• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima -The Ghost | PS4

SLB1904

Banned
RIP Hellblade 2
200.gif

mortal

Looks like they wanted to make a Akira Kurosawa movie but made a wuxia movie instead without realising. Looks kind of cool but stylistically it's totally off.
I disagree. If anything they seem to be drawing inspiration from multiples sources for this game.

nowhat

Gold Member
Great graphics with bold colours.
Hmm, that's actually interesting. The classic Kurosawa movies are black and white, so there's no telling what the actual colors are. "Ran" (1985), at the time of filming the most expensive Japanese movie ever (no CGI at the time, there are a fuckton of extras with full armour) has (what I'm assuming is an intentional artistic choice) very muted colors. It's an absolute masterpiece though and you should watch it if you haven't.

But were samurais... "fabulous", for lack of a better term, back in the day? Out of historical curiosity, when it comes to the game just give me retina-melting HDR thankyouverymuch.

exactly i love beautiful art. im not too kin on realistic art styles unless its a simulator.
and also thats why i got this game
hpj.gif
It boggles my mind that this game is still not remastered for the PS4 and maybe Switch (and at this point, it might as well be remastered for the PS5, too). We got Dragon's Crown Pro and Odin Sphere Leifthrasir. Vanillaware better be working on remastering Muramasa Rebirth after 13 Sentinels.

SLB1904

Banned
It boggles my mind that this game is still not remastered for the PS4 and maybe Switch (and at this point, it might as well be remastered for the PS5, too). We got Dragon's Crown Pro and Odin Sphere Leifthrasir. Vanillaware better be working on remastering Muramasa Rebirth after 13 Sentinels.
tell me about it, and why we are not getting more games like that

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'm sick of Naughty Dog's pedastal, and I think God of War and Ghost of Tsushima are going to be far, far better.

Naughty Dog makes minimalist gameplay, and their excuse is always "realism." It's harder to make an actually compelling fantasy gameplay loop with an in depth combat system with upgrading moves. And even on top of the superior gameplay seen from SP and SSM, I think the stories and acting are also better.

Naughty Dog should try making something besides a cinematic TPS. Maybe think of a fun gameplay loop and do something with some fantasy for once. They are obviously a great studio, but I think they're overrated. I think SP and SSM deserve FAR more praise. They are making better games. If ND decides to make a cool sci-fi game, then sure I'm all in.

Kinda unfair as what SSD and SP are focusing solely upon making a single-player campaign, whereas ND have traditionally always packaged in a competitive multiplayer mode. UC4's multiplayer was really good, and their previous releases including TLOU all have their fans of these modes.

Feel free to like or dislike what you want, but honestly, if you can't recognize the quality of something like TLOU (particularly the dialogue and performances) as being at the highest level within the industry, you're not as astute a judge as you think you are.

Gamernyc78

Banned
The little bit of gameplay from 3:51 to 3:57 doesn't look that hot to me, plenty of aliasing and pop-in. So is this like a Souls style game?, i havent been following it.

Figures you would say tht lol 🤦‍♂️ but Crackdown 3 was awesome right? 🤔

😂😂😂😂

On tht note besides what we've seen of the last of us this is the best looking game I've seen yet. Shit looks crazy.

Last edited:

PUNKem733

People worried about next gen graphics, but you have stuff like this, and TLOU 2 possible with 1.84 TF and a toaster oven CPU.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Figures you would say tht lol 🤦‍♂️ but Crackdown 3 was awesome right? 🤔

😂😂😂😂

On tht note besides what we've seen of the last of us this is the best looking game I've seen yet. Shit looks crazy.
Crackdown 3 is a piece of shit. Dont start console warring because someone dared to say something against this game, especially when i'm a PC gamer who doesnt even own a bloody console ffs. Ghosts looks great overall, just that little bit stood out thats all

GooseMan69

Another boring sony first party, story heavy walking simulator. I bet this will be just like sekiro, but with bad gameplay and prettier graphics.

It seems like opposing fanboys say this about every Sony game, regardless of what they show or what the game is actually about. It’s a shitty talking point that doesn’t even make sense.

Aion002

Hmm, that's actually interesting. The classic Kurosawa movies are black and white, so there's no telling what the actual colors are. "Ran" (1985), at the time of filming the most expensive Japanese movie ever (no CGI at the time, there are a fuckton of extras with full armour) has (what I'm assuming is an intentional artistic choice) very muted colors. It's an absolute masterpiece though and you should watch it if you haven't.

But were samurais... "fabulous", for lack of a better term, back in the day? Out of historical curiosity, when it comes to the game just give me retina-melting HDR thankyouverymuch.

If you go by old japanese art....
6832096e2916b3bf925700d3bab94362.jpg
59e128ba325a9_59e1252fd9533_1107506899.jpg

Yeah... they were.

Keihart

Suckerpunch disappeared for the whole gen, i hope this is good. I want them to sell us on the gameplay, we have seen very little. The first demo was like a tutorial level, even death stranding had more gameplay showed before release.

Or maybe this is it and there is not much more to it, which would be disappointment.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Suckerpunch disappeared for the whole gen, i hope this is good. I want them to sell us on the gameplay, we have seen very little. The first demo was like a tutorial level, even death stranding had more gameplay showed before release.

Or maybe this is it and there is not much more to it, which would be disappointment.

It’s still not due out until next summer the earliest.

They will show more closer to that time as well as the trade shows.

Vawn

Banned
The little bit of gameplay from 3:51 to 3:57 doesn't look that hot to me, plenty of aliasing and pop-in. So is this like a Souls style game?, i havent been following it.

Really? YOU don't think this PlayStation exclusive looks that good? I'm shocked!

The game looks amazing.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I want to see Ghost Tsushima have smooth movement that Suckerpunch are known for in their games.

GymWolf

Gold Member
How many years was the game in development?! 6 years or more??

Is this the sony game with most time in the oven ever?

Last edited:

CAB_Life

Is there magic/ mysticism in this game? I have yet to see any. Not a dealbreaker, though I prefer some razzle-dazzle and hocus pocus.

nowhat

Gold Member
Not developed by Sony—but published, internationally?—but honorable mention goes to Nioh. That was a decade or so, wasn’t it?
"The Last Guardian is an action-adventure game developed by SIE Japan Studio and published by Sony Interactive Entertainment"
So yes, it was developed by Sony.

CAB_Life

"The Last Guardian is an action-adventure game developed by SIE Japan Studio and published by Sony Interactive Entertainment"
So yes, it was developed by Sony.

“Honorable mention goes to Nioh”. I wasn’t contesting Last Guardian.

CAB_Life

But you said that it wasn't developed by Sony, which it is.

No, that’s not how the sentence works. It was an abbreviated diction of a splinter-thought. I didn’t say “The Last Guardian wasn’t developed by Sony.“ In less cursory English I could’ve said: “While not developed by Sony, an honorable mention goes to Nioh”. I was expounding on your current line of thought, not looking to correct it. Hope that clears things up.

P.S. I would add “While” but I can no longer edit the original post.

Last edited:

nowhat

Gold Member
No, that’s not how the sentence works. It was an abbreviated diction of a splinter-thought. I didn’t say “The Last Guardian wasn’t developed by Sony.“ In less cursory English I could’ve said: “While not developed by Sony, an honorable mention goes to Nioh”. I was expounding on your current line of thought, not looking to correct it. Hope that clears things up.
Right. I may have not had enough coffee yet, my English parser isn't running at 100%, apologies.

CAB_Life

Right. I may have not had enough coffee yet, my English parser isn't running at 100%, apologies.

On a side-note, having dipped a toe into the piraña-waters of Resetera, I find it interesting/amusing/ refreshing how you can have a polite exchange here—working through a dialog or debate—without things hastily devolving into bans, name-calling or stonewalling.

nowhat

Gold Member
On a side-note, having dipped a toe into the piraña-waters of Resetera, I find it interesting/amusing/ refreshing how you can have a polite exchange here—working through a dialog or debate—without things hastily devolving into bans, name-calling or stonewalling.
Yeah, people are generally quite civil, which is nice.

Just try to avoid the most obvious platform wars threads. And the entire politics forum :)

Top Bottom