• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto 6 Won’t Have Three Protagonists – Rumour

how many protagonists do you want in GTA6?

Votes: 55 69.6%

Votes: 17 21.5%

Votes: 7 8.9%

• Total voters

R6Rider

Gold Member
It will have 6 obviously. Then some will die off depending on how you play the story.

That being said, I wouldn't mind having 3 again.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I think 2 and not because of any completely unsubstantiated rumours about "it's a man and woman" or "you go back and forth through time". I just think 2 will work better than 3.

Wasn't the rumor a Brother/Sister dynamic....so 2? There has been so many rumors in the last couple months I tend to think (or hope) they will announce something by the end of the year. Something like a landscape/voice-over with a logo at the end.

PanzerAzel

Awesome.

Will it still be the same old tired formula of creating a technical marvel, only to force players to abide their archaic "go to x, do y, accomplish z, stray 10 feet off the beaten path while doing so=mission failed" mission design we've been playing with for decades? I'd love to play a GTA where I can actually play the damn game instead of be led around by it, and when I'm not, only go around and create superficial chaos and explosions. It's been long past time for these games to evolve where it matters.

Last edited:
Awesome.

Will it still be the same old tired formula of creating a technical marvel, only to force players to abide their archaic "go to x, do y, accomplish z, stray 10 feet off the beaten path while doing so=mission failed" mission design we've been playing with for decades? I'd love to play a GTA where I can actually play the damn game instead of be led around by it, and when I'm not, only go around and create superficial chaos and explosions. It's been long past time for these games to evolve where it matters.
Rockstar lives in a bubble where other open world city games have never existed. In the past 15 years there has only been GTA 4, GTA4 DLC, GTA 5, and nothing else. Therefore, they have the best philosophy and gameplay loop for open world city games since they're the only ones making them.

PanzerAzel

Rockstar lives in a bubble where other open world city games have never existed. In the past 15 years there has only been GTA 4, GTA4 DLC, GTA 5, and nothing else. Therefore, they have the best philosophy and gameplay loop for open world city games since they're the only ones making them.
I think they just can't be bothered to advance their gameplay, because the casual consumer that buys their games really wants or expects nothing more.

You'd think, as a creative studio, they'd want to push the envelope of these mind-blowing worlds they craft to the most miniscule of details, but they appear perfectly content with saddling them with mission designs mired in antiquity. They could make a crime simulator that is so mind blowing if they just began to implement an underlying infrastructure that provides real depth and building upon it with each installment. They've already dabbled in this (stocks, bank heist plannings....this is a step in the right direction), but these appear to be one-offs and not a foundational building blocks underneath the impressive surface they craft.

ManaByte

Gold Member

"Journalist Jason Schreier has said that contrary to what some rumours have claimed,​

GTA 6 won't have the same number of protagonists as its predecessor."​

He could've just said it was two protagonists, which everyone knows already, but instead he had to be cryptic because:

cm punk wwe GIF

hemo memo

Gold Member
Awesome.

You do realize that GTAV released 9 years ago on 2 generations ago consoles right? You do also realize that Rockstar actually released an open world after that called Red Dead Redemption 2 with emergent gameplay like no other game before it so why would GTAVI be any different if not better?

PanzerAzel

You do realize that GTAV released 9 years ago on 2 generations ago consoles right? You do also realize that Rockstar actually released an open world after that called Red Dead Redemption 2 with emergent gameplay like no other game before it so why would GTAVI be any different if not better?
What emergent gameplay does RDR2 have?

I'm not talking about minor emergence within missions, I'm talking about foundational, grassroots emergence. Being able to bribe officials and police. Politicians. Purchase properties and a basic economy. Hiring, placing dealers on the map to bring income, and adjusting prices. Prostitutes. Shipping. Gun running. Chop shops. The Black Market. Turf wars. To be able to take some actual control, ownership, and have some impact over the world as an up and coming crime boss. I'm not looking for the game to turn into a spreadsheet, but R*'s design is a far, FAR cry from the potential of what their worlds afford in appearance of freedom, but offer absolutely nothing in substance to be able to take advantage of it.

They are the same, tired shit they always have been. Bigger, glossier prisons with each new iteration.

Last edited:
I don't give a shit how many Protagonists this game has. That's the least of my problems.

I hope they care more about single player content(DLC) this time arround.

But I have my doubts that these F******* care about SP anymore. Selling these shark cards garbage will be the highest priority

Last edited:
What PanzerAzel PanzerAzel and myself are discussing are the foundational pillars of Rockstar gameplay, while you're pointing out what was built on top of that. One of the worst, yet most used Rockstar gameplay loops still boils down to 'follow this person, but not too closely, but not too far away or too far to one side or else it's an instant mission failure', until you reach a scripted moment to where you're allowed to interact again with those gameplay freedoms you're describing. It doesn't matter how great the emergent gameplay is if it's built upon decades old, out of date gameplay and mission design.

They refuse to change these pillars, because they barely, barely if ever, pay attention to other video games. They are completely on their own train track ignoring everything to the left and right of them that may or may not be vastly improving upon a formula they've created or popularized in the first place. This would be different if no other game could do what they can do(like Bethesda and their Creation Engine), but it's been proven that other games were able to not only entirely improve some of their systems, but also at least touch upon some of the innovations they have made on their end. It gives them way less of an excuse to keep their eyes and ears plugged.

I don't give a shit how many Protagonists this game has. That's the least of my problems.

I hope they care more about single player content(DLC) this time arround.

But I have my doubts that these F******* care about SP anymore. Selling these shark cards garbage will be the highest priority
Yeah they certainly put no effort into rdr 2 or the gta 5 single player experience

It's a bummer that that they've given up on dlc, but they're still going to make a dope single player experience

Twinblade

Don't care, tbh. As long as GTA 6 is an awesome and ambitious game, I'm in.

Lol why not? There are more than enough bad ass female protagonists in games that should put any of your worries to rest.

I have nothing against female protagonists, but in GTA... I just can't take it seriously. It's been all male protagonists the whole franchise. I just can't take a female protagonist seriously.

Last edited:
I have nothing against female protagonists, but in GTA... I just can't take it seriously. It's been all male protagonists the whole franchise. I just can't take a female protagonist seriously.
I'm ok with a female protagonist as long as she isn't coddled and treated like the other protags with real faults

I'd prefer male tbh, but it wouldn't turn me away, chance to delve into some different comedic strokes

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Please have 1.

I hate the multiple character thing in general in games..

Give me one character I upgrade throughout the game.

Twinblade

I'm ok with a female protagonist as long as she isn't coddled and treated like the other protags with real faults

I'd prefer male tbh, but it wouldn't turn me away, chance to delve into some different comedic strokes

I wonder how they will pull it off with hookers and a female protagonist.

Davesky

Keep the multiple characters unique to GTA V, the franchise is never going to mature or realistic enough to be done effectively and give the feeeling of a real lived in world such as in The Wire. Give me one protagonist with multiple timelines and just do it in an interesting enough way to make it fun.

Last edited:

Raven77

Having 3 was way too confusing. My small monkey brain just couldn't keep up.

That being said, it'll probably have 4-6 because it would make for great marketing material...

mortal

Gold Member
I always thought having three protagonists in GTA V was a bit too much. In some ways, it felt like you were playing a multiplayer game by yourself.
Outside of the missions that required you to switch between them, I usually spent most of my playtime playing as one or two of them.

I would much rather have a single character with lot of mobility like GTA IV and customization like RDR2.
Arthur builds in RDR2 were bordering on RPG, especially with the realtime changes to his model. Would love to see an iteration of that system implemented into GTA

Last edited:
Top Bottom