• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GoldenEye 007 unbanned in Germany after direct action from Nintendo

ManaByte

Animated GIF

Banned
mhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...
:pie_thinking: :pie_thinking: :pie_thinking: :pie_thinking: :pie_thinking: :pie_thinking: :pie_thinking: :pie_thinking:
could this be the first signs of the remaster actually being released after all this time???

if this is only so they can release it on their dogshit emulator on Switch then this is the most useless thing anyone has ever done...

Last edited:

clem84

Gold Member
This is clearly a sign that something is going on. I really hope this doesn't end up being a stupid rom dump on Switch.

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
I'd rather a release of the cancelled HD remaster over a ROM dump from Nintendo
Are there any articles on the cancelled remaster? Didn't realise it was being worked on...I'd love me some online Goldeneye like there was on the Wii...

Last edited:
Um why was it banned in the first place? Germany bans call of duty and Battlefield then as well I'm assuming?
No, they don't. At least not anymore. But back in the 90s any first-person game where you actively kill people was likely to be denied an age rating and therefore a proper release in Germany.

Note that strictly speaking, this isn't actually a ban. These games were still legal to be sold to and owned by adults, but they were not allowed to be advertised or displayed openly.

blacktout

Goldeneye always had a pretty low framerate. How low can it go with the streaming version (based on Mario Kart and Star Fox)?

Wait, are the N64 Switch Online games streaming? I thought they were ROMs running on a (shitty, unoptimized) custom emulator.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
This is network latency, not bad emulation:

Notice the connection error message at the bottom of the screen.

Because he's playing online multiplayer there, with a bad connection at that (for games not designed for online, which is always going to be less than ideal, but still), the games aren't streamed.

Still, hope they fix the emulation, I don't recall the Wii Virtual Console having such inaccuracy issues (or at least they weren't noted back then, who knows) as seen in games on the Switch, I wonder if they ported that emulator or tried to make a whole new one for no reason with bad results.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Because he's playing online multiplayer there, with a bad connection at that (for games not designed for online, which is always going to be less than ideal, but still), the games aren't streamed.

Still, hope they fix the emulation, I don't recall the Wii Virtual Console having such inaccuracy issues (or at least they weren't noted back then, who knows) as seen in games on the Switch, I wonder if they ported that emulator or tried to make a whole new one for no reason with bad results.

Even single player has input lag:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Yes, input lag (which also exists in plenty native games on pretty much every system and always sucks) is a wholly different thing to network lag. The games aren't streamed. Stop spreading fud (which has nothing to do with pointing out the very real issues people should be trashing it all for) 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

ManaByte

I guess, but I've heard so many people say they can't wait to finally play Goldeneye without screen-looking. I'm just setting expectations.

Well if Nintendo ever allows Rare to release Goldeneye HD, then they could. Until then they have to deal with split screen.

ManaByte

GoldenEye HD with Online multiplayer between Nintendo and Microsoft 🤔

Apparently Activision was the one who killed the 360 release. They don't have the Bond license anymore (IO does). Maybe IO is going to allow it because THEY WANT TO PLAY IT TOO and we'll get it on Switch and Xbox.

Banned
Um why was it banned in the first place? Germany bans call of duty and Battlefield then as well I'm assuming?

back in the old days many violent games were banned or heavily censored in germany.
Goldeneye specifically was banned because of its dynamic death animations that "glorified violence" or some shit.

this doesn't happen anymore, hence why it was unbanned. no game these days gets banned anymore for violence.

there was a rapid change in the policies of the BPjM back in the day, while Goldeneye was banned, Perfect Dark never got banned... and games like Max Payne 2, which literally makes killing people look as cool as possible, even encourages you to kill people as cool as possible, also never got banned.

I think it was simply the case of older people that were responsible for age ratings got replaced with younger people and policies changed due to the fact that the younger people grew up with videogames, when old ones didn't.

to get banned in germany nowadays you really have to push things beyond reasonable, basically to the point where a game would get an AO rating in the US, or actually even beyond that I bet.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

People have got to get over this game. It was great for the time but my god. Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

I do hope it comes for those that want it though

BlackTron

People have got to get over this game. It was great for the time but my god. Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

I got over the N64 game because it has aged terribly, but that is exactly why we need a remake. The missions were really fun and the music is GOD tier.

A graphical facelift, more than 20FPS and updated control scheme would do WONDERS to resurrect this classic game.

Years ago my friends and I took matters into our own hands and played LAN Half Life with a 007 Facility map, and I looped the facility music on Winamp lol. It actually really sold it and showed how good Goldeneye could be in a different engine.

Dream-Knife

Banned

Nope, still the GOAT.

Well PD has the better multiplayer.

I guess, but I've heard so many people say they can't wait to finally play Goldeneye without screen-looking. I'm just setting expectations.
Screen looking made it better because you always knew where everyone was.

Last edited:

Quasicat

I would imagine that this was in negotiations between Nintendo and Microsoft. What I wonder is, what did Microsoft get in return. I would think money on royalties or even access to the remaster means nothing for Microsoft. They want Xcloud on the Switch. There is probably a lot of market research within Microsoft that shows more Game Pass Ultimate sell through if they can get Nintendo on board with the Switch.

As already pointed out “ban” is the wrong word. It was not allowed to be openly marketed or advertised to protect children from it. However it was fully legal to still sale the game under the counter.

So back in the day you would go to your favorite game shop, ask for it and they would be allowed to sell it to you if you can prove your age. I also still remember the times before the internet, you would order often via the phone at a shop and they would show their games and prices in a print magazine. If you would send them a copy of your passport or driver license via post or fax, they would send you their complete list of games including the indexed ones.

Well these days they don’t do that anymore and you Dan openly market newer games with a lot of violence, but you are still required to prove your age if the title has been rated 18 years or older.

I don’t benefit from it anymore, I left Germany 12 years ago and moved to Japan and ironically a lot of games get censored here, also sexual things, which is different from Germany who were very open about sexual things but not about violence.

Porcile

Personally I didn't like a lot of what they did with the visuals of the HD remaster. I still prefer the original version.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
A graphical facelift, more than 20FPS and updated control scheme would do WONDERS to resurrect this classic game.

done

60 FPS, mouse control, better graphics

the game aged gracefully, the console it was released on hasn't. the low FPS and weird control scheme are a result of the limitations of the N64 hardware. emulate the game (original or XBLA remaster), install the mod and you have the game you asked for.

Last edited by a moderator:

Banned
As already pointed out “ban” is the wrong word. It was not allowed to be openly marketed or advertised to protect children from it. However it was fully legal to still sale the game under the counter.

So back in the day you would go to your favorite game shop, ask for it and they would be allowed to sell it to you if you can prove your age. I also still remember the times before the internet, you would order often via the phone at a shop and they would show their games and prices in a print magazine. If you would send them a copy of your passport or driver license via post or fax, they would send you their complete list of games including the indexed ones.

Well these days they don’t do that anymore and you Dan openly market newer games with a lot of violence, but you are still required to prove your age if the title has been rated 18 years or older.

I don’t benefit from it anymore, I left Germany 12 years ago and moved to Japan and ironically a lot of games get censored here, also sexual things, which is different from Germany who were very open about sexual things but not about violence.

so Goldeneye was only on the A index list? I thought it was on the B list (actually banned)

Top Bottom