teams. I have hundreds of fates burning a hole in my pocket and nothing to pull for. Then there's the blatant censorship which will probably affect future characters. Dendro is nowhere to be seen, will probably take 4 to 6 months to happen.

I guess I should just be happy I'll finally get the goat soon, and I'll do some copium building of Yun Jin. Hopefully the new quests and area are good. I haven't touched those yet and to be fair they're the most significant additions to the game. Still, the whole situation is a bummer.
I feel you. I was in this headspace last night. But it's been comforting to see more GL players coming to their senses about things as more information becomes available. Regardless, I'm still going to play and enjoy the game, Enka just released and new areas are my favorite part of the game, but yea I'm on a spending hold until we get more info directly from the horse's mouth on the future of the game.

Regarding Shenhe, I can honestly say that with the current cast of characters, unless you plan on running Ayaka, there's no compelling reason to pull for her for gameplay reasons. Maybe she's good with Ayaka, seems like it on paper, but just not a good universal support and honestly not even that good of a support in general outside of big dick Ayaka freeze team damage.

Yae, well, I'll wait for numbers and impressions, but she didn't have much of a 'wow' factor out of the box. It's like Fischl with extra steps.

Last edited:

Pejo

Looks like Ying'er is about to get some competition for "best NPC"

cznqegqxvu981.png

Also, looks like we get some minigame furniture for our teapots in 2.5.

2kukyxu5yu981.png

The biggest fear I have right now is that complaints from Chinese players could force the company to remove the original skins in the global version as well. Didn't they remove bunny girl costumes from Honkai for the same reason?
Honkai never had bunny costumes, they had bikinis that were made unattainable after some entitled shithead complained; if you had the costumes you still do.
There was a video, and some art, with the valkyries in bunny outfit for the global anniversary, that video was removed because of cn "fans" complaining they didn't get that video, just pinnacle sadness.

Last edited:

Pejo

Honkai never had bunny costumes, they had bikinis that were made unattainable after some entitled shithead complained; if you had the costumes you still do.
There was a video, and some art, with the valkyries in bunny outfit for the global anniversary, that video was removed because of cn "fans" complaining they didn't get that video, just pinnacle sadness.
I will never forget what they took from me.

Honkai-Bunny-Girl-video-official-Artwork-Criin-1536x864.jpg

Censorship is cringe. I don't care what it is, whether it be gore, nudity, dialogue, subject matter, etc. China should be shamed for making MiHoYo do this. Gotta feel bad for the employees and CN players. RIP character design and skins. I pretty much only play the game for the characters. The gameplay has gotten sorta repetitive for me. A new character that looks hot and has a strong/fun kit is the only character I will pull on, so here is to hoping.

I spent all my rolls on Raiden C1 and it seems I made the right choice lol

BlackM1st

Banned
New code for 60 primogems: 9BPCJCQGHAWZ
Yep, it worked, thanks.

Just come home after a long day of hard work, just seen all this stuffs it's insane lol

Well...At least Yae leaks are here too.

Just did all the Trials for the new banners. That was rough.

Bird lady is a totally throwaway character, back of her in game model and fighting style doesn't let you enjoy her model like at all. Gameplay is eh, meh... I didn't felt anything. She's such an easy skip for me... Basically an Itto level lmao

Xiao was a 1 trick pony as always. Fast, but absolutely nauseating. No thank you.

All 3 Geo heroes were thrown under the bus.

All felt sluggish and absolutely underpowered.

Poor Noelle were hitting for 4k during her Ultimate. The F? Haven't seen such numbers since... I dunno, I forgot lmao.

Opera girl is cute, but just kinda there. Basically a walking, breathing stat stick who couldn't buff Noelle like at all lmao

Ninng...Felt weak too. I doubt that if her skin was paid, many people would have bought it based on her trial performance. Bah, what a waste.

Surprisingly popsicle boy had the best trial which made him look way stronger than he really is. Ok? I dunno why, but at least it's ended in seconds.

Overall: trash Trials for pretty mediocre banners. Feels like a warm-up for REAL banners which will come later haha

Also, I ain't buying Keq a skin. If everything will be alright maybe I'll buy it later at full price... Suddenly I'm not in a rush to spend any money on GI lmao

Pejo

Yep, it worked, thanks.

Well...At least Yae leaks are here too.

Just did all the Trials for the new banners. That was rough.

Bird lady is a totally throwaway character, back of her in game model and fighting style doesn't let you enjoy her model like at all. Gameplay is eh, meh... I didn't felt anything. She's such an easy skip for me... Basically an Itto level lmao

Xiao was a 1 trick pony as always. Fast, but absolutely nauseating. No thank you.

All 3 Geo heroes were thrown under the bus.

All felt sluggish and absolutely underpowered.

Poor Noelle were hitting for 4k during her Ultimate. The F? Haven't seen such numbers since... I dunno, I forgot lmao.

Opera girl is cute, but just kinda there. Basically a walking, breathing stat stick who couldn't buff Noelle like at all lmao

Ninng...Felt weak too. I doubt that if her skin was paid, many people would have bought it based on her trial performance. Bah, what a waste.

Surprisingly popsicle boy had the best trial which made him look way stronger than he really is. Ok? I dunno why, but at least it's ended in seconds.

Overall: trash Trials for pretty mediocre banners. Feels like a warm-up for REAL banners which will come later haha

Also, I ain't buying Keq a skin. If everything will be alright maybe I'll buy it later at full price... Suddenly I'm not in a rush to spend any money on GI lmao
Mostly agree, but the Chongus trial was more like showing how great Xiangling's reverse melt is.

That Yun Jin/Noelle trial was a travesty. It's like they purposely want people to avoid using those characters. I found it kinda funny that this was the first trial that didn't give a support user the "favonius" weapon, so her ER felt absolutely awful and her auto attacks were hitting for like 400-700. That's a GEO Moment™ if I ever saw one.

Last edited:

Pejo

Is this true
unknown.png
Sounds like somebody stirring up shit if I'm being honest. But the last few days have been a wild ride so who's to say. There was a guy that made a mockup of Ayaka/Yoimiya/Kokomi/Shogun and was passing around as official last night just to get people angry. Xiao with no tattoos would be...something. He'd look like a waiter.

Man, those Guyver enemies ended up being hella lame. I was hoping for fast frantic enemies, but it's the total opposite:

Last edited:
Yun Jin and Shenhe's value can't really be demonstrated in a trial like that. For a lot of characters you can get a feel for their gameplay in those trials, but these two just boost your existing characters. Their damage buff is almost invisible, so it's best seen in your own teams with your own weapons and artifacts.

YukiOnna YukiOnna I've seen some of those same "suggestions" get thrown around since yesterday. It's probably just speculation at this point. It's also a safe prediction to do, because all of that stuff and more will probably happen in the coming months.

BlackM1st

Banned
Is this true
unknown.png
I doubt it. But I also kinda want it to be true lmao

I would like to see the meltdowns.

My C3 Baal would go straight to trash 🗑, but who said that I should wait for 10 years to finally drop the GI?

At least it will go with a bang. Definitely more entertaining than anything MiHo can /will be allowed to write for its ending haha

Pejo

I doubt it. But I also kinda want it to be true lmao

I would like to see the meltdowns.

My C3 Baal would go straight to trash 🗑, but who said that I should wait for 10 years to finally drop the GI?

At least it will go with a bang. Definitely more entertaining than anything MiHo can /will be allowed to write for its ending haha
Final boss duo in Celestia:

i09ex3jszlu61.jpg

policy-shutterstock_359409938.jpg

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Is this true
unknown.png

Nah. I'm with the others, its too early for that. Obviously create to build up more rage out of trolling(provoking).
And this is me saying that could end up being like that in the future, but not for now. This is something that could completelly destroy GI way too fast.

Last edited:
Just completed the new Liyue quest. Both Shenhe and Yun Jin are pretty cool characters. I like them. Ganyu got robbed though. She didn't interact with Shenhe at all (aren't they well acquainted?) and she wasn't allowed to act when the tsunami was about to hit (perhaps because she half-adeptus). I found Keqing on the island afterwards but Ganyu wasn't even there. Otherwise a decent quest.

Pejo

Had a shit day but Yae and Shenhe are still hot so it's ok.
If you haven't done the new archon interlude, I recommend it. Best quality voiced quest we've gotten since the first chapter of Inazuma, IMO, and lots of Shenhe waifu vibes. We also get enough ascension mats from it to get her to level 50 at least, since she's gated by boss drops from Enka.

Just completed the new Liyue quest. Both Shenhe and Yun Jin are pretty cool characters. I like them. Ganyu got robbed though. She didn't interact with Shenhe at all (aren't they well acquainted?) and she wasn't allowed to act when the tsunami was about to hit (perhaps because she half-adeptus). I found Keqing on the island afterwards but Ganyu wasn't even there. Otherwise a decent quest.
Yea it was weird, we saw her there shooting her Amos bow but she never stuck around to say hi even. Otherwise, I liked all of the characters in the quest, and we finally got some cool cutscenes and a new surprising boss. Shame it was just one and done.

The quest story is getting better than before. I wonder if they really hired some new writers.
I can't tell if it's just writers being inconsistent or if some of the quests were just really rushed compared to others having time to really plan it out. I think everybody agrees that Inazuma Archon Chapter 3 (and 2 to an extent) were really rushed and awful. This one was really good though.

Anyways, spent some time doing that stuff and the few new world quests that got unlocked, thought I'd just dip my toes in Enka. Made it through the cave spot and into the part that opens up, and decided to call it a night. I want to save the majority of that for this weekend. Damn that first big vista though, phenomenal. Also absolutely love what I've heard from the music in Enka. It's a shame there's so much trash surrounding the game. When a new area opens up, I'm like a goddamn kid in a candy story running around, soaking in the lore, the atmosphere, the puzzles, etc. I get down on this game quite a bit, but really since Liyue, their new areas have mostly been 8 out of 10 or better. Really excited to see more of Enka.

jsxlzcj9tx981.png

7m39z4qctx981.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom