• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla |OT| Oh No, There Goes Tokyo!

I have it held but I just am not 100 percent sure if I want to drop 60 on it. My Son would love it but I'm sure it isn't the highest quality. No reviews either that I can see so far.

PS4 pre-order placed at Best Buy for $47.99. Bad reviews or not, I just wanna wreck stuff for a bit with Godzilla. Plus, there could be some fun times to be had with GAF'ers in some Monster vs Monster action online!

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
Really hoping the PS4 version ups the framerate. Played the PS3 demo a long time ago; super slow.

Kamina777

Banned
Amazingly well done OT for this game.

I don't even know if I'm going to love this game but the sheer amount of characters and fan service makes me want to support it,

I can't wait to see pictures of Desugoji. unfortunately I can't buy this at launch (lost my job) but I will be keeping a close eye on it, I need to procure a physical copy.
Are you in the states? I know that situation well, if so I may be able to help you out to get it soon and you can pay me back when you're back on your feet. PM me.

Rurunaki

let-them-fight.jpg

Let's do this.

Good news guys; there is both English and Japanese voice options!

Only done the tutorial but it was pretty cool, looking forward to getting stuck in now.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My only reference point is playing Godzilla Generations on my import dreamcast at launch. I seem to remember enjoying it but it was a long time ago. Is this anything like that game? The destruction mode sounds similar?

My only reference point is playing Godzilla Generations on my import dreamcast at launch. I seem to remember enjoying it but it was a long time ago. Is this anything like that game? The destruction mode sounds similar?
It's kind of like that but iirc the dreamcast game was kind of on rails, right? This one lets you move freely in small sections of the city with generators to destroy and the occasional kaiju battle.

No way, people are already playing this via digital download? uGh, looks like I will have to forfeit my physical copy, I need this now! There hasn't been a game like this in sooooo long and it is one of the best genres.

Audette

Amazingly well done OT for this game.

I don't even know if I'm going to love this game but the sheer amount of characters and fan service makes me want to support it,

Are you in the states? I know that situation well, if so I may be able to help you out to get it soon and you can pay me back when you're back on your feet. PM me.

Thank you so much for the offer, but couldn't accept. shipping to Canada would be too much and our stupid money is way down. not a good time for me or the dollar haha.
but again thanks for the offer.

Kamina777

Banned
Thank you so much for the offer, but couldn't accept. shipping to Canada would be too much and our stupid money is way down. not a good time for me or the dollar haha.
but again thanks for the offer.
Yeah that's why I had to make sure you were in the states! You're welcome, maybe someone else will hook you up or game share with you, hate to see a fan not get to indulge.

Audette

I blew the last of my disposable income on the fallout 4 pipboy edition preorder... so it's all my fault anyways hahaha *sigh* sorry goji... forgive me..

Impulsor

I'd love to read some GAF impressions on this. It came out of the blue for me and I really DO have anger management issues, this game could help with that lol.

Damn, the timed missions are intense. Finished one with less than 2 seconds on the clock.

Curious how to get 100% destruction and all the intel gathering on those, doesn't seem to be enough time. Maybe if you go back with upgrades?

Not really sure what to say to people asking for impressions. It's a Godzilla simulator basically. You smash buildings, tail swipe helicopters and blast atomic breath at kaiju.

I think my biggest gripe so far is stage variety. I've done 4 stages and one of them was repeated already :/ There are multiple paths to take so I wonder how many unique stages there actually are.

Its not the best looking and its kinda clunky, but damn if I don't have a huge grin on my face while playing it. If you really like Godzilla I'd say this is worth picking up. Some may want to wait for a price drop though.

Impulsor

Damn, the timed missions are intense. Finished one with less than 2 seconds on the clock.

Curious how to get 100% destruction and all the intel gathering on those, doesn't seem to be enough time. Maybe if you go back with upgrades?

Not really sure what to say to people asking for impressions. It's a Godzilla simulator basically. You smash buildings, tail swipe helicopters and blast atomic breath at kaiju.

I think my biggest gripe so far is stage variety. I've done 4 stages and one of them was repeated already :/ There are multiple paths to take so I wonder how many unique stages there actually are.

but how does it feel to play?

What gameplay modes are there? Is there a destruction derby mode of sorts? in which I don't have to fight another kaiju?

TIMED
MISSIONS?

FUCK

Ah well. Is there a difficulty select for this game? Me and timed missions don't get along.

You have multiple routes to take after each stage basically. The top route is always easier than the bottom. The time limit is actually not an issue if you just go for the generators straight away. It seems like if you still have a kaiju enemy in play after taking out the generators then the timer goes away and you can go around destroying everything.

So yeah, if the timer is an issue then either take an easier route or just book it for the generators, you have plenty of time that way.

but how does it feel to play?

What gameplay modes are there? Is there a destruction derby mode of sorts? in which I don't have to fight another kaiju?

It feels like you're playing as Godzilla I guess. General movement is slow but attacks are fast. I feel like they've nailed the "feel" of Godzilla for sure.

Modes are detailed at the start of this thread but no, there is no mode that doesn't have other kaiju.

I also just got fucked up by Super X 1, 2 and 3 simultaneously. Shit gets crazy at disaster level 4.

Impulsor

You have multiple routes to take after each stage basically. The top route is always easier than the bottom. The time limit is actually not an issue if you just go for the generators straight away. It seems like if you still have a kaiju enemy in play after taking out the generators then the timer goes away and you can go around destroying everything.

So yeah, if the timer is an issue then either take an easier route or just book it for the generators, you have plenty of time that way.

It feels like you're playing as Godzilla I guess. General movement is slow but attacks are fast. I feel like they've nailed the "feel" of Godzilla for sure.

Modes are detailed at the start of this thread but no, there is no mode that doesn't have other kaiju.

I also just got fucked up by Super X 1, 2 and 3 simultaneously. Shit gets crazy at disaster level 4.

Biting the bullet, just feel like getting a different game for once.

EDIT: Bought it, being shipped right now, will get here tomorrow. I can't beleive Im hyped for this.

Delio

Playing this last night was awesome. They did nail how Godzilla moves. I really like Godzilla 2014s moveset more than the others.

I will say that King Ghidorahs hitbox confused me for a bit. Actually died fighting him.

this feels like a bit of a spiritual successor to Generations 1. Its a lot more focused than the first Generations (you aren't just wandering around destroying every tree and building) as the "story" mode is usually you blowing up generators and destroying the city until another monster shows up to stop you.

GAFers calling this a Godzilla Simulator hit the nail on the head.
My Son would love it but I'm sure it isn't the highest quality. No reviews either that I can see so far.
Relative to what? the devs were clearly fans of the series and made a game for fellow fans. This is a niche title, I'm not expecting stellar reviews.

I enjoyed Destroy All Monster Melee and Save the Earth. They fun brawlers but this is the first game since Generations where I really feel like it is a Godzilla game first, not just a fighter with Godzilla characters.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
One thing I learned for sure during this runthrough of Hard: Do not fuck with Mecha King Ghidorah. He will wreck you if you get cocky.

And yes, it does have the classic Godzilla music. When the Disaster Level raises and they send in the new defense forces that great "Here comes the JDF!" theme plays and the soldiers trash talk Godzilla like they have a chance. It's great.

ys45

So I decided to get this after seeing this OT and few gameplay videos, nice OT btw ! .
This reminds me of king of Monsters 1&2 on SNES I played that a lot back in the day.

Impulsor

Seriously, I'm so unbeleivably hyped now.

How did this happen to me, I',ll be thankful I just discovered this game a couple days ago because the wait would have been unbearable if I had gotten hyped for this earlier.

Sephzilla

Seriously, I'm so unbeleivably hyped now.

How did this happen to me, I',ll be thankful I just discovered this game a couple days ago because the wait would have been unbearable if I had gotten hyped for this earlier.

No joke, I wish I had today off. I'd be binging on this game and during breaks I'd be watching some Heisei era movies.

I'm only a couple hours in and this is already my favorite Godzilla game. The devs were clearly huge fans, this isn't some soulless cash grab

I wouldn't recommend it to just anybody, but I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger if you're a fan of the movies

Did they fix the exploit from the japanese version where you could use godzillas shoulder charge repeatedly to basically stun lock every monster to beat them?

So is this similar and/or better than Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters?
It's not similar or better. DAMM is a fast paced brawler, this is a slower "Godzilla Simulator". I haven't played the new game so I can't speak to its quality, but they are both different games in their own leagues.

Impulsor

No joke, I wish I had today off. I'd be binging on this game and during breaks I'd be watching some Heisei era movies.

In anticipation for tomorrow, I'm watching the newest movie today in 3D on my home cinema, and after that, some of the older ones. Even Pacific Rim if I must, damnit!

Anything to quench my thirst for kaiju destruction.

Raptomex

It's not similar or better. DAMM is a fast paced brawler, this is a slower "Godzilla Simulator". I haven't played the new game so I can't speak to its quality, but they are both different games in their own leagues.
Good to know. Thanks. This looks pretty cool but I know little about it.

I blew the last of my disposable income on the fallout 4 pipboy edition preorder... so it's all my fault anyways hahaha *sigh* sorry goji... forgive me..

cancel the poop boy edition and play the real GOTY that's being talked about here.

fallout's got nuthin on big G

jk

One thing I learned for sure during this runthrough of Hard: Do not fuck with Mecha King Ghidorah. He will wreck you if you get cocky.

And yes, it does have the classic Godzilla music. When the Disaster Level raises and they send in the new defense forces that great "Here comes the JDF!" theme plays and the soldiers trash talk Godzilla like they have a chance. It's great.
how the hell are you beating hard mode? Lol, I'm getting destroyed...

Edit: maybe I just got unlucky. I ran into a 100m monster on level 2 and took the easy way instead

Top Bottom