• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire Official Teaser Trailer

ManaByte

Gold Member
ghostbusters_frozen_empire_paul_rudd_carrie_coon-1000x667.webp

Ghostbusters Afterlife was a massive disappointment. Well not as bad as the 2016 movie, it was a complete bore and not funny at all. On top, they just brought back the villain from the first movie.

At least this new movie is going to take place in New York City again and has a new villain so I have some hope that it will be better than Afterlife.

Edit: I forgot I already posted my thoughts on Afterlife earlier in this thread.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Meh, nothing is ever going to touch the first one and this seems like more memberberries but it still looks fun.

Power Pro

I didn't know this was out so soon. Looks promising, but still not a whole lot of humor on display. Who knows.

The last movie, I took all my brothers, their families and my parents to go see it cuz I was excited. Don't think I'll be able to do it this time since my dad's in a nursing home with vascular dementia :(

Billbofet

This looks like everything I dislike about reboots and lega-sequels.
Glad some are looking forward to this, though. Just too much of what I hated from the last one for me (shallow memberberries).

Power Pro

This looks like everything I dislike about reboots and lega-sequels.
Glad some are looking forward to this, though. Just too much of what I hated from the last one for me (shallow memberberries).
I guess I'm hopeful because at least they're not rehashing the plot and reusing the same villain of the first movie this time.

Papa_Wisdom

They saved the world but no eye witnesses (as said in the trailer)

Apart from the thousands of people that saw the stay puff marshmallow man walk through New York.

Then the Statue of Liberty.

The massive ghost under the arch.

The titanic arriving

The huge stream of ghostly shit from when the containment unit was shut down

A huge river of slime literally running under New York.

Plus all the cameras and subsequent shows/ documentaries etc that would have gone into such events following them.

Need I go on...

I can suspend my disbelief and really want to enjoy these (I’m a MASSIVE Ghostbusters fan) but I dunno there just seems to be such a massive disconnect between what happened then to now, no one remembers, it was all fake etc I’m struggling with this. Afterlife was ok for the memberberries, this one looks “ok” too. But let’s just say it as it is, if these didn’t have the og squad in them and references to the og movies (Janine on the phone: Ghostbusters what do ya want etc) they would just be terrible.

Plus no rick morranis (I understand why but still a shame)

When slimed went through the kid at the end of the new trailer I was fully expecting “he slimed me” Peter quip from the hotel from the first movie.

Still going to watch it though.

Last edited:

Doom85

They saved the world but no eye witnesses (as said in the trailer)

Apart from the thousands of people that saw the stay puff marshmallow man walk through New York.

Then the Statue of Liberty.

The massive ghost under the arch.

The titanic arriving

The huge stream of ghostly shit from when the containment unit was shut down

A huge river of slime literally running under New York.

Plus all the cameras and subsequent shows/ documentaries etc that would have gone into such events following them.

Need I go on...

I can suspend my disbelief and really want to enjoy these (I’m a MASSIVE Ghostbusters fan) but I dunno there just seems to be such a massive disconnect between what happened then to now, no one remembers, it was all fake etc I’m struggling with this. Afterlife was ok for the memberberries, this one looks “ok” too. But let’s just say it as it is, if these didn’t have the og squad in them and references to the og movies (Janine on the phone: Ghostbusters what do ya want etc) they would just be terrible.

Plus no rick morranis (I understand why but still a shame)

When slimed went through the kid at the end of the new trailer I was fully expecting “he slimed me” Peter quip from the hotel from the first movie.

Still going to watch it though.

You forgetting Ghostbusters 2 pulled this same shit?

Mayor - “yes people, these scientists whose budget was so tight that they had their headquarters in a building that looks like it should be condemned, somehow afforded to create a centralized thunderstorm over exactly one building, cause an earthquake, cause mass hallucinations to tons of New Yorkers in seeing ghosts, and create a skyscraper-sized robot resembling the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man and somehow retrieve every single robotic part after it was destroyed. They are nothing but frauds!”
Every single person in New York apparently - “seems legit! No further questions!”

VulcanRaven

Trailers look great. My only issue are the kid Ghostbusters. Why would the teacher and mom let them do that? I do like the characters.

Last edited:

Papa_Wisdom

You forgetting Ghostbusters 2 pulled this same shit?

Mayor - “yes people, these scientists whose budget was so tight that they had their headquarters in a building that looks like it should be condemned, somehow afforded to create a centralized thunderstorm over exactly one building, cause an earthquake, cause mass hallucinations to tons of New Yorkers in seeing ghosts, and create a skyscraper-sized robot resembling the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man and somehow retrieve every single robotic part after it was destroyed. They are nothing but frauds!”
Every single person in New York apparently - “seems legit! No further questions!”
Lol yeah I get that, that part of it never made much sense to me either. I always put that down to more of a concerted effort to discredit them (after all they were sued into oblivion by the state of New York with the courts forbidding them to carry on been ghostbuster it work in the paranormal field). It doesn’t work as you mentioned due to what actually happened and the fact there’s no way they could have faked it. Like I said I’m happy to suspend my disbelief for the sake of the story, potential plot holes which would unravel the whole thing.

All I’m trying to say is that I was like 5 during the first movies event, now as a 40 year old there trying to say that NO ONE remembers the events of then, no further studies have taken place, no independent in-depth scientific Research has been done (with it without the ghostbusters themselves), no books have been written about it, no documentaries, shows made.

Something like that would have changed the world in its entirety, religions would have changed, some questions to the question of why were here and what purposes expanded upon and theorised, that shit would have been taught in school as part of religious studies, entire degrees would have been created in universities to further studies based on it. But instead it’s like, the world has been memory wiped into forgetting that actually took place.

I digress, your point is valid. I just don’t know if I can take that big a leap of belief suspension.

As mentioned I will watch even if it’s just for the nostalgia.

Wait, I thought i saw somewhere the new movie is related to the cartoon show somehow? Is that true? As a 90’s kid, that is a nice tie in.

ElRenoRaven

Looks great to me. I liked the last sequel even though I had been skeptical of it so I'm going into this one with faith off the bat.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
What happened to Bill Murray? He's 73 but looks 93.

He looks like he could pass as Dan Aykroyd's father!

Power Pro

This is not a mash up I expected to see, lol. I still can't decide if I actually like Atarashii Gakko or not...I think I do, but not enough to add their songs in my spotify

After seeing the trailer, I have no excitement for this at all. I really wanted to like the 2016 Paul Feig movie, saw it in the cinema. Gave it a chance. But the movie felt like a mess. I was fine with the female cast. To be honest, I think I like it more than Afterlife, in retrospect.

The trailers for Frozen leave me with almost nothing to say. It's just a whole bunch of 'whatever' special effects shots, a few moments with the 'legacy' Ghostbuster actors and nothing memorable that sticks out in my head at all.

The Ghostbusters franchise has always been a mess to me, anyway. The first movie will always be a sci-fi comedy classic. The second movie will always suffer from 80's sequelitus. Too much of a repeat of the first movie, feels more watered down overall. It has a few moments where it is great. But doesn't live up to the originals. I ended up getting more enjoyment out of the Real Ghostbusters cartoon series, as well as the later Ghostbusters Extreme.

Krathoon

The trailers kind of show too much. There is a particular style to the Ghostbusters ghosts. They always have weird proportions.

ManaByte

Gold Member
The trailers kind of show too much. There is a particular style to the Ghostbusters ghosts. They always have weird proportions.

People who saw the movie at the premiere say a lot of the trailers were of footage and lines not in the movie. They liked it though, compared it to a live action version of a Real Ghostbusters episode.

VulcanRaven

People who saw the movie at the premiere say a lot of the trailers were of footage and lines not in the movie. They liked it though, compared it to a live action version of a Real Ghostbusters episode.
I wish we could get a movie like the Extreme Ghostbusters cartoon. That was the first GB related thing I saw. I liked how scary it was.

There are many new cast interviews on Youtube.

Last edited:

The Skull

I expect, even if it's a good movie, the normal suspects will bring up the 2016 film and find somehow to bring trump into it just like Afterlife.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Those who complained about the Statue of Liberty walking not being mentioned in Afterlife will like this one since it's set in NYC again. They show it in a news clip and reference the Statue of Liberty "debacle" of 1989.

The OGs are in it a lot, but Ray gets the most screen time.

They had to go and make Pheobe gay, of course.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Those who complained about the Statue of Liberty walking not being mentioned in Afterlife will like this one since it's set in NYC again. They show it in a news clip and reference the Statue of Liberty "debacle" of 1989.

The OGs are in it a lot, but Ray gets the most screen time.

They had to go and make Pheobe gay, of course.
Ugh. Is she still a kid in this? Do we need a SECOND teen romance plotline?

Wonder if they at least spitballed the idea of the revamping the floating ghost in bed idea with a lot of "I don't consent!" antics.

Damn, the og film was such a treasure :p

The Skull

Reviews seem a bit over the place. Some say too much nostalgia, others say it does more new stuff rather than rely on nostalgia to carry it. Seeing it Saturday.

jason10mm

Gold Member
But does it have lots of cool new ghosts? My kid wants to see this and all he remembers about Afterlife was the rivet spitting ghost. Seeing the OG crew stagger around it's really what I want beyond maybe 1 scene where they train the new crew or something, I want novel ghost fightin' action and a bit of humor.

Top Bottom