• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GQ Interview w/ Stephen Colbert on The Late Show, His Past, and Everything in Between

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mariolee

Love me some Stephen Colbert and I, much like the interviewer, found many of his responses fascinating and I actually took things from this interview that I will use to live through my daily life. Highly anticipating The Late Show now more than ever.

september-cover-gq-colbert-04.jpg

Source: http://www.gq.com/story/stephen-colbert-gq-cover-story

On Only in Monroe
They did the public-access show live at midnight, with no advance publicity and no Twitter or Facebook posts afterward. The only way the world would ever know that it happened is if someone, an insomniac or an inmate or one of the show's twelve viewers, looked up at the screen at some point and recognized Colbert hanging out with Eminem next to the potted plant. Maybe that person would tell somebody, and maybe that other person would tweet about it.

“I have to check right now to see how many people have seen this fucker,” Colbert said. “When we showed it at midnight, nobody watched it. I mean nobody.... We dug a hole in the backyard, yelled a show into it, then covered it up with dirt and said, ‘Don't tell anybody.’ ”

Someone must have spotted him on the show's morning rerun, because Twitter was beginning to light up in confusion and amazement. “YouTube has frozen the count,” he said. “They usually do that when people are hitting it so fast they go, ‘Wait, this might be bots.’ ” He seemed really pleased with how this experiment in pure virality was playing out. “We worked really hard for no one to know it was happening,” he said, “to see if anybody would know that it was happening.”

On Learning to Love Failure:
And then he met Del Close, the legendary improv teacher and mentor and champion of the idea that improvisational comedy, when performed purely, was in fact high expressive art.

“I went, ‘I don't know what this is, but I have to do it,’ ” he said. “I have to get up onstage and perform extemporaneously with other people.” He was part of the same Second City class that included Amy Sedaris and Paul Dinello and Chris Farley. “Our first night professionally onstage,” he said, the longtime Second City director Jeff Michalski told them that the most important lesson he could pass on to them was this: “You have to learn to love the bomb.”

“It took me a long time to really understand what that meant,” Colbert said. “It wasn't ‘Don't worry, you'll get it next time.’ It wasn't ‘Laugh it off.’ No, it means what it says. You gotta learn to love when you're failing.… The embracing of that, the discomfort of failing in front of an audience, leads you to penetrate through the fear that blinds you. Fear is the mind killer.” (You're welcome, Dune nerds.)

On Dealing with the Suffering That Came with His Father and Two Brothers' Death:
He was tracing an arc on the table with his fingers and speaking with such deliberation and care. “I was left alone a lot after Dad and the boys died.... And it was just me and Mom for a long time,” he said. “And by her example am I not bitter. By her example. She was not. Broken, yes. Bitter, no.” Maybe, he said, she had to be that for him. He has said this before—that even in those days of unremitting grief, she drew on her faith that the only way to not be swallowed by sorrow, to in fact recognize that our sorrow is inseparable from our joy, is to always understand our suffering, ourselves, in the light of eternity. What is this in the light of eternity? Imagine being a parent so filled with your own pain, and yet still being able to pass that on to your son.

“It was a very healthy reciprocal acceptance of suffering,” he said. “Which does not mean being defeated by suffering. Acceptance is not defeat. Acceptance is just awareness.” He smiled in anticipation of the callback: “ ‘You gotta learn to love the bomb,’ ” he said. “Boy, did I have a bomb when I was 10. That was quite an explosion. And I learned to love it. So that's why. Maybe, I don't know. That might be why you don't see me as someone angry and working out my demons onstage. It's that I love the thing that I most wish had not happened.”

I love the thing that I most wish had not happened.

I asked him if he could help me understand that better, and he described a letter from Tolkien in response to a priest who had questioned whether Tolkien's mythos was sufficiently doctrinaire, since it treated death not as a punishment for the sin of the fall but as a gift. “Tolkien says, in a letter back: ‘What punishments of God are not gifts?’ ” Colbert knocked his knuckles on the table. “ ‘What punishments of God are not gifts?’ ” he said again. His eyes were filled with tears. “So it would be ungrateful not to take everything with gratitude. It doesn't mean you want it. I can hold both of those ideas in my head.”

He was 35, he said, before he could really feel the truth of that. He was walking down the street, and it “stopped me dead. I went, ‘Oh, I'm grateful. Oh, I feel terrible.’ I felt so guilty to be grateful. But I knew it was true.

“It's not the same thing as wanting it to have happened,” he said. “But you can't change everything about the world. You certainly can't change things that have already happened.”

Consider that this is coming from a man who millions of people will soon watch on their televisions every night—if only there were a way to measure the virality of this, which he'll never say on TV, I imagine, but which, as far as I can tell, he practices every waking minute of his life.

The next thing he said I wrote on a slip of paper in his office and have carried it around with me since. It's our choice, whether to hate something in our lives or to love every moment of them, even the parts that bring us pain. “At every moment, we are volunteers.”

There is much more in the interview such as the influence of Jon Stewart, how the Ed Sullivan theater is being worked up, more emphasis on the technicalities of The Late Show and more philosophy on life and comedy. I would also highly recommend The Late Show podcasts. Commence the Colbert gifs.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
That was an amazing read. Got to sit down and mull it over. I had no idea he had such a tragic back history. But I think I understand a bit more
about what makes him tick.

NEO0MJ

Dude is pretty amazing. Like, the chances of his success were less than one in a million but he did it anyway. This was a nice (and long) interview.

Erevador

I love Stephen.

I think there is a zen serenity to him that is borne out of his close relationship with grief and loss. He doesn't approach his comedy from a place of anger or ego, which is why he is so good at sending those things up.

Tabris

I really like Stephen but I don't think he's the best choice. I haven't really liked his non-sarcastic / satire roles.

Socreges

Banned
I really like Stephen but I don't think he's the best choice. I haven't really liked his non-sarcastic / satire roles.
Conversely, I think he's the perfect choice.

- great eye for satire
- great improvisionational acting ability
- sincere interest in politics/current events, acting and music

We'll get to see how much 'the character' was a crutch during his ad-libbing and interviews. That would be my only concern.

BorkBork

"...I've easily played the recording of that conversation a dozen times, only one of them in order to transcribe. And while we spent plenty of time talking about comedy and the conventions of late-night and the sheer practical challenge of doing a show twice as long as his old one—the thing I've been thinking about the most since my time with Colbert is loss. The losses he's experienced in his life, yes, but really the meaning we all make of our losses. Deaths of loved ones, the phases of our children's lives hurtling by, jobs and relationships we never imagined would end. All of it. Among other things, our lives are compendiums of loss and change and what we make of it. I've never met anyone who's faced that reality more meaningfully than Stephen Colbert. I suppose, more than anything, that's what this story is about."

Just a fascinating guy.

Monocle

I love Stephen but some of those quotes...

We'd all be laughing if it wasn't Stephen.
Maybe we're thinking of different quotes here, but yeah. Still an interesting interview.

Conversely, I think he's the perfect choice.

- great eye for satire
- great improvisionational acting ability
- sincere interest in politics/current events, acting and music

We'll get to see how much 'the character' was a crutch during his ad-libbing and interviews. That would be my only concern.
Based on this out-of-character interview, I have no concerns whatsoever. He's consistently funny and sharp witted in this. If anything, he's more entertaining than his character.

I love Stephen.

I think there is a zen serenity to him that is borne out of his close relationship with grief and loss. He doesn't approach his comedy from a place of anger or ego, which is why he is so good at sending those things up.

Absolutely. He's an incredible guy with a great attitude about life. The kind of person I wish there were more of in the world.

JCX

I love Stephen.

Yep, he's one of the few comedians out thee who doesn't seem to have sadness, bitterness, or anger behind his eyes.

I always wonder how someone can experience a tragic loss at such a young age and still grow up go make millions of people laugh and smile. His words go a long way to making sense of it. What a beautiful, loving human being.

BorkBork

Maybe we're thinking of different quotes here, but yeah. Still an interesting interview.

Based on this out-of-character interview, I have no concerns whatsoever. He's consistently funny and sharp witted in this. If anything, he's more entertaining than his character.

Eric Schimdt looks like such an awkward fool in that interview haha.

Socreges

Banned
I see it as being a bit different as he's the interviewee here, but I do largely agree. He's also interviewed Neil Degrasse-Tyson a couple times out-of-character and it's worked well. I'm talking about night-in, night-out, though, where he'll be interviewing a more eclectic group, including dull celebrities. Maybe he'll still mock them with his satirical ignorance. I hope so.

Also Schmidt is a douche.

Arkeband

Banned
Yeah, Stephen's outlook is infectious. He's such a brilliant actor.

My brother was waiting in line outside of the Colbert Report a few years ago and a few hours into the wait, a guy in a baseball cap strolled up to the growing line and revealed himself to be Stephen, and apologized to everyone that there wasn't going to be a taping that day and he figured he'd walk by just on a whim and was glad he did. He spent some time with them and shook their hands and made a few jokes and then went on his way so no one would be disappointed. Just a really cool, genuine, down to Earth dude.

And also, possibly, one of the greatest Tolkien nerds alive.

Socreges

Banned
Yeah, Stephen's outlook is infectious.
About that. Funny thing happened today:

Read this article last night in bed. Resonated with me for sure.

This morning I was chairing a call with a client that I knew would be contentious. Leading up to it, I tried to remain calm and even thought back to Colbert talking about how he enjoys being uncomfortable. In a way, bad things can be good. So, the meeting opened with the Senior level guy ripping into me, yelling at me over the phone, saying that they are the customer and I should not be dictating things. Really nasty. The two guys across from me looked shell-shocked. I could have choked. Suddenly, it came to me: Love the bomb. So I did. I relished what was happening. And it relaxed me. And I gathered my thoughts and responded, somehow, with a clear head. Got a half-apology from the guy at the end and props from my boss afterwards. I'm an anxious guy in important meetings and I truly believe that if I hadn't read the article last night I wouldn't have been able to compose myself.

Granted, if someone I care about died, I don't think I could implement his philosophy convincingly. But at least it can work for me with uncomfortable situations!

Squire

Banned
I love Stephen but some of those quotes...

We'd all be laughing if it wasn't Stephen.

Which ones?
The next thing he said I wrote on a slip of paper in his office and have carried it around with me since. It's our choice, whether to hate something in our lives or to love every moment of them, even the parts that bring us pain. “At every moment, we are volunteers.”

That's a pretty laughable mentality for so many people in the world.

I appreciate that it works for him, but yeah.

Mariolee

About that. Funny thing happened today:

Read this article last night in bed. Resonated with me for sure.

This morning I was chairing a call with a client that I knew would be contentious. Leading up to it, I tried to remain calm and even thought back to Colbert talking about how he enjoys being uncomfortable. In a way, bad things can be good. So, the meeting opened with the Senior level guy ripping into me, yelling at me over the phone, saying that they are the customer and I should not be dictating things. Really nasty. The two guys across from me looked shell-shocked. I could have choked. Suddenly, it came to me: Love the bomb. So I did. I relished what was happening. And it relaxed me. And I gathered my thoughts and responded, somehow, with a clear head. Got a half-apology from the guy at the end and props from my boss afterwards. I'm an anxious guy in important meetings and I truly believe that if I hadn't read the article last night I wouldn't have been able to compose myself.

Granted, if someone I care about died, I don't think I could implement his philosophy convincingly. But at least it can work for me with uncomfortable situations!

Incredibly inspiring story dude. Gonna face tomorrow with this new philosophy and see where it takes me. Just learn to love the bomb. :D

That's a pretty laughable mentality for so many people in the world.

I appreciate that it works for him, but yeah.

Do you have any particular examples? Sure, there are people in extremely unfortunate situations in which this quote won't apply, but I think a general creed like this would most likely benefit the majority of the world's population. As someone who's been going through some depressive issues at the moment, Stephen's words really hit me. To force yourself to have this different perspective on life might make all the difference.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
And then he talked about the Food Network show Chopped. The reason he loves Chopped is that it's a show that is wholly about process, about creation within a limited range of possibilities. “This show,” he said, meaning The Late Show, “is Chopped. Late-night shows are Chopped. Who are your guests tonight? Your guests tonight are veal tongue, coffee grounds, and gummy bears. There, make a show.… Make an appetizer that appeals to millions of people. That's what I like. How could you possibly do it? Oh, you bring in your own flavors. Your own house band is another flavor. You have your own flavor. The audience itself is a base dish, like a rice pilaf or something. And then together it's ‘Oh shit, that's an actual meal.’ And that's what every day is like at one of these shows. Something is one thing in the morning, and then by the end of the day it's a totally different thing. It's all process.”

That's actually an interesting take (even if it's a "no shit" sort of take) on television shows and people taking them over. I think some people need to take that on Trevor Noah's Daily Show, including myself.

Really nice article. I greatly admire Colbert. It was interesting to read that Eminem wasn't just playing along with the joke on that public access show.

Mariolee

Really nice article. I greatly admire Colbert. It was interesting to read that Eminem wasn't just playing along with the joke on that public access show.

I'm sure Eminem knew Colbert was a comedian and relied on some of the improv acting he employed in that one Bruno gag a few years back as well as his acting in The Interview, but to know that he actually wasn't completely in the loop makes the Colbert interview that much funnier haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom