• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good games with one terrible level (Spider-Man 2)

calder

The classic is of course Zen from Half-Life. I didn't hate Zen as much as most but it definitely was a letdown after the greatness of Black Mesa.

Mild spoilers for Spider-Man 2 (game):

But I just finished Chapter 9 in Spidey2 and all I can say is "WTF was that shit?" The initial attack in the theatre was pretty sucky, but the Statue of Liberty section is SO BAD. Took me half an hour, no real clue what you're supposed to be doing at first, incredibly boring solution (swing swing swing swing hit stupid orb swing swing swing miss orb fall slowly work way back up to top swing swing) it's all bad. Just getting to the island by swinging on those floating platforms was painful and repetitive.

It didn't help that all Mysterio's "alien" stuff looked ugly as hell - it actually reminded me of Zen's terribly lackluster visuals. Maybe the whole level with the ugly, generic looking organic alien crap, force fields to shut down, stupid endless platforming and pulsing brains to punch was an elaborate HL homage. :p

The only good thing about this level is that when you get back to the city just moving around seems so much more free and whaling on yet another carjacker seems fun as hell.

I loved Soldier of Fortune II, but the stealth level(s) (can't remember if there were more than one) ruined the whole.

The dream sequences in Max Payne.

Galaron

EA guy that we like
I second the Statue of Liberty level in S-M2 - I almost quit playing because of that horrible design.

Another classic bad level was all the zombie bashing in the original Thief. It's like they were afraid no one would like the stealth element, so they threw in some awful melee work to hedge their bets.

I thought that the Doc Ock boss fight was the worst level in the game, personally. Though, that Statue of Liberty level was pretty irritating at first.

calder

Ooh, the Max Payne 1 dream sequence was pretty amazingly bad.

I know some ppl who liked it, but I HATED the parachuting level of No One Lives Forever. It was a small level, but I had a ton of trouble with it and got stuck there for a fair while until I finally fluked my way through.

And I don't know how many ppl played Galerians, but the first boss was not balanced at all - I spent more time on that first boss than all other bosses combined. It's like they didn't realize the powers they gave him made him much, much more formidable to a low level char than any other boss or enemy encounter. The endgame was a breeze in comparison.

shibbs

Im playing Kingdom hearts now and wtf is up with this "Gummi" ship.
The flights as so boring and it looks awefull. It doesnt fit in with the polisched look of the game.

siege

Banned
All the boss fights in Spider-man 2 were terrible. Looking back in hindsight, aside from swinging around the city, the game sucked in general.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
siege said:
All the boss fights in Spider-man 2 were terrible. Looking back in hindsight, aside from swinging around the city, the game sucked in general.

for serious.

The shitty "level" in spiderman 2 was any thing in the game besides swingin around the city.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
=( The Spider-Man 2 hype was certainly gone awry. After going through my five day rental I'm certainly very glad I didn't pick this game up. Hell going through the city itself is much more enjoyable than doing any of the side missions. The game proper has some enjoyable parts but the rest of it was so mundane and boring. Some parts of the game were so vividly different then what occured in Spider-Man 2 it's rather comical. It might be the developers fault or the fact that they didn't have anything accurate enough to base it off of. I'm speaking strictly about the movie scenes, not the side parts like Mysterio et-al.

Bigfoot

Not the whole level, but that one goal in SMS with the ferris wheel in the Amusment Park. It was the camera that ruined that level, and I think it's the only time I had problems with the camera in SMS, otherwise the camera was perfect*

*if you knew how to use it properly!

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Super mario Sunshine. The final path to bowser where you had to use that boat in the lava...WTF.

impirius

Fully agree about the Statue of Liberty level in Spider-Man 2. Almost quit on the game during that one.

Halo: The Library
SMS: Amusement park (camera trouble)
OOT: Water Temple (not really terrible, but frustrating)
MK2: Kintaro

Oh fuck, this statue of liberty level is COMPLETE FUCKING BULLSHIT. Worst fucking "boss" level I've ever fucking played in my life. This is seriously fucking fucked.

Lakitu said:
Halo: Combat Evolved - The Library

Sadly much of the latter-half of Halo suffered from terrible level design :( It was still an amazing game. I would have rather had all the levels be as well designed as The Silent Cartographer and Assault on the Control Room though.

gblues

Banned
I remember back in the NES days that it was an unwritten rule that World 6 was always the hardest. In SMB you had World 6, the ice world. The 6th dungeon in Zelda was a pain in the butt. World 6 in 3-d Worldrunner with all those damn fire pillars was hell. And so on.

Nathan

ManDudeChild said:
Sadly much of the latter-half of Halo suffered from terrible level design :( It was still an amazing game. I would have rather had all the levels be as well designed as The Silent Cartographer and Assault on the Control Room though.

Aside from the Library, they pretty much were EXACTLY the same. Except backwards. :p

ElyrionX

Well the Statue of Liberty fight sucked but the Doc Ock final boss fight sucked even more. I dropped into the water millions of times.......

Zachack

Dead to Rights: Prison level. I know a lot of people who stopped playing right there and never got to see how awesome the game gets once you get past that horrible, horrible level.

Ristamar

Zachack said:
Dead to Rights: Prison level. I know a lot of people who stopped playing right there and never got to see how awesome the game gets once you get past that horrible, horrible level.

I am glad I snagged Dead to Rights at the CC sale. I've had a great time with it over the last few days. You're right, though. Too much crappy hand-to-hand combat on that level, but it didn't discourage me. I think I'm on Chapter 13 right now.

Anyway, I'm only on Chapter 4 in Spider-man 2 (just started it yesterday). I've enjoyed what I've seen so far. I don't know if I would've paid $50 for it (actually, I know I WOULDN'T have), but for $30 I feel I'm getting my money's worth.

IJoel

siege said:

I completely agree with this.

Cold Shadow said:
Yeah, it's a shame that that path is hard then the actual boss.

WEAKSAUCES!

I remember loathing the spider boss in Megaman X on Zigmas' fortress back in the day. Since I'm in a megaman kinda mood I played the game yesterday til the end, i made that damn spider my bitch on the first try with plenty of life to spare... I guess the hardest boss would be the end boss at Zombies Ate by Neighbors, man that game was so awesome... and freakin' long!!! I wonder how many people actually got to see Dr. Whatshisname at the end.

Top Bottom