• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOP Congressman Compares Rowdy Town Halls To Yelling Mobs Of 'Orientals'

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry..._58b8a52fe4b0b99894163f33?section=us_politics

Asked by The Southern Illinoisan about his decision not to hold an in-person town hall, Rep. Mike Bost (R-Ill.) described the raucous protests that have erupted at town halls across the country as ”out of control."

”You know the cleansing that the Orientals used to do where you'd put one person out in front and 900 people yell at them?" he reportedly asked the daily newspaper's editorial board. ”That's not what we need. We need to have meetings with people that are productive."

So, he's trying to equate town halls with angry constituents to that of struggle sessions that took place in China during the cultural revolution. You know, when the authoritative dictator literally used his citizens to brutally beat, torture, and murder anyone they thought was standing in the way of progress of the state (Well, Mao)? In his mind it was just 'orientals' yelling at anyone who disagreed with them.

His response:
”While there was no malicious intent, I regret that my words may have distracted from an important point," he told the publication. ”When the booing and shouting drowns out the conversation we're trying to have with our constituents, it becomes that much harder to govern."

This guy needs to watch less Boris Karloff movies.

MaskofFuManchu38.png

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
He misspoke guys, he was going to use a dated racial slur for angry blacks but instead insulted the Chinese by mistake.

“When the booing and shouting drowns out the conversation we’re trying to have with our constituents, it becomes that much harder to govern.”

It couldn't be possibly be that the booing is in response to the way you're trying to govern.

BlitzKeeg

"Orientals"? My gosh...is everyone on the GOP living in another time line?

Yes. And they're trying as hard as they can to drag the rest of us back into it.

I'm kinda glad these racist pricks are acting so smug and avoiding meetings. They're ensuring they won't be around after the next election cycle.

Savitar

Hahahaha....wow.

Wow.

So clueless isn't he.

The Republicans certainly don't mind it when the angry mobs are against the other side, but when it's theirs, suddenly it's a horrible thing.

Funny that.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I guess he expects people to go down quietly as y'all try to take away people's healthcare, rights and more? Is that the kind of governing he expects people to be cool about?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Amazing that he used a pretty educated reference (at least I never heard of it and I really enjoy history) but still fucked it up with a racial slur

What is this early 1900s....Like you're only in your 50s dude, if you was was like 120-40 years old I would get the antiquated terminology but now....really?

Buckle

”While there was no malicious intent, I regret that my words may have distracted from an important point," he told the publication. ”When the booing and shouting drowns out the conversation we're trying to have with our constituents, it becomes that much harder to govern."
Translation: Be more docile so we can go back to pretending its business as usual and that our country hasn't started taking a sharp right turn to crazy town since the election.

Please don't talk back while we govern people. That is not nice. What a clown.

And "Orientals"... dude is stuck in the 40s or something.

Kephar

Amazing that he used a pretty educated reference (at least I never heard of it and I really enjoy history) but still fucked it up with a racial slur

I suppose 'oriental' is outdated but I've never heard it being used as a slur, at least in the U.S.

“While there was no malicious intent, I regret that my words may have distracted from an important point,” he told the publication. “When the booing and shouting drowns out the conversation we’re trying to have with our constituents, it becomes that much harder to govern.”
Republicans have made it clear as day they have no interest in holding conversations with or listening to the people they supposedly represent. Remember how your party outright ignored the literal millions of complaints against Betsy DeVos and confirmed her anyway?

Fuchsdh

I suppose 'oriental' is outdated but I've never heard it being used as a slur, at least in the U.S.

Yeah, it's not really on its face. Just a generic term to refer to easterners.

The fact that he negatively compared his constituents to orientals, however, suggests he did in fact mean it as an insult.

Its more of just very antiquated and been used to described otherness of those living in the East. If used now its much more prefered it to not refer to a people but a broad geographical area as in "Oriental institute at Oxford"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom