• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Granblue Fantasy: Relink Final Trailer Released

Draugoth

Gold Member
Publisher Cygames and developer Cygames have released the launch trailer for action RPG Granblue Fantasy: Relink, which will launch for PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, and PC via Steam on February 1 worldwide, or on January 29 for Digital Deluxe Edition on PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
finally-vishal.gif

After all these years.

Holammer

Looks good, my only complaint is the amount of talking during fights. It's ridiculous in some footage with phrases repeated multiple times.

Video compression algorithm during Caglistoro's special attack.

1a9401ba-c8f5-4f1b-a715-b48b19a236f7_text.gif

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Also a reminder: if you didn't like FFXVI because it called itself an "rpg", then you won't like this one either because it's doing the same thing: pretending to be an rpg while actually being a hack n slash game.
Dumb post considering Granblue has a higher level cap, a full functional party of 4, Elemental advantage contributing an additional 20%-25% DPS to fights based on enemy type, Skybound Arts(at least 10 per character) and Burst chains which will tie into Elemental advantage, Chests ingame that contain more then 10 gold, MSP(AP) to customize each and every character, option of a male or female Captain/Protagonist character, an actual postgame, upgradable weapons and gear, genuine status effects, BATTLE MUSIC and of course Narmaya > Jill.

Not to mention Granblue lets you know what you are getting. Unlike XVI.

Dumb post considering Granblue has a higher level cap, a full functional party of 4, Elemental advantage contributing an additional 20%-25% DPS to fights based on enemy type, Skybound Arts(at least 10 per character) and Burst chains which will tie into Elemental advantage, Chests ingame that contain more then 10 gold, MSP(AP) to customize each and every character, option of a male or female Captain/Protagonist character, an actual postgame, upgradable weapons and gear, genuine status effects, BATTLE MUSIC and of course Narmaya > Jill.

I'll give ya this game not being as deceptive as FFXVI was, but elemental damage alone does not make an RPG. All I'm doing is telling people to be careful about it, and that the 20 hour campaign may not be a satisfying experience if people are going in expecting a genuine adventure that lines up with what past jrpgs have been. That's just the vibe I'm getting from this title.

Could be that my gut is very wrong, and it might be an epic and grand adventure experience there, but we'll see.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
I'll give ya this game not being as deceptive as FFXVI was, but elemental damage alone does not make an RPG. All I'm doing is telling people to be careful about it, and that the 20 hour campaign may not be a satisfying experience if people are going in expecting a genuine adventure that lines up with what past jrpgs have been. That's just the vibe I'm getting from this title.

Could be that my gut is very wrong, and it might be an epic and grand adventure experience there, but we'll see.
I'm hoping for the best, going to play it when it unlocks tonight.

Almost finished Sea of stars. Great rpg.

Companies need to make more games like Dragon Quest XI S. That was a damn fine good jrpg in my opinion, one of my favorites.

Doom85

If the game has:

-levels that matter
-equipment types/upgrades that matter
-unique party members
-elemental weaknesses/resistances
-side quests and such that offer more than yet another crafting material you have far more than you’ll actually need and/or the fantasy equivalent of a nickel

Then it’s already succeeded at being far more of a RPG than Final Fantasy XVI pretended to be.

If the game has:

-levels that matter
-equipment types/upgrades that matter
-unique party members
-elemental weaknesses/resistances
-side quests and such that offer more than yet another crafting material you have far more than you’ll actually need and/or the fantasy equivalent of a nickel

Then it’s already succeeded at being far more of a RPG than Final Fantasy XVI pretended to be.
Bro, if hack n slash games are your thing, then I hope you enjoy this game. I'm more of a traditional jrpg fan, for games like Dragon Quest main titles, Persona main titles, older FF games, SMT and even Tales games. Tales titles have real time action, but they also have true adventures and deeper stories than just "go to point a and b and rescue hostages, beat boss baddies and cycle that once more, but here's 22 different characters to do it all again with".

I'm hoping this game has more of the good stuff I mentioned, but I have my doubts. Again, I soooo hope I'm very wrong about this game.

Doom85

Bro, if hack n slash games are your thing, then I hope you enjoy this game. I'm more of a traditional jrpg fan, for games like Dragon Quest main titles, Persona main titles, older FF games, SMT and even Tales games. Tales titles have real time action, but they also have true adventures and deeper stories than just "go to point a and b and rescue hostages, beat boss baddies and cycle that once more, but here's 22 different characters to do it all again with".

I'm hoping this game has more of the good stuff I mentioned, but I have my doubts. Again, I soooo hope I'm very wrong about this game.

Well, from what I understand it’s more mission-based, with your team going out from a main town. Even if the story is light, that’s fine. This is the first Granblue RPG outside of the gacha games, so I’m not holding it to certain expectations other than making the RPG elements relevant as that’s its genre.

Final Fantasy XVI I’m even more critical of as it’s part of a series that has established RPG elements throughout. Even more divisive titles like VIII, XIII, and XV respected these elements. But XVI just streamlines everything to a ridiculous degree. It’s all style and zero substance. It should have been a spin-off title. Meanwhile Final Fantasy VII Remake showed respect for the established elements of the series. So XVI just looks even more empty in comparison.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Looks good, my only complaint is the amount of talking during fights. It's ridiculous in some footage with phrases repeated multiple times.

Video compression algorithm during Caglistoro's special attack.

1a9401ba-c8f5-4f1b-a715-b48b19a236f7_text.gif
This seems to be a Japanese staple in games. Countless games have this constant chatter which is annoying to a lot of people. I don’t mind it once in a while but it’s constant in some of these making me hate the game even when it’s good. Let us toggle chatter

Well, from what I understand it’s more mission-based, with your team going out from a main town. Even if the story is light, that’s fine. This is the first Granblue RPG outside of the gacha games, so I’m not holding it to certain expectations other than making the RPG elements relevant as that’s its genre.

Final Fantasy XVI I’m even more critical of as it’s part of a series that has established RPG elements throughout. Even more divisive titles like VIII, XIII, and XV respected these elements. But XVI just streamlines everything to a ridiculous degree. It’s all style and zero substance. It should have been a spin-off title. Meanwhile Final Fantasy VII Remake showed respect for the established elements of the series. So XVI just looks even more empty in comparison.
I'm still interested in GFR, at least the campaign part, so I'll wait for a sale before I pick it up. Totally agree with you about FFXVI though, it's getting to where these devs and pubs will lie their assess off for mass sales. That's why I'm hesitant with all new games these days.

Last edited:

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Also a reminder: if you didn't like FFXVI because it called itself an "rpg", then you won't like this one either because it's doing the same thing: pretending to be an rpg while actually being a hack n slash game.
Idk… this kinda reminds me of a Tales game from the demo.

cormack12

Gold Member

DpQ9YJl.png

J/k bro

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
I've played isometric shooter RPGs, FPS RPGs, TPS RPGs. It is entirely possible to have an RPG with a hack & slash combat system.

IFireflyl

Gold Member

A game being hack 'n' slash doesn't somehow negate it being an RPG. Hack 'n' slash is a sub-genre.

Top Bottom