• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand theft auto 6 details.

Pagusas

Elden Member
This thread reminds me that while Era is wayyyyy to far on the social warrior side, some of you on gaf are wayyy to far ok the opposite side. Seriously shaking my head at people suggesting a woman wouldn’t be good because their aren’t that many of them in real life...

This thread reminds me that while Era is wayyyyy to far on the social warrior side, some of you on gaf are wayyy to far ok the opposite side. Seriously shaking my head at people suggesting a woman wouldn’t be good because their aren’t that many of them in real life...
The biggest reason, it seems, is that you can't fuck prostitutes. Which is literall 1/1000000 of the game. This forum sometimes makes me think I'm in the midst of immature horny high schoolers. Sad part is, a lot of us are in our 20's - 30's.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I would welcome a femlae being one of the protagonists in GTA6 but the main one without any others? No way Rockstar would dare to do that.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
The main character being female would ruffle a lot of people’s feathers who are insecure about their masculinity, it would be quite funny to see.

Personally, I don’t care about that. I play games with Male and female leads with no issue at all.

What I DO want however, is another vice city era game. The 80s are musically the greatest era for me, and the sound track for vice city was beyond good. So seeing another game with that style, that sound track, it would be perfect for me.

I still wish they went with London however. 80s London would be fantastic.

I think in GTA 6 You should play as a cop. You should deal with being undercover, corruption, police brutality, doing the right, doing the wrong thing for the right reasons, vigilantism, informants, siding with criminals. Difficult choices.

Male or female is less important to me, but I'd love to return to vice cities and the 80s. Vice City is one of the best games ever made. The charm, humour and story was out of this world. I want to live that Miami Vice feel. The nostalgia, bright colors, melancholic!

I think in GTA 6 You should play as a cop. You should deal with being undercover, corruption, police brutality, doing the right, doing the wrong thing for the right reasons, vigilantism, informants, siding with criminals. Difficult choices.

Male or female is less important to me, but I'd love to return to vice cities and the 80s. Vice City is one of the best games ever made. The charm, humour and story was out of this world. I want to live that Miami Vice feel. The nostalgia, bright colors, melancholic!

Then that would be Grand THEFT Auto.

nkarafo

I don't care how this will sound but i wouldn't like a female lead in a GTA game specifically. In my mind GTA lead characters are always these rough, offensive outlaws that can also be intimidating and physically strong enough to come on top of other intimidating criminals and scumbags. Dunno, a female character wouldn't be very convincing in such a role.

Unless it's Gina Carano. That would be a female GTA lead i would accept, yeah.

petran79

Banned
If they added a female character that stripped and had to show T&A to get what she wants or get humiliated, there would be unimaginable outrage.

Diddy X

GTA: Narco

I'm pretty sure there are some Pablo Escobar references in Vice City but what about a game more focused on him and his cartel, it would basically be Vice City 2, the map consists of Miami and Colombia, big but more importantly full of detail and stuff to do, you can do anything and everything you can imagine.

Just imagine the missions, the concept itself makes it potentially the best GTA ever.

Last edited:

SonGoku

Why is his arms smaller than hers?
Soy.
GTA: Narco

I'm pretty sure there are some Pablo Escobar references in Vice City but what about a game more focused on him and his cartel, it would basically be Vice City 2, the map consists of Miami and Colombia, big but more importantly full of detail and stuff to do, you can do anything and everything you can imagine.

Just imagine the missions, the concept itself makes it potentially the best GTA ever.
after watching paradise lost i can't stand the guy
I rather have a GTA Tokyo or Rio, now has potential.

Last edited:
R*, has been doing the multiple character stories since 4. I think the closest they'd ever get to going back to one character, is if the story is told in chapters (think pulp fiction with butch, jules and vincent).. Or if the characters are scattered in multiple cities but united by a thread, like the diamonds in gta4.

Kadayi

Banned
R*, has been doing the multiple character stories since 4. I think the closest they'd ever get to going back to one character, is if the story is told in chapters (think pulp fiction with butch, jules and vincent).. Or if the characters are scattered in multiple cities but united by a thread, like the diamonds in gta4.

Agreed. I'd expect GTA 6 to revolve around another trilogy of characters.

Hinedorf

Banned
GTA games are about the most cliche, crude, and sexist games that are geared specifically toward male gamers.

Would a female protagonist stop somebody from playing a GTA game? I doubt it but it would absolutely change the immature misogynistic theme that has permeated the series.

That's not the issue. The issue is that you cannot make a female lead character go through certain situations in a videogame unless you want the ERA and twitter Inquisition biting your ass 24/7.

I am perfectly fine with a TRUE GTA with a woman as protagonist and taking advantage of being a woman. I don't want just a female skin over a male character but really a well-developed female character and Rockstar are the best ones for that. However, it comes at a cost. The controversy is gonna be HUGE and you have to be ready for the shitstorm.

I would be love a much rougher version of Chloe for the role.

ethomaz

Banned
Is it timed exclusive like the previous rumor?

Edit - Dammit... is that a necro? C’mon.

Last edited:

Blue Apple

A male is a much better fit for a game like GTA in which you play as a criminal. Over 90% of people in prison are men. Males are much more likely, therefore more believable, being involved in the main activities in GTA games such as homicide, robbery, burglary, carjacking, drug dealing, gangs, mafia, arms trafficking, arson, and street racing.

Plus, men and women tend to commit crimes for different reasons. Men are more likely to kill strangers and acquaintances in unfamiliar locations. Women most often kill intimate partners or family members in their own homes. Some 80 percent of the victims of women killers were family members.

There's also the issue of hand to hand combat. Would we play as a woman who can beat up men and pull them out of cars? Are gang members going to be intimidated by a woman? Those things would be difficult to achieve without looking silly.

Considering the above, why have a female protagonist instead of a male? What's to gain? Do you want to force a woman into the game just to have one?

h00ters

A male is a much better fit for a game like GTA in which you play as a criminal. Over 90% of people in prison are men. Males are much more likely, therefore more believable, being involved in the main activities in GTA games such as homicide, robbery, burglary, carjacking, drug dealing, gangs, mafia, arms trafficking, arson, and street racing.

Plus, men and women tend to commit crimes for different reasons. Men are more likely to kill strangers and acquaintances in unfamiliar locations. Women most often kill intimate partners or family members in their own homes. Some 80 percent of the victims of women killers were family members.

There's also the issue of hand to hand combat. Would we play as a woman who can beat up men and pull them out of cars? Are gang members going to be intimidated by a woman? Those things would be difficult to achieve without looking silly.

Considering the above, why have a female protagonist instead of a male? What's to gain? Do you want to force a woman into the game just to have one?
I don't get this argument. Aside from GTA IV, the series hasn't really cared too much about realism.

To use your logic, how realistic was it to believe that a two-bit thug (CJ) would end up flying around in jet packs and blowing up the equivalent of the Hoover Dam in San Andreas?

Or Trevor all of a sudden being able to get really angry and turn into a bullet sponge in GTA V?

Blue Apple

I don't get this argument. Aside from GTA IV, the series hasn't really cared too much about realism.

To use your logic, how realistic was it to believe that a two-bit thug (CJ) would end up flying around in jet packs and blowing up the equivalent of the Hoover Dam in San Andreas?

Or Trevor all of a sudden being able to get really angry and turn into a bullet sponge in GTA V?

Why make it even less realistic and less believable with a female protagonist? What's the benefit?

EDMIX

GTA games are about the most cliche, crude, and sexist games that are geared specifically toward male gamers.

Would a female protagonist stop somebody from playing a GTA game? I doubt it but it would absolutely change the immature misogynistic theme that has permeated the series.

Maybe, maybe not. Who is to say they can't have all that crude humor with a female? So it can still have the funny immature misogynisitc themes and simply gear them towards the character and still actually work.

She can be a undercover cop not taken seriously cause she's a female and looking to prove herself in force (she can also be a veteran in the force and already moved up ranks)

She can also be a drug dealer like Queen Pin (Jemeker Thompson). So they can go any direction, a DEA agent or FBI agent or Drug dealer, queen pin etc

A male or female main character doesn't need to change the theme. I see no reason to do that as PART of the theme is that, not its entire concept.

They have
Griselda Blanco
Sandra Ávila Beltrán
Jemeker Thompson (aka Queen Pin)
etc they have a good amount of females in the drug world to really pick from in terms of character. I'd argue just how rare they are adds so much to the uniqueness. The police officers investigating Jemeker Thompson over looked her when they first heard she was the boss as they thought it was not really feasible lol so it adds a lot because of how rare it actually is and could be a cool story.

I'm fine with what ever they do as I've always liked their stories and characters. If they do 3 characters again, they can do anything we've talked about tbh

Dante83

Banned
Not too concerned with female leads if they are done right, but Rockstar has to make the gun controls smoother and more responsive, and not like red dead 2, and we will have a winner.

Last edited:

somerset

GTA VI will be woke? And hell will freeze over.

Rockstar knows how to work the press (its a Brit thing). During dev, Rockstar knows the current toxic alt-left press is a danger, so will always work to make itself less of a target than someone else. Rumours, fake news leaks, and a trivial dev option that misrepresents the game are easy enough tactics. Let the alt-left media eat cake - and let Rockstar's PR team provide that cake.

When GTA VI hits, it will target the main gaming demographic with laser accuracy as always- Rockstar wants all the wonga in the world- which means "know your audience" and "give your audience what it wants". Rockstar may talk Woke nonsense in the hope that competition damages itself that way.

Did you know that every smart media organisation arranges its own leaks? And those leaks are *not* a reflection of what is coming, but what a current PR situation currently requires. Rockstar plays the media game better than any other game dev.

Mind you some people were *certain* the latest Game of Thrones episode would be at King's Landing, and not the Winterfell battle- cos their 'big brains' worked that out from the content of the two earlier episodes. So of course some people will think the most male targeted of all game franchises will go Woke- because 'reasons'.

PS I'm not saying GTA VI won't be like Witcher 3, and have a girly character you control in a small section of the game- indeed I'm sure it will. But the main gamer agency characters will be males as always.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
don't see why having a female character would be bad. i hope they do it. GTA feels stale as shit these days. Rockstar seriously need to try new stuff with the games. i'm not just talking about having a female character. they need to seriously improve their mission design/structure and make enjoyable gunplay. there was a time when Rockstar was the king of open world games but so many titles have made GTA look like a joke. there have been loads of open world games since GTA V launched and those games have redefined what these type of games should be. i know Witcher 3/Zelda/Horizon etc aren't the same as GTA but Rockstar could learn a thing or two from them. RDR2 was an improvement but gunplay is still ass as always.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

A map with Liberty City and Vice City would be awesome, I loved travelling between the cities in GTA San Andreas and also exploring the northern parts of the map in GTA 5.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
A map with Liberty City and Vice City would be awesome, I loved travelling between the cities in GTA San Andreas and also exploring the northern parts of the map in GTA 5.
this gets mentioned all the time. for years people have been dreaming of a map that lets you travel between different maps but i doubt it'll ever happen or at least any time soon. GTA VI will likely just have a single map of whatever location they set it in. maybe in a one off mission we'll be able to go to another location but not in free play.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
There's some serious distance in real life between NY & Miami. Not sure how the game would handle that if it's on the same map, unless it's like in an old J-RPG where the ice land is right next to the desert land...

The only way this could work is if they don't have them on the same map, like you have to take a plane with a loading screen in between to get from one place to the other.

Though the more reasonable solution is that the rumour is utter bullshit. Yeah, I'll go with that one.

someone i know for long time on psn told me it will be revealed along with the ps5 reveal!

prolly batshit but would be epic on sony part

Valid points, but to me it’s honestly no worst than the plethora of females in fighting games. Yeah, there are legit female fighters out there but they heavily get outnumbered by the number of male fighters. I know GTA relies on more realism, but I think it could be an interesting twist on the GTA franchise seeing a female lead and I wonder how Rockstar would handle her. Admittedly, it’s a huge risk and I feel that a playable male character will be thrown into the mix somehow.

Acidizer

Banned
This is/was my favourite game, but GTA V left me cold. So boring, the cars handled so shallowly and SO unrealistic that I just didn't care about being in the game world.

I clocked up 100s of hours in GTA IV, GTA V I had about 30h.

HeadsUp7Up

I put GTA in the same boat as Saints Row and those games didn’t suffer when I would change my character to a woman. It’s a video game ffs, stop overthinking these things. I could understand the arguments if it was supposed to be based on a true story or a simulation game like Madden or NBA 2k. Otherwise I think a lot of folks just have a tough time seeing different perspectives and it makes them uncomfortable.

You can call me out for not taking everyone’s opinion seriously but the moment you start to talk about realism and GTA in the same paragraph I’m done reading.

Cleared_Hot

Explain to me how disagreeing that a woman protagonist for a Grand theft Auto game is a good idea automatically makes you "far-right"?! There legitimate, well thought-out reasons. I'm sure whatever they come out with will be good regardless but these guys are making great points and I'm starting understand why it wouldn't really make any sense. At the same time one must recognize everything you do as a male in GTA is absolutely unrealistic and ridiculous and that factor doesn't change at all when you change to a woman. At the very least, it's just going to be funny.

Last edited:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Sorry guys, but having a female lead character is something I really want in GTA6. Though I think having 2 or 3 characters would be best (like last time).

avalonzero

Vice City is a bad choice because Miami and Florida just aren't that interesting geographically. It'll make for a pretty plain map. Give me Liberty City or give me death! I think an LC/VC hybrid with some diverse wilderness in between would be amazing.

Boss Mog

Sorry guys, but having a female lead character is something I really want in GTA6. Though I think having 2 or 3 characters would be best (like last time).
No need to apologize but personally I could care less about the protag's gender, race, etc... as long as the game is good. I seriously doubt R* would put a female as the only protag though, because of the nature of GTA. If there's a female protag she'll be one of several protags.

JimmyJones

Banned

Hmm I wonder why that is?

Why make it even less realistic and less believable with a female protagonist? What's the benefit?

The benefit would be to tell and show a different side of the criminal subculture. The simple fact that it is a female protagonist opens up many other avenues of story telling. I mean come on, this isn't THAT hard to figure out.

Blue Apple

The benefit would be to tell and show a different side of the criminal subculture. The simple fact that it is a female protagonist opens up many other avenues of story telling. I mean come on, this isn't THAT hard to figure out.

What different side of criminal subculture? If it's easy to figure out, what would be a good story for a GTA game in which a female protagonist would be better than a male? Think about all of the good crime movies and shows like Heat, Scarface, The Godfather, Training Day, Sopranos, and Breaking Bad and imagine changing some of the male criminals to females. How would that work out? Make Tuco a female in this scene...

It would be goofy like Saints Row.

brap

Banned
What different side of criminal subculture? If it's easy to figure out, what would be a good story for a GTA game in which a female protagonist would be better than a male? Think about all of the good crime movies and shows like Heat, Scarface, The Godfather, Training Day, Sopranos, and Breaking Bad and imagine changing some of the male criminals to females. How would that work out? Make Tuco a female in this scene...

It would be goofy like Saints Row.

You could actually BE the prostitute this time :O

Top Bottom