• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Getting both consoles? What's your plan?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
This coming generation is going to be the first time I plan on buying both consoles at launch. From the looks of it, in addition to buy 2 to 4 games at launch, I'm probably looking at $1000+ to spend. I'm not rich, I consider myself lower middle class. So I wanted to share what my plan is to make this happen this holiday. I encourage to share yours in the comments.

So starting in Dec 2019, I set up an ACH for my bank to put $50 per pay period into a separate account. I get paid on the 15th and the last day of every month. That $100 a month for 11-12 months. To soften the blow, I'm also going to trade-in or sell my Xbox One X and PS4 roughly a month before release depending on when Gamestop drops its inevitable trade in deal. Hopefully this allows me to have some wiggle room for accesories and maybe a game or two more.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
switch pro + a new gaming pc.

and prolly the ps5 pro And xbox series when it has some more games

Reactions: Isa

johntown

Banned
I have a PC so no Xbox. I plan to get a PS5 either for exlcusives but if all exclusives are coming to PC then only thing that would pull me in the rumored backward compatibility with all previous PS systems. If that is done right with up-scaling that would be enough reason for me to pick one up.

Nickolaidas

This coming generation is going to be the first time I plan on buying both consoles at launch. From the looks of it, in addition to buy 2 to 4 games at launch, I'm probably looking at $1000+ to spend. I'm not rich, I consider myself lower middle class. So I wanted to share what my plan is to make this happen this holiday. I encourage to share yours in the comments.

So starting in Dec 2019, I set up an ACH for my bank to put $50 per pay period into a separate account. I get paid on the 15th and the last day of every month. That $100 a month for 11-12 months. To soften the blow, I'm also going to trade-in or sell my Xbox One X and PS4 roughly a month before release depending on when Gamestop drops its inevitable trade in deal. Hopefully this allows me to have some wiggle room for accesories and maybe a game or two more.

I need to gather 3000 Euro this year. 2000 to move, and 1000 for the PS5 and the Series X. Next year I plan on buying a Switch (Pro, hopefully), as well as a 1500 Euro Gaming PC.

And I'm set, more or less.

TBiddy

XSX asap. Don't know the launch date here in northern Europe, but we'll see. PS5 somewhere down the road, so I can play some of the games I missed on the PS4 (and the new games, of course).

Verdanth

As it stands, neither.

PS4 still has many games I want to play, and buying a PS5 at launch for this...hmm, I still need to see how that backwards compatibility will work.

Besides there isn't a single launch title that is appealing at all at the moment.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I need to gather 3000 Euro this year. 2000 to move, and 1000 for the PS5 and the Series X. Next year I plan on buying a Switch (Pro, hopefully), as well as a 1500 Euro Gaming PC.

And I'm set, more or less.
Holy shit. So $4500 euros saved up. I dont know when the new switch comes out but you got the ducats to get all that within a short span of time?

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
PS5 day one and a 7 game interest wait for XSX (it could be 7 announced games that aren't released yet)

Halo Infinite and Hellblade 2 could be 2 out of the 7 if they turn out good

Ulysses 31

I'll wait for games to come out. Unless the consoles have BC which make some improvements like better fps or higher res I'd buy the consoles just for that..

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Where are you aiming for your pc? 2080 ti? 30 series? Going Navi instead?
3080 ti or whatever its called. And prolly intel as i want high single core clock speeds. For better emulation.

I basically want to drive 3440x1440 @120fps and 4k @60

Gsync will deal with hickups

Vasto

No judgements here, just a question to further the conversation. What made you choose the X XSX first? Likewise for any who reads this post and ur going PS5 first, what moves you in that direction?

I am a Xbox gamer and with the Series X all I have to do is buy the system and come home to Game Pass.

Quezacolt

Only getting a PS5. Outside of Forza Horizon and Ori, there hasnt been anything this change that made me interested on getting an Xbone.

DESTROYA

Waiting closer to launch to make final decision but if it’s like last gen
PS5
PC
Switch and if they make a switch Pro will definitely buy that

Barakov

Right now it's a new graphics card and switch pro. I'll probably have a PS5 this year, probably. The XSX has a lot of convincing to do especially after after all the problems I had with the Xbox One X.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
PS5 and Switch (or Switch2). As fan of Japanese games these two system will give everything I need.

MDSLKTR

Hdmi 2.1 brand new tv first (and the audio receiver that comes with that). I have a whole year of deciding between a PlayStation or cpu/gpu upgrade.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Last year I spent about $200 a month on gaming. This year my plan is to tone that way WAY down in anticipation of the new consoles coming out. I figure that barring some major catastrophes I'll be buying them both.

My gaming spend for January (so far) has been $43. That's Humble Choice + 2x subscriptions to Final Fantasy XIV (one for me, one for my son) + GAF Gold. Outside of those expenses I only plan on picking up a few games (Final Fantasy VII, Trials of Mana, Bravely Default II, Xenoblade Definitive) along with 1-2 launch titles for each system if there is something compelling. My PS+ is expired (good riddance) and my Xbox Live Ultimate is paid up for a few years yet. Overall I figure my gaming costs will be about the same as last year except that that figure will include two new consoles.

Metnut

PS5 only (already have a Switch). I also have a laptop with a 1070.

I doubt there will be any games on the new XBox that I’ll really want. I really like Japanese games and third person narrative driven games.

To the extent there’s a cool RPG or strategy game for the PC, my laptop should be able to run that acceptably for a few more years.

makaveli60

It depends after both consoles' reveals, but I think I will do the same as this gen. PS5 at launch then a couple of years later an XSX for its exclusives. Although if the XSX will have better hardware and Sony doesn't come up with good exclusives for the launch window I might change the approach.

Bryank75

Banned
PS5 at launch if Jim Ryan doesn't F it up to badly, a 48 inch CX with that. 100 euro deposit already on PS5...

PC 2021 or 2022, whenever some awesome GPU's come along at a good price. That should let me play almost anything. I have a new Switch and will upgrade to pro when it comes.

PocoJoe

Banned
PS5 day one, xbox doesnt interest me.

I have already saved around 8000€ for a used Honda Civic but 2015 models still cost 15000-20000€ so maybe I just get PS5 and Sony oled tv + A7R3(camera), that would add up to 4000-4500€ and maybe a shittier older car lols

Feels nice to be able to buy console without having to save for months and almost starving, for the first time.

And I dont even have a job, still a student. Just been buying&selling games and other stuff for small profit for 4 years like a mad man.

Inglebard

Neo Member
My plan is to wait a year or two for a PS5 price cut or updated more powerful model. The rest of the plan is to use my still new PC, PS4 Pro, Switch and various other gaming devices until then! I feel no pressure at all to rush into the next generation. I held off on the PS4 until I could get a Pro for $350 with some extras and expect I'll be able to do something similar this time around.

Not to be discouraging to anyone who wants the new systems right away, that's fine too, I just don't really have the time or money for that anymore.

Hotspurr

Banned
I would say depends on what they have at launch.
The Xbox X probably has another 2 good years left in it. Multiplatform games will likely still support a 1070 level GPU 2 years out. Microsoft confirmed they will support the old gen for 2 years.
As for PS5, if it's going to be more walking simulators and emotionally captivating stories, I'll pass untill something like BB comes out.

I don't see why you'd want to get both consoles at launch. Spread your dopamine hits over a longer period of time. Inevitably there will be good discounts to be had too so you won't end up blowing a lot of cash.

I also think console is a better investment than a PC GPU if you are playing on a big screen.

I have a solid system now. I might get the 5950 xt when it releases. We'll see.
As for consoles, I will get a ps5 somewhere down the line, probably 2 years after it's launch.
But if Sony exclusive games do come to pc, then I won't be buying it. But I highly doubt is true for all sony exclusives.

Isa

I plan on getting both for now, though with further information around full reveals and launch line-ups I might change my mind. Fortunately for me money isn't an issue, and since this year so far has been pretty dull release wise so far (save for Tokyo Mirage Sessions), I'll have even more saved up for later this year. I've actually got a decent amount saved up for both, but I like to snag pre-order bundles with extra games and controllers if possible, but regardless I'd say they're already paid off. Lately I've just been splurging on anime and hentai figures, its a fun pastime.

Oh and if a Switch Pro releases I'll definitely get that day 1. I love mine I just wish the image was a little cleaner/clearer. Frankly right now I'm more excited for what Nintendo might have planned for the year.

iHaunter

Got a 2080TI and a 2 TB NVMe so I'm set for PC. Probably PS5, switch games aren't worth it at the moment. Maybe later in the year, we'll see. Switch staying the same.

Right now the plan is to get the XSX at launch hate the windows store and the pc/steam community does a terrible job of supporting the games MS has ported over like K.I 2013 and Halo reach rech is already having problems finding games great. I guess the pc community likes supporting broken MP games like pubg because its endorsed by some E celb.
The main draws right now is: Full BC with xbox one games and BC for original xbox and 360 games so I can go back and play all the xbox games I missed, Forza motorsport 8 and halo infinite are going to be a launch titles those two games will keep the attention for awhile.
the only way im buying a Ps5 at launch is if GT7 is actually a proper GT game like GT5XL or GT4 if its anything other than that ill play it later. Not really interested in the demon soul remake already played that game to death on the ps3 years ago. I doubt that the PS5 is going to launch with some amazing Japanese games out the gate but if it does i may be swayed.
If the switch pro is real ill buy it only if its a total 1080 from what the OG switch is I think the OG switch and the switch lite are fine if the pro switch is just like the 3ds XL i have no problem passing on it.

SleepDoctor

Banned
As of right now the Ps5 is day one. Xbox will be a wait and see situation with the exclusive games ordeal. Although i will preorder both just to lock them down in case something changes my mind along the way.

AGRacing

I like the cut of your jib. Great plan!

I plan on getting one immediately. Very likely PlayStation 5. If Xbox has got an incredible launch title I may do that too.

The only planning I really need to do is ensuring my wife knows that this is happening and there’s nothing she can do to stop it. I did the majority of that legwork over the last 10 years and I look forward to these magical holidays when it pays off ;)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The only planning I really need to do is ensuring my wife knows that this is happening and there’s nothing she can do to stop it. I did the majority of that legwork over the last 10 years and I look forward to these magical holidays when it pays off ;)
This is me too.

I let my wife know last year - more than a year in advance "There are new game consoles releasing in 2020 and I plan on buying them." I let her know this means about $1,200 worth of kit but explained that, like the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro I have, these will get a lot of use over the next several years.

Bodom78

Only getting the XSX comming generation as I have a massive backlog + Gamepass.

Not sure about getting it day one... maybe the first revision.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
No judgements here, just a question to further the conversation. What made you choose the X XSX first? Likewise for any who reads this post and ur going PS5 first, what moves you in that direction?
PS5 for
Uncharted
Spider-man 2
Ratchet and Clank
Horizon 2
GoW5
Lost Soul Aside
Granblue Fantasy Relink
Babylon's Fall
Godfall
Stray's Cross
Demon Souls remake
GT7 (only if there's offline saves)
Yes a few are PS4

XSX for
Hellblade 2
Forza Horizon 5
Gears 6
+ 4 more at least

Last edited:

isual

i can afford both, but i'll wait for the xbox one x to get more games. for the ps5, i'm still reserved on what games they will have on release date.
i do like waiting in line for a console, but just one. last time i waited the night of for the ps4 release, but depending on ps5's games will i do the same.

Top Bottom