• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall finally gets performance mode on Xbox Series X/S

Just like that?

I expected CD Project type turn around story/ hype.

Let's see if they actually managed to turn it around. Should be much easier than Cyberpunk I guess.

Raise Hand GIF by Nick Jonas

Good on the devs for trying to figure this game out.
Also, Forspoken has had a few patches....you should try it.

Last edited:
Laugh Lol GIF by PG Tips

I mean... They really should have just canceled the game or given it to another studio. Using Arkane to make that abomination was a failure on all parts involved. That's not the kind of co-op Arkane game we expect. Or even the kind of game that Arkane make. It was a weird...just..... chalk that one up as an L and just do way better next time.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Redfall's biggest problem at launch was the AI.

If they've made some changes there, I'll give it another go.
The biggest problem was they created a 4 player co-op Gaas like game that no-one really wanted from them and that they had no real ability to pull off. I played for a couple of hours and there were some pretty bad AI issues as well as bulletproof foliage but I thought the setting was great and as single player game it could have been really good.

Roberts

Never even finished the tutorial at launch. 30fps and all, so I decided to wait.

Played it for two hours, I think. Too early to tell, but I don't think it sucks at all. The setting and atmosphere are great and after adjusting the deadzone and sensitivity settings, the combat is fun too. The main thing is that I'm already sold on the idea of cleaning up the town step by step - something, for example, latest farcry games failed for me personally.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Never finished even the tutorial at launch. 30fps and all, so I decided to wait.

Played it for two hours, I think. Too early to tell, but I don't think it sucks at all. The setting and atmosphere are great and after adjusting the deadzone and sensitivity settings, the combat is fun too. The main thing is that I'm already sold on the idea of cleaning up the town step by step - something, for example, latest farcry games failed for me personally.
I played through the first area and killed the first boss at launch at 30 fps. It opens up more in the second area but I decided to wait for the patch to go back and finish it. Reinstalling now.

simpatico

Wow. What must it be like to wake up, shower, eat some eggs, and drive to work to code for Redfall? What's the break room vibe like?

Banjo64

cumsessed
There are over 8 billion people in the world.

At any one time you could round up everyone in the world currently playing Redfall, and fit them in a standard sized meeting room at my work place. That or a standard sized primary school class room.

This is a game made with the backing of Zenimax and Microsoft.

Wildly hilarious.

BigLee74

Well, not only is it now 60fps, but it looks infinitely better. Strange. I assume this is because all textures are now loading in time?

Shooting feels really good as a result of the 60fps.

I may try it as a ‘filler’ between other games when my backlog is smaller, but right now I’ll still pass.

They definitely should have held it back until the 60fps was ready. It has damaged the game irreversibly I think (more than was needed anyway).

Last edited:

calistan

Hey man, don't expect the 5 posters to do all the heavy work to reach page 77. They still need some time to game
I was one of them! I actually liked the game, it's nowhere near as bad as the warriors make it out to be, and I strongly suspect the reviews wouldn't have been as scathing if
a) they had called it early access
b) it wasn't a Microsoft exclusive

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
There are over 8 billion people in the world.

At any one time you could round up everyone in the world currently playing Redfall, and fit them in a standard sized meeting room at my work place. That or a standard sized primary school class room.

This is a game made with the backing of Zenimax and Microsoft.

Wildly hilarious.

jim-carrey-dumb-and-dumber.gif

Well, not only is it now 60fps, but it looks infinitely better. Strange. I assume this is because all textures are now loading in time?

Shooting feels really good as a result of the 60fps.

I may try it as a ‘filler’ between other games when my backlog is smaller, but right now I’ll still pass.

They definitely should have held it back until the 60fps was ready. It has damaged the game irreversibly I think (more than was needed anyway).

Put in 2~ hours in this, feels fine, generic but fine. If the game launched like this, it'd probably have been a more respectable mid to high 70's review aggregate.

On Series X, no obvious performance issues seen so far. Like I said earlier, to my eyes it looks like Performance mode has little to no drop in resolution, so there seems to have been a decent amount of headroom left on the table before.

Banjo64

cumsessed
jim-carrey-dumb-and-dumber.gif

Put in 2~ hours in this, feels fine, generic but fine. If the game launched like this, it'd probably have been a more respectable mid to high 70's review aggregate.

On Series X, no obvious performance issues seen so far. Like I said earlier, to my eyes it looks like Performance mode has little to no drop in resolution, so there seems to have been a decent amount of headroom left on the table before.
There’s so many good games to play in the world Adam and you only have a finite amount of time. Why spend it playing a game like this?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
There’s so many good games to play in the world Adam and you only have a finite amount of time. Why spend it playing a game like this?

Waiting for my copy of AC Mirage to deliver, got some spare time in between. But so far from what I've played, it doesn't feel any worse than your average Far Cry game.

Looks like they've done a lot of work under the hood, no wonder it took so long for this patch to come out.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
If someone told me the ai was improved I'd 100 percent at least give it 15 minutes. Need to hear some more feedback.

It's like, everyone will be wanting to wait to hear how it is so no one plays it. Someone's gotta make the sacrifice....I already game my fill of entertainment for gaf on a Friday night.

Last edited:

Warablo

Even when they first released the trailer I thought the game would be meh at best.

Couldn't even get through a mission with friends when it first launched.

Hoddi

I'm willing to give it another shot. I enjoyed what I played for a couple of evenings at launch but its PC performance was just too broken back then. I booted it up for a couple of minutes just now and it's significantly improved if nothing else.

dorkimoe

I’m actually enjoying it on pc. The enemies are still insanely dumb and the guy play is laughable but it’s fun to just kill time in

They do this shit with all their games.

You will get an awesome title, but by the time it's there, people have already lost interest.

Halo Infinite, Gears 5, now this one.

It doesn't affect this game much, but for Halo/Gears I find it hard to get matches.

I think they should release the game with a roadmap of one year at least so people will manage their expectations. Right now, nobody knows about this outside forum cause press coverage is non existent.

Topher

Gold Member
It's funny, here and in Twitter:

Before: Where is the 60fps patch in Redfall that Phil Spencer promised??? It is a shame that nothing is known and people have been deceived.

After: 60fps patch?? Who cares, the game is not going to be better..

🙃

Yeah, that's the sentiment I've read as well, even among the Xbox diehards....

Last edited:

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I'm legit expecting Phil to go: "This is the first of the two DLC expansions that Arkane are delivering for our Deluxe Edition players"

RickMasters

Well the performance mode doesn't automatically make the game good. It had more issues than lacking that at launch. Honestly it is indeed possible to release a good game on consoles at 30FPS which is what they did with Starfield. Nobody is saying that rhe lack of a performance mode is making that game trash.
Yeah I hear that. Hence why I said maybe this is just the start of a long list of fixes. They have fixed the performance and texture issues so now they can move on to the mechanicals of the game. The AI still needs work for example. I’m sure they will get there.

Personally I’m still gonna wait and just play my other games instead. Atleast until they get the mechanics of the game more polished.

The game probably could have used another year though to be honest.

RickMasters

I never take them seriously, nor PS sites. Same goes for the Red Dragon's and Colt Eastwoods on social media. I don't even take this site seriously.
I think it’s generally a good idea to stay away from fan site and fan YouTube pages. They will always have the stench of bias on them, no matter which console they are cheerleading for.

RickMasters

Correct. The patch notes are pretty exhaustive, let's see how it is.

But then again, I never played it at launch so I won't have an accurate idea of all that's changed between then and now.
I’m still holding off. They still have some things to work out, before I jump in.

In the meantime…. I got forza, starfield and lies of P keeping me busy…. And then I’m finally gonna start a play through of cyberpunk.

Hoping the teams moral wasn’t hit too hard by this game. The Dishonoured series and prey are excellent games. I want o see the studio get back to their usual standard of excellence.

I’d like to see them just fix a few things a move on from this game.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Redfall is still a mess because of the poor design initially, but post patch, the thing actually controls well. Best console controls for an Arkane game by far now. It's not just the doubled framerate that helps. They finally figured out how to make a movement and aiming system that feels good. All that said, I hope the teams just gets the 2 new characters out there quickly and moves on to a new game. I don't think Redfall can be salvaged. The issues are buried too deeply into the initial design of the game.

Top Bottom