• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Spider Man 2 | Review Thread

What Scores do you think Spider Man 2 wil get?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

damidu

oh my! this whole mc thing is already a clown show mainly,
but this is some next level shit.

so they can basically assign numbers out of their ass based on "feels"

forget that it goes against the very intent of a non-scored review.
I'd like these morons to explain how a review reads like 83, but not 82 or 84.

yeah time to burn it to the ground.

Last edited:

Puscifer

It's funny how many people have a clear agenda and are perpetually butt hurt about Naughty Dog and their success..

They released their massive AAA game in 2020 whereas Insomniac released their game in 2018. Insomniac followed that up with games that utilize the same engines and largely iterated on prior releases.

Uncharted 4 has a 93 and TLOU2 has a 93.

This is Insomniac's first 90 in 20 years and none of their games have reached as high as the previously mentioned games.

Uncharted 2 has a 96...

People who are trying to compare Insomniac and Naughty Dog are absolutely clueless. Naughty Dog's track record is clear and their games take more time to make but deliver significantly more critically and financially than Insomniac games and Naughty Dog owns their IP whereas Insomniac doesn't own Spider-Man.

For all we know, there won't be a Spider-Man 3... it all comes down to negotiations between Marvel and Sony. Obviously, they'll work something out, but that's not a sure thing.
This post is fucking hilarious

CamHostage

No they did with that review. Someone in the thread found a policy that they do that now with unscored game but I don't think they ever did it. So either this is new or they handpicked the games tho.

They always did that, for at least 10 years. To MetaCritic, there's no value to including a review if it doesn't affect the Meta, so they make up a score (based on some parameters, but it's by their choice what they score it, not the reviewer.

(So does RottenTomatoes, but RT has a cleaner pass/fail scale and so it's less hinky in most opinions.)

There are reviews from sites I have never even heard of. What happened to selecting based on traffic and userbase and shit like that?

That was never MetaCritic's policy, they do things by volume on purpose. On the positive side, it creates a more wholescale average with reviews you can pull out if you want to read the top or bottom scores for a full range of opinions (which is supposed to be the point of MetaCritic,) but on the negative, there's no "Top Critics" to get reviews from critics people have trusted over time.

Loxus

91 Metascore after 130 Critics.
I think it's safe to say that's the final score.
PRCp6PR.jpg

ckaneo

Honestly I didn't care about the review score until I got second hand embarrassment from the thought of that Insomniac dev tweeting that only for it to fall to an 89.

Hopefully they can keep the 90+. It's such an arbitrary number but if it makes them happy

Really though starfield would get goty couple months ago but think this is going to spidrtman congrats insomniac true masters in game development
Neither win GOTY imo.

Starfield will be fighting just for a nomination at this point I feel like.

Both will likely win a few of the hundreds of GOTY awards given out I suppose. I'm talking more about Keighley's thing and some of the largest outlets.

RAIDEN1

Even though I mildly curious to check this game out after playing the previous two, I think if they ever release it on PC and don't bodge the port then I will check it out there whenever I eventually upgrade my decade old PC.....no plans on getting a PS5 just for this, let alone the "questionable" slim PS5...

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Seems like some great scores, but I rarely really fit with what the "review industry" is saying about a game.

I enjoyed the 1st game and I don't really need to read reviews to check out the 2nd. I want more action, more enemies to fight for more upgrades, that type of thing..

Caio

91 on both Meta and Open critic.

10/10 from IGN Portugal.

""I could label Marvel's Spider-Man 2 as one of the best PlayStation 5 games, but the truth is that would be an understatement because Insomniac's sequel has gone straight into my top of the best games ever. The depth of the city, which has been expanded with additional districts, is impressive, the gameplay is always enjoyable and so is the combat. Marvel and Insomniac have outdone themselves on the narrative side, with a story about tragedy, overcoming, friendship and love. I can find room for improvement, in the AI of some opponents and in certain facial animations, for example, details that don't detract from what is an absolute masterpiece that we as gamers should applaud, hoping for more.""

Last edited:

Thief1987

Even though I mildly curious to check this game out after playing the previous two, I think if they ever release it on PC and don't bodge the port then I will check it out there whenever I eventually upgrade my decade old PC.....no plans on getting a PS5 just for this, let alone the "questionable" slim PS5...
Thanks for letting us know

Last edited:

graywolf323

Is that the only playstation centric review?
though I think you’re likely being disingenuous I’ll go ahead and humor you

from what I’ve found on OpenCritic, these are the only PlayStation sites gave the game a 90 or higher

PlayStation Universe gave it a 100 (one of twenty-one (!!!) perfect scores so far)
PSX Brasil gave it a 95 (one of thirteen 9.5s the game has received)
then you also have PlayStation Lifestyle that gave it a 90

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
though I think you’re likely being disingenuous I’ll go ahead and humor you

from what I’ve found on OpenCritic, these are the only PlayStation sites gave the game a 90 or higher

PlayStation Universe gave it a 100 (one of twenty-one (!!!) perfect scores so far)
PSX Brasil gave it a 95 (one of thirteen 9.5s the game has received)
then you also have PlayStation Lifestyle that gave it a 90

Why would I be being disingenuous? Disingenuous about what?

Can't wait to fire it up this weekend.

Fake

So, Metacritic is good again?

GOTY should go to BG3. Game was actually good and progressed the genre. Spiderman only expands visually, but is otherwise the same generic gameplay loop we've seen for over a decade in the genre.

Still vote for Zelda, but if I would guess, unless Alan Wake 2 hit (not trusting this, but anw), will be Zelda, BG3, Mario and Spider-Man.

Last edited:

Mortisfacio

So, Metacritic ia good again?

Still vote for Zelda, but if I would guess, unless Alan Wake 2 hit (not trusting this, but anw), will be Zelda, BG3, Mario and Spider-Man.

Could be Zelda. I personally didn't finish ToTK as I got bored, but I understand the unparalleled love the industry has for Nintendo.

Top Bottom