• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOTY Debate |OT| Everyone is wrong!

I recently started playing BotW and my god the the open world is sooo damn good. I finished Horizon and got 97% of the trophies and to me that game has the most boring open word game I ever played.

Some of the areas were nicely designed, but I found it bland compared to other open worlds, especially the graphics.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Some of the areas were nicely designed, but I found it bland compared to other open worlds, especially the graphics.
each to their own, but I personally loving the BotW’s visuals. Horizon open world is pretty but there nothing to find it doesn’t reward you at all for exploring.

Ostrava04

for me atm, it's probably Horizon Zero Dawn followed closely by Nier Automata. Haven't played Oddessy yet though

SirNinja

You're literally crazy

Yes, I'm crazy for liking an incredibly well-received game. You got me. Meanwhile, your Switch cartridge taste test is completely normal and not at all insane.

if you're going to defend Zelda. It's not even on my top 10. BoTW is beyond shallow imo.

Zelda doesn't need defending (nor was I doing so, unless merely mentioning it counts now?). I'm not sure what you were doing in it, but it's about as far from shallow as shallow gets. People are still discovering crazy shit to do in it.

prag16

Banned
My list right now:

Mass Effect: Andromeda (fight me)
PUBG
Wolfenstein
UC: Lost Legacy
Horizon ZD

Battlefront 2 will probably work its way in there. Didn't play Mario Odyssey, but if I had I'm sure it'd be in here.

yurinka

In my case, more or less in order:
· Zelda: BOTW
· Super Mario: Odyssey
· RE7
· Horizon: Zero Dawn (I still have to complete it)
· Sonic Mania
· Nier: Automata (I still have to complete it)
· Hellblade

P.S.: We need a voting thread as previous years

undi

Neo Member
No Hollow Knight? What is wrong with you NeoGAF?

Hollow Knight.
Zelda BOTW.
Sonic Mania.
Hellblade.

Figured I'd make an OT about GOTY. 2017 has been a fantastic year for gaming:

· Yakuza 0
· Super Mario: Odyssey
· RE7
· Nioh
· Prey
· Horizon: Zero Dawn
· Zelda: BOTW
· Neir: Automata
· Persona 5
· Player Unknown: Battlegrounds
· Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
· Sonic Mania
· Uncharted: Lost Legacy
· Gran Turismo: Sport
· Destiny 2
· Divinity: Original Sin 2
· Cuphead
· Evil Within 2

I have two problems with this list:

Not enough Indie considerations

PUBG is still in Early Access. Giving an unfinished game Awards is a slippery slope considering the number of Unfinished games in Early Access or that were released and abandoned, bugs and all. I don't like it.

Hmm

RE7
BoTW
Nioh
Mario Odyssey
Divinity Original Sin 2

These were probably the best games i played this year. Yep i have beaten Horizon and platinumed it, it’s not on that list though. For me it was a strong 7/10 game.

Super Mario Odyssey and BotW are mediocre games. There's little challenge in beating SMO's main game, and there isn't much platforming in it either. There's also no fun in collecting power moon after power moon. SM64 took the right approach -- the number of collectibles are much more limited in SM64 and the goals you have to achieve to attain them are actual goals. SMO has many plainly placed moons and moons that could be bought if you collect enough coins to purchase them (yay, chores!). Collecting the moons is just cumbersome and boring. And sometimes the game looks low budget (especially when trudging through snow).

I already aired my grievances about BotW's dull gameplay mechanics, and that the game's just one giant chore to make some of the developer's frustrating design choices less frustrating.

I played a decent chunk of Nioh, but that game severely lacks enemy variety, and many of the enemies aren't even fun to fight. There are notable exceptions like Tachibana.

I beat Gravity Rush 2 and its DLC. There's a lot I like about it, but they also made unnecessary changes to the traversal and combat mechanics from the first fame. Episode 12 is pretty bad. The more interesting plotlines aren't expanded on either, and the last third is pretty limited. I wanted to explore the top of the pillar. There are also some annoying technical issues, mostly insane pop-in.

I beat NieR: Automata Route A and some ancillary routes. I like it for reasons outside of the gameplay. I'm going to try to finish that by the end of the year.

I quit Hollow Knight because I had my fill of playing cryptic games, and I didn't care for the map.

Games I still plan on playing through by the end of the year: Prey, Nex Machina, Matterfall, Horizon the complete edition and Danganronpa V3.

I have a good feeling about the bolded games.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
New IP, great story with the machines, open world, 10/10 graphics, great post launch DLC. All the DNA of a GAME OF THE YEAR.

Super Mario Odyssey and BotW are mediocre games. There's little challenge in beating SMO's main game, and there isn't much platforming in it either. There's also no fun in collecting power moon after power moon. SM64 took the right approach -- the number of collectibles are much more limited in SM64 and the goals you have to achieve to attain them are actual goals. SMO has many plainly placed moons and moons that could be bought if you collect enough coins to purchase them (yay, chores!). Collecting the moons is just cumbersome and boring. And sometimes the game looks low budget (especially when trudging through snow).

I already aired my grievances about BotW's dull gameplay mechanics, and that the game's just one giant chore to make some of the developer's frustrating design choices less frustrating.

I played a decent chunk of Nioh, but that game severely lacks enemy variety, and many of the enemies aren't even fun to fight. There are notable exceptions like Tachibana.

I beat Gravity Rush 2 and its DLC. There's a lot I like about it, but they also made unnecessary changes to the traversal and combat mechanics from the first fame. Episode 12 is pretty bad. The more interesting plotlines aren't expanded on either, and the last third is pretty limited. I wanted to explore the top of the pillar. There are also some annoying technical issues, mostly insane pop-in.

I beat NieR: Automata Route A and some ancillary routes. I like it for reasons outside of the gameplay. I'm going to try to finish that by the end of the year.

I quit Hollow Knight because I had my fill of playing cryptic games, and I didn't care for the map.

Games I still plan on playing through by the end of the year: Prey, Nex Machina, Matterfall, Horizon the complete edition and Danganronpa V3.

I have a good feeling about the bolded games.

You sound like you’d be a right laugh at a party.

It's not like I haven't played great games this year (Furi, Ys: Origin, Dark Souls 3: the Fire Fades Edition, Wipeout Omega, etc.), but they're not in the running.

That’s cool, was only messing around. I find it so interesting that a masterpiece to one person can be mediocre to another, really fascinating.

FireCloud

I've played, completed and really enjoyed:

Horizon: Zero Dawn
Persona 5
Nier: Automata

Out of those, I'd definitely pick Horizon for my GOTY and I thought Persona 5 and Nier: Automata were incredible. (though I don't think I liked Automata as much as Gestalt...I'm a dad and that story really resonated with me.....one of my favorite games of last gen)

To be honest, when I started Horizon, I wasn't sure I'd like it. I wandered around aimlessly for quite a while before it clicked. Once I started progressing in the story missions, I was hooked. Ended up getting the platinum which means I was really into the world GG created. I don't usually take the time to platinum a game once I've finished the story.

I'd like to play Nioh, Hellblade, Uncharted Lost Legacy, and GT: Sport if I can find the time. I have RE7 and PSVR but haven't been able to bring myself to play it. I know it is going to be an intense experience. Haven't heard much about Prey. I'll have to look into that thanks to this thread.

Heck, I'd like to play Zelda and Mario as well but I don't think I could find to time to support more than one home console with everything else I have going on.

I also completed FF:XV and The Last Guardian this year. If they had been released this year, I don't know if they would have altered my pick for GOTY. Horizon really stands out in the PS4 library this gen.

BamFuller

Neo Member
It's between Zelda and P5 for me, although those are the only 2017 games I've beat. I'm about 2/3 done with Odyssey and picked up HZD and am hoping to pick up Nier on Black Friday.

ehead

Haven't played much new games this year. I just finished BOTW last month, and I started Master mode a week ago. Game is still amazing. Same experience on my first playthrough. Odyssey is also great, I haven't finished it yet but this is like the perfect pick-up and play Mario game. I've been alternating between the two games. Definitely a tie for me for best games of the year.

PS4 GOTY, and best new IP for me is Horizon: Zero Dawn. Just an amazing game visually and mechanically. Really felt good completing the map 100%.

Spacejaws

Only played Resi 7 and Nier on fhat list :( currently playing catch up by trying to beat The Witcher 3...so see y’all next year.

goathouse774

Neo Member
Breath of the Wild does have flaws, and requires a bit of unorthodox work, but GOTY it most certainly is, broadly speaking.

I played and enjoyed the entirety of Horizon and found the monster hunting to be incredibly exhilarating, but there are some real buzzkills, too.

The fact that so many lists here include either Horizon or Zelda, but not both, really gives this debate the smell of fanboy.

To these eyes, the mistakes of Zelda are a byproduct of Nintendo just going crazy and taking risks, while Horizon's are the far more ordinary kind.

Horizon is a solid adventure and a showcase for the PS4, while Zelda is a mold-breaker that really changes how Nintendo is perceived.

I like them both, but Zelda is the fairly clear choice, and probably considerably better than Odyssey, when all is said and done.

Shifty

I think Odyssey has to take it for me. It does have its issues, such as a few genuinely awful moons, forced motion controls and about ~200 collectibles too many, but the overall level of content quality is so high that it still beats out everything else for me. The game is a love letter to every Mario game in the series.

NieR Automata takes a strong second. Really interesting themes and the various twists were clever. The combat was super slick as expected from Platinum, but ends up being broken by all the RPG systems when you hit the late game. If the game had a 'no RPG' mode with Bayonetta style balancing it might have had a shot at beating Odyssey.

BotW... Well, I enjoyed the first 20-ish hours. After that the treadmill became a bit too apparent and I rushed to Hyrule Castle so I could finish the game and hop off. Too much modern open-world design, not nearly enough Zelda.

You sound like you’d be a right laugh at a party.

With posts like this, so do you.

Hostile_18

Banned
Surprised Lost Legacy isn't getting much love. In terms of sheer fun I think I'm going to have to give that the nod.

Blam

Bahahahahahaha

Pretty sure I know exactly which console you have.

Or to be more precise, which one you don't.

And you know what. You're wrong, I own all of em. Switch, PC, Xbox, PS4, VR. I have all platforms of current entertainment infront of me and I chose those games. Not like I don't own any games, because that too I also own most if not all new releases out now.

InterMusketeer

Gold Member
For me it's probably Persona 5, though I haven't actually finished that game yet...

Zelda is pretty cool, but its last trailer was better than what we actually got. I think it is overrated, and GotY discussions should definitely not just be "Zelda, case closed."

Mario is good, but IMO not quite GotY material either.

Most of the other games I haven't played. Yet.

I think Odyssey has to take it for me. It does have its issues, such as a few genuinely awful moons, forced motion controls and about ~200 collectibles too many, but the overall level of content quality is so high that it still beats out everything else for me. The game is a love letter to every Mario game in the series.

NieR Automata takes a strong second. Really interesting themes and the various twists were clever. The combat was super slick as expected from Platinum, but ends up being broken by all the RPG systems when you hit the late game. If the game had a 'no RPG' mode with Bayonetta style balancing it might have had a shot at beating Odyssey.

BotW... Well, I enjoyed the first 20-ish hours. After that the treadmill became a bit too apparent and I rushed to Hyrule Castle so I could finish the game and hop off. Too much modern open-world design, not nearly enough Zelda.

With posts like this, so do you.

Regardless, isn't all this party talk ever so exciting?

BANGS

Banned
Figured I'd make an OT about GOTY. 2017 has been a fantastic year for gaming:

· Yakuza 0
· Neir: Automata
· Persona 5
· Fortnite(FTFY)
· Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
· Sonic Mania
· Cuphead

All these are amazing for sure...

Horizon: ZD is my pick for GoTY. I've been playing a lot of AC: Origins lately and it seems they took a lot of inspiration in how to make an awesome open world game from Horizon. It saved the AC franchise in my eyes.

RE 7, Yakuza 0, and Injustice 2 have their flaws but certainly provided the other best experiences of my year.

My caveat being I do not yet own a Switch.

Shifty1897

It's hard to argue with anyone's picks, any one of these games would have been GOTY in 2014 or 2016.

For me, it's Nier: Automata, followed by Mario Odyssey and Zelda BOTW.

Bahahahahahaha

Pretty sure I know exactly which console you have.

Or to be more precise, which one you don't.

It's as if people can't have a fucking opinion or something. I have a Switch, I have both BoTW (Which I hated) and Mario Odyssey (Which I loved) Neither are my GoTY. Get over yourself. This is like the 3rd thread I have seen you post in with this exact same bullshit.

Edit: Whoops forgot to put my GoTY. It's Divinity 2.

Blam

It's as if people can't have a fucking opinion or something. I have a Switch, I have both BoTW (Which I hated) and Mario Odyssey (Which I loved) Neither are my GoTY. Get over yourself. This is like the 3rd thread I have seen you post in with this exact same bullshit.

Edit: Whoops forgot to put my GoTY. It's Divinity 2.

He was so confident that I didn't have a Switch, but I literally just posted a thread about me licking Switch cartridges.

I'd love to put a Switch game in my GOTY but I can't nothing there really pushed me to think GOTY.

Only played Horizon and Yakuza from that list, it’s easy to see why people believe it’s the former though, still lots to play but I’ve had a great time so far. Technically it’s astounding.

Spacejaws

Wait is FFXV eligible for GOTY this year or last year? Think it would be great if Nier got it over FFXV to make Square stop and think why people would think that way and start making their game stories well written than worlds prettier.

Top Bottom