• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

gratuitous UmJammer Lammy appreciation thread

No, not the game, the totally awesome clock I have:

lammy.jpg

I've had it for a few months - it plays the UmJammer Lammy theme song for the alarm and Lammy says different phrases when you turn it off (by, of course, hitting her horns).

In any case, my clock was joined last night by an amazing find at a used toy store: a greyscale Rammy doll!

rammy.jpg

Wow, Lammy and Rammy are individually cool, but put them together and it's COOL CITY. Fun Fact: their Japanese names are Ramii and Uramii.

The two of them are now hang out on my bookshelves with french-fry gobblin' Parappa. Who is someone's avatar on NeoGAF.

parappa.jpg

This concludes your gratuitous toy whoring for the day!

Kiriku said:
Show me a Parappa toaster, THEN we'll talk.

Speaking of obscure Parappa/Lammy merchandise, I really, really, REALLY want the media-only set of UmJammer Lammy shotglasses they swagged out to support that game's release. It's probably best if we don't have them; I'd turn into an alcoholic, so giddy with the potential of drinking from UmJammer glasses would I be.

epmode

umjammer lammy has quite possibly the most disturbing level in videogame history. yknow, the hospital/baby factory. shudder.

great game, but i'm much worse at it than parappa.

Um Jammer Lammy > me

Your merchandise is nifty. However, having the Lammy clock and Rammy together really makes Lammy look tubby. Seems like she's been "believing" pretty hard in those Chunky Burgers.

I see a set of Lammy shot glasses available at whimsyload.com, but since the text calls them "rare. THIS SET IS THE LAST ONE to Go!", and they're listed as Temporarily Out Of Stock, I guess it's there more for historical purposes than anything.

LA-134.box13.JPG

Tortfeasor

I have a Parappa Hat stocking cap... It is the same as the one on the doll, but is real. It has the frog patch on the front and says playstation in stitching on the back.

I wear it every winter... I know it is dorky and actually makes people want to walk on the other side of the street from me, but I can't help it... It is just that cool.

I agree with the shot glasses: Lammy rocks.

Much more fun than Parappa (IMO). The death metal cockpit, the artsy wood cutter, the crazy babies, 2-player mode, man, I do love this game.

From what I understand the US version is different from the import. In the Japanese version, doesn't Lammy die and go to hell?

Jumpman Jr. said:
From what I understand the US version is different from the import. In the Japanese version, doesn't Lammy die and go to hell?

Yeah, I've actually never played the U.S. version. (Japanese one has full English subs and voice acting, so.) Doesn't she go to an island?

So you can play on an island! You've come far!

Yeah, what was a trip to the afterlife due to slipping on P.J. Berri's banana peel, became getting flung to an island from some amazingly elastic thing. The lyrics of the song are also modified. Where it says "somebody" in the US version, I believe it's "the devil" in the original.

In trying to remember this stuff, I've realized it's impossible for me to try to quickly skim through the lyrics in my head. If I don't leave equal time for the guitar action, I become totally lost.

I've been waking up to that clock for almost 5 years now - booyah! Also, I hate to 'harsh on your vibe,' but your amazing Rammy medicom figure was an eBay mainstay for years on end, often closing without bids for less than $10. Yet, being a moron, I never got around to buying one.

I, too, am a massive Lammy fan, and usually get laughed out of the building when I express that viewpoint. In my opinion it destroys not only Parappa 1 and 2, but everything NanaOn-Sha have made to date. By far! It's also the only game I've ever given serious thought to starting a fan site for, but sadly that idea never really got off the ground. It sucks - I even talked to Rodney about it back in 99 and he not only agreed to let me use all of his already existing art without copyright restrictions, but also hinted that he might be down with doing some original art for the site. Yes, I'm a total fool for not following through with it.

Speaking of being a total moron, check out THIS move. Back in 2000 I visited Japan, and one of my goals on the trip was to hunt down and buy one of the two obscure/rare/OOP/etc Um Jammer Lammy guitars by Fernandes. One of them is yellow and is a real-life replica of the guitar Lammy plays in the game, and the other is one of those cool Fernandes bean-shaped guitars with the built-in speaker, adorned with Lammy art. I visited numerous guitar shops in several cities and never was able to find it. Or so I thought. Upon returning home and looking through my pictures, look what I found:

guitar.jpg

Look in the upper-left. The yellow guitar. That's it. I was staring DIRECTLY AT IT and was so blinded by the flurry of rad guitars that I didn't even notice! I would've bought it on the spot, had I realized! AGHHH.

I even returned to that same (Kobe) guitar store 2 years later and tried in horribly broken english to ask about it, and received a laugh and a shake of the head. The guy working there did seem to know what I was talking about, though!

On a more positive note, I have managed to pick up some cool Parappa/Lammy related junk, including all the usual keychains/plush toys/stationary/soundtracks/etc. These are probably my favorite promo items:

parappa.jpg

The infamous Parappa bus banner. That's right, this was actually made to promote the US version of the game on the sides of buses.

lammy.jpg

This is a cool Lammy floor sticker, made of thick vinyl and made to be stuck on the floor of a game shop. It's about 24" wide and 18" high and, of course, is un-stuck.

Of course, none of this compares to the thrill of getting to see some of the best songs from the game performed LIVE, as I think old JackFrost did. I tried my absolute hardest to get in, but by then my meager Playstation fansite had been down for almost a year and they weren't buying that I was in any way "press." I'm still bitter to this day. I did manage to record a few songs via the live web-cast of the show, though. Kick-ass shit! I'd do just about anything for a nice video or better audio recording from the show.

About the US version - the lyric changes are disgusting, particularly in Paul Chuck's stage. How anyone could possibly have found lyrics about chopping down trees offensive is far beyond me, but apparently someone at Sony disagrees and saw it fit to change "chopping down trees, just for fun" to "rolling up high, in the sun," among many other head-scratchingly lame modifications. It's almost so bad it's funny - almost. You might want to pick up the US version for $5 sometime, if you feel like making yourself incredibly angry.

~Rockin' to the beat of the sunnn..~
~Knowin' that we're here for the funnnn!~

>__<

TheDiave

Banned
heh... We've got three or four copies of it at my work for $9.99 apiece. Nobody ever wants it when I show it to them.

cabel

bobbyconover said:
Speaking of being a total moron, check out THIS move. Back in 2000 I visited Japan, and one of my goals on the trip was to hunt down and buy one of the two obscure/rare/OOP/etc Um Jammer Lammy guitars by Fernandes. One of them is yellow and is a real-life replica of the guitar Lammy plays in the game, and the other is one of those cool Fernandes bean-shaped guitars with the built-in speaker, adorned with Lammy art.

I have a funny story about that.

A few years ago, this brand new (bi-weekly!) game magazine appeared. Each issue had a CD-ROM built into the cover. I can't remember what it was called.. INCITE or something? Anybody remember this thing? It was half-Entertainment Weekly, half-EGM, interviews with stars and game reviews, a weird combo but not bad at all. It lasted I think three months.

Anyway, they had a "Win An Unjammer Lammy Guitar!" contest.

So, I should note I never, ever enter contests. But with this one, my brain spins: "Hmm, this magazine is brand new -- that guitar is awesome -- I LOVE UmJammer Lammy -- you know what, I'm TOTALLY going to win this." I have no idea where the confidence came from, but I just 100% knew, the second I mailed my entry, that I was going to get the guitar.

I sent in a postcard. One month later, I got the guitar. Crazy!

Anyway, I'm at work, otherwise I'd post a picture -- it's RED, it has the built in speaker, and I totally love it so, even though I only play keyboard. :) I'll try to post a pic later tonight.

I didn't know there was a yellow one!

-Cabel

...and this is why you should never get into otaku pissing contests on the Internet.

BobbyConover, I salute you and your Lammy love. You are the better man. All I ask is visitation rights to Rammy on alternate weekends. Please? ;_;

bobbyconover said:
I did manage to record a few songs via the live web-cast of the show, though. Kick-ass shit! I'd do just about anything for a nice video or better audio recording from the show.

Any you could share? For the past few years when it's come to mind I've tried searching for any saved copies, since Sony removed it from their site long, long ago.

About the US version - the lyric changes are disgusting, particularly in Paul Chuck's stage. How anyone could possibly have found lyrics about chopping down trees offensive is far beyond me, but apparently someone at Sony disagrees and saw it fit to change "chopping down trees, just for fun" to "rolling up high, in the sun," among many other head-scratchingly lame modifications. It's almost so bad it's funny - almost. You might want to pick up the US version for $5 sometime, if you feel like making yourself incredibly angry.

Jesus Johnson, that's a bizarre change! Rollin' up high sounds ten times as suspect as chopping down trees. And of course, after making these changes to make things less restrictive... they advertise the game with tummies.

JackFrost2012 said:
...and this is why you should never get into otaku pissing contests on the Internet.

Come now, this is no contest - just a free sharing of Lammy love! I just can't believe this thread exists without a single misguided fool trying to tell us Lammy pales in comparison to Parappa. Much as I love Parappa (see 10-foot banner), it just can't compete. Lammy beats it out in absolutely every category - even charm. But then, I don't need to tell you that. You (all) understand!

Any you could share? For the past few years when it's come to mind I've tried searching for any saved copies, since Sony removed it from their site long, long ago.

I only ever mp3d a few of them for some idiotic reason, so I think I'll dig up the master tape and see about finishing the rest. I'll let you know when I finish. Are you on AIM, Orkut, or anything like that? I can send you the ones I have so far if you don't want to wait for the full batch. Just to reiterate, we're talking about a 28.8 webcast stream taped onto a cassette from my soundblaster "out" line and then recorded back in as mp3s, so the quality is pretty freaking bad. It's totally worth it though.

Jesus Johnson, that's a bizarre change! Rollin' up high sounds ten times as suspect as chopping down trees. And of course, after making these changes to make things less restrictive... they advertise the game with tummies.

Right, the whole thing is just one big contradiction really. They had no problem leaving in all the bits about the crazy war veteran, took out all references to cutting trees, and then tried to use sex appeal to sell the game. At least we have the import to fall back on, even though I've never even played my original copy due to Sony's asinine anti-mod protection. I had to download a cracked copy and play that, leaving the legit one on the shelf. Way to go!

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
I got a pretty cool Parappa stuffed animal with a cool gold chain I added :)
I'll take a snapshot when there is light out. Also I've always wanted to buy this but it's always out of stock:

image.jpg

john tv

This is probably going to pain some of you (especially JackFrost), but you just reminded me that I actually got one of those Lammy guitars from Sony back when they first came out (prolly the same one Inshite was giving away). I didn't really have any room for it so I gave it away to one of my coworkers who liked to play...

(runs and hides)

john tv said:
This is probably going to pain some of you (especially JackFrost)

No. Especially me!

I'm just sad you didn't take any of your trademark high-res pictures of it before you let it go. :(

Someone actually offered to sell me one years ago, but we lost contact and now I can't even remember the guy's name. It was some random dude from IRC.

That said, if any of you writers know anyone who still has one around, I'd put up a couple hun if your friends are interested in selling me one. And hey, I'll actually play it! None of that lame leave-it-in-a-box collecting here, I wanna rock the night away on one of those bad mothers.

John, I've envied you before... but now I'll think of you as The guy with so much cool stuff that a rare Um Jammer Lammy guitar found its way onto his To Give Away list.

bobbyconover said:
I only ever mp3d a few of them for some idiotic reason, so I think I'll dig up the master tape and see about finishing the rest. I'll let you know when I finish. Are you on AIM, Orkut, or anything like that? I can send you the ones I have so far if you don't want to wait for the full batch. Just to reiterate, we're talking about a 28.8 webcast stream taped onto a cassette from my soundblaster "out" line and then recorded back in as mp3s, so the quality is pretty freaking bad. It's totally worth it though.
IM information can be found in my profile, but I'd be just as happy to wait for the full thing unless you're like me and wouldn't get around to it for months. :D Quality sounds like it will be pretty bad, but the fact that it sounds like you have the whole thing makes up for it. I listened to the same low-bitrate stream live, but kept getting cut off.

I was aware of the "desert" change in the US version, but I didn't know that they made lyrics changes in other songs too... Um Jammer Lammy was a fun game, even though I never did understand how to get the Cool ranking (could never do it with Parappa either)..

Top Bottom