• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök G|OT|Y

Hugare

Ok

I’m feeling the exact opposite, more connection to the characters, both old and new
Sure, that was entirely my own opinion

I love Sindri and Brok. Freya has been portrayed as that person that always says that she suffered more than you do. "Oh, your dog died? I lost 2 DOGS, ok? You wouldnt understand"

Atreus is even worse than when he was acting like a little shit during the first game. The decisions he makes here are ... something. "Oh but he is 15", please, even for a 15 years old he acts like a spoiled brat, which makes him really unlikable

And Kratos, the main character of the series, takes a back seat and just experiences things with you. He even sounds bored most of the time. For the 20h that I've played, he had no motivation so far. He follows Atreus, he follows Freya, but he is reacting to stuff instead of having some purpose of his own.

Which is sad, because he is easily the most interesting, complex and likable character of the franchise, especially after 2018.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
Oh, would you look at this.

This is you on Thursday, a day after the game came out:

And this was you on Wednesday, the day of release.

Alfheim is what, 10 hours into the game and you were already declaring it GOTY and with 20+ hours, I can't? lol, GTFO. You're just a troll who's angry someone doesn't think this is the best game ever.
I'm actually playing the not watching YouTube playthrough. But we are in an age where that equals playing the game lol

Also just go ignore as well

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I'm actually playing the not watching YouTube playthrough. But we are in an age where that equals playing the game lol

Also just go ignore as well
Lol, that's the best you can do, troll? Talk about getting owned. You got thrown your bullshit right back in your face.

Weird that nobody said anything how hot Thor's wife is.

I especially like her back story.

Hugare

Have to agree on the UI. Not intuitive at all. I'm getting around it eventually, but half the time I'm wondering if I'm missing something. Every time I go to upgrade I feel like I'm having to figure it out all over again.

Someone is going to have to explain the parallelism with Left Behind (use spoiler tags obviously)....

Is it the fact that it is a narrative with two young teens that takes place outside of the main story? What "intentions" are we talking about? Just not seeing anything other than more story that while it was a bit too long, ultimately there was some crucial story points revealed.
just like in LB, it's like a date between those characters (Angrboda is meant to be Atreus wife in the mitology). They talk about their life and sometimes flirt. You are supposed to feel some chemistry between them. Both LB and Ragnarok present one new character for this segment, and try to develop its back story to make you feel some connection.

The fireflies scene in Ragnarok where you sit down to look at them with Angrboda is very ND. The giraffe scene in TLOU, the lookout with Dina in Part II, the view at the island with Elena in Uncharted 4

Markio128

Gold Member

I love Sindri and Brok. Freya has been portrayed as that person that always says that she suffered more than you do. "Oh, your dog died? I lost 2 DOGS, ok? You wouldnt understand"

Atreus is even worse than when he was acting like a little shit during the first game. The decisions he makes here are ... something. "Oh but he is 15", please, even for a 15 years old he acts like a spoiled brat, which makes him really unlikable

And Kratos, the main character of the series, takes a back seat and just experiences things with you. He even sounds bored most of the time. For the 20h that I've played, he had no motivation so far. He follows Atreus, he follows Freya, but he is reacting to stuff instead of having some purpose of his own.

Which is sad, because he is easily the most interesting, complex and likable character of the franchise, especially after 2018.
I’m really enjoying Atreus’s story and find the development between him and Kratos the one thing that binds the whole game together. But, opinions, huh?

Topher

Gold Member
just like in LB, it's like a date between those characters (Angrboda is meant to be Atreus wife in the mitology). They talk about their life and sometimes flirt. You are supposed to feel some chemistry between them. Both LB and Ragnarok present one new character for this segment, and try to develop its back story to make you feel some connection.

The fireflies scene in Ragnarok where you sit down to look at them with Angrboda is very ND. The giraffe scene in TLOU, the lookout with Dina in Part II, the view at the island with Elena in Uncharted 4

Ok....thanks. Pretty much what I thought, but wanted to make sure. I didn't have a problem with that section really except, as I said, it went on for too long. They could have cut it in half and accomplished what they set out to accomplish, I think.

I’m really enjoying Atreus’s story and find the development between him and Kratos the one thing that binds the whole game together. But, opinions, huh?

I agree. Kratos is now the reluctant warrior and protective father. I know some people rather have the rage-filled Kratos of old, but I think this is a lot more interesting as a story.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Got it. I'll try to keep appreciation or disagreement posts for myself from now on, same for inputs on the game difficulty. To help me better filter my opinions, where my gripes with the game posted earlier fine for a pleasant GAF browsing, or should I find something else to do altogether during these smoke breaks?
nah keep shit posting

Flutta

Banned

Yeah they buchered Kratos is this game. I had a feeling this would happen. It’s kinda sad to see. Lost Hope in any of Sony western IP’s after this. The woke writing is so bad and you can’t even skip these boring cringy ass scenes/dialogues .

Funny thing is some of SSM devs where saying that they were not happen with the final product and i understand why.

Sidri and brok are the only interesting characters i want to listen too when they talk the rest makes my ear bleed.

20h in so far and i’m still waiting for that overhyped, over the top, badass feelings you get when you play GOW games.

Shubh_C63

Does anyone feels the game at balanced is a tad bit difficult than Gow2018.
Even at starting felt just skimming through the big encounters, but lower grace difficulty is too easy.

Vestal

Gold Member
I've played about 14hrs so far, here are some thoughts.

1. Very emotionally heavy right off the bat.
2. Graphics are great at times, but you do see that this is not a PS5 native game.
3. Walk, talk, walk, talk, walk, walk, walk, talk.... Maybe fight for 2min, then walk and talk some more..
4. Tighter controls than GOW 2018, and a bit more engaging combat (When you can find it).

Overall I am enjoying the game for what it is, but I am thankful they are closing this arc in two games rather than 3.. This engines glaring limitations are on full display in this game. The over all game mechanics to get you from start to finish are so GLARINGLY in your face and don't meld with the story or the overall world.(Example being the transitions between sections to load the world)

To me: "Its an audio visual novel with some interactive fight arenas sprinkled in"

Last edited:

Markio128

Gold Member
Does anyone feels the game at balanced is a tad bit difficult than Gow2018.
Even at starting felt just skimming through the big encounters, but lower grace difficulty is too easy.
I found it a bit more difficult at first (balanced), but 20+ hours into the game and I’m really getting into my flow. I’ve still died a lot more than I did in the 2018 game though, usually because I’ve gone into an encounter with the wrong tactics.

I’m looking forward to testing my skills on a harder difficulty in my next play through.

TonyK

Someone is going to have to explain the parallelism with Left Behind (use spoiler tags obviously)....

Is it the fact that it is a narrative with two young teens that takes place outside of the main story? What "intentions" are we talking about? Just not seeing anything other than more story that while it was a bit too long, ultimately there was some crucial story points revealed.
For me is the guided structure with no real gameplay or player decisions. It's a pure interactive movie chapter.

(Edit: I'm not a hater, I'm loving the game, I can't stop playing it, it's only that I prefer some aspects of the 2018 GOW)

Last edited:

Vick

Which fight, the one against the
new elf queen
?

I find the difficulty in this game to be more manageable than in the first one. The enemies are less spongy early on and the generally larger combat arenas with multiple layers give more escape options. If you're in a pinch, you can often run away, grapple to a ledge and heal and rethink your strategies.
Fuck me I got spoiled when quoting, and now I'm terrified to proceed.

It was this fight:

It is generally more manageable than the first one, or at least it is before a new enemy shows up. Campaign in 2018 was, after the first brutal hours, always relatively easy at max diffculty as they kept the real challenge for side content, but here spikes come all of a sudden. Atreus arrows so far are not even close being as effective as the shock ones were, and at least at GMGOW attacks never stop and come from all places killing you in two hits with certain attacks. Time you break the blue ring and you're dead because of another soldier launching on you. Forced myself to keep a distance at the end because doing so at the start always had me killed by too many enemies or light bombs coming at me the same second. Týr also decided out of the blue, mid fight, to stop being Gandhi and that fucked my timing at times.

- Enviroment is crazy beautiful. I'm not talking about graphic. I'm talking about how they design the world, design each realm. It's so beautiful and full of details, color and lighting. It's one of the best looking game right now. But it's weird that Alfheim is my favorite realm in GOW 2018 but now it looks pale compare to other realms lol.
I love how Alfheim looks in this one personally, got Gears 3 Shattered Paradise vibes from it. Compared to the first they got rid of those low-res cubemaps and replaced them with actual reflections, all those nasty low poly organic things are gone to make the architecture truly shine, and every asset casts shadows this time. It looks stunning imo. But if others look even better I'm all for it.

nah keep shit posting
Thanks boss. Won't be easy as you guys set the bar so damn high, but I'll try to make you proud all the same.

Topher

Gold Member
For me is the guided structure with no real gameplay or player decisions. It's a pure interactive movie chapter.

(Edit: I'm not a hater, I'm loving the game, I can't stop playing it, it's only that I prefer some aspects of the 2018 GOW)

I really have a hard time understanding what you are talking about here. There was, factually, a good bit of gameplay in that section. There was even a boss fight. "Pure interactive movie chapter"? Are we talking about the same thing?

Angrboda?

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
The game obviously look very good but in some occasions the lighting, the effects and the scenery come together in a jaw dropping composition.

52497333473_b46f34b07e_o.png

52497333513_041d4dfb39_o.png

52497058904_33e5083210_o.png

52496295377_b3157ba4bb_o.png

Last edited:

Kindela

Banned
Those dark elfs blinding you are the most annoying thing ever. Constantly moving/flying away, tanky and incredibly hard to get close to.

Last edited:

Spukc

The game obviously look very good but in some occasions the lighting, the effects and the scenery come together in a jaw dropping composition.

52497333473_b46f34b07e_o.png

52497333513_041d4dfb39_o.png

52497058904_33e5083210_o.png

52496295377_b3157ba4bb_o.png
looks like a n64 game
just downloaded the game fuck it was tired of waiting so went digital

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Finally got my first heavy runic attack. Only been playing for 25-30 hours lol. Of course it’s one of the ones from the previous game….

I don’t understand this game. Part of it feels massive like im still only barely scratching the surface, but then part of it feels like copy pasta. In terms of content, this game shits on the first game. Better side missions, way more realms to fully explore like midgard was last time, and a lot of new stuff i wont care to spoil. Graphics look aweinspiring at times, and really dated whenever the game opens up. This is where going next gen only wouldve saved them because their engine simply cant handle keeping the visual quality the same when going from linear areas to bigger more open areas. Compared to Horizon FW, this looks like a third party game at times.

It's weird because if they are adding so many new realms and so many new areas then why reuse all the runic attacks? at least for the first unlock, make it a new one. Didnt the GOW combat designer leave the studio to go work at another studio? i think he joined the avengers team. maybe thats why there is so little added to the combat system compared to the rest of the game which is brimming with content.

One thing I will say is that the game does a really good job with side characters this time around. in the last game, it was mostly kratos and loki for 90% of the game, but this time around the side characters get a chance to shine, and tbh, they are way better acted/voiced than loki or even kratos. the women in this game are killing it. Amazing performances.

Vick

Fuck me I got spoiled when quoting, and now I'm terrified to proceed.
Nevermind, quickly kicked her ass.
Was ready for some bullshit boss battle with spawning goons all over the place like in the first but it was instead a very clean and super fun fight. A mini Valkyrie. Wish there were more of these. Good stuff.

Spukc

Performance mode plus high frames on makes this game a dream to play and look at. HDR implementation is top notch too which is a nice change from the last couple years of blunders from AAA studios.
HDR was crazy good in the earlier GOW game.. this team knows what it's doing.

Last edited:

Vick

Didnt the GOW combat designer leave the studio to go work at another studio? i think he joined the avengers team. maybe thats why there is so little added to the combat system compared to the rest of the game which is brimming with content.
Jason McDonald is the man to thank for GoW 2018 combat, Santa Monica 17 years-veteran and design director on Ragnarok.

He's not going anywhere.

Those dark elfs blinding you are the most annoying thing ever. Constantly moving/flying away, tanky and incredibly hard to get close to.
Come on, compared to the light warriors they are an absolute joke. Just spam the heavy Blades attack like in the old games and breeze through them. Was having a blast killing entire hordes of them, two mere light slayers spawn and I died 15 times.
Hate them so fucking much, but just now figured one axe throw on the head does devastating damage on the fuckers.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
2k comments guys, this is something big right guys?

It is a big game but I think a lot of the comments here are being fueled by this weird Elden Ring rivalry. One game being great somehow threatens the other. Just strange that people cannot appreciate these games individually. It always seems to be part of some larger competition.

Markio128

Gold Member
It is a big game but I think a lot of the comments here are being fueled by this weird Elden Ring rivalry. One game being great somehow threatens the other. Just strange that people cannot appreciate these games individually. It always seems to be part of some larger competition.
Considering we all have a common interest, I’m baffled by some of the bitterness on display here. I just feel lucky to have played some fantastic games this year and next year could be even better.

Topher

Gold Member
Considering we all have a common interest, I’m baffled by some of the bitterness on display here. I just feel lucky to have played some fantastic games this year and next year could be even better.

Bitterness and some damn weird takes. I'd love to know who is actually playing and who is watching the game on YouTube.

Markio128

Gold Member
Bitterness and some damn weird takes. I'd love to know who is actually playing and who is watching the game on YouTube.
I have no worries about people not liking a game - fair enough, you can’t please everyone (though you should know what you are getting with this game) - it’s the trying too hard that irks me, with the long-ass essays with bullet points - I mean, come on.. 😂

Topher

Gold Member
I have no worries about people not liking a game - fair enough, you can’t please everyone (though you should know what you are getting with this game) - it’s the trying too hard that irks me, with the long-ass essays with bullet points - I mean, come on.. 😂

There are some legit gripes, but yeah some are going way out of their way.

I think we can all agree Atreus fell from the ugly tree.

Nah, he's just is that awkward phase. It'll pass.

Last edited:

Madflavor

Feel the need to echo what others have been saying about the backseat gaming from the NPCs. This game has some of the most aggressive and frustrating examples of player handholding I've ever seen. Mimir or Atreus telling you how to solve a puzzle if you take longer than 15 seconds, or yelling out you every 5 seconds on how to attack the boss. This type of game design needs to burn in hell where it belongs, or at the very least have an option to turn it off.

Beat the game last night, had a great time and definitely going back to get as close to 100% as I can!

Biggest gripe I have is that the skill trees are pretty much the same from the last one

Edit: Anybody making a spoiler thread? Cause I got lots to say

Last edited:
Top Bottom