• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost in the Shell's ending spurs new accusations of even worse whitewashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timeaisis

Is that really a twist? I assumed that was the case from after seeing the first trailer.

I mean she's named Makoto and is a cyborg. I guess people that have no knowledge of the manga it could be a surprise.

RedSwirl

Speed Racer is the best. It also didn't make the dumb mistake of being set in Japan.

Other an apparently shitty script, Ghost in the Shell's problems begin by setting it in a non-descript Asian city, just like the 1995 movie. Should've been an entirely American/Western adaptation. This is like The Departed taking place in Hong Kong, but still starring Leo DiCaprio, while everyone else remains Chinese.

If you're going to adapt an Asian property for western audiences, you need to go all the way. This half-assed whitewashed way of doing things is pointless.

Wait, it also takes place in an Asian city? That's dumb.

Like the twist, it was probably an attempt to mitigate the whitewashing that ended up making things worse, just like when it came to light they'd investigated ways to make the white actors look Asian through CG. All that just tells me the people working on this movie didn't know what they were doing when trying to reconcile the whole issue.

hirokazu

Like the twist, it was probably an attempt to mitigate the whitewashing that ended up making things worse, just like when it came to light they'd investigated ways to make the white actors look Asian through CG.
I'd mostly forgotten about that. They came out and strongly denied that took place though.

KtSlime

In the manga, doesn't a "western" female show up? I remember her looking completely different than everyone else.

Also in the the anime, don't american soilders show up and call section 9 "japs"?

There really is no guessing when it comes to GitS it is quite explicit, "At the edge of Asia, in a strange corporate-conglomerate-state, Japan..." is written on the very first page.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I don't think I will (it comes out this Friday) so I don't know what they changed. But it hasn't looked at all interesting to me ever since I saw the first trailer.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Lol, I was already scratching my head when I read about them exploring CGIing Asian features on ScarJo but this ouch. Not that I'm upset it's kind of hilarious in a very weird and rather uncomfortable way.

Saya

I'd mostly forgotten about that. They came out and strongly denied that took place though.

No, I think they said these tests were done except not on ScarJo. From Paramount:

A test was done related to a specific scene for a background actor which was ultimately discarded. Absolutely no visual effects tests were conducted on Scarlett’s character and we have no future plans to do so.

hirokazu

No, I think they said these tests were done except not on ScarJo. From Paramount:
Yeah, I've forgotten most of the circumstances surrounding on this, including that they admitted doing so for a minor character. IIRC the rumour was they were testing making Scarlett look more Asian and the statement you quoted is a pretty strong denial of that.

Man this seems so familiar where have I seen thi-

Oh yeah, there seems to be some kind of correlation between fetishism, lack of self-awareness and diet racism, especially around GITS. Who could've guessed?

Sexuality can't be racism. That fetish line is a sarcastic bait. I do love asian women, especially Japanese. They are not fetishes to me, like to many anime/manga freaks. I like my women to be alive, not fantasies. This was written to show hypocrisy surrounding the whole anime scene.

And if you don't have any high-profile asian-american actresses at the moment to star a blockbuster scifi-action movie, it's hard to cast anyone but a flavor of the month to bring in the bare minimum from the box office. It's so logical, but your agenda is blinding you (like always).

This out of context "copy-pasting" needs to stop. It's venomous and harmful. And mostly fucking childish bully behavior from insecure people with political agendas.

I lost it at that DoubleToasted review

Yeah.... I'll eventually get around to watching this for all the great work Weta and the production team put into the presentation
...other than that, lol

Yeah, I've forgotten most of the circumstances surrounding on this, including that they admitted doing so for a minor character. IIRC the rumour was they were testing making Scarlett look more Asian and the statement you quoted is a pretty strong denial of that.

That wasn't just some rumor. There were pictures. They just lied about it.

EVOL 100%

Holy shit. This thread is so frustrating to read that it's making my head spin. Is this what Asian Americans go through?

There was actually a person who flat out said small eyes=Asian. Lmao

You can bet your asses that the CG work for making white actors look more Japanese would have been turning eyes into slits, and ridiculously high cheekbones

Yeah, the "twist" is terrible.

I watched it and thought it was totally unnecessary and hokey as fuck.
That scene with the mother and the scene after the movie is over

Oh my fucking god.

It's written in to displace the casting and make it okay and in turn, made it worse.

also

the majority of the cast is white while the people in the city are asian (and they're either pimps or degenerates or people working in the slummy areas). It's bizarre.

+

I should also add: re: white washing and this filmic universe

Batou + Major are both white.

The majority of the people they mow down are asians as the city is predominantly asian (except for the leads)

The thugs in the first shoot out are all asian + the robots

The club they visit has all asian thugs who all got shot and killed

they go into the slum and the woman hacker is asian as are all the asian slum tech people. who also all get shot/blown up

the only 3 significant plot villians are white the 2 garbage truck men are white, the main villian is white and given ample screen time - with one being in the water area fight. Anyone with huge amounts of screen time is white.

This movie can be quite troublesome from a race politics angle. Basically, if you're asian, you're going to be shot and killed by 2 white characters.

Arkeband

Banned
This movie can be quite troublesome from a race politics angle. Basically, if you're asian, you're going to be shot and killed by 2 white characters.

Lol basically, unless they're shot by Aramaki, Togusa, or Ishikawa (edit: or Saito!), who possibly kill more people in the movie than the two leads do. But, details, the important part is that you feel right.

Lol basically, unless they're shot by Aramaki, Togusa, or Ishikawa, who possibly kill more people in the movie than the two leads do. But, details, the important part is that you feel right.

it is what it is. The body count in the club and tower alone is pretty high. And that's Batou and Major.

I loved it. My fiancee​ loved it. It's very very true to the anime and very well made. I really don't give a shit about the Major being white, they had to get as big a western recognized lead they could to have a chance at convincing the general pop to see it. As big fans of the anime, we thought it was fuckin great despite that reality. She's a minority and thinks the race issue is completely overblown. I would agree and see it as just the typical way people try their hardest to find any reason to hate Hollywood remakes, but I'm white so I must be racist.

I loved it. My fiancee​ loved it. It's very very true to the anime and very well made. I really don't give a shit about the Major being white, they had to get as big a western recognized lead they could to have a chance at convincing the general pop to see it. As big fans of the anime, we thought it was fuckin great despite that reality. She's a minority and thinks the race issue is completely overblown. I would agree and see it as just the typical way people try their hardest to find any reason to hate Hollywood remakes, but I'm white so I must be racist.
Agreed on all fronts, plus this movie had a lot of Asians in it so those actors are getting work at least. It could have had a few more like Pits character and the main bad guy but I liked ScarJo as Major. Fun movie and visually well produced.

Regarding major being"perfect", she is considered so because her expirament was successful, melding human brain in a cybernetic core, not because of her face is white.

The movie doesn't handle it perfectly but there are much worse examples of movies whitewashing their cast.

No, but you said the movie wouldn't have been a success with an Asian lead.

No, I said Hollywood thinks that. Me, seeing how the movie is doing with a "bankable" star think it wouldn't do better with a lesser known Asian lead.

Blockbusters usually require a movie star attached to get made, especially ones thought of as risky. It's as simple as that, and no Asian actress is a ScarJo level movie star, not internationally. Truth be told the amount of female stars the studios would even consider for this sort of expensive blockbuster is probably less than 5, if these last few years are any indication...

The movie could have been done in Japan, with an Asian lead, but it wouldn't be a Hollywood movie.

Some thoughts:

All GITS takes place in Japan, except the 1995 movie that takes place in a Hong Kong like place.
In the manga, they go to Hokkaido to check on soviet activities
In Innocence, there are clear references to the Yakuza.
SAC has a very Japanese esthetic and there is plenty of location referenced ( the smart tank trying to go to his parents)

I always wondered how connected it was with Appleseed as Japan become Poseidon.

I have a potentially additional stupid explanation of the dumbfound behavior of the studio:

Everyone on GAF says Asian but could it be more linked that from what we can see , us movie studio court the Chinese market and to put it lightly relationship between Japan and China are not that nice to put it lightly: remember how japan reacted to memory of a Geisha?
Or when Asian American students petitioned to ban white people from wearing kimono at an expo and the Japanese government thought it was Chinese anti Japanese demonstrations?

I'm also wondering how China would have accepted a movie putting Japan has a triumphant nation.

The movie was bound to be insensitive from the start. The only way they could have salvaged it would have been to make it in the same way as Edge of tomorrow.

Jotaka

Except this about leader need to be a star is.... a myth

Check this post from

They've statistically crunched the numbers. Star power doesn't really do much of anything. Pick a star, I'll show you a bomb.

From the article I previously posted:
http://www.economist.com/news/busin...bank-pulling-power-famous-actors-fading-stars

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-how-star-power-840328

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...matter-25-franchises-20160616-snap-story.html

On the Rock, he didn't make Fast Five. Fast Five made the Rock; that was the beginning of his rise. Look at the films before Fast Five and the films after. Or do you consider Faster, Gridiron Gang, Doom, and Walking Tall to be the height of cinema?

Lucy is an easy sell of an action film, with a strong premise. GITS is not. That's why one opened to $43 million and went on to do $463 million worldwide, and the other will open to $20 million.

Brand before star. Do you wonder why actors jump on to do Marvel, DC, and Star Wars films. That's why.

wazoo

Infernal Affairs is a Hong Kong film. It is also better.

No it is not. They are different (and Scorsese is a better director). The departed earned 4 majors oscars. So many people disagree with you.

Looking at the current controversy, Scorsese was right to move the story in Boston. And of course, he wanted to act with De Caprio.

when you say its very very true to the anime.

um, no.

out of curiosity, what "minority" is she?

acc6d0cc2fa3030894e8979ca5c07a44.png

Hagi

You don't really need to try hard to find fault with the race issues in this movie, especially when they make it such a key part of the film. I guess it's hard to disagree with people without downplaying their opinions though.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
So they either wrote this script before casting fully intent on casting a non-Asian actor, or they added it on after the casting controversy in a failed attempt to make it okay. Don't worry guys, she is Asian on the inside but her white body is now more evolved.

Everyone on the development team at Hanka Robotics is either naturally white or so much of a cyborg that their race doesn't really factor into things anymore.

Let's not get crazy, white people are the badguys of this movie. It's not that the villains happen to be white, it's that white people are the villains.

I havent seen the new movie so I cant comment in depth, but if rich white folk are the bad guys and their whitewashing robots are demonstrated to be a bad thing, then I dont really think it makes things worse in the movie either. In the context of the story I guess it maybe helps?
It is funny though because it reflects back on the filmmakers themselves. They kind of shot themselves in the foot with that one, didn't they? It's pretty embarrassing outside the context of the story and taking into account the actual production process. They made themselves out to be the bad guys in their own movie. I dont think they really thought this through haha

out of curiosity, what "minority" is she?

Is it time to assess how true a scotsman she is?

tuxfool

Banned

wat

Also, Strawman the post.

firelogic

Best one is still Speed Racer and I'm fully aware that it's not a best movie in the world by a long shot but people want to give Ghost a pass cause its insanely visually pretty which I credit more to the original (and the VFX studios) than the live action movie.

You don't get a pass in my opinion for just copy and paste the original imagery

I'm going to agree. It's not a great movie but it was, and still is, visually stunning and the races were pretty rad.

Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent, from the golden era of animated superhero cartoons.

Nobody could mistake either of these characters for Asian, despite their extremely thin eyes.

I just wanted to say that as a kid, the animated Batman and Superman were absolutely Asian as far as I was concerned, or at least mixed like me. Same goes for Lois Lane and the Robins. That was a major contributing factor to me being a D.C. fan; I interpreted these cartoons as having large casts of non-stereotyped Asian characters. Nowadays I know that these casts are super white, but it meant a lot to me as a kid to indetify with characters that I at least perceived as being like me.

P.S. Anime characters don't look white.

This is a satire post right? I mean it checks all the most blatant excuses perfectly...All that's needed is some rant about Japanese and honor and shame...

Is it time to assess how true a scotsman she is?

I was thinking more, don't you know what race/ethnicity your finance is? Why refer to her background but omit it?

and why does being a "minority" give weight to her opinion on this subject, specifically? Is she from a religious, racial, ethnic or other social minority, and why does that make her opinions more relevant to the topic?

Mostly, it's a strange and frankly bullshit way to refer to yourself or another person, imo. You know what background she's descended from, why exclude that detail but specify that she's a "minority"?

Really, it's much less true scotsman and more like "I have a black friend"

I just wanted to say that as a kid, the animated Batman and Superman were absolutely Asian as far as I was concerned, or at least mixed like me. Same goes for Lois Lane and the Robins. That was a major contributing factor to me being a D.C. fan; I interpreted these cartoons as having large casts of non-stereotyped Asian characters. Nowadays I know that these casts are super white, but it meant a lot to me as a kid to indetify with characters that I at least perceived as being like me.

P.S. Anime characters don't look white.

When I was a kid, I was convinced Tony Stark was latino in some unspecified way. He always reminded my of Desi Arnaz.

To this day, in my head cannon, Iron Man is Cuban, B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom