• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[GI.Biz | Opinion] How long can Microsoft float on goodwill?

GHG

Well then, I guess you don't like me :(. The Infinite campaign was my GOTY for 2021 (though I didn't vote for it here).

i'm out game of thrones GIF by Amanda'm out game of thrones GIF by Amanda

It's fine, at least you're better than those guys who tried to tell everyone stuff like bleeding edge and crackdown 3 were good.

oj punctuel looks away GIF by Efteling

Kvally

Banned
It's fine, at least you're better than those guys who tried to tell everyone stuff like bleeding edge and crackdown 3 were good.

oj punctuel looks away GIF by Efteling
Bleeding Edge was is the bottom of the barrel. However, I recommend you don't look at my CD3 achievement list.....I admit that CD3 and Saints Row 2022 were dumpster fire developed games, but I did have mindless fun playing them. Do I regret enjoying them? Yes 😎

Going by the sales charts in their strongest territory, they're barely floating on any goodwill outside of console war forums and Twitter, and media outlets trying to feign neutrality.

Every year the same conversation of "Xbox needs to deliver", every year they fail to do it, and every year the standard drops.

I'm just going to say it: The fact that Hi-Fi Rush is currently the greatest triumph of the console says a lot. It might be a good enough game. But there's a segment of people acting like it's God's gift to gaming. Early 2000s nostalgia-bait isn't new and has been done better, cel-shading isn't new and has been done better, and basic 3d-platforming and early 2000s combat is not an innovation.

All it took was a bit of viral marketing, and all of the rest is forgotten.

It does seem like people are overhyping the game for what it is, but at the same time it looks like a quality game and some of the kind of variety Xbox needs on the 1P front. Hell I wouldn't mind seeing Sony pull out of some their legacy IP and give them some AA-type love, 1P or 3P-developed. Would be a great balance of variety between the GOWs, Horizons, GoTs, Spidermans, TLOUs etc.

Which I guess ultimately points to MS's bigger problem; on the AAA front they don't have much of anything which is mass-market appealing to core gamers or the mainstream. Doing stealth drops with quality games like Hi-Fi Rush is pretty neat in ways to spike interest (though I can see how it's also potentially problematic, i.e you kind of need to stay subscribed or you might miss out on a new release...though it's a fair strategy for retaining subs and if you don't have FOMO you can wait to later to play it because MS doesn't take their own games out of the service on rotation), but they still need the bigger AAA exclusives with mass-market appeal, and consistently, to really prop the brand up long-term.

And going by RedFall's presentation so far, plus word Starfield's still in a really rough state (supposedly)...it's going to be a long time before Microsoft seems to get to that point, TBH.

Microsoft is much less reliant on console sales compared to Nintendo and Sony.

You can play their library on pc. And you gamepass on both PC, mobike, and the Xbox one and one x for streaming next gen games.

So how is that working out for them when software and subscription revenue are both down by double digits?

I have a gaming pc, but still think about buying an Xbox down the line to use in my bedroom to continue the games I play on pc, and to be third party console games that's not on pc.

Apparently there aren't a lot of people with your mindset, at least not right now, otherwise hardware sales would be at least a bit stronger. Particularly for the S, since it would perfectly service the scenario you bring up.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
If you think HI-FI rush is changing the position xbox is in, i don't know what to tell you.

I'm not saying it's a bad game or alot of people can't enjoy it, but these type of games are not gonna be making the wider impact xbox need.

What do you care about Xbox ‘changing the position’?
People who own Xbox consoles have had an excellent game dropped less than 48 hours ago. Why does a consumer have to care about whether a game is a ‘system seller’ instead of just whether the game is quality and fun to play?

It’s a really silly article.

Kacho

They're at the end of the line as they continue to lose players to PlayStation and PC. Everything is riding on Starfield, Fable, Perfect Dark, Avowed and Hellblade 2. If those games fail to deliver its over.

Kvally

Banned
People who own Xbox consoles have had an excellent game dropped less than 48 hours ago. Why does a consumer have to care about whether a game is a ‘system seller’ instead of just whether the game is quality and fun to play?

The fact that the game shadow dropped I am enjoying the shit out of it means I win. Not sure why people that game don't have a gaming priority.

sainraja

Yeh but one problem, if it was actually "everyone" then that would be reflected in their quarterly results. What a shame.

It's funny that some of you want to suddenly act like you're some omniscient beings when it comes to gaming when in fact all you've done is back yourselves into the most limiting corner of the market. Please excuse me if I don't take the opinions of those who voted Halo Infinite as GOTY seriously.
People who have double-standards based on what console a game is on are the oddest of all the people I have seen posting here. I feel like they can sometimes be worse then those who some of us might simply label as 'fanboys'. But what can ya do!

It does seem like people are overhyping the game for what it is, but at the same time it looks like a quality game and some of the kind of variety Xbox needs on the 1P front. Hell I wouldn't mind seeing Sony pull out of some their legacy IP and give them some AA-type love, 1P or 3P-developed. Would be a great balance of variety between the GOWs, Horizons, GoTs, Spidermans, TLOUs etc.

Which I guess ultimately points to MS's bigger problem; on the AAA front they don't have much of anything which is mass-market appealing to core gamers or the mainstream. Doing stealth drops with quality games like Hi-Fi Rush is pretty neat in ways to spike interest (though I can see how it's also potentially problematic, i.e you kind of need to stay subscribed or you might miss out on a new release...though it's a fair strategy for retaining subs and if you don't have FOMO you can wait to later to play it because MS doesn't take their own games out of the service on rotation), but they still need the bigger AAA exclusives with mass-market appeal, and consistently, to really prop the brand up long-term.

And going by RedFall's presentation so far, plus word Starfield's still in a really rough state (supposedly)...it's going to be a long time before Microsoft seems to get to that point, TBH.
I think RedFall looks pretty interesting after the recent presentation and it's by Arkane.

I’ve been saying in the other thread, Hifi rush is a decent game but the amount of praise it’s getting is ridiculous. It’s pretty standard.

This feels like its gonna be the Hitman 3 of 2023. When that came out it got a lot of praise and people calling it an early GOTY contender and when award season came around everyone completely forgot about it and 2021 was a much weaker year overall than 2023 is gonna be.

this game can’t even win in the indie type awards (since its not an indie), much less against the big boys

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT

Hi-Fi Rush gets a 98% positive rating on Steam, with extremely positive reviews.

You: “xbox console gamers are overhyping the title”

How does this make sense to you?

Which I guess ultimately points to MS's bigger problem; on the AAA front they don't have much of anything which is mass-market appealing to core gamers or the mainstream.

Apparently Starfield has no mass market appeal and does not appeal to core gamers.

You certainly do consistently come up with some strange takes as you seek to downplay anything Xbox.

Last edited:
Having smaller, quality games is better than having mostly nothing. 2023 doesn't look amazing for Xbox, but it looks good enough for me to turn it on occasionally. A lot is riding on Starfield as the stand out title for them, but I am honestly not convinced it's going to do as well as they possibly want based on what we've seen.

They just need to continue building on the momentum of 2023 and get better rather than constantly being one step forward, two steps back.

Last edited:

sainraja

Well, that is the subject of the article, that is being discussed in a thread about it?

The fact that the game shadow dropped I am enjoying the shit out of it means I win. Not sure why people that game don't have a gaming priority.
Yeah, people do seem to forget that. They need "reasons" to prefer what they like, while downplaying what they don't like. Like, dude, if you take issue with others doing it about your favorite game, why do I see you doing the same thing in another thread about another game? lol

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
This feels like its gonna be the Hitman 3 of 2023. When that came out it got a lot of praise and people calling it an early GOTY contender and when award season came around everyone completely forgot about it and 2021 was a much weaker year overall than 2023 is gonna be.

this game can’t even win in the indie type awards (since its not an indie), much less against the big boys
I disagree. The game is going to be on many top 10 lists

Ozriel

M$FT
Well, that is the subject of the article, that is being discussed in a thread about it?

Is it? “How long can MS float on Goodwill”.

Seems to me this concerns people who’ve actually bought the consoles and want quality games to play.

j.k.2021

Banned

Award shows are popularity contest anyway restricted by games played by voters which are mostly popular titles.

Where did pentiment show up on peoples top ten lists?....Pretty damn high....I think higher than Horizon Forbidden West on almost all of them.

Yes, Pentiment with dat sweet 1% completion rate. Whooo!!

I mean there is an Xbox Ambassador on Twitter right now championing Hi-Fi Rush but when asked if they've actually played it? You know, the thing people tend to do when it comes to video games? Guess what her answer was? Just guess...

And that's a recurring problem with some of the people who praise these Xbox exclusives in particular online, or put them in their GOTY or Top 10 lists or whatever. Many of them barely play these games, so what's the personal experience they've had to validate why they feel these games are worth the high praise?

Last edited:
Hi-Fi Rush gets a 98% positive rating on Steam, with extremely positive reviews.

Apparently Starfield has no mass market appeal and does not appeal to core gamers.

You certainly do consistently come up with some strange takes as you seek to downplay anything Xbox.

Lots of “era icons” making dumpster tier posts in this thread. Must be a slow day there.

all this praise of Hifi rush is just overcompensation for you know what.Plus people equating the game existing thanks to Game Pass are just misinformed (just like the opposite force).

MS is going to have a hard time ahead. it will be entertaining.

I disagree. The game is going to be on many top 10 lists

He didn't really say anything about to 10 lists, but GOTY candidates. I'm sure it will be, it's got that niche appeal. But it'll never be a serious GOTY title in comparison to the likes of Zelda, RE4 Remake, Final Fantasy 16, Spider-Man 2, Starifield. It's pretty obvious that this year the GOTY list will be dominated by those names.

It doesn't need to be, and that's ok!

Last edited:

sainraja

Is it? “How long can MS float on Goodwill”.

Seems to me this concerns people who’ve actually bought the consoles and want quality games to play.
You said silly article in response to someone stating what could/could not change the position of Xbox, the position established by the article, what you were calling silly. I was just pointing out the obvious, which was....that well, we are in a thread about it, no?

He didn't really say anything about to 10 lists, but GOTY candidates. I'm sure it will be, it's got that niche appeal. But it'll never be a serious GOTY title in comparison to the likes of Zelda, RE4 Remake, Final Fantasy 16, Spider-Man 2, Starifield. It's pretty obvious that this year the GOTY list will be dominated by those names.

And we don’t even know what may come out and dominate conversation again That hasn’t been announced yet

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Xbox ambassador… yikes
fk7symo.jpg
One stupid person. GOTY in 2022 from my experience was mostly Xbox players who had played way more variety of games that year and PS gamers who hadn't even heard of most of them. That's not a dig. Thats just what happened.

Many people trashing High on Life and Pentiment never touched it. More people have played PS exclusives and have a more informed opinion of them. The issue is often people who haven't tried Xbox but still criticizing

Last edited:

Kvally

Banned
But it'll never be a serious GOTY title in comparison to the likes of Zelda, RE4 Remake, Final Fantasy 16, Spider-Man 2, Starifield. It's pretty obvious that this year the GOTY list will be dominated by those names.
And that is unfortunate. It seems it comes down to more of a popularity contest and if hundreds of millions were spent making the game vs. 10s of millions. Same goes for racing games. While the contenders last year were solid nominees and winners for GOTY, I played a few games that were better in my experience and cost much less to make.

Which leads me back to game forums like this. I look at and read what my peers are playing and enjoying and go from there. GOTY never sways my decisions on games.

but stray was

Havoc2049

While the Xbox division was - 13% for 2022, I'm predicting they will be +20% for 2023. Last year was bleak for releases, but this year looks WAY better. This article was just written and already seems a little tone deaf and dated.

Last edited:

vj27

Banned
Don’t forget Grounded 1.012
Grounded did big numbers actually. It’s easily the most successful out of all the “MS passion projects” but people here aren’t gonna give grounded it’s flowers for the same reason (I think) they didn’t give sea of thieves as well. Games fucking amazing and surprisingly terrifying and it ended up being successful. Idk if HI-FI rush can beat it tbh.

One stupid person. GOTY in 2022 from my experience was mostly Xbox players who had played way more variety of games that year and PS gamers who hadn't even heard of most of them. That's not a dig. Thats just what happened.

What exactly do you mean by this?

GOTY in 2022 was mostly Elden Ring, followed by God of War.

I don't think PS was lacking any variety either.

And that is unfortunate. It seems it comes down to more of a popularity contest and if hundreds of millions were spent making the game vs. 10s of millions. Same goes for racing games. While the contenders last year were solid nominees and winners for GOTY, I played a few games that were better in my experience and cost much less to make.

Which leads me back to game forums like this. I look at and read what my peers are playing and enjoying and go from there. GOTY never sways my decisions on games.

Well it depends on what you mean by unfortunate. I am just speaking the truth that the biggest budget games with the biggest known IPs are the GOTY candidates, generally. New IPs can do it, but they need blockbuster type productions like Elden Ring (which is hard to say is fully a new IP since it's so similar to Souls games).

That's not to say someone's personal GOTY couldn't easily be one of these smaller titles. But if I'm being completely honest, something like Elden Ring or GOWR are going to be way better to me than some cool indie game, despite me REALLY enjoying that cool indie game.

but stray was

Well TBH Stray was weird. I'm not sure WHY it got that title at the Game Awards. Cool title, but I wouldn't have put it on the list. Maybe 2022 was not as AAA heavy as prior years.

It's mostly Xbox people, Ambassadors, content creators etc. on Twitter I've seen really pushing the game hard. That's why my comment was focused on them. Steam is its own space, nothing really to do with Xbox or Game Pass. I do think it be a sudden release and having a visual style not commonly seen these days has helped it with the Steam reviews though, even on top of it being a generally fun & solid game.

But when it comes to saying it's a GOTY contender or stuff like that, I feel that's too soon. The game JUST came out. Let's see how well it holds up in repeated playthroughs, what depth the game mechanics have, what secrets can be unlocked or how well it holds up in repeated playthroughs before saying it's a GOTY contender. Or what influence it may have on other games, before saying that. Or even if it'll remain the best-looking game of its visual style by the end of the year, stuff like that.

I'd play it right now myself but I don't want PC Game Pass messing around with my SSD when I would feel like removing the game, and the Steam version has Denuvo. I don't want that on a system. So MS please bring the game to GOG in the near future (or I'll be forced to borrow a family member's Series S).

I actually was really impressed with Hi-Fi Rush's reveal though; if I were as you say I am, I'd be trashing the game. Quite the opposite.

As for Starfield, look that's not the only big space game/RPG coming out this year. I'm not saying it doesn't have mass-market appeal but all the same, we know very little about the story, and it's going to be releasing in the same year as Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, Final Fantasy XVI, Street Fighter 6, RE4 Remake, Spiderman 2...you catch my drift? How much mass-market appeal does Starfield really have in comparison to THOSE games?

Some people are going to have multiple systems, and prioritize where they spend. Everyone has to budget the amount of time they put to any game. Starfield is not releasing in a vacuum, and then there's the question of what is the wider marketing going to look like. Said it before, if MS/Bethesda were smart they'd do an ad campaign inspired by A Space Odyssey/Interstellar/Arrival or those sorts of hard sci-fi space dramas, maybe get someone like George Clooney to act in them, and have him exploring worlds from Starfield.

But I don't count on MS having that kind of creative eye for marketing or messaging, so they're probably going to have more generic ads and push Game Pass Day 1 super-hard to sell the game.

Punished Miku

Gold Member

Well it depends on what you mean by unfortunate. I am just speaking the truth that the biggest budget games with the biggest known IPs are the GOTY candidates, generally. New IPs can do it, but they need blockbuster type productions like Elden Ring (which is hard to say is fully a new IP since it's so similar to Souls games).

That's not to say someone's personal GOTY couldn't easily be one of these smaller titles. But if I'm being completely honest, something like Elden Ring or GOWR are going to be way better to me than some cool indie game, despite me REALLY enjoying that cool indie game.

Well TBH Stray was weird. I'm not sure WHY it got that title at the Game Awards. Cool title, but I wouldn't have put it on the list. Maybe 2022 was not as AAA heavy as prior years.
I mean exactly what I said. From what I can tell Xbox gamers on average played a much wider variety of games than PS gamers. Two people in here claimed its a rampant problem that Xbox gamers don't play Hi Fi Rush but its just 1 dumb tweet. My observations were very very clearly the opposite. Some of the GOTY votes on here were embarrassing

Last edited:

Kvally

Banned

I was just saying that in my opinion, it's unfortunate that it comes down to biggest budgets and blockbuster type productions. I don't think games like Halo or God of War or Elden Ring should be "what we expect to be GOTY" because they are big budgets and popular IPs. I know I am in the minority, and I am fine with that. I am not here to preach what SHOULD be GOTY material. Just voicing my opinion that there are alternatives to what we have now.

Grounded did big numbers actually. It’s easily the most successful out of all the “MS passion projects” but people here aren’t gonna give grounded it’s flowers for the same reason (I think) they didn’t give sea of thieves as well. Games fucking amazing and surprisingly terrifying and it ended up being successful. Idk if HI-FI rush can beat it tbh.

People aren’t going to say Grounded is a contender for GOTY 2022 because its been out for 3 years

I mean exactly what I said. From what I can tell Xbox gamers on average played a much wider variety of games than PS gamers. Two people in here claimed its a rampant problem that Xbox gamers don't play Hi Fi Rush but its just 1 dumb tweet. My observations were very very clearly the opposite. Some of the GOTY votes on here were embarrassing

Where is your DATA to back up this made up assertion?

I think it just boils down to if you had an Xbox in 2022 you were kind of forced to play less known games that were just not as popular as other games. Not that those less popular games had more variety or anything.

I mean exactly what I said. From what I can tell Xbox gamers on average played a much wider variety of games than PS gamers. Two people in here claimed its a rampant problem that Xbox gamers don't play Hi Fi Rush but its just 1 dumb tweet. My observations were very very clearly the opposite. Some of the GOTY votes on here were emb

So you're trying to say GOWR and HFW are the same kind of game? Even though they aren't? Let alone Returnal, R&C Rift Apart, Demon's Souls Remake, Astro's Playroom, Sackboy's Big Adventure, Kena, Sifu, Stray, GT7 etc. These games are apparently all the same? Because there are PS owners who have played all of those games and more. Statistically speaking, given there are more PS owners than Xbox owners, then there should be more PS gamers playing a large variety of games than Xbox owners.

Also, trying out a game in Game Pass and actually playing it (you know, getting in deep with it, completing it, etc.) are two different things.

Top Bottom