• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War TV Series is coming to Amazon Prime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
If this has half the budget of Rings of Power, im intereted. Cant be no low budget bullshit. Show needs to have spectacle.

Hopefully it's like a mockumentary. The year is 2022 and Kratos is just trying to live a normal life and works in an office.

Something like The Office but the hook is Kratos' outbursts and temper.

I picture a group of office workers huddled together asking each other if they've met the new guy and Kratos is off-camera but you can hear him yelling, "Arreeeeesssss!!!!!" while trying to figure out how the xerox machine works.

Last edited:
Reminder: Amazon also announced a FF14 show like 4 years ago and nothing ever came of it, so there's hope this goes nowhere as well.

Swift_Star

Banned
that stuff wouldn't fly during today's social climate lmao
Why not? They can adapt the story and remove the trash talk and the cringe sex scenes, they can rewrite the dialog.
The story of the OG trilogy can be rewritten in a more mature and well developed way and not being killing for the sake of it.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I miss the times when games were made by players for players and we as players were ridiculed by "normal" people but left alone.

Just because there is so much money behind the once good franchises and some managers sniff the big money, mediocre products are being produced, produced, produced.

You have almost no chance to escape the oversaturation and eventually we have only a gray uniform mush, which must satisfy all and no longer dares anything. We can already see it today. The AAA titles rarely dare to do anything anymore, work off their checklists and function to 80% according to the same, promising formula.

Boring. That's all I can think of.

I'm bored by AC
I'm bored by Horizon
I'm bored by CoD
I'm bored by FC
I'm bored by GoW
I'm bored by Halo
I'm bored by BF

All the franchises I used to like became boring by doing the same over and over again. Adding series to that now doesn't make it any better. Only non-gamers can be additionally bored.

I'm not a psychology expert but to me it sounds like you're suffering from a serious case of needing to get over yourself.

Did you explode when you learned Angerboda was black in the game? Are we really pulling the race card with fictional gods? Next you'll tell me that Jesus was white because Catholics deemed it so.
Calm down, you're a getting excited.

If this issue needs to be explained to you then you are already too stupid or too brainwashed to understand anyway.

Presumably, you got this upset about the fictional characters of Wakanda being entirely homogenous?

You absolutely demanded it be more inclusive, right?

After all, it's a fictional universe made up of fictional characters and therefore should be fully representative of our modern world...right?

Otherwise, I would have to ask if it's because you have some underlying hatred for one particular group.

There's a word for that, isn't there?

Oh, and I actually liked the girl in Ragnarok... very charming.

Last edited:

Aenima

Why do I get the feeling they'll ruin it?

Atreus will be a girl, probably one who isn't white, and Kratos will be Hispanic.

All the characters in this European mythological epic will be straight out of the diversity hiring pool.
From all the characters in Norse Mythology, Atreus/ Loki, is the one that can be whatever they like. He shapeshifted into all kinds of ppl and genders and even got pregnant as a female horse in norse mythology. The horse born from Loki was the 8 legged horse Odin rides in Norse mythology.

GoW version of the norse mytholy is much more tame and less "woke" than the real mythology.

Last edited:
From all the characters in Norse Mythology, Atreaus/ Loki, is the one that can be whatever they like. He shapeshifted into all kinds of ppl and genders and even got pregnant as a female horse in norse mythology. The horse born from Loki was the 6 legged horse Odin rides in Norse mythology.
I'm not going to get into some long winded back and forth about Norse mythology.

This isn't that important.

It's simply my opinion on the current state of television.

They ruin most things, with laziness and a complete misunderstanding of the source material.

Aenima

I'm not going to get into some long winded back and forth about Norse mythology.

This isn't that important.

It's simply my opinion on the current state of television.

They ruin most things, with laziness and a complete misunderstanding of the source material.
Because you using "European mythology" as if all characters needed to be white. And Norse mythology uses alot of diferent races.

I know nowadays everyone tries to force diversity in every setting, but is not out of place to see it in Norse Mythology if they go that way. And i found it funny you using Loki as a women to be an example of forced diversity, when in the real mythology, Loki was a woman many times.

Last edited:
Because you using "European mythology" as if all characters needed to be white. And Norse mythology uses alot of diferent races.

I know nowadays everyone tries to force diversity in every setting, but is not out of place to see it in Norse Mythology if they go that way. And i found it funny you using Loki as a women to be an example of forced diversity, when in the real mythology, Loki was a woman many times.
I said Atreus, not Loki... semantics, maybe, but I was referring to the young male referred to in the two games as Atreus son of Kratos.

Ultimately, my point was about the way television companies and those who write these stories take the source material, often source material with a long history and complex lore which is loved by many, and they change it to suit their personal politics and score points.

They did it with Lord of the Rings recently, they've done it with numerous superhero movies, and with stuff based on historical events etc...

That's really my main issue.

The thing is, I believe in respecting everyone's culture and heritage.

P.S do you agree that being true to the source material, which in this case is the series God of War and not the wider mythology, is important?

Last edited:

Toons

Im reminded how cynical gamers can be every time I visit XD

im hoping its good but im not particularly connected to the brand.

Also what's with this boards thing with Tom Holland?

Hopefully it's like a mockumentary. The year is 2022 and Kratos is just trying to live a normal life and works in an office.

Something like The Office but the hook is Kratos' outbursts and temper.

I picture a group of office workers huddled together asking each other if they've met the new guy and Kratos is off-camera but you can hear him yelling, "Arreeeeesssss!!!!!" while trying to figure out how the xerox machine works.

i mean...

Your kratos:

s-l500.jpg

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
They should be really progressive and have one of the Blacked.com guys play Kratos, the plot will surely be on the same level. At least we can get some quality entertainment.

Steve Harvey Wow GIF by NBC

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Disappointing they’re focusing on the recent games. The old games could be expanded to give kratos more nuance and reasons for his vengeance.
They also could explain why the Greek pantheon acted like they did.
Very disappointing.

I think you’re wrong here, it’s completely normal for stories to start media res and therefore it’s perfectly normal to start Kratos story after what happened in Greece.

We are all used to stories where the backstory of a character is only exposed to us through hints and mentions.

It’s a small example but John Wick for example is like that.

mcjmetroid

This is zero chance the fans of the game will like this. It won't even be able to do half of the horrible stuff Kratos has done in games 1-3.

Kikorin

I'd like them to cast a black actor for Kratos and a girl for his daughter just for the meltdown, but considering is Amazon could not happen.

Gaelyon

As an european guy i'm puzzled by the mainly american obsession for race/gender in any kind of media. There's not a single thread about a game/movie/TV show that don't instantly degenerate to a skin color or gender argument.
I mean i understand the duality between writers trying to appeal to a wide public by including a large diversity and people upset by change on the original material, but there's also so much hate and racism underlying many comments it's both sad and upsetting to read these threads.
Anyway i wasn't expecting a GoW show but I'll wait to see it first hand before making any judgement (same for the TLOU show).

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I mean i understand the duality between writers trying to appeal to a wide public by including a large diversity and people upset by change on the original material, but there's also so much hate and racism underlying many comments it's both sad and upsetting to read these threads.
Do you understand that if you change too much, the image of the character is lost? Why not making just a new character?! Remember Dante changes and everyone hated. Conker changed and everyone hated. Even fucking Pokémon changed Ash's in the anime, Pikachu got slimmer in every media, and people got pissed

Kratos is greek, so it's a mix, kinda with a caramel skin. Could change to a brazilian skin? Probably. For the sake of the character, stick to the source, do a good job and people will consume the hell of it

Don't confuse racism with "people want the original shit"

Umbasaborne

Banned
Skipping greece is so fucking lame. Its like sony wants to erase the old god of war games from existence. Amazon is too fucking cowardly to actually respect the original source material too, instead jumping straight to the safe sad dad material that wont offend anyone.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
It's so weird to me that we're getting TV/film adaptations of games which themselves were heavily influenced by film in the first place and are basically just that from start to finish (see TLOU, Uncharted, etc). These franchises are specifically the ones that don't need live action versions lol.

Kupfer

Kratos is greek, so it's a mix, kinda with a caramel skin. Could change to a brazilian skin? Probably. For the sake of the character, stick to the source, do a good job and people will consume the hell of it
When they start the show with GoW 2018, nobody gives a shit what nationality and skin color Kratos has, because apparently no one cares anymore how he became the "God of War" and what sacrifices he had to make to get there. Actually, the series doesn't need to be called "God of War" either, "Dad of Boy" has been more fitting since the last two games.
But big name = big money
They could have just invented a new, original story instead of muddling an already cinematic experience into another cinematic experience

Last edited:

Ammogeddon

I few years ago I would’ve been excited about this. My default setting now is pessimism. This’ll be shite.

A movie and potentially a movie trilogy in the hands of someone capable would be interesting but a TV series from Amazon? GTFO

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
When they start the show with GoW 2018, nobody gives a shit what nationality and skin color Kratos has, because apparently no one cares anymore how he became the "God of War" and what sacrifices he had to make to get there. Actually, the series doesn't need to be called "God of War" either, "Dad of Boy" has been more fitting since the last two games.
But big name = big money
They could have just invented a new, original story instead of muddling an already cinematic experience into another cinematic experience
They could do flashbacks, like they did in the 2018 game, and they probably will. The whole story revolves around keeping the secret of who they are from his son early on. They will have to explain that to the audience.

I just have zero faith in the showrunner choices and even less faith they'll do well with casting on Amazon.

ham rum GIF

Seriously tho, a series based on the old games with a mostly lonely Kratos could make a great John Wick like action movie series.

Last edited:

Kupfer

They could do flashbacks, like they did in the 2018 game, and they probably will. The whole story revolves around keeping the secret of who they are from his son early on. They will have to explain that to the audience.

I just have zero faith in the showrunner choices and even less faith they'll do well with casting on Amazon.
I doubt that nowadays they have the balls to present a "hero" to such a large audience, who has slaughtered his family, has to carry them around every day for humiliation in the form of women's and children's ashes burned into his skin, then starts a bloody vengeance trip against all available (Greek) gods, beats everything and everyone in his way to a bloody pulp, in order to grow out of it as the most powerful man or god ever.

Make it fully CGI and voiced by the game voice cast and I'll be interested.

They def should have gone with a different streaming service (although some stuff on Amazon is great, e.g. The Boys, Vox Machina, The Expanse, and Reacher).

The Expanse (whose writers are onboard), The Boys, The Devil's Hour, The Terror, The Marvelous Ms. Maisel, The Rings of Power, and Good Omens beg to differ. I'd be far more worried if it had gone to Netflix or Apple.
The Expanse last season was crap. Same with The Terror’s second season. The Boys last season was only saved by Dean Winchester. And The Rings of Power.. enough said.

mckmas8808

Banned
As an european guy i'm puzzled by the mainly american obsession for race/gender in any kind of media. There's not a single thread about a game/movie/TV show that don't instantly degenerate to a skin color or gender argument.
Anyway i wasn't expecting a GoW show but I'll wait to see it first hand before making any judgement (same for the TLOU show).

America is going through a HUGE culture war at the moment. It started around 2008-2009. Something happened for the first time in America's history that year and ever since, the culture war has exploded. It's getting worse and worse ever year too. It SUCKS!

Last edited:

Gaelyon

Do you understand that if you change too much, the image of the character is lost? Why not making just a new character?! Remember Dante changes and everyone hated. Conker changed and everyone hated. Even fucking Pokémon changed Ash's in the anime, Pikachu got slimmer in every media, and people got pissed

Don't confuse racism with "people want the original shit"
But i don't confuse it, as I was saying "I mean i understand the duality between writers trying to appeal to a wide public by including a large diversity and people upset by change on the original material" in the quote ! But further than just "people want the original shit" (which is understandable) there's a lot of underlying racism, not in all comment, but it crystallized those themes.

When Gerard Butler played Leonidas in 300, did all these people were upset that it wasn't a greek guy ? i doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom