• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 7 Deep Forest gameplay

FrankWza

I consider the cross-gen aspects to be justified in this particular case. The game is coming out soon and PS5 availability is still pretty low. All those who still can't buy a new console will be able to join the fun. After GT Sport, Polyphony owes us a decent Gran Turismo game, one that goes back to its roots and proves why it is still at the forefront of the genre.

I don't give a fuck what the trees look like. It's good that there are some, period. If i was a tree hugger, i would play Farming Simulator or Forza instead. GT is a game for which i am able to invest in a high-end steering wheel without even considering its price. And i would even do it on a PS4, with even more shitty cardboard trees.

I can see that apart from the pile of complainers, there are a few enthusiasts here who know what they are dealing with. I'm waiting for you motherfuckers in March. :messenger_horns::messenger_horns:
flame thrower fire GIF

Notabueno

Banned
2014 but yes. Forza Horizon 2 launched in 2014 around the same time as DriveClub. DC looked way better than FH2 back then. Look at how far PG have come leaving both PD and Turn10 have been left in the dust. Evo wouldve done the same were they given the support PG has received from MS.

giphy-downsized.gif

dtKKV1fA8E-49fxsnVPUwwm5XSCHoJ13uyoqcD9InqCIPzJQ9RXmjH4UNf1dXtjT4tZWLSBp4actHkS7IjU

giphy.gif

Imagine what they couldve done with a PS5.

That's exactly that, DriveClub was the PG/FH series competitors Sony needed.

They went conservative and greedy despite Sony's upper management being at fault for the fucked launched of DC, closed one of their most promising studio (Evolution), to instead continue betting on an aging franchise which however great it was at some point, has gotten less interesting for most.

In fact I'm not arguing that one should replace the other, but that with both a slightly more arcade-y sim DriveClub and a full sim Gran Turismo, Sony would have the strongest racing exclusives roster.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Looks cool! One thing a bit weird is the height of the camera on the cockpit, isnt it a bit low? looks like a dwarf is driving.

JLB

Banned
That's exactly that, DriveClub was the PG/FH series competitors Sony needed.

They went conservative and greedy despite Sony's upper management being at fault for the fucked launched of DC, closed one of their most promising studio (Evolution), to instead continue betting on an aging franchise which however great it was at some point, has gotten less interesting for most.

In fact I'm not arguing that one should replace the other, but that with both a slightly more arcade-y sim DriveClub and a full sim Gran Turismo, Sony would have the strongest racing exclusives roster.

Driveclub has nothing, nothing to do with Forza Horizon. Starting by the obvious fact that is open world.

RPSleon

Its what i expected. But im still abit disappointed with how it looks. Im gonna have to watch it a few times, but one thing that stuck out was some low poly areas inside the car where id have expected them to put more focus.

The low fov of the interior i hope can be changed.

MrA

I suggest a pair of glasses.

I'm seeing double! 4 gran Turismos!
seriously though, there is a 0 percent chance of me buying this game, but if someone can't admit it looks amazing, they'll never be happy with visuals

Notabueno

Banned
Driveclub has nothing, nothing to do with Forza Horizon. Starting by the obvious fact that is open world.

Who gives a shit, this is part of the same franchise starting with Project Gotham, then Forza and Forza Horiza, and yes DriveClub is absolutely more comparable with them than GT.

Unknown?

GT5 and GT6 had dynamic weather and time progression on PS3. I never understood why they didnt implemented it on GT Sport. GT7 on PS4 should look identical to GT Sport but i expect them to include dynamic weather and time.
They didn't use it in sport because they had baked in ray traced lighting. That's why the lighting looked so much better than other sims of the era.

K2D

Banned

I actually prefer GT7 here, especially GT's headcam view.

Edit: Compared to how I imagine myself sitting, Assetto Corsa's head/cockpit cam looks wierd and awkward to me..

Last edited:
Jesus that Porsche Vision is a beauty. I hate the fact the game is coming weeks after Elden Ring. I’ll be too deep in whatever swamp From will throw me in to pay full attention to GT7. I have both games digitally pre-ordered. God help me.

Yeah, same here, i got sifu, horizon, Elden ring and gt7 preordered and i never pre order games this early. GT7 is something i can throw on and play for a couple of hours here and there, i dont gotta devote my life to it like Elden ring. I think I’ll manage as long as nothign else gets announced for that time period

TrebleShot

I’d be amazed if this wasn’t improved before launch or it’s some sort of double processed video, still it looks about as GT as GT gets which is a good thing.

sncvsrtoip

The only imrovement I see over gt sport is that antialising seems to be realy good, cars are very crisp + cockpitview is not static as used to, but these rotating trees… I hate it :d still just bring full psvr2 and 10/10 from me 😆

MrFunSocks

Banned
Looks cool! One thing a bit weird is the height of the camera on the cockpit, isnt it a bit low? looks like a dwarf is driving.
It's probably the main guy from Killzone 2 and 3.

Also I await the day when people stop posting replay videos of GT games as proof of how good the game is going to look while playing it. GT replays may as well be a different game.

Last edited:
Damn why did remodeled that part of the track when trees were over your head after exiting the tunnel? This was a signature.
Because FIA. They want to appeal to them and esport as opposed to visual flairs, it’s more about realism and practicality.

Melfice7

Im so glad they finally embraced the iracing cockpit camera movement, as in the camera is fixed and its the car that moves around instead of having the camera shake like theres an earthquake, much better playability like this

Last edited:

John Wick

My first serious play of a racing game was Grand Turismo 3 on PS2. Loved unlocking all the cars and events. With each generation they keep pushing the visual boundaries and realism... until now?

Watching this in 4k it just doesn't standout to me. GT7 has almost a cartoony look that I can't quite put my finger on. Even the cars, which are usually phenomenal, has visuals similar to those achieved in games 5 years ago. I had some concerns when I watched the original trailer about the scenery being underwhelming but kept it to myself. Now we're seeing more of it though, those concerns seem to be becoming realized. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the gameplay and handling will be excellent, but I can't help but be disappointed. I realize this is a cross-gen game, but I was still hoping for more.

I've posted a few screens and I know I'm cutting out the cockpit (which makes it look worse), but does anyone else get that cartoony feel from them? Maybe it's just the scenery or maybe it is just me...

U4CQKVY.jpg
BqAz5GG.jpg
eFTTmcD.jpg
Same here. The cars look fantastic but the tracks look shit. I'm hoping there will be an improvement and this is an early build. Forza Horizon 5 makes this look a gen behind. There are no excuses for PD.

TBiddy

The same way this looks a gen behind forza 5.

That's how hyperbole works

Generational leaps aren't that big anymore. Based on this video, with the lovely Youtube-compression and what not, it's not that far-fetched to argue that the difference is generational. Claiming that FH5 looks like shit is just silly though.

edit: I should probably add, that the lightning looks fantastic, as always, in GT, but as I wrote earlier, the environments looks like an afterthought.

Last edited:
2014 but yes. Forza Horizon 2 launched in 2014 around the same time as DriveClub. DC looked way better than FH2 back then. Look at how far PG have come leaving both PD and Turn10 in the dust. Evo wouldve done the same were they given the support PG has received from MS.

giphy-downsized.gif

dtKKV1fA8E-49fxsnVPUwwm5XSCHoJ13uyoqcD9InqCIPzJQ9RXmjH4UNf1dXtjT4tZWLSBp4actHkS7IjU

giphy.gif

Imagine what they couldve done with a PS5.

Not only are the Horizon games open world, but FH3 came along in 2016 and wiped the floor with DriveClub.

Anyway on topic, the lighting is really nice but the presentation is let down by the environment (trees, foliage, etc).

SLB1904

Banned
Generational leaps aren't that big anymore. Based on this video, with the lovely Youtube-compression and what not, it's not that far-fetched to argue that the difference is generational. Claiming that FH5 looks like shit is just silly though.

edit: I should probably add, that the lightning looks fantastic, as always, in GT, but as I wrote earlier, the environments looks like an afterthought.
The environment looks fantastic. Everything looks to have high polycount. Just because there are shadow ls pop in on the trees. Doesn't make the environments an afterthought. And the car models are the best in the business nothing comes close

Top Bottom