• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Stadia will be “faster and more responsive” than local gaming hardware

Portugeezer

My reaction to Google when I read this BS.

ldh0hPT.gif

Last edited:
Google’s VP of engineering for Stadia, Madj Bakar said that Stadia will outperform any current or future gaming console or gaming PC using artificial intelligence.
Yeah, like I said — bold claim. Bakar went ahead and talked a little bit about how Stadia plans on not only competing but actually outperforming high-end gaming PCs and gaming consoles. What he talked about, he’s calling “Negative Latency”. Basically, Google Stadia will use AI to predict a gamer’s actions(LMAO), and try to pre-render and pre-load frames for that particular action before the player even takes the action.(ROFL) This way, when the player actually performs the action, the frames and everything to go with it will already be ready to be displayed, resulting in latency-free performance.(LOL WUT?)

I believe the name Google should have gone with for their A.I. is "Negative Gameacy".

As in, Gamers will negatively view the scam that is Stadia ,and ignore it completely, while continuing to purchase their quality home consoles and gaming PC's, and likely won't even spare a though on the possible consideration of purchasing a Stadia sub. ;)

My commentary within the quote in Red.

That is even worse than the power of the cloud thing!

Their PR people are definitely on fire, the kind of things they are saying never ends well, either it's not true, or it doesn't work (I.E. the AI doesn't predict what I actually meant to do... which in fact may help me!)

Woo-Fu

Banned
It isn't a PR person though, it is a VP of engineering telling great big lies. If Google had hired Aaron Greenberg I'd expect quotes like this from marketing, but not from engineering.

Last edited:

Keihart

I believe the name Google should have gone with for their A.I. is "Negative Gameacy".

As in, Gamers will negatively view the scam that is Stadia ,and ignore it completely, while continuing to purchase their quality home consoles and gaming PC's, and likely won't even spare a though on the possible consideration of purchasing a Stadia sub. ;)

My commentary within the quote in Red.
well...the idea of predicting players actions has always being part of the ideal netcode to mask latency, but if you predict to far ahead then you end up having to roll back because of the inaccuracy of the prediction, the simplier the inputs the easier it is to mask it, having said that...hahahaha wtf are they smoking?! this is some true power of the cloud spin. Maybe they do have some magic sauce for it tho...who knows, right?

Grinchy

Banned
I do wonder if any developers are going to spend a fortune creating games that use multiple Stadia hardware nodes so that it can do things that no single PC or console can do. Is there any money in that? I guess there could be. And would Google want a larger cut of the game sales if you did make a game that did this?

well...the idea of predicting players actions has always being part of the ideal netcode to mask latency, but if you predict to far ahead then you end up having to roll back because of the inaccuracy of the prediction, the simplier the inputs the easier it is to mask it, having said that...hahahaha wtf are they smoking?! this is some true power of the cloud spin. Maybe they do have some magic sauce for it tho...who knows, right?
Netcode even has it easier. The netcode doesn't have to predict the player's inputs, it just predicts where you'll be shortly in the future and even then it often screws up, leading to people getting shot round a corner when they haven't even rounded it yet. Accurately predicting the player's inputs is an impossibility.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Riiiiiiiiight. Keep peddling your gobbledy gook Google.

Keihart

Netcode even has it easier. The netcode doesn't have to predict the player's inputs, it just predicts where you'll be shortly in the future and even then it often screws up, leading to people getting shot round a corner when they haven't even rounded it yet. Accurately predicting the player's inputs is an impossibility.
Fighting games do have to do their best to predict inputs, for example, like predicting if you are blocking or not until the data arrives and then rolling back if necessary.
Position is like just the first thing to predict, i remember in WoW being a pretty glaring issue when PvPing someone with a lot of lag. You could watch them fall off a cliff and then teleport back lol.

OaCSmZf.jpg

EVO 2017: GGPO PANE

Last edited:
I believe this to be possible as they could be upgrading all the time. Your box just streams. If they upgrade Stadia every year then it could very well do that.

Would it make me want to play games on it? No.

jts

...hate me...
I mean, AI is getting wild and Google does have the money and resources to unlimitedly pour into this until it works, yeah. You guys comparing it to small potatoes like Ouya are nuts lol

Lort

Banned
Huge problems with this...

A) games do this anyway for netcode all the time
B) Multiplayer games have thousands of possible combinations within a few frames ahead
C) Pre-rendering doesn't actually reduce Gpu load it increases is as u have to render multiple frames

Also anything google can do microsoft can do better ( except search of course lol)

Yoboman

This may be the stupidest thing I’ve ever read

So they expect to game devs to create AI that predicts every plausible action a player could take at any given time for every millisecond of every frame, complete behavioural analysis on the likely next action with 100% accuracy and send it hundreds of kilometres from a server to perfectly match the actual action a player makes

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Current performance for me on odyssey (admittedly this is single player game so...maybe not relevant to this thread) is better than both xonex and ps4pro.

I put about 90 hours into the PS4 pro version 15 into Xbox1x version and 50 hours in the pc version.

Playing through the first 10 hours with the beta on stadia was great! No FPS drops for me anyway and felt like it was pegged at 60fps (playing on a 144hrz monitor though).

All my PCs are monsters, so I will say I had the best exp playing In 4K on a 2080 using a Samsung 8000 series tv.

Internet is a solid 700+ up/down mbps and all my hardware is wired (when possible).

Hopefully anyone who is interested will give it a go...time will tell how larger player numbers impact performance.

Last edited:

LostDonkey

It sounds a lot like quantum superposition but for gaming. Quantum computing can do this for calculations and google does have a D Wave 🤔

Last edited:

theclaw135

Banned
It's Google. They have the mountains of cash to run games on supercomputers whose computational power won't be seen in homes in our (insert greeeeat here) grandchilden's lifetimes. The graphics quality and rendering framerates probably will be incredible.

But I'm less convinced about predictive AI

Keihart

TBH it is more plausible that they can reduce latency in MP games by they becoming the servers themselves in games that use peer to peer connections. Like, you enter a 1v1 match against someone also playing in Stadia, maybe they can reduce the latency between you and the other player since all their servers could be somehow connected with some minimum QoS, then again, even this sounds like a leap. I'm not saying that is impossible, i'm just saying that they should show the receipts because it does sounds highly improbable, even on optimal conditions. It sounds like power of the cloud, plausible but highly impractical.

A.Romero

Google is treating their potential customers like idiots.

I normally like them but they are really fucking this up.

pr0cs

I like a lot of google services, but they're so blatantly wrong when it comes to gaming that it hurts.
To be honest a lot of the 'cloud' shit is so driven by hype they believe their own baloney.
Most of the people selling 'cloud services' don't really understand what they're selling and underestimate who their customers are

Last edited:

Three

Just to clear up some confusion that the article seems to create. The game isn't playing itself. I believe what it does is it predicts and sends a frame before you have sent the input that generates that frame so that it can show you it without a roundtrip. input>server>render>you. Technically what they say is possible but I'm not sure I would want that future. This is why they mention ultra high framerates helping latency because it will mean you have the next frame rendered and sent to you fast before your actual input.
So yeah it might be more responsive but it may mean changes in ways games control to make it more predictable and I don't want that future.

Three

Ok so google will predict what to do soooooooooo.... google will know if I’m going to dash and go for a c.LP in a fighting game or better yet will google know if I’m gonna DHC into infinite combo? This shit sounds dumb.
That would actually be possible based on ML and your past gameplay. It won't know all the time but the more you play the more it can predict what you will do. The same prediction used for rendering the next frame can be used for AI in games that will probably whoop everyone's ass.

Last edited:

Hudo

While I get their argument(s), I rather take my old-ass PC and my Switch with games that I physically own than a Google-provided streaming service. And even in the hypothetical scenario where I'd be onboard with all this digital-only streaming stuff (which I will never be), Germany's infrastructure is so crappy that I severely doubt that I could stream games at 4K/60fps, unless they have come up with encoding methods using neural-network stuff for predictive pre-caching (would be interesting to know what kind of data sets they used for training) and really reliable input prediction for given game states (also probably neural network based). And since neither our politicians nor Deutsche Telekom want to invest (or even hinder investment initiatives like the 5G towers based on Huawei equipment) Also, I don't really want to sign up for any Google service anymore.

But I can see the appeal. For people who don't care about physical games, game ownership and using a Google service and want to have the convenience that a subscription-based service brings, Stadia seems like a solid option, provided they live in an area that has the necessary internet infrastructure in place.

Last edited:
"My name is Google Stadia, and I am the fastest device alive. To the outside world I'm an ordinary gaming device, but secretly, with the help of my friends at Google Labs, I fight thought-crimes and find other communists like me. In an attempt to stop the evil shysters, Consoles, I was accidentally thrust into the future, and I saw them murder the gaming that I love. But I won't let that happen. I'm gonna do everything in my power to change the future, and I'm the only one fast enough to keep gaming alive. I am Google Stadia."

BReOHmR.jpg

jufonuk

not tag worthy
go into an area with a shitty wifi signal and tell me again about performance?

online, genki all the others where are they now??

ffs stop this streaming games shit, what about people playing an aeroplane how can they do it? with a great internet connection?

unless google roll out high speed free wifi worldwide/undersea/in a cave/ in the air/ underground stadia wont be much more than a different but more expensive way to play games without buying a pc but you might as well get a console/switch or pc instead, meh

Boss Mog

Well Google, if you have an AI that can "predict" my actions and play for me, then I guess you don't need me. Works out great.

Thaedolus

At some point this just comes down to the laws of physics. Data transfer takes time. Distance between points increases that time. Yes, the speed of light is incredibly fast, but it's not infinitely so. I may not be able to perceive the difference between the latency of my inputs having to go a mile or two away then returning to my display as an output vs my wired mouse and keyboard into my PC outputting to my 1ms 144hz monitor (though I'd take that Pepsi challenge), but I really doubt I'll have a Stadia data center a mile or two away.

For a lot of modern cinematic games that don't require precise timing/inputs, that all could be fine. That could seem great for a more casual audience, but I spent like $700 on my gsync monitor right when the tech came out, I spent like $750 on my current GPU and at least that much on the rest of my PC. I've got a 200 pound, 20 year old CRT sitting behind me right now because I find input lag so annoying when I hook up an old console to a modern TV. There's probably an audience for Stadia but it probably aint me.

And the idea that they need to develop an AI to account for latency is just proof latency is a problem.

Last edited:
Top Bottom