• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla |OT| Oh No, There Goes Tokyo!

Sounds like this game is not for you man..
I don't even really notice any of those things because I'm a bias godzilla fan who is just happy to have a godzilla game. My little nephews love it, play it with them, we have fun, it's cool to see the smiles on their faces as they blow stuff up ect ect

Sadly most people I've seen talk about the game in general liken the game to shit. My review over on metacritic is one of the highest scores with a 7, and I'm not a huge Godzilla fan, it just gave me a vibe of an older brawler monster game and made me smile. I think it could have been much better in many ways but I don't think it's a terrible game at all. It's just not for a huge audience, and I think that was expected.

Tizoc

Sometimes with video games.
It's the simple stuff that matter.
If you enjoy them and can have a blast playing a game, then the game's done its job.

That's just my $0.20 though.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I haven't purchased this yet, but I've been a fan of it all since I was a kid. Games like Godzilla, where you're moving around a city, smashing buildings, and battling the military/monsters are so few and far between that some clipping or matchmaking issues are far down on the list of importance.

NEO0MJ

Should have been the tree stuff.

king_kong_vs_godzilla_ii_by_ldn_rdnt-d7b8xen.jpg

Anung

Un Rama
Sadly most people I've seen talk about the game in general liken the game to shit. My review over on metacritic is one of the highest scores with a 7, and I'm not a huge Godzilla fan, it just gave me a vibe of an older brawler monster game and made me smile. I think it could have been much better in many ways but I don't think it's a terrible game at all. It's just not for a huge audience, and I think that was expected.

To me it seems like everyone is shitting on it for what its not instead of focusing on what it is and what it sets out to do.

Angry Joe's review was borderline unwatchable to me. I like Joe when he actually has thoughtful critique but that video was just anger click bait crap. Plus it makes him look like a moron when he's like "What's disaster level?!" (the game tells you) and gets angry at the game because he was too stupid to notice the time limit on certain levels (the game tells you)

Got this from Gamefly yesterday. This game is pretty badass! I went through GoD a few times to get as many kaiju as I can, as well as taking all the pictures/getting 100% destruction, etc. Even got the Jet Jaguar trophy! Thought I was on my way to the Platinum but then I noticed the "fully evolve every kaiju" trophy. Whelp.
Good luck to anyone going for that lol

Raptomex

Unlocked the final monster last night so I have them all. What's the best monster to complete King of Kaiju in under 6 min?

What do people expect from a Godzilla game that stays true to it's source material? The fighting is basically how it is in the movies......you can't expect Platinum/Capcom style fighting in a game where big lumbering monsters mostly just smack/shove each other 80% of the time with the other % being beam battles and such. Hell, Godzilla never even blocks in the movies, he just takes it and gives a smack/beam back. The game basically gives a block in the form of the Roar that was in the tutorial.....dunno how anybody can miss it or the other simple instructions. If anything fighting wise was missing in the game, it would be the beam struggles(personally dunno if they're in). The game is average/above average at best but as a Godzilla game, it's really well made and does what it does to say the least. You can tell it was made for Godzilla fans by Godzilla fans and that's all that matters.

LMOc3gI.gif

z9K8rG2.gif

Got this from Gamefly yesterday. This game is pretty badass! I went through GoD a few times to get as many kaiju as I can, as well as taking all the pictures/getting 100% destruction, etc. Even got the Jet Jaguar trophy! Thought I was on my way to the Platinum but then I noticed the "fully evolve every kaiju" trophy. Whelp.
Good luck to anyone going for that lol

Haha I feel you on that, I feel the grind is a little too much even though it's fun. Imo, I think they should've made a experience system to level up since the current system relies on a little to much randomness for not much of an upgrade skill wise. I still really REALLY enjoy it but there could be lots of improvements if they ever make a sequel.

I don't remember Godzilla blocking, crossing up or doing parries in any of the movies. Its fine if you say it's a lackluster product, but putting unrealistic expectations on it to the further the point just seems like ovrrkill.

I dont think having a block button in a game where you fight monsters is unrealistic. Its a game not a movie. Certain changes need to be made when translating a product to a different media. And yes i know about the roar. But right now the game is very unbalanced as certain monsters and players with a higher unlock count will always have an advantage. This could have been improved greatly if it had a local coop mode because i think most people just want to recreate battles with friends instead of trying to play competitive. Its what i wish i could do.

SURGEdude

Sounds like this game is not for you man..
I don't even really notice any of those things because I'm a bias godzilla fan who is just happy to have a godzilla game. My little nephews love it, play it with them, we have fun, it's cool to see the smiles on their faces as they blow stuff up ect ect

In the end if your having fun that's great. I wouldn't at all suggest that there is anything wrong with that or anyone who enjoys something I don't.

I didn't offer up my opinion because I have interest in trolling a dedicated fanbase. Instead I just wanted to offer up some insight on how a very casual Godzilla fan might perceive a game that I think the vast majority of console owners would view as a terrible deal at $60.

While I don't base my buying decisions on users metascore I do think in this case it is a pretty fair reflection of how non-fans of the franchise will feel about the title. At the risk of sounding rude to the people who do enjoy it, I'd go so far as to consider it a pretty lazy effort which is a cynical attempt to put forth the least bit of effort and sell a $20 digital game for full price to a hungry fanbase of folks who really want to play a Godzilla game.

Daingurse

Finally got everyone unlocked today, invaded with Burning Godzilla and picked up Mecha-King Ghidorah along the way to the final show down with Destoroyah. Now to start upgrading my favorite Kaiju! Despite the repetition in the core-gameplay, I'm still having a lot of fun with the game. Stomping around with my favorite giant monsters ever, just has too much novelty. Not sure if I'll pursue the Platinum or not, probably not since I never bother. I have a lot of game left, and I still have Kaiju I haven't messed around with. Been playing the game pretty casually.

Raptomex

Using Mothra (Adult) and Battra Imago, it's a pain in the ass to fight anything smaller or destroy shit on the ground. As bigger Kaiju, I usually just stomp through.

Since Godzilla grows, these other Kaiju gain "power". Is this essentially the same thing?

zeopower6

Mecha King Ghidorah is THE King of Kaiju time king. Just with two or three of his attacks you can get sub 4 minutes no problem. I am having trouble getting to 3:30 though...

And as a casual Godzilla fan myself, I will say that the game is definitely "expensive" considering the content but I am also a fan of many franchises that only ever have their games released in Japan without any hope for localization so for me, it really wasn't that big of a deal that they decided to slap the normal MSRP on it since importing would have cost a bit more anyway. This has more than the average digital-only licensed game IMO but definitely sits between that and 'fully fleshed out retail game software'. However. I think this franchise to begin with is also something that is extremely niche, so it is hard to please everyone when you can only put out a game every so often. I hope they can release that Godzilla fighting game to please people who wanted local multiplayer at some point but also release something similar to this with more polish and the intent to release on PS4 to begin with.

Jabba

Banned
Unlocked the rest of the Kaiju today and have them all. My Godzilla was 114.53m I think. He was huge. When Destoroyah showed up earlier, I was about 95 meters and beat him. Awesome game for Godzilla fans.

Dang, I'm stoked a bit. I just defeated a 100m Hedorah with a non upgraded 63-4m Burning Godzilla, with a pretty good fury meter for my playing ability. Usually, I get smacked down.

It looks like, if you can pull off enough damage before getting your ass kicked or push the 100m Kaiju back far enough away from you a few times, they become less aggressive and they circle and size you up more. I defeated adult Mothra with same strategy a few days back at about the same height but my Godzilla was ugraded with 2 breath gauges. The 2 gauges saved my ass against Mothra, as she was still a bit more aggressive than Hedorah was.

What do people expect from a Godzilla game that stays true to it's source material? The fighting is basically how it is in the movies......you can't expect Platinum/Capcom style fighting in a game where big lumbering monsters mostly just smack/shove each other 80% of the time with the other % being beam battles and such. Hell, Godzilla never even blocks in the movies, he just takes it and gives a smack/beam back. The game basically gives a block in the form of the Roar that was in the tutorial.....dunno how anybody can miss it or the other simple instructions. If anything fighting wise was missing in the game, it would be the beam struggles(personally dunno if they're in). The game is average/above average at best but as a Godzilla game, it's really well made and does what it does to say the least. You can tell it was made for Godzilla fans by Godzilla fans and that's all that matters.

LMOc3gI.gif

z9K8rG2.gif

Haha I feel you on that, I feel the grind is a little too much even though it's fun. Imo, I think they should've made a experience system to level up since the current system relies on a little to much randomness for not much of an upgrade skill wise. I still really REALLY enjoy it but there could be lots of improvements if they ever make a sequel.

pretty much. and yes i hope the sequel improves in a lot of ways

Mecha King Ghidorah is THE King of Kaiju time king. Just with two or three of his attacks you can get sub 4 minutes no problem. I am having trouble getting to 3:30 though...

sorry man biollante has that title

mkg is powerful but even his best effort isnt enough to stop a biollante player.

ridiculous range and super attack

they both need to be nerfed imo

Jabba

Banned

And as a casual Godzilla fan myself, I will say that the game is definitely "expensive" considering the content but I am also a fan of many franchises that only ever have their games released in Japan without any hope for localization so for me, it really wasn't that big of a deal that they decided to slap the normal MSRP on it since importing would have cost a bit more anyway. This has more than the average digital-only licensed game IMO but definitely sits between that and 'fully fleshed out retail game software'. However. I think this franchise to begin with is also something that is extremely niche, so it is hard to please everyone when you can only put out a game every so often. I hope they can release that Godzilla fighting game to please people who wanted local multiplayer at some point but also release something similar to this with more polish and the intent to release on PS4 to begin with.

Yeah, if you look at the rankings Mecha King Ghidorah is all over the leaderboards all through the top 100 in King of Kaiju. There's a few Burning Godzillas/King Ghidorahs on there as well.

Anyone have any tips on keeping up the fury meter with the shoddy movement of the 2 Mecha Godzillas from the older films? They both take a long time to get where they're going with no upgrades.
At least with Anguirus before upgrades, you can use his jump attack to travel fast enough to cover medium size open spaces.

Sephzilla

Showed this game to a friend this weekend. His thought was that it definitely looked like a game that had a tight budget but that it looked like they put a lot of love into little details. He especially appreciated little details with Godzilla 2014, like how the dorsal plates light up from tail to head just like in the movie. He also made the observation that 2014 Godzilla's atomic breath animation is noticeably more animated than the other Godzilla's and said "they probably made it that way because this Godzilla was CG and not a guy in a suit".

This game has dem little details.

Raptomex

So invading as Battra Imago and fighting Mothra (Larva) in the first stage, it's like impossible to hit her. I have to wait for my beam gauge to keep refilling. Unless someone knows of a better way.

Anyone Platinum yet? I'm slowly working my way to 100% all of the monsters but I don't want to get burned out on the game so it's a slow process.

I got sick of waiting for the Godzilla 1985 rights issue to be fixed and just bought the original VHS from New World Pictures at a flea market.

It's a shame I missed out on this one when I was a kid.

Leon Raycloud

Neo Member
Showed this game to a friend this weekend. His thought was that it definitely looked like a game that had a tight budget but that it looked like they put a lot of love into little details. He especially appreciated little details with Godzilla 2014, like how the dorsal plates light up from tail to head just like in the movie. He also made the observation that 2014 Godzilla's atomic breath animation is noticeably more animated than the other Godzilla's and said "they probably made it that way because this Godzilla was CG and not a guy in a suit".

This game has dem little details.

You can take mechagodzillas head off for god sake! There was definitely a lot of love in the making of this game , but with really tight budget.
Maybe i'm biased but I think they made a great job.

I got sick of waiting for the Godzilla 1985 rights issue to be fixed and just bought the original VHS from New World Pictures at a flea market.

It's a shame I missed out on this one when I was a kid.

I hate that rights issue. I have the VHS release and Japanese laserdisc.

I also got a DVD was was *ahem* not released by Toho and it has 4 discs with: Return of Godzilla (English subs); Return of Godzilla (English international version); Godzilla 1985; and bonus features. THAT is how you [should] release a special edition.

I hate that rights issue. I have the VHS release and Japanese laserdisc.

I also got a DVD was was *ahem* not released by Toho and it has 4 discs with: Return of Godzilla (English subs); Return of Godzilla (English international version); Godzilla 1985; and bonus features. THAT is how you [should] release a special edition.

I've never seen the international version only 85 and the original sub. The international dubs tend to be terrible since Toho used Hong Kong actors but I would still like to see it since it's pretty much the original Japanese version in English.

Toho really stinks when it comes to extra features though wish my Krakken Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster Blu Ray would have had the AIP dub on it.

MrMephistoX

Nostalgia overload. I played the shit out of this game as a kid thinking it was awesome.

Stuff like Godzilla on the NES is a full justification for emulation. I have the damn cart so nesticle doesn't seem evil to me. Who the hell would go through the licensing trouble these days?

I'm going hard now to Platinum this before Fallout 4 comes out. Grinding to get enough parts and evolution to unlock everything for everyone is ridiculous, but I can't leave it with 2 trophies between me and a platinum.

I also wish this came out on the Vita. The short round time and limited controls would be perfect for it.

Tizoc

I'm going hard now to Platinum this before Fallout 4 comes out. Grinding to get enough parts and evolution to unlock everything for everyone is ridiculous, but I can't leave it with 2 trophies between me and a platinum.

I also wish this came out on the Vita. The short round time and limited controls would be perfect for it.

Well
you could always use remote play :p

steveovig

Just rented this for the weekend and I love it so far. I should have tried this a long time ago. It's so fun destroying everything and fighting dumb monsters. I finished Kaiju in a little over 10 minutes and beat the Easy levels on GOD mode. Probably going to try and buy this before the years end.

mosaic

go eat paint
I am a big Goji fan and picked up this game about a month or so ago when it was $25. I think the $20-25 price point is more appropriate given what this game isn't, but for me as a fan of these films, the experience has been damn near priceless.

I went in without any prior knowledge and damn near shat myself the first time I encountered the Burning Godzilla vs 2014 Godzilla level.

My only fanboy gripe is the absence of Millennium Godzilla. They have Millennium Gigan and Kiryu in there, but not that particular Godzilla?!?!?

Camjo-Z

I finally got this in the PSN sale. $12 is about what this game is worth anyway, can't believe they tried to sell it at $60...

Well, this is definitely a game for the fans like so many in this topic have claimed, although I still feel like they could have done more with it. The monsters all look and feel as heavy and awesome as you'd expect, and the spectacle of seeing buildings crumble at your feet is pretty great, but the combat is what really sinks it. Thanks to the tiny movesets (well, except for Godzilla, who you have to spending ages grinding for materials to upgrade) you basically spend most of your time trying to lock the opponent into a cheap infinite combo and using your counter move whenever they do the same. It gets even worse when they throw obnoxiously overpowered 100M kaiju at you while you're only 60M or so, there's pretty much no option but to constantly back off and spam your breath attack since your normal moves have little to no effect on them.

It's definitely the best Godzilla game so far, and I tend to enjoy these sorts of grindy, simplistic games, but I can see why it got trash reviews.

Found the PS4 version today for $13.98 at Target. It's not in the regular gaming section - you'll have to look for the clearance shelf. That's usually located in the back of the store somewhere - between the movie/games/books section and the wall. For that price, it's worth the gamble IMO. YMMV as always, of course.

dangeROSS

It was a decent game. The controls were funky and things are a bit repetitive, but it's good fun if your a Godzilla fan. I hope they build upon the idea and make a improved sequel down the road.

Top Bottom