• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.

justjim89

Danny killing it again in regards to Destiny.

But I guess I’ll summarize it. RPG’s end. They’re also full of content. The Witcher is 200 hours of video game that’s been richly crafted to allow the player to experience it on their terms. They made so much game that most players won’t see half of it - that’s how much CDP respect their players.

Destiny won’t end for years, and it’s 200+ hours of gameplay is being handed out piecemeal in the form of paid DLC. Most RPG’s have stories, character customization, varied classes and player agency. Destiny has rounded off all of those in favor of creating more powerful systems that play with our senses of challenge and reward in the same way social games and slot machines do. You can’t even make your character a different color in Destiny without engaging in one of their stupid fucking parlor games.

The discussion has nothing to do with quality, it has to do with understanding that this is a game that’s been made to sell content for Bungie and Activision. When you come to terms with the idea that mechanically it’s a solid shooter and little more - it exposes Destiny for what it is. Average, manipulative and bad for gaming.

Looking forward to the Neon Struct Quick Look. That game is a great Thief-style stealth game. I'm betting it's a GBeast joint.

justjim89

Danny is absolutely right and he fucking destroys it.

Man...it's making me doubt getting Taken King. I don't want to be played like that.

10th best game of 2014! Because the shooting felt good. Not trying to be all sour grapes or start anything back up, but I don't even entirely know what it means for shooting in a game to feel good. The shooting in Wolfenstein felt pretty damn good to me.

daydream

Banned
I mean I kinda understand Austin's points that I really appreciate mundane places like a room or house being recreated in a game.

Pity that the way you interact with it seems pretty boring.

and i agree with him 100% on that point

i was basically flipping out at life is strange while i was watching the QL. it seemed like exactly the kind of game i wanted a bigger company to finally make. my excitement was significantly dampened when the time powers or whatever were introduced. seems like you still need some kind of genre "hook" to make that kind of pitch to a publisher

anyway, i'm still itching to play that game at some point

10th best game of 2014! Because the shooting felt good. Not trying to be all sour grapes or start anything back up, but I don't even entirely know what it means for shooting in a game to feel good. The shooting in Wolfenstein felt pretty damn good to me.

It feels good because it's there's good feedback, your guns really feel like they're doing damage when you get headshots. The sounds, how the enemy staggers, the speed of the character as well as the fluidity of the aiming, when you miss a shot it's not because something else caused you to miss, it's because you flubbed the shot yourself.

It's a great shooter. But, if you know me in the Destiny thread and many other Destiny threads, I've played all the content, I've clocked in hundreds of hours, but I'm extremely critical of it. I've butted heads with good friends in the Destiny Thread because I have an opinion without a filter.

I mean...it's a great game. I love playing with the people over at DestinyGAF. But personally, I couldn't take doing the same thing over and over again. I've been to Mercury multiple times, I've beat the final boss of the expansion multiple times, the challenge was just gone. All that was left was to grind out gear or reputations, which isn't really challenging. It doesn't test your skill nor merit. I think that's my biggest issue with it, I realize. It stopped becoming about the challenge, and became more about luck and fililng in bars.

i was basically flipping out at life is strange while i was watching the QL. it seemed like exactly the kind of game i wanted a bigger company to finally make. my excitement was significantly dampened when the time powers or whatever were introduced. seems like you still need some kind of genre "hook" to make that kind of pitch to a publisher

Life is Strange is pretty damn great despite the time powers. Don't skip it just because of that.

valeo

Wonder if they'll do a quick look for Rocket League? It'd be prime for some UPF action too.

de_rats blew my mind.

jgminto

Life is Strange is probably the best thing I've played so far this year.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

FWIW they integrate the time stuff and the "being an angsty indie teen" stuff pretty well.

Really good, but at this point I'm waiting for all the episodes to come out before jumping in again. That 2nd chapter. Goddamn.

Jintor

You can tell when the shooting feels good in a game. I've never sat down and broken it down exactly but it's a mix of a lot of factors - recoil, reload speed, sound feedback, enemy reaction feedback, all that good stuff.

It's the reason why I love the HL2 shotty but often hate pea-shooter shotties in other games, for example, or why Halo 1's pistol is so damn satisfying to use.

I think with consoles there's an extra dimension to shooting feeling good, which is tight analog controls. games like CoD tend to have it, the aiming is nice and reactive and the shooting feels decent. but a lot of games tend to feel like absolute garbage. The example that comes to mind for me is Far Cry 2 on the 360. That game just felt bad to play. Halo 3 also had some pretty bad aiming, to be honest.

Antiwhippy

All I'm hearing is that you love the feel as the bullet leaves the chamber. The feel of it entering another person. The feel as the light of their lives leave their eyes. The feel of having the power to govern when someone will die.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Someone told me the Mad Max game's shotgun is Doom levels of overpowered.

That's all you need to tell me to sell me on a game.

All I'm hearing is that you love the feel as the bullet leaves the chamber. The feel of it entering another person. The feel as the light of their lives leave their eyes. The feel of having the power to govern when someone will die.

I love to reload during a battle. There's nothing like the feeling of slamming a long silver bullet, into a well greased chamber.

Rainmaker

Banned
I loved shooting disproportionately sized thorns out of my handcannon in PvP because I know someone will gripe about it.

Holy damn, he's on fire here. I already thought Destiny was lame and the most disappointing game in years, but Danny just revealed a whole new angle on it.

It feels good because it's there's good feedback, your guns really feel like they're doing damage when you get headshots. The sounds, how the enemy staggers, the speed of the character as well as the fluidity of the aiming, when you miss a shot it's not because something else caused you to miss, it's because you flubbed the shot yourself.

See, but you're not actually describing anything. You can't define how something "feels" and then use the word "feel" to do so. I get that nuanced mechanics often have an intangible quality to them that can be nigh impossible to describe, but when it comes to FPS games on consoles I can't help but feel that the shooting controls are just mitigating their inherent inferiority to a mouse, where "raw input" is preferable.

I know that sounds elitist, but all my experience has led me to feel that way.

I subscribe to the Ryckert school of "shoot him in the dick."

Jintor

I love to reload during a battle. There's nothing like the feeling of slamming a long silver bullet, into a well greased chamber.

you're both fired

See, but you're not actually describing anything. You can't define how something "feels" and then use the word "feel" to do so. I get that nuanced mechanics often have an intangible quality to them that can be nigh impossible to describe, but when it comes to FPS games on consoles I can't help but feel that the shooting controls are just mitigating their inherent inferiority to a mouse, where "raw input" is preferable.

I know that sounds elitist, but all my experience has led me to feel that way.

You don't know how I feel. Don't you remember, Lesson? The Feel of battle? The clashing of bone and sinew?

You know what bothers me?

Yes, but also when a Western suit (probably a clip-on), who is speaking English, uses honorifics like "-san" when talking about a Japanese person. If only we had an English equivalent!

This is prevalent in video games pr, and I want it to stop.

You don't know how I feel. Don't you remember, Lesson? The Feel of battle? The clashing of bone and sinew?
Brother all I remember is how to cook eggs by singing a stupid little song.

Yes, but also when a Western suit (probably a clip-on), who is speaking English, uses honorifics like "-san" when talking about a Japanese person. If only we had an English equivalent!

Oh man that bugs me too. It always comes across like the person is trying way too hard to seem culturally well-informed, so much so that they actually look really ignorant.

Jintor

I don't see the harm, as long as no-one's calling anybody senpai

danm999

This is the same site that gave The Walking Dead GOTY

Apart from Alex (and maybe Vinny) has anybody really played any more episodic stuff?

That said I thought Alex was a really effective force last year at shaking up some of the dynamic in the SF office and recognising games others didn't.

Antiwhippy

Apart from Alex (and maybe Vinny) has anybody really played any more episodic stuff?

That said I thought Alex was a really effective force last year at shaking up some of the dynamic in the SF office and recognising games others didn't.

Maybe for the next episode they could add in 100+ heroes using Batman combat against a horde of zombies that you can get random loot from to get Brad to play.

Oh right. They gave Shadow of Mordor GOTY last year. Anyone remember that game?

2014 was a real bummer of a year for video games.

If you played only console games, maybe. If you had a PC, then no.

I tried my best to like Shadow of Mordor, but I found it boring as hell.

I don't see the harm, as long as no-one's calling anybody senpai

i'll always notice you, precious kouhai

Oh right. They gave Shadow of Mordor GOTY last year. Anyone remember that game?

2014 was a real bummer of a year for video games.

Let's decry Ubisoft's garbage openworld design while giving goty to a game that strictly adheres to that design. That's slightly better than snubbing one of the few games to receive a perfect score in your site's entire history, but only just.

I'll never understand the bizarre fear that modding something will cause publishers to be "hesitant" to release content.

A group of Monster Hunter players recently devised a way to make custom quests. Big names in the MH world have decried this method, suggesting that Capcom won't want to localize DLC/games for the west because we're impatient.

01P1b0n.png

danm999

I'll never understand the bizarre fear that modding something will cause publishers to be "hesitant" to release content.

A group of Monster Hunter players recently devised a way to make custom quests. Big names in the MH world have decried this method, suggesting that Capcom won't want to localize DLC/games for the west because we're impatient.

01P1b0n.png

That's a really, really weird argument that I'm assuming is in part a Western/Japanese cultural difference.

No company with any sense (and hey, maybe that doesn't include Capcom) is going to not release a game because consumers are impatient for it. In the words of Marlo Stanfield, that sounds like one of them good problems.

It also reminds me of that chat Jeff had with developers at E3 that all said some variation on "oh yeah I used to mod games when I was younger and now I make them for a living".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom