• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima - Review Thread

Soodanim

Gold Member
Just finished watching ACG's review. Definitely adding this to the "If I get a PS5" list. Also enjoyed ACG's nat 20 joke, he sounded like he really enjoyed this enjoyed talking about this one.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
The opposite of Days Gone is TLOU2.

TLOU2 is an okay game with amazing reviews. Days Gone is an amazing game with okay reviews.

Yeah I went there.
Probably because the influencers that Sony was bribing with shiny collectors editions that came with their review copies might have something to do with it.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Say what you will about Days Gone, with it's technical problems and all, it's likely one of the better looking games of the generation.

days-gone-image-6.jpg

I CAN'T WAIT to play this game for the first time on the PS5!!

SkylineRKR

Seems the biggest complains revolves around open-world tropes. Which honestly, ain't a problem for most people, some critics have dragged down the score massively because of it, while the average seem to be about 90 if you remove these few very low scores. I'm impressed, and I'm gonna buy it.

I get the criticism, but what I don't get is how the likes of Spiderman got away with it. That game had like the blandest clear bandit camps and solve crimes by beating up a gank squad imaginable. There was almost zero interaction in the sandbox. That game actually reminded me a fuck ton of Infamous. If I didn't know Insomniac made it, I would suspect Sucker Punch right away.

Tsushima seems to have lots of filler and repeated quests as well. I guess you can ignore a lot of it. If the story is decent, then I'm happy. Most of these games don't really excel when it comes to the storyline.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I get the criticism, but what I don't get is how the likes of Spiderman got away with it. That game had like the blandest clear bandit camps and solve crimes by beating up a gank squad imaginable. There was almost zero interaction in the sandbox. That game actually reminded me a fuck ton of Infamous. If I didn't know Insomniac made it, I would suspect Sucker Punch right away.

Tsushima seems to have lots of filler and repeated quests as well. I guess you can ignore a lot of it. If the story is decent, then I'm happy. Most of these games don't really excel when it comes to the storyline.

Spider Man certainly needs work in the content department outside of the main quest. I think that's largely forgivable as it's the first outing and should be judged more harshly going forward. The nailed the traversal aspects, had fun Batman-styled combat spiced up with a ton of gadgets and suit abilities, and presented a great story.

sonyfifa

Ghost of Tsushima being yet another new and successful influenced me to make this while being in the car for a few hours on a road trip:

imagine half of the games off centre making it in the hall of fame of playstation
Is there a better publisher than Sony by the metrics for this generation?

Bragr

Banned

Well, the repetitive task was the main criticism of that game too. But it also had stuff like the excellent web-slinging mechanics and traversal systems. But that game has a 87 on meta now, it's not that far off.

SkylineRKR

Well, the repetitive task was the main criticism of that game too. But it also had stuff like the excellent web-slinging mechanics and traversal systems. But that game has a 87 on meta now, it's not that far off.

Fair enough. But I think Tsushima has the beautiful feudal Japan vistas and the horseback seems to be on point. I enjoyed Spiderman enough to plat it (though I hated the bandit waves and got sick of the second half of crimes), I will probably be fine with GoT.

I just beat TLoU 2 and I'm not a huge fan of ND's design, but that game probably had the best encounter design in an ND game to date. So I'm likely not spoilt by it and I'm ready for GoT.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Am I the only one who feels like Breath of the Wild was ahead of it's generation? the way that game entices exploration is more advanced and nuanced than any open-world game I can think of. I'm not saying it's better than GTA V or RDR2, but the world in that game is magical. I suspect the influences of that game will show itself in the next generation more and more.

Bragr

Banned
Fair enough. But I think Tsushima has the beautiful feudal Japan vistas and the horseback seems to be on point. I enjoyed Spiderman enough to plat it (though I hated the bandit waves and got sick of the second half of crimes), I will probably be fine with GoT.

I just beat TLoU 2 and I'm not a huge fan of ND's design, but that game probably had the best encounter design in an ND game to date. So I'm likely not spoilt by it and I'm ready for GoT.
I also did the platinum for Spider-Man, and I share the hatred for the crime encounters. I spent half my playtime going back and fourth waiting for that fucking police radar to show a new crime. Without it, I would have better memories of that game for sure.

Bartski

Gold Member
After seeing some more of the game - even though it seems way less innovative in areas where I really hoped it to be, I'm still super excited for the weekend. It looks fantastic for what it is in a number of unexpected ways, what an amazing end to a console generation.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Oh... Actually, same here. Never thought that before but now that you mentioned it, it seems I more often have fun with 80-90 games than 90+. Revelation!

Wow this is true on some levels. I thought games like Witcher 3, Botw, Read dead 3, etc were mehhh 70 games and had more fun with Days Gone. The combat in those games killed me a D I only finished botw which had diff issues.

bender

What time is it?
Am I the only one who feels like Breath of the Wild was ahead of it's generation? the way that game entices exploration is more advanced and nuanced than any open-world game I can think of. I'm not saying it's better than GTA V or RDR2, but the world in that game is magical. I suspect the influences of that game will show itself in the next generation more and more.

Sure it has some tower and way point mechanics, but over all BOTW approach to exploration is a more organic and a deviation from the norm. I wouldn't call it ahead of its' time but more a return to the design sensibilities before detailed in game maps, way-points and GPS systesm.

kunonabi

It entices exploration brilliantly until you realize it all ends in the same copy/paste "rewards" 90% of the time. Really what set BotW apart was the traversal and how well laid out the map was that something is always catching your eye leading you to detour after detour. Everything outside of those two elements had major issues.

tassletine

I think Spider-Man got away with it because it was a comic book tithe and also because it was really well paced. Most open world games are bloated and Spider-Man capitalised on that.

It's actual complex level design. Zelda teams for decades specialize in creating three dimensional spaces where the layout itself is a puzzle, and is painstakingly crafted to subtly guide you to solutions without being too obtuse. It's not really surprising they would put that same attention to design into an open world game. In Skyward Sword they literally made the outworld portions the same way they made dungeons for the most part.

Most open world teams are just kind of stringing together art assets more than actually approaching the design from a gameplay first perspective. So no I don't think it's ahead of its time really. I think it's just what Zelda has always done well.

Darth

Days gone is the most confusing “it’s actually good!!” Game this generation for me. Because it’s actually trash. I think I sold it after the 7-8hour mark or so.

Forced myself through 3-4 hours.. If you have to spend more than that for the game to start getting enjoyable well that is a problem.

bender

What time is it?
It entices exploration brilliantly until you realize it all ends in the same copy/paste "rewards" 90% of the time. Really what set BotW apart was the traversal and how well laid out the map was that something is always catching your eye leading you to detour after detour. Everything outside of those two elements had major issues.

Rewards don't need to be great though. That old sayings, it's the journey, not the destination. The world and different biomes are varied and feel hand crafted. It's all bolstered by fun traversal mechanics. I loved just being in that world and it's probably my favorite open world to explore since Morrowind..

tassletine

Days gone is the most confusing “it’s actually good!!” Game this generation for me. Because it’s actually trash. I think I sold it after the 7-8hour mark or so.
I imagine
I really need to get on that Days Gone joint. I like the overall aesthetic/theme and it looks stunning, just have a backlog a mile long. I'll jump on it along with HZD (which I bought the CE but sits in the backlog) come PS5.
It’s not amazing but it is good. It’s one of those games where you wish they’d been given another year or so. Everything is there, it’s just a little unpolished. Lots of bugs, dumb Ai etc. The graphics are good and it’s quite a mature game in lots of ways. It’s definitely got something.

THEAP99

Banned
This is really how I expect to treat ghost of tsushima.

Just as a nice relaxing game, not exactly the greatest thing ever or most compelling, just simply enjoyable and something to relax to hopefully

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Days Gone is a pile of garbage. Don’t compare that trailer trash to world class game that is TLOU2. Any developer with a credit on TLOU2 will be able to find a job elsewhere quite easily. They’re at the top of industry whether you like it or not. Can’t say the same for Days Gone which is a sale game at best:

Bro did you really try to take on a Breaker with a knife lol they're brute enemies... molotovs, traps and rifles are the best for them

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I don't understand the fucking review world anymore.
This game get's a 84 while TLoU II 94

This looks so much more fun any unique.

Yeah, I'm surprised at the score. I expected this to score off the charts, considering the scores TLOU2 got. To me this game just looks like a much better game overall.

No question, TLOU has excellent photorealistic graphics, but I much prefer the look of the gorgeous art direction in this game. For me this is the only game this gen that rivals Ori in sheer beauty of the world the devs created. The game also looks like it would be a lot of fun to play. Lots to explore and discover. I loved that convention where you look to nature and animal's cues to make discoveries. Finally unless the story is absolute garbage I highly doubt it will be as divisive as TLOU.

I'll be interested to see what everyone here thinks of this game after they get their hands on it..

Oh... Actually, same here. Never thought that before but now that you mentioned it, it seems I more often have fun with 80-90 games than 90+. Revelation!

I was just thinking the same thing. It seems most of my favorite games fall within that range. I suspect if I still had a PS4, this game would be one of my favorite games this gen.

Last edited:

Umbral

It’s the glamour that has people overlook things for some titles and not others. It was Spiderman and the MCU was at its peak, it was the first Spiderman game in a long time, it had loads of suits. I think the open-world stuff in Spiderman was boring after about the 10th time doing it. The webslinging was also too automatic. It gets a pass because it’s Spiderman.
Well, you missed one of the best games to come out this gen. You can’t win ‘em all, I guess. 7-8 hours in a 60-80 hour game isn’t shit. The game is huge.
The webslinging required no skill. On one hand, since it’s going for a mainstream audience it makes sense, but if you’re looking for something engaging beyond the initial excitement of swinging, this isn’t it. Traversal needed some work too. It settled close to what it probably should have been though.

Hobbygaming

but she can't romance boys and girls in tsushima, she clearly like valhalla more.

enemy reaction, gore, animations, ragdoll etc. are not nearly in the same planet as tlou2.
the most satysfing weapon in term of impact in days gone is the huge 50 cal sniper rifle, the shotguns are pretty good overall but the machine guns in general have too jerky hit reactions for my tastes.

chicago chopper was a good weapon for hordes tho:messenger_fistbump:
Yeah TLOU 2's enemy reactions/hit detection alone puts it above but I still love Days Gone's shooting too

Lol Yeah, I fought the hordes over and over that's why I love the chopper 👍

Hobbygaming

Yeah, I'm surprised at the score. I expected this to score off the charts, considering the scores TLOU2 got. To me this game just looks like a much better game overall.

No question, TLOU has excellent photorealistic graphics, but I much prefer the look of the gorgeous art direction in this game. For me this is the only game this gen that rivals Ori in sheer beauty of the world the devs created. The game also looks like it would be a lot of fun to play. Lots to explore and discover. I loved that convention where you look to nature and animal's cues to make discoveries. Finally unless the story is absolute garbage I highly doubt it will be as divisive as TLOU.

I'll be interested to see what everyone here thinks of this game after they get their hands on it..

I was just thinking the same thing. It seems most of my favorite games fall within that range. I suspect if I still had a PS4, this game would be one of my favorite games this gen.
You gotta love people that have never played TLOU 2 saying they don't understand how it got higher scores 🤣 but yeah Ghost of Tsushima looks great too

GymWolf

The AI really hurt Days Gone, it works very well with the hordes but the humans are a mess. You think Gears have a perfect cover system though? I hoped they would adjust it a bit in Gears 5.
cover system in gears is not good to see because the animations are always the same and you kinda slide into covers but it's very precise, and believe me, i'm not really a fan of gears games.

tassletine

Not to derail the thread, but just wanted to say... besides it’s production values/animations....Days Gone, being the most apt comparison for TLOU2, is superior in every way......it just seemingly LACKED the proper agenda pushed.
No it’s not. Days Gone is good, but I played it before and after LOU2 (playing it now) — and the AI is terrible, the animations can be clunky and it’s full of bugs.
Ultimately though it does kind of edge LOU out as it’s just more well rounded.

GymWolf

Days Gone is a pile of garbage. Don’t compare that trailer trash to world class game that is TLOU2. Any developer with a credit on TLOU2 will be able to find a job elsewhere quite easily. They’re at the top of industry whether you like it or not. Can’t say the same for Days Gone which is a sale game at best:

outside of some clunky animations i don't see many problems, days gone always was bootleg tlou in terms of combat since the reveal gameplay trailer.

and you are not supposed to fight the tankiest enemy in the game with the shittiest melee weapon in the game, it's straight up moronic.

try to fight a bloaters in tlou2 with ellie knife and see what happen...

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

cover system in gears is not good to see because the animations are always the same and you kinda slide into covers but it's very precise, and believe me, i'm not really a fan of gears games.
I wonder if Gears 6 will have an updated animation system

Top Bottom