• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Central: Microsoft CVP and key Xbox innovator Kareem Choudhry is leaving after 26 years at the firm. Major changes coming to brand

Topher

Gold Member
Ybarra is curious and an example of what I were saying. A majority opinion was that he was Blizard's main problem and that under him everything was worse and with continuous controversy with employees. He, was suddenly, considered a fundamental piece and his departure was a mistake.🤔

Some folks saying he did a poor job at Blizzard are not necessarily the same people saying his departure at Microsoft is mistake. For example, I've never had a opinion on Ybarra at Blizzard, postiive or negative. Outside of Diablo 4, Blizzard hasn't really been in my gaming circle for a long time. My recent opinion of him is based on conversations with HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 alone. If you have discussed with specific people and noticed some "suddenly" change their tune then yeah, I get it. That ain't me though.

Speaking of the possibility of a Xbox Handlhed/XBOX OS and a XBOX hardware more open..... So I think that, for that possibility, the feeling should be that with Roanne Soane it is closer. Then how it is executed or if it is successful, time will tell.

Hope so. I think that could be a change in direction that could help get some mindshare back focused on Xbox.

onQ123

Yes. that guy was in fact the only person employed in R&D at Xbox

The Rock Eye Roll GIF by WWE
Jason Ronald was also replaced by the Surface team

Punished Miku

Gold Member
One thing I have to ask again:
How the fuck do Matt Bootylicious and Aaron Greenberg still have jobs? Both of them are actually incompetent at their jobs and make their entire organization worse.

The wrong people are leaving/getting let go
Greenberg's mastery of psychological influence is unmatched in the marketing space. He was able to practically enslave TimDog for 20 years for the price of a few free dinners and a couple pairs of socks. If he ever moves on from Xbox he'll probably get scooped up by the CIA, or a prominent political campaign.

Klayzer

Welcome to GAF, where it's impossible to win!

Scenario 1:
GAF: Xbox needs leadership changes, fire them all, make changes! Sinking ship!

MS: Hold fast, the team is great! Bring out some new stuff!

GAF: See, told you it was failing! Green rats are dying! Losers!

Scenario 2:

MS: Making changes!

Do you every tire of the victim complex? Seems like its your only retort.

panda-zebra

Greenberg is a marketing juggernaut. They even had Xbox Oreos, Xbox Legos, Starfield/Forza Doritos, Xbox controllers made of chocolate, Xbox at Taco Bell, Xbox Refrigerators. That shit is everywhere. The guy is signing deals left and right, most of them probably cheaper than TV commercials. And they have a large presence on social media that generates attention practically anytime they tweet anything. People still are obsessing about his tweets from 2020.
Would never guess he'd be one to go hard on junk food and kids toys seeing his profile...

For inspiration, just how far does this juggernaut look beyond the lunchbox his wife pops in his work bag each morning I wonder?

Greenberg's mastery of psychological influence is unmatched in the marketing space. He was able to practically enslave TimDog for 20 years for the price of a few free dinners and a couple pairs of socks. If he ever moves on from Xbox he'll probably get scooped up by the CIA, or a prominent political campaign.
Or a JCB.

JimboJones

If they aren't even going to try to compete in the console space they may aswell just embrace PC.
They need to pivot to a more open steam deck model.

Topher

Gold Member
Jason Ronald was also replaced by the Surface team

Corden says he is still there.

"Also while I'm here, Jason Ronald remains as a Tech Advisor within the Xbox hardware umbrella, since I've seen some reports in certain places that he was no longer involved in leading the charge for Xbox hardware — he is!"

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Do you every tire of the victim complex? Seems like its your only retort.

Says the guy who declares all Xbox executives incompotent vs posting the good and bad. Just pointing out the obvious hypocracy, that people like you have decided they can do no right. Turn left bad, turn right bad. I'm no victim, but ms gets no balanced view here most of the time - my posts even things out just a tiny bit. So grin and bear it.

Last edited:

onQ123

Corden says he is still there.

"Also while I'm here, Jason Ronald remains as a Tech Advisor within the Xbox hardware umbrella, since I've seen some reports in certain places that he was no longer involved in leading the charge for Xbox hardware — he is!"
I didn't say he was gone from Xbox I said he was replaced by the Surface team ( Which I think is a good thing )

Anyone responsible for BC, cloud integration, and all the system level features is great in my book. That's the best stuff.

Hard to know what this really means until we see the direction of their next console. If its some kind of PC hybrid model it would be an improvement, even if this guy did great work on the consoles according to this summary. Just have to see what's happening over the next couple years. Might be Xbox is being moved under the umbrella of the PC / AI side more closely.

Most MS employees are lifers, and 26 years is a long time. Even Bonnie Ross stayed and wasn't let go. Might be he is choosing to move on.

I was reading that and thinking the same thing. All of the stuff that are considered Microsoft's competitive advantages, this guy was involved with. It's pretty clear leadership sees no value to investing in gaming hardware/infrastructure without a growth story in the customer base. Microsoft bet on a growing playerbase from Game Pass (and possibly Xcloud) but when that failed to materialize, they decided a hard pivot to the publishing and software platform model is the way to go. Make the software, make it compatible everywhere, and own a ton of large exclusives to wield that publishing power. Microsoft gets to have higher margins, outsource their non-core competencies (hardware), and still maintain control and influence over the market with unrestricted access.

DId you hear how it's due to health reasons? Turns out eating monsters for breakfast isn't part of a balanced meal.
Although the food pyramid needs an update, he was an extremist that took things too far.

Jaybe

More and more it looks like Microsoft will just do some type of OEM Xbox branded PC rather than another traditional console. I wonder what that will mean for backward compatibility games and purchases, if they will forever be locked to the Xbox Series and earlier as Microsoft movies on with this initiative.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
More and more it looks like Microsoft will just do some type of OEM Xbox branded PC rather than another traditional console. I wonder what that will mean for backward compatibility games and purchases, if they will forever be locked to the Xbox Series and earlier as Microsoft movies on with this initiative.

I'm wondering if they can make it so Xbox game code can be run in a secure container of some kind in a customized game version of Windows. Almost like a form of emulation but for signed code. I'm just spitballing here, but that's really the only way I can see them bridging the gap between Xbox and PC.

Shrap

Greenberg is a marketing juggernaut. They even had Xbox Oreos, Xbox Legos, Starfield/Forza Doritos, Xbox controllers made of chocolate, Xbox at Taco Bell, Xbox Refrigerators. That shit is everywhere. The guy is signing deals left and right, most of them probably cheaper than TV commercials. And they have a large presence on social media that generates attention practically anytime they tweet anything. People still are obsessing about his tweets from 2020.
He's a marketing failure at this point. The Xbox brand is in the toilet and people roll their eyes at the novelty shit Xbox releases while the actual important stuff gets ignored.

Time to stick a boot in the fat old greaseball and bring in some fresh talent.

diffusionx

Gold Member
The article is less damning than the resume. Jason Ronald, the guy with the big beard is still there according to Corden. And at the end he said that the reason for this departure is "circumstantial" instead of planned. We all know that 343i leader Bonnie Ross left for "family reasons" but maybe this time it's true.
It's rarely true. There is a major shift coming, one which he probably did not agree with.

In any case the writing is on the wall. Their strategy flopped last year, they are releasing games on PlayStation, Spencer is signaling pivots in favor of running a sustainable business, people are leaving. You have to be willfully blind not to see this.

Last edited:
It's rarely true. There is a major shift coming, one which he probably did not agree with.

In any case the writing is on the wall. Their strategy flopped last year, they are releasing games on PlayStation, Spencer is signaling pivots in favor of running a sustainable business, people are leaving. You have to be willfully blind not to see this.
Pika pika.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

Scenario 1:

Scenario 2:

Or maybe its a lil bit of this:

Feels like the wrong people are leaving and the wrong people are staying

Scenario 1:

Scenario 2:

Is just analysis ducky duck

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member

Not blind, just trying to be polite.

FunkMiller

Scenario 1:

Scenario 2:

Look at what you’ve written very closely… you see where it says leadership? Who’s in charge? And has he left?

THE DUCK

Look at what you’ve written very closely… you see where it says leadership? Who’s in charge? And has he left?

So now a senior vice president isn't in a leadership roll? Nice spin.

The Verge headline?
"Microsoft loses key Xbox executive"

According to the dictionary, an executive is:

"a person with senior managerial responsibility in a business organization"

But ok, not a leader....just a lacky, ignore my post, lol.

FunkMiller

So now a senior vice president isn't in a leadership roll? Nice spin.

The Verge headline?
"Microsoft loses key Xbox executive"

According to the dictionary, an executive is:

"a person with senior managerial responsibility in a business organization"

But ok, not a leader....just a lacky, ignore my post, lol.

You’re crying about how GAF changes its mind so it’s impossible for Xbox to win, but the only thing we’re all saying, and have been saying for a long time, is ‘sack Phil’.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Looks like his days are numbered, tbh. They’re putting Bond front and center a whole lot these days. Clear transition in the works.
Where do you see it?
The sooner the better, imho, but i don’t expect him to last the gen.
Ah, yesterday the hero for you and today already throwing him under the bus…
Thanks for explaining the earlier statement with a practical example ;).

Last edited:

THE DUCK

You’re crying about how GAF changes its mind so it’s impossible for Xbox to win, but the only thing we’re all saying, and have been saying for a long time, is ‘sack Phil’.

I wasn't saying GAF changes it's mind, I was saying GAF tends to vilify and condemn MS for whatever action it does. Which you know is true.

Sack Phil all you want, it won't negate things done right (or wrong) since its all in the past, nor will it instantly fix anything. Not sure what magical direction you would expect the new person in charge to take things.

They will still try to develop new hardware, they will still try to make aaa games with the studios they have. Drop gamepass maybe? Ok some will be happy, others will leave Xbox. Become a 3rd party developer? Ok say goodbye to control and 30% of your software revenue.

Keep all games for Xbox only, no pc releases? Seems like a bad idea if you want windows to continue as the OS leader. (But would boost Xbox sales)

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The article certainly doesn’t say the Xbox specific team isn’t going to exist. It’s just being moved into a different reporting lineup (the general Hardware org). Most likely the team remains the same, just reporting to a different sub organization.
For very integrated components like the game consoles we know and love, you do see how that is not as good as a supported but more independent Xbox org and having the former split and absorbed by other teams in MS will likely lose some focus / holistic thinking? If not well, in large corporations being under different reporting lines does not bring teams closer :p.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
seems i was right.

Microsoft will not leave the console market but xbox will just be a side product moving forward.

Top Bottom