• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOTY Debate |OT| Everyone is wrong!

ornery

Figured I'd make an OT about GOTY. 2017 has been a fantastic year for gaming:

· Yakuza 0
· Super Mario: Odyssey
· RE7
· Nioh
· Prey
· Horizon: Zero Dawn
· Zelda: BOTW
· Neir: Automata
· Persona 5
· Player Unknown: Battlegrounds
· Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
· Sonic Mania
· Uncharted: Lost Legacy
· Gran Turismo: Sport
· Destiny 2
· Divinity: Original Sin 2
· Cuphead
· Evil Within 2

amdb00mer

I haven't played everything on that list yet, but I would say, Mario Odyssey, Zelda: BOTW, Horizon: ZD, and Cuphead are strong contenders.

Ultimadrago

Can't we discuss this when Game of the Year voting comes around?

It has been a fantastic year though (especially compared to last year), yes.

Phear

It's easily Odyssey and/or BOTW. Even though i loved every single bit of Nioh, it's nowhere up there with Nintendo Goodness.

xviper

it has been a great year for gaming, but there is no competition for GOTY because Zelda wiped the floor with every game released this year

wow - i feel shitty. i've only played 2 of those games listed in the op. granted i typically stay 6-18 months behind on releases which would explain why, but still.

anyways neither persona or botw is GOTY material imo.

Mario Odyssey wins. Period.

/thread
What debate looks like in 2017

I can’t disagree yet, still have yet to finish the game but I’m leaning toward Horizon at this point. The only other game I’ve yet to beat is PREY, but I don’t expect I’ll get to it before year’s end.

firelogic

Horizon because of the excellent combat, ludicrous graphics, great story, great new protagonist, and a huge unexpected surprise from Guerilla.

Proofmaster

Neo Member
I think BOTW will be GOTY without a doubt. Mario is my second pick and while the game is great BOTW still has something special.

Jumpman23

If either of the two highest rated games doesn’t get the nod this year, shame. Odyssey and BotW are some of the best 2017 has seen if not the last few years.

icam_17

God what a year. I bet it's going to come down to Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, Horizon Zero Dawn, Nier, and maybe Cuphead. My money is on Odyssey. That game is just so much fun!!

Neverwas

My top 3 of the year would be HZD, RE7 w/ VR, and Mario Odyssey. For some reason, BOTW just hasn't kept me engaged.

HyGogg

Banned
Right now there are three main games in the running for me:

Lone Echo
Persona 5
Mario Odyssey

Zelda was good but didn't blow me away like those others did. I haven't played Horizon or Nier yet.

I havent played any of the games in the OP either. I really want to play Neir, but I dont own a PS4 and heard the PC port was bad.

RootCause

I've played 7 games from that list. My favorite is Horizon easily. Probably the best combat this entire generation.

Also, RE7 gets shit on a lot. But that game was amazing, best Resident Evil game since 4.

I think Prey still edges out Odyssey for me. Both are master class at level design but Prey did some amazing things with it's story and narrative that kept me engrossed throughout my playthrough.

Brizzo24

· Yakuza 0
· RE7
· Nioh
· Prey
· Persona 5
· Sonic Mania
· Destiny 2
· Cuphead
· Evil Within 2

Only played those exposed. Really, I ought to play more games! Easily, for me, it's Zelda BotW. Mario is good, sometimes great, but early on it began to feel like a chore.

· Yakuza 0
· RE7
· Nioh
· Prey
· Persona 5
· Sonic Mania
· Destiny 2
· Cuphead
· Evil Within 2

BOTW is the winner here hands down, also PUBG isn't a game yet, it's still early access, get that outta here

HAdoubleRY

Neo Member
BOTW, Odyssey and Persona 5 are the games I can't stop thinking about. Only played like half those games though.

I still don't know which I would consider goty even though it's been a strong year. Probably Horizon.

I'm a fan of Zelda since the 3 on SNES and I really disliked BOTW. :/ I bought the Switch for it.

I was shocked at how dull I found BotW to be. There were a few head scratcher mechanics that didn't help.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I was shocked at how dull I found BotW to be. There were a few head scratcher mechanics that didn't help.

I recently started playing BotW and my god the the open world is sooo damn good. I finished Horizon and got 97% of the trophies and to me that game has the most boring open word game I ever played.

BibiMaghoo

Lots of good games in that list, but my pick is Horizon, easily.

Edit: This should not be 'OT'. The official topic always has an actual poll which only a mod can create, and only happens once the year is up.

ornery

Lots of good games in that list, but my pick is Horizon, easily.

Edit: This should not be 'OT'. The official topic always has an actual poll which only a mod can create, and only happens once the year is up.

That would be the official GOTY thread. This is a debate thread.

Blam

Those are indeed three wonderful contenders for second-runner-up after the dust settles between Zelda and Mario.

You're literally crazy if you're going to defend Zelda. It's not even on my top 10. BoTW is beyond shallow imo.

Top Bottom