• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[GfK data] In the UK, Xbox Series S and X has now overtaken sales of the original Xbox. PS5 is now closing in on 3DS/2DS sales.

Additional context via Luminoth:

From this retro sales thread the Original Xbox was at 2.14 million in the UK at the end of 2005, on a 2006 retro thread Xbox sales were 70k so 2.21 million Lifetime.

lFGCBLG.jpg

By the end of 2019 Statista had Lifetime 3DS Sales in the UK at just over 3.9 million.

2011: 947k
2012: 657k
2013: 706k
2014: 516k
2015: 422k
2016: 376k
2017: 251k
2018: 122k
2019: 192k

total: 3938k

The 3DS was discontinued worldwide in September 2020 so 2020 sales would have been really low and not added much to the total.

From the Information we know that XBS is probably around 2.3 million and the PS5 is probably in the 3.6 to 3.8 million range considering it is "closing in" which could mean 100k behind or maybe 300k behind.

Last edited:

NickFire

It was about 3 years and 8 months between OG Xbox and 360 launch dates in Europe I think. So the Series line sold the same amount in 7 less months if I understand the claim correctly.

From this retro sales thread the Original Xbox was at 2.14 million in the UK at the end of 2005, on a 2006 retro sales thread Xbox sales were 70k so 2.21 million Lifetime.

lFGCBLG.jpg

Last edited:

Tsaki

From this retro sales thread the Original Xbox was at 2.14 million in the UK at the end of 2005, So Xbox probably 2.3 million LTD.

lFGCBLG.jpg
Thanks for this. We also know that Series reached 2 million sales this past May
300,000 from May to December, including E3, Starfield, Forza and Black Friday is pretty bad, even more so being their #2 biggest market.

By the end of 2019 Statista had Lifetime 3DS Sales in the UK at just over 3.9 million.

The 3DS was discontinued worldwide in September 2020 so 2020 sales would have been really low and not added much to the total.

From the Information we know that XBS is probably around 2.3 million and the PS5 is probably in the 3.6 to 3.8 million range considering it is "closing in" which could mean 100k behind or maybe 300k behind.

Last edited:

Ronin_7

Banned

MrA

Banned
So the Xbox one is a bit ahead of a middling success console and ps5 is equal to a modestly successful console in half the time? How about some black friday data instead

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

This is very helpful!

So it seems like PS5 is outselling Xbox Series X and S by a ratio of approximately 62:38 in the UK now.

That is significantly up from the previous generation when the ratio used to be 57:43. Even up until March 2023, this ratio was only 56:44.

It seems like XBS sales have completely dropped off the cliff since March 2023 for the total ratio to go as high 62:38. These past 8 months must have had a ratio of 75:25 for the average to move up this fast. And the Holiday sales are coming!

P.S. Thick Thighs Save Lives Thick Thighs Save Lives - worth adding this information and Luminoth-4545 Luminoth-4545 's data on both PS5's and Xbox's estimates in the OP for additional context and an overall better thread.

Last edited:
Week
Thanks for this. We also know that Series reached 2 million sales this past May
300,000 from May to December, including E3, Starfield, Forza and Black Friday is pretty bad, even more so being their #2 biggest market.

Surely there's a mistake somewhere along the line in there.

If that is all accurate then it's even worse than I thought.

What were 3ds and 2DS numbers?

This is very helpful!

So it seems like PS5 is outselling Xbox Series X and S by a ratio of approximately 62:38 in the UK now.

That is significantly up from the previous generation when the ratio used to be 57:43. Even up until March 2023, this ratio was only 56:44.

It seems like XBS sales have completely dropped off the cliff since March 2023 for the total ratio to go as high 62:38. These past 8 months must have had a ratio of 75:25 for the average to move up this fast. And the Holiday sales are coming!

P.S. Thick Thighs Save Lives Thick Thighs Save Lives - worth adding this information and Luminoth-4545 Luminoth-4545 's data on both PS5's and Xbox's estimates in the OP for additional context and an overall better thread.

Wish there was some sort of threadmark system here on GAF because I'm not comfortable with adding guesstimates an/or inferred data to the OP. Additionally, all the information can be found on the first page of the thread anyway, so people should allow themselves 1-2 minutes to skim through it and find the additional info.

That said, I will add the 2 Luminoth posts you've linked to the OP. As for yours, if it's an important matter, do reach out to a mod and then they can edit my OP with the info they see fit.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Wish there was some sort of threadmark system here on GAF because I'm not comfortable with adding guesstimates an/or inferred data to the OP. Additionally, all the information can be found on the first page of the thread anyway, so people should allow themselves 1-2 minutes to skim through it and find the additional info.

That said, I will add the 2 Luminoth posts you've linked to the OP. As for yours, if it's an important matter, do reach out to a mod and then they can edit my OP with the info they see fit.
That's no problem.

By the way, the 62:38 ratio isn't a guess per se. I just converted the past official data (which Luminoth shared) into market share, arithmetically to calculate those ratios, as we already have Chris Dring's ratios (the tweet) as a reference point.

The ~75:25 was my only estimate.

DavidGzz

It's always wild to me how low Xbox Original sales were when my life consisted of nothing but Halo Lan parties for that whole generation. I guess there were a lot of people mooching back then.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It's fallen behind the Xbox one, actually I believe the Xbox Series consoles haven't been infront of the Xbox One consoles at any point in the generation in the UK.

That's shockingly bad for them. Brilliant hardware, squandered with a mediocre big tentpole release schedule has ruined them this generation. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
That's shockingly bad for them. Brilliant hardware, squandered with a mediocre big tentpole release schedule has ruined them this generation. They should be ashamed of themselves.
The XSX is, but the way they designed it is very expensive to manufacture apparently and contended with xCloud blades which means further reduced supply. The XSS on the other hand… anyways…

If the rumors about manufacturing costs are correct, there is factual evidence that the best design this generation is still PS5 (holistically).

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Xbox 360 sold 9.63m in the UK, Original Xbox did 2.21m. Its a massive gap.

That's nuts!!! Wow! What did the Xbox One do in the U.K.?

It's also a factor of Xbox's strategy. Day one games on PC and Gamepass will hurt.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The XSX is, but the way they designed it is very expensive to manufacture apparently and contended with xCloud blades which means further reduced supply. The XSS on the other hand… anyways…

If the rumors about manufacturing costs are correct, there is factual evidence that the best design this generation is still PS5 (holistically).

Yup, i think SOny have made strides to decrease the cost of manufacturing the PS5. THe launch system was obviously expensive but they have come a long way.

I think the main issue with PS5 is its original packaging size and weight so its shipping costs worldwide would be more I imagine. that doesnt affect the BOM though.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yup, i think SOny have made strides to decrease the cost of manufacturing the PS5. THe launch system was obviously expensive but they have come a long way.

I think the main issue with PS5 is its original packaging size and weight so its shipping costs worldwide would be more I imagine. that doesnt affect the BOM though.
I think the original system was still cheaper to manufacture and easier to make cheaper (proof is in the pudding ;)). Good point about packaging, but now that they know demand is there they could move bigger batches by ship instead of by plane… massive cost savings and now they can also make smaller boxes. I think it is the volume that would make the most difference.

Top Bottom