• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[GFK]In Germany, Console sales up over 90% in H1 2023. PS5 sold three times compared to last year..

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Germany First Half: PS5 outsold Xbox Series 10-to-1

PS5 controls two thirds of the market, sales have tripled year-on-year

PS4, NSW sales up

Xbox Series sales have been down almost 18% in 2023

Console market up 90% (hardware unit sales)

Source: GfK (Presseportal)

9SHgs5M.jpg

PS5 outselling Xbox ten to one in Germany (and probably in the rest of mainland Europe, too)? Ouch. OUCH! There's a good chance Xbox Series S/X is going to end up as Microsoft's worst selling console - and that's not good considering that its predecessor was already seen as a sales disappointment. IMO it's time for MS to get out of the hardware business and focus on its game publishing business.

yazenov

PS5 controls two thirds of the market, sales have tripled year-on-year

PS4, NSW sales up

Xbox Series sales have been down almost 18% in 2023

Console market up 90% (hardware unit sales)

Source: GfK (Presseportal)

9SHgs5M.jpg

Hot damn, that's a total domination and that's before the price reduction promotions being offered.

Xbox Series facing shortages of supply or shortages of demand? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

yazenov

No? Why would I be new?

I assume because of the press conference hype before the game launches? It's basically a free advertisement for MS. So one would assume at least a bit of a hardware bump before the launch of the game.

Woopah

I assume because of the press conference hype before the game launches? It's basically a free advertisement for MS. So one would assume at least a bit of a hardware bump before the launch of the game.
Have we ever seen that before? Where hardware increased noticeably because of a trailer for an unreleased game?

Typically we dont see a noticeable bump in Switch sales when there is a Direct that announces new games. Nor was there any noticeable bump from any of the TOTK trailers. I wouldn't expect a State of Play to really bump PS5 hardware either.

The bumps come when the games come out.

Edit: To put it another way, do you expect to see Switch get a boost in August because Mario Wonder is coming out in October?

Last edited:

MrTired

PS5 outselling Xbox ten to one in Germany (and probably in the rest of mainland Europe, too)? Ouch. OUCH! There's a good chance Xbox Series S/X is going to end up as Microsoft's worst selling console - and that's not good considering that its predecessor was already seen as a sales disappointment. IMO it's time for MS to get out of the hardware business and focus on its game publishing business.
Not possible, it will certainly pass the Xbox but that might be the only Microsoft console the Series console outsell.

yazenov

Have we ever seen that before? Where hardware increased noticeablly because of a trailer for an unreleased game?

Typically we dont see a noticeable bump in Switch sales when there is a Direct that announces new games. Nor was there any noticeable bump from any of the TOTK trailers. I wouldn't expect a State of Play to really bump PS5 hardware either.

The bumps come when the games come out.

Have we ever seen hardware decline in a console's 3rd year? especially when there were excuses for shortages in its second year for terrible sales. Unprecedented times I guess. Maybe with Xbox consoles.

Starfield is the most anticipated Xbox 1st party exclusive game in a long time where there is a dry draught of no big hitters in a very long time, so at least a blip in the radar for its hardware sales is little to ask for. Yet, the console unit sales are down from last year.

We shall see if Starfield can stop the hardware decline even in the second half of the year. I seriously have my doubts now.

Last edited:
This is a typical example of why Microsoft have struggled in the EU. Sony have consistently marketed well, have localised well, have supported developers in the region and made games across a range of genres, including quirky ones.

Xbox can’t expect to be anywhere near these numbers without consistent effort.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Starfield will be a game changer
Xbox will dominate ps5 in September
Video Game Trailer GIF by BANDAI NAMCO

How about no? Armored Core 6 exist you know? It seems that too many people are still underestimating From Software... I would love for Starfield to be the 10/10 game that we all want. But this year is just packed with great games. And Armored Core 6 IS one of those!

Woopah

Have we ever seen hardware decline in a console's 3rd year? especially when there were excuses for shortages in its second year for terrible sales. Unprecedented times I guess. Maybe with Xbox consoles.

Starfield is the most anticipated Xbox 1st party exclusive game in a long time where there is a dry draught of no big hitters in a very long time, so at least a blip in the radar for its hardware sales is little to ask for. Yet, the console unit sales are down from last year.

We shall see if Starfield can stop the hardware decline even in the second half of the year. I seriously have my doubts now.
The hardware sales are definitely bad, I'm not saying they're good. What I am saying is that people interested in Starfield are going to buy the console for it when the game comes out, not two months before.

If/when there is a Starfield effect, it will be in September.

To repeat my previous question, do you think Mario Wonder's launch in October will give Switch hardware a boost in August?

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I thought Xbox one was rock bottom. But it feels like series is managing to gain even less mindshare.
Remember those articles in early 2022 when the Series S and/or X would outsell the PS5 in some countries?

Fun times.

Many of us tried to say it was only because of stock. I dont know whats going on with Series consoles....but one thing's for sure...Sony doesn't have a stock or demand issue.

Deep discounts on Series S....still declining in sales.

Price increase and a temp price cut on PS5....flying off shelves in both cases.

Its not gonna get any easier. Uphill battle continues for MS.

Unknown?

Nah it'll outsell the original, but will come behind Xbox One.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Remember those articles in early 2022 when the Series S and/or X would outsell the PS5 in some countries?

Fun times.

Many of us tried to say it was only because of stock. I dont know whats going on with Series consoles....but one thing's for sure...Sony doesn't have a stock or demand issue.

Deep discounts on Series S....still declining in sales.

Price increase and a temp price cut on PS5....flying off shelves in both cases.

Its not gonna get any easier. Uphill battle continues for MS.

What countries will the Xbox Series console "NOT" go up in?

damidu

they did Don dirty, all Phil achieved is failing harder while burning 1000x more money.

Katatonic

I've said it before, the Xbox has been rejected by the market at large, multiple times for at least 10 years straight. They should not have the juice to buy the biggest publishers in the industry and possibly take those games away from said games' main audience by far.

Pedro Motta

I've said it before, the Xbox has been rejected by the market at large, multiple times for at least 10 years straight. They should not have the juice to buy the biggest publishers in the industry and possibly take those games away from said games' main audience by far.
Xbox as a brand doesn't, papa Microsoft does.

Moses85

And Microsoft will increase the Price from 499€ to 549€

Canadian Lol GIF

Its already called „Brick Box“ here in Germany.

Morgan Freeman Good Luck GIF

Celebrate Rest In Peace GIF by Jason Clarke

MrA

Banned
Video Game Trailer GIF by BANDAI NAMCO

How about no? Armored Core 6 exist you know? It seems that too many people are still underestimating From Software... I would love for Starfield to be the 10/10 game that we all want. But this year is just packed with great games. And Armored Core 6 IS one of those!
Armored core is going to blow away sales of every previous armored core with ease, but mech sim doesn't have the appeal of open world rpg

How the hell would it dominate when 40% of the buying power from playstation gamers in Bethesda Fallout/Skyrim titles will be gone? People must have forgotten how games like Fallout 4 sold on Playstation vs PC and Xbox.
Some of those most dedicated Bethesda rpg fans will move to xbox or pc, obviously dropping playstation will reduce the overall market size for it but
the game is coming from that sold probably 100 million units on the last 2 games combine (we know skyrim is at 60 million last fallout 4 update was 20 million 7 years ago) even if only 1% of skyrims audience is waiting for starfield to buy a console, that would cause a 600k unit boost in xbox sales.

The hardware sales are definitely bad, I'm not saying they're good. What I am saying is that people interested in Starfield are going to buy the console for it when the game comes out, not two months before.

If/when there is a Starfield effect, it will be in September.

To repeat my previous question, do you think Mario Wonder's launch in October will give Switch hardware a boost in August?
I think we're seeing enthusiasts forget the average buyer doesn't follow every press release and product show
games move hardware at release , you and I know that because we like data and follow sales, the average enthusiast doesn't

I thought Xbox one was rock bottom. But it feels like series is managing to gain even less mindshare.
Everybody does seem to eating up ms slice of the pie, frankly if switch 2 and ps5pro both release next year and ms doesn't have some last minute magic they're done for this gen, they could drop the xbsx to 100 usd and I doubt it could change their situation

Armored core is going to blow away sales of every previous armored core with ease, but mech sim doesn't have the appeal of open world rpg

Some of those most dedicated Bethesda rpg fans will move to xbox or pc, obviously dropping playstation will reduce the overall market size for it but
the game is coming from that sold probably 100 million units on the last 2 games combine (we know skyrim is at 60 million last fallout 4 update was 20 million 7 years ago) even if only 1% of skyrims audience is waiting for starfield to buy a console, that would cause a 600k unit boost in xbox sales.

I think we're seeing enthusiasts forget the average buyer doesn't follow every press release and product show
games move hardware at release , you and I know that because we like data and follow sales, the average enthusiast doesn't

Everybody does seem to eating up ms slice of the pie, frankly if switch 2 and ps5pro both release next year and ms doesn't have some last minute magic they're done for this gen, they could drop the xbsx to 100 usd and I doubt it could change their situation
You forget most hardcore rpg fans have already a good pc.They love modding too
only a few will buy an xbox x for Starfield because lots of PlayStation owners have already a good pc and lots of Xbox players have also a pc.The PlayStation gamers who wants to play Starfield will do so on his pc.Some players have ps5 and or xbox x/s they will play on them.

MrA

Banned
You forget most hardcore rpg fans have already a good pc.They love modding too
only a few will buy an xbox x for Starfield because lots of PlayStation owners have already a good pc and lots of Xbox players have also a pc.The PlayStation gamers who wants to play Starfield will do so on his pc.Some players have ps5 and or xbox x/s they will play on them.
I literally addressed the point and attributed a tiny number of users a mere 1%
And on mods and pc you're looking at this as an enthusiast, the average Bethesda rpg player doesn't care about mods no matter how much enthusiasts think they matter, by 2015 only 8% of skyrim players used mods
Mods for Bethesda games are popular because Bethesda games are popular, not the other way around ,

Woopah

Yeah I think you're right, same with all the people who thought Xbox would get an immediate sales boost from its positive showcase.

Impressive, with WW3 wiping its feet at Germany back door. I kid, I kid

Gaming has never been in a better position, the amount of games to play is only the things of fantasies and wet dreams back in 80s’.
Population growth for this planet is off the charts, more people to buy things.

Question is, how long can this go on for. I hope forever or as long as I’m alive.

Top Bottom