• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[GFK]In Germany, Console sales up over 90% in H1 2023. PS5 sold three times compared to last year..

Electret

Even the PS4 had a bump in sales. Meanwhile the Xbox Series... ouch.
iu

Last edited:
I told you so. No one gives a sh*t about XBOX in the rest of the world. The brand has been killed by MS since the very early days of the XBOX One and they had never recover since then in Europe, UK included. MS never put the money to make a proper come back. They did not care at all and they still don't care at all about Europe and Japan.

XBOX is now a US only thing that only US cares about thanks to MS.

Tsaki

If we assume that this chart is a 1-to-1 scale, then by pixel counting, Series consoles sales are over -30% when compared to last year. At the same time PS5 sales are being pixel-counted to ~240% over last year, so it's either not 1-to-1 scale or they didn't think that extra 40% was worth mentioning when compared to just saying "three times".

Last edited:

Nonehxc

Ouch, that's a thicc chonker...

I was gonna say Xbox Series was the cherry of the cake...but then I read 'sonstiger' over it which means 'Others'...

Woopah

Another bit of information is that retail software sales are up 2%. The top 3 selling titles were TOTK, Hogwarts Legacy and FIFA 23.

Zelda effect.

Overall, you can basically apply this data to every European market, in all honesty.
I was expecting Zelda to just slow down decline, so to lead to an increase is impressive.
I wonder how many consoles that is?
For context, in all of 2022 Switch sold around 790,000 and PS5 sold around 630,000.

Last edited:
Supply problems, maybe? But yeah, Germany alwas was kinda strange at places (European PC stronghold after all).
Scratch that, the data is revenue not units sold.

So as someone mentioned on IB, it could mean that more OLED’s were sold and less Lite’s compared to 2022.

Last edited:

Gaelyon

Gold Member
So the 3 consoles manufacturers managed each some kind of record :

- Switch improve its revenue despite being a 6 years old machine.
- Playstation is overwhelming the German market (console wise) with an increase unheard of.
- X-box manage to lower its revenue and market share to nearly be irrelevant, on its 3rd year only, which is sad ; I don't think any MS console was in that bad situation in this country at the same age.

Woopah

Why wouldn't it? I bought an XSX in June because of Starfield and played a couple of exclusives in the meanwhile.
Becuase games don't have a noticeable impact on hardware before they come out. It would be like expting Switch to get a boost from TOTK in February or March.

Gorgon

Becuase games don't have a noticeable impact on hardware before they come out. It would be like expting Switch to get a boost from TOTK in February or March.

I doubt that's the case (although I could be wrong). I think that sales would pick up substantially at least during the preceeding month of a game's release, in this case since August. And I would have expected an uptick already in July. But I do agree that outlier sales continue for a while after a game is released.

Another possibility is that the "Starfield effect" is already accounted for (at least partially), meaning that Xbox sales would have been even lower if not for Starfield. But who knows.

Anyway, curious to see what happens to Xbox sales in the upcoming months.

Woopah

I doubt that's the case (although I could be wrong). I think that sales would pick up substantially at least during the preceeding month of a game's release, in this case since August. And I would have expected an uptick already in July. But I do agree that outlier sales continue for a while after a game is released.

Another possibility is that the "Starfield effect" is already accounted for (at least partially), meaning that Xbox sales would have been even lower if not for Starfield. But who knows.

Anyway, curious to see what happens to Xbox sales in the upcoming months.
At least from previous sales data that's not what we see.

Again we saw a clear boost for Switch when TOTK came out and when the special edition came out, not before.

Likewise FFXVI gave PS5 a big boost in Japan the week it came out, not in April or May.

Top Bottom