• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima Director’s Cut PC cross-play and system requirements revealed. PlayStation overlay, cross-play, and Trophy support!

nikos

Cool feature for sure, it'll be a way for my now dormant PSN account to live on.

Wonder if it'll be added to their other PC releases.

Last edited:
Maybe. Depends which way you look at it, competitors are already doing it, Sony already do it for PS4/PS5, so maybe like they do for PS5 upgrades, you pay an extra £10 to get the other version too. I guess as it stands specific work is being done on these games for PC so it should be dedicated revenue, I don't mind paying for that, but double dipping at full price is a bit much, I end up buying Steam keys a few months later instead, not sure how much Sony would get off that. As a consumer I just like the idea of being able to buy a game once and be able to play it on every device it is compatible with, but maybe it is unrealistic. Maybe they don't fancy the thought of trying to compete with Steam on PC so this is the easiest path.

What competitors? Microsoft which is floundering?

PlayStation is a platform in itself, eschewing its sales revenue on PC doesn't make much sense and I doubt 3rd parties would be on board.

It's definitely unrealistic.

Bojji

Gaiff Gaiff

That's for performance mode

Resolution mode is still targeting 60 fps at 2160p Checkerboard

So

1920x2160 = 4.147.200 pixels

So still half the pixels of native 4K and just 12.5% above 1440p

Game recommends GPU almost on PS5 Pro level of raster power (6800) to render that 1440p in 60 fps - something that standard PS5 is doing (amount of pixels in that 2160cb).

I think Nixxes is doing too much ports at the same time, most of them have serious issues and are unoptimized. This is a fucking PS4 game (not even close to FW improvements of PS5 version vs. PS4).

Topher

Gold Member
UBB6PQR.jpeg

You even have to have a PlayStation account.

"To make use of features like Trophies, Friends list, and cross-play, you can sign in with your existing account for PlayStation Network or create a new account. The use of PlayStation overlay is optional for both the single player experience and Legends mode. "

episode 14 GIF
Jimmy Fallon Omg GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
mtv artists on tumblr GIF by G1ft3d

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
One step closer to every console being just an app. This "overlay" will be your console in 10 years, and you can take it to mobile, PC, TV, handhelds, cloud and it'll play on pretty much anything. You can guess what the implications are for physical media.

And there is no future where consoles decline in relevance, PC increases in relevance, and we don't get launchers for basically every 3rd party publisher. Kind of absurd for Sony to put in the work making a PC port and then giving Valve 30% for doing literally nothing. Sony has the capability to host the downloads and do all of that themselves.

All anyone needs is a program that displays your whole library across all stores. Really makes zero sense for Valve to make anything on Sony PC games, or really any large publisher. Smaller games and indies depend on other storefronts. Seems like the obvious future. Guess we'll see.

So 10 years from now you believe Sony will have no need for a PS7?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I think there's always going to be a need for a localized computer box because cloud isn't going to be good enough for everyone. PS will expand so that it's more available. PS7 will almost surely be digital only. So the real value is going to be just in your account, "the app." That app login will be on virtually any device. But I think there will probably still be enough people around that want a digital PS7, but they will be a smaller and older age cohort.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Nah, this is the building a loyal base on another platform.
Eventually they all become one, doesn't matter if they on Playstation hardware or not.
And spill over is guaranteed once they're into the ecosystem.
Imagine Sony now has an audience that wouldn't normally show interest in their shows and stuff.
Now they're are and like what they are getting on PC from Playstation, but they can have more..
They show new stuff that excites them and now they're left with a choice.
Do they really want to play it or wait for an announcement that may never come.
Either way Sony Profits.
I mean sure you'll have your elites that will buy Playstation games on PC and turn this feature off and will never buy a console because they are the Master Race 🙄
But some will buy a Playstation just to play and they double dip if it ever gets released on PC.
that's what Sony wants, and when you're already in the ecosystem... it's sooo much easier to be tempted.
After all it worked for DVD & Blu-ray.

Fabieter

Nah, this is the building a loyal base on another platform.
Eventually they all become one, doesn't matter if they on Playstation hardware or not.
And spill over is guaranteed once they're into the ecosystem.
Imagine Sony now has an audience that wouldn't normally show interest in their shows and stuff.
Now they're are and like what they are getting on PC from Playstation, but they can have more..
They show new stuff that excites them and now they're left with a choice.
Do they really want to play it or wait for an announcement that may never come.
Either way Sony Profits.
I mean sure you'll have your elites that will buy Playstation games on PC and turn this feature off and will never buy a console because they are the Master Race 🙄
But some will buy a Playstation just to play and they double dip if it ever gets released on PC.
that's what Sony wants, and when you're already in the ecosystem... it's sooo much easier to be tempted.
After all it worked for DVD & Blu-ray.

As a lifelong playstation and pc fanboy. No one will buy a console over this.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Those people already play on pc why would cost matter if they already play on the platform that will eventually get all Playstation games with all the perks that comes with the console.

You said "no one will buy a console over this". So clearly you seem to think the days of consoles are numbered.

Fabieter

You said "no one will buy a console over this". So clearly you seem to think the days of consoles are numbered.

The post I quoted said this feature and games on pc will benefit the console side of ecosystem and people on pc will buy consoles over this, no they won't. And yes with no special features or games on consoles the days are numbered. For me the last feature keeping me on consoles somewhat is physical and knowing sony they will be stupid enough to kill that benefit next.

BlackTron

> Cross-platform features
> Entirely optional

Is this one of those rare cases where everyone wins? Good on you, Sony.

I think everyone wins here except for Sony.

If they wish to decrease the value their brand while increasing the utility of my PC, more power to them. MS wrote a book on it I'm not sure why you'd want to borrow a page from.

IMO what we are seeing from PS is overconfidence while riding high. When Nintendo was at their lowest and most desperate they wouldn't put games on PC for a buck because they know guarding those IP are their only chance. Sony meanwhile puts games on PC to fill a gap in their lofty sales projection. It won't be as immediate as Xbox with day one games, but even holding them 2 years, I think over a decade IP creep will really ding the strength of the brand.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Certainly seems Sony is ramping up support on PC 🫢 Helldivers 2, Until Dawn, Forbidden West, this game this year alone. And PSVR2

Hopefully Gran Turismo, Spider-Man 2, and God of War Ragnarok isn’t too far behind now

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Those people already play on pc why would cost matter if they already play on the platform that will eventually get all Playstation games with all the perks that comes with the console.

A huge percentage of gamers are high school kids and younger who just wanna play Fortnite, CoD and FIFA. Their parents aren’t gonna run out and buy them $2,000 PCs. Just like the people with PCs aren’t gonna start buying 3rd party games on consoles. Thankfully Sony execs aren’t dumb fanboys.

Fabieter

I think everyone wins here except for Sony.

If they wish to decrease the value their brand while increasing the utility of my PC, more power to them. MS wrote a book on it I'm not sure why you'd want to borrow a page from.

IMO what we are seeing from PS is overconfidence while riding high. When Nintendo was at their lowest and most desperate they wouldn't put games on PC for a buck because they know guarding those IP are their only chance. Sony meanwhile puts games on PC to fill a gap in their lofty sales projection. It won't be as immediate as Xbox with day one games, but even holding them 2 years, I think over a decade IP creep will really ding the strength of the brand.

It doesnt end with games with full trophy and dualsense support, there is nothing left. Like you said the effect won't come immediately but they think they are golden with this and all it means its just growth. This is gonna end up worse than ps3 for sony.

Fabieter

A huge percentage of gamers are high school kids and younger who just wanna play Fortnite, CoD and FIFA. Their parents aren’t gonna run out and buy them $2,000 PCs. Just like the people with PCs aren’t gonna start buying 3rd party games on consoles. Thankfully Sony execs aren’t dumb fanboys.

Yes because it's not like big companies cant make stupid decisions and lose most of its value. We have a pharma company in germany which had a market cap at 150b, its at 30b mostly because of one bad aquisition.

Neofire

Oh my god....
w=500

Congratulations Sony. I will now buy Ghost of Tsishuma on my PC Day 1 and forgo replaying the Directors Cut on PS5.

Now, please go back and retroactively add this to other PS on PC games such as Rivet, Ratchet and Clank.
"Releasing a PC version helps the PS5"

Oh really 👀

BlackTron

It doesnt end with games with full trophy and dualsense support, there is nothing left. Like you said the effect won't come immediately but they think they are golden with this and all it means its just growth. This is gonna end up worse than ps3 for sony.

When the only way left to grow is to shrink. Nintendo will be poised to slay more than ever as the last ones actually guarding IP and a shrinking tech gap.

Fabieter

When the only way left to grow is to shrink. Nintendo will be poised to slay more than ever as the last ones actually guarding IP and a shrinking tech gap.

Nintendo had a really insane generation but with their competition outcompete themselve they are really in a good spot to even do better with the switch 2 and more and more third party support.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Yes because it's not like big companies cant make stupid decisions and lose most of its value. We have a pharma company in germany which had a market cap at 150b, its at 30b mostly because of one bad aquisition.

Modern consoles are basically PCs with a custom OS. I don’t see what there is to even be upset about. The appeal of consoles over a PC are price and ease of use. Those factors will always make consoles popular. Nobody who subs to PS+ to play Madden and CoD (aka the vast majority of their subs) is going to switch to PC because ghost of tsushima is on PC. Putting games on PC also guarantees they will always be out there in some form. If you wanna play MGS4 right now your options are sub HD on an old ass ps3 or emulating it. It’s objectively good for game preservation to get PC ports.

the-rock-motivation.gif

StereoVsn

Do some people here not understand the legit reason steam is so popular? Its because of decades of good will and user focused instead of publisher focused (like epic).. It has actual user reviews, that it encourages you to do. It has per game forums, and discussions, community hubs, and workshop for mods, guides sections, etc.... All that is missing in every other launcher besides steam (gog has the forums, guides and reviews too, but it's galaxy software has issues).

PC gamers trust valve and steam. They don't trust big pubs, like ea or ubisoft, or MS, and for good reason, all those companies delist games, they take down servers and stores, and don't give options. Steam eared trust, gamers know that once they bought the game its there.

Also most pc gamers don't want seperate launchers, they like steam and want everything to come through that. Publishers may not like it but if they want good sales, then thats the way to go.
Add on steam deck proton and linux support , that you won't get anywhere else, and it makes more incentive for games to be on steam.

That being said, an in game overlay is great! A seperate launcher like origins or ubisoft connect, epic, etc...hell no!
Yep, and let’s not forget VR, amazing controller support and allowing devs to resell keys for free on 3rd party marketplaces.

But yeah, it’s all about having a launcher and nothing else I am sure.

Generic

You even have to have a PlayStation account.

"To make use of features like Trophies, Friends list, and cross-play, you can sign in with your existing account for PlayStation Network or create a new account. The use of PlayStation overlay is optional for both the single player experience and Legends mode. "

episode 14 GIF
Jimmy Fallon Omg GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
mtv artists on tumblr GIF by G1ft3d
Wait, you need to connect a PlayStation account but there's no crossprogression? This... makes no sense.

ByWatterson

One step closer to every console being just an app. This "overlay" will be your console in 10 years, and you can take it to mobile, PC, TV, handhelds, cloud and it'll play on pretty much anything. You can guess what the implications are for physical media.

And there is no future where consoles decline in relevance, PC increases in relevance, and we don't get launchers for basically every 3rd party publisher. Kind of absurd for Sony to put in the work making a PC port and then giving Valve 30% for doing literally nothing. Sony has the capability to host the downloads and do all of that themselves.

All anyone needs is a program that displays your whole library across all stores. Really makes zero sense for Valve to make anything on Sony PC games, or really any large publisher. Smaller games and indies depend on other storefronts. Seems like the obvious future. Guess we'll see.

Steam right now is Netflix circa 2008. Only big game in town, everyone coming for them. Failures at first, but eventually real, impactful competition.

Launchers that make a dent are coming.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
As a lifelong playstation and pc fanboy. No one will buy a console over this.
Who said they would buy a console over this?
No one is gonna go buy Ghost of Tsushima on PC and use the Playstation features and go "oh I'm gonna buy a Playstation"
But after about 3 years of this and they are so use to it and want to play some games now instead of waiting 2/3 years...
Sylvester Stallone GIF by Warner Archive

I'm not saying a massive migrate of PC gamer's buying Playstations and throwing away their PC's
I'm talking about PC only gamers being more warmed up to the Idea of splashing out some cash to play some games now and some that will never come, like Bloodborne.
Whether they do or not, Sony still makes bank.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
If the Playstation Overlay overlap with those Steam features, it’ll be insane. Playing this game on an ultra-wide monitor, while earning both Playstation and Steam achievements. Sounds great

near

Gold Member
Who really wants this or needs this? What use are trophies to PC gamers? Only way this matters is if Sony completely integrates the PlayStation ecosystem into PC, which won’t happen because they want to sell the same game twice.

Topher

Gold Member
Who really wants this or needs this? What use are trophies to PC gamers? Only way this matters is if Sony completely integrates the PlayStation ecosystem into PC, which won’t happen because they want to sell the same game twice.

I want this. PS trophies are better than every other achievement system out there, by far. So for folks who enjoy earning trophies and also game on PC, it's a big deal.

near

Gold Member
I want this. PS trophies are better than every other achievement system out there, by far. So for folks who enjoy earning trophies and also game on PC, it's a big deal.
What does this change for you moving forward? Like, if you already play Sony games on a PS5 are you going to double dip when a game eventually releases on PC? Are you going to avoid buying the console version and wait for a possible PC release? If this becomes a regular thing for Sony PC releases, I don’t quite understand why it would be big deal. Though, I could see ways in this being more meaningful with full integration and cross-progression.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
What does this change for you moving forward? Like, if you already play Sony games on a PS5 are you going to double dip when a game eventually releases on PC? Are you going to avoid buying the console version and wait for a possible PC release? If this becomes a regular thing for Sony PC releases, I don’t quite understand why it would be big deal. Though, I could see ways in this being more meaningful with full integration and cross-progression.

I'm not sure yet. I've been considering only gaming on PC for a while now as that is where most of my gaming occurs so very well could be that I let go of PlayStation consoles. I'm hopeful this extends beyond just first party games, but I'm going to wait a bit and see how all this hashes out. So far we are only talking about one game.

Fredrik

Certainly seems Sony is ramping up support on PC 🫢 Helldivers 2, Until Dawn, Forbidden West, this game this year alone. And PSVR2

Hopefully Gran Turismo, Spider-Man 2, and God of War Ragnarok isn’t too far behind now
I want Demon’s Souls too. After that I can unplug my console.

I’m not sure what Sony’s plan is here. I thought they would do a launcher. Not make an overlay for Steam.
Are they trying to make it easier for Playstation fans to move over to PC and feel at home using Steam?

Top Bottom