• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gina Carano sues Disney in a lawsuit funded by X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valedix

How Disney will handle Gina's character:

The Simpsons Goodbye GIF

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Bzzzt wrong. The lawsuit was filed in California that has a law on the books that forbids companies from firing or discriminating against an employee for political views.
Well then it sure is a good thing that it's not a political problem that Disney had with her. She was talking about the Holocaust in her ridiculous rants. That is a black and white issue. Unless you wanna call that a political topic? Disney has every right to distance themselves and their company from someone making such comments.

Disney is going to easily win this.

Last edited:

Ownage

Disney is allowed to protect their brand.
If they did so while violating her rights, then Disney is not allowed to do that. A court and potential jury will decide what's what.

That being said, until then the court of public opinion will get nasty. It might be wise for her to avoid social media and stay out of the media spotlight.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

If they did so while violating her rights, then Disney is not allowed to do that. A court and potential jury will decide what's what.

That being said, until then the court of public opinion will get nasty. It might be wise for her to avoid social media and stay out of the media spotlight.
If I go off on a public tangent that is harmful to the image of the private company that I work for I can and will be fired. None of my rights were violated in the process of that. As always freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences and Disney is not a government organization. It is free to fire those who they feel have stepped out of bounds publicly and harmed their image. We have seen case after case after case in recent years of people being caught on tape saying this or that getting fired from their respective jobs when identified. This is no different. She had every right to say what she said. She is not immune from the consequences of saying it in such a public manner.

I'm just going to leave it there until this is legally decided because this is literally just politics below the surface. I'm not going to get a ban because of Gina Carano of all people.

Last edited:

Ownage

If I go off on a public tangent that is harmful to the image of the private company that I work for I can and will be fired. None of my rights were violated in the process of that.

I'm just going to leave it there until this is either dismissed or Disney wins because this is literally just politics below the surface. I'm not going to get a ban because of Gina Carano of all people lol
I hear you. I think there's a way to debate this without getting a ban or to worry about one's image. It can take a lot of effort tho, and arguing can get tiring. Perhaps the best course of action is for all of us to simply return to the multicultural T&A threads and enjoy.

Nobody_Important

I hear you. I think there's a way to debate this without getting a ban or to worry about one's image. It can take a lot of effort tho, and arguing can get tiring. Perhaps the best course of action is for all of us to simply return to the multicultural T&A threads and enjoy.
For me it basically comes down to the fact that I don't think there is a single higher court in any state that will tell a private company that they are not allowed to protect their business or their image from the public actions of their employees. It's established precedent that employees of private companies are allowed to be fired for such reasons. Like I said above, we have example after example in recent years of people being caught on tape doing things that are detrimental to their image and by extension the image of their employers. They were then fired. We also have god knows how many other examples of actors specifically being booted from projects over their public behavior or even their behind the scenes private behavior. It's happened for decades. We haven't exactly seen a cascade of legal victories for such people.

Private companies have always been allowed to police their employees at will when it comes to situations like this. I don't see that changing in this case where she was so very public about her views. If It was an illegally recorded conversation or hacked emails I could possibly see her having some kind of leg to stand on, but she made her comments publicly and stood by them. I think the court is going to say that Disney had a right to respond.

Last edited:
don't really care whether this has a legal standing or not

but just find the hypocrisy hilarious. This is the company proudly and often brags about its inclusiveness and diversity.

Nobody_Important

GinaCarano.jpg

Seems like she compared nazi's to left wing people.

Probably a bad idea when the whole industry you are in is left wing.
Exactly.

She didn't come out in favor of a particular political party and get fired. She made an offensive tone deaf comparison to a horrific historical event and was fired for it. California's law that was mentioned earlier is irrelevant here.

Ownage

Gina has nothing to lose with the spotlight on her and Disney. Disney wants this to go away.
The haters will go after her. That can be traumatic. Good for her for fighting if she feels like she has a winning argument. I'd counsel her to avoid all social media and let the lawyers argue it out.

Kenpachii

Susan Sarandon posted the same thing a year later. No one accused her of comparing Nazis with left wing people. I wonder what the difference was...

No clue who that is.

But Gina got hired because of left wing ideology.

Going then against that and in a public space on the most edgy way u can possible push it got her fired. "shocking pikachu face'

She needs to read the room better.

If i was Disney i would have fired her simple for the reason she a lose projectile that's a net negative for the company.

Wanna keep your job? stop being a edge lord online that can get you in trouble under your own name. Honestly it's not that hard.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

Susan Sarandon posted the same thing a year later. No one accused her of comparing Nazis with left wing people. I wonder what the difference was...
Other people doing bad things does not excuse the bad actions of other people.

Both things are bad. The fact they were treated differently is 100% a discussion to be had, but doesn't change the fact that both were bad.

Nobody_Important

Funny, because she never used the words "left" or "right," "liberal" or "conservative," "democrat" or "republican."

She compared people who hate their neighbors for their political beliefs to the start of nazi Germany.
Which was an extremely inappropriate thing to do in any capacity. Which is why she was fired. She could have made her point without the holocaust reference and especially without the photo she used.

Tone deaf and outright stupid does not even begin to describe what she did given the overall social situation at the time.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I think you should be able to fire people for any reason you want. But the world under social media has become worse and not better.

People say dumb stuff all the time on social media, you would be best not to use it. I do get an impression though that if your political views align a certain way you tend to face less backlash than if the align toward the right.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I think you should be able to fire people for any reason you want. But the world under social media has become worse and not better.

People say dumb stuff all the time on social media, you would be best not to use it. I do get an impression though that if your political views align a certain way you tend to face less backlash than if the align toward the right.

Because the Right certainly didn't mind Roseanne calling a black woman a mixture of Muslim Brotherhood and planet of the apes...

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Because the Right certainly didn't mind Roseanne calling a black woman a mixture of Muslim Brotherhood and planet of the apes...
Tough to cut a whole swath of people with the same brush. I would say some care some don’t unironically from all walks of political theater.

I thought we were talking about the Gina girl not rosanne.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Tough to cut a whole swath of people with the same brush. I would say some care some don’t unironically from all walks of political theater.

I thought we were talking about the Gina girl not rosanne.

I'm talking about the pundits on the news shows on Fox.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Both things are bad. The fact they were treated differently is 100% a discussion to be had, but doesn't change the fact that both were bad.

Neither was "bAd". It was a historical fact that more people should know about. It was also politically neutral.

But we all know why it didn't matter when Susan Sarandon posted it.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I'm talking about the pundits on the news shows on Fox.
How am I supposed to know that with your reply. Am I some sort of mind reading musician that knows what you are implying.

no I’m just an old guy on an iPad watching a movie that has no idea that when you say people you really pay mean Fox News.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
How am I supposed to know that with your reply. Am I some sort of mind reading musician that knows what you are implying.

no I’m just an old guy on an iPad watching a movie that has no idea that when you say people you really pay mean Fox News.

I don't consider voters as "the right" or "the left"

Apologies for the confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom