• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Great Conker Comparison (N64 v XBOX)

olimario

Banned
ManaByte said:
The game looks better than most Xbox 360 games.

wow2db.jpg

But really, you are.

Monk

Banned
You are exaggerating right? Xbox360 looks better albeit not by much... *runs and hides under rock*

ManaByte

Gold Member
I mean, if they delayed this another few months and just put it on the Xbox 360 as a launch title it'd do better than Kameo.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Ok, I feel like I'm just asking to be treated like the N64 logo, but...

I find myself preferring some of the older artistic elements to some of the newer ones. Especially the grey squirrels... in the N64 game, they look like cute, innocent little guys, off to their doom... in the Xbox version, they look all gruff and battle-weary. The first version of them just seems so much funnier in the context.

I wonder: will this game actually sell? :lol Looks great to me, but there's no doubt it's not 'mature' enough for the Xbox crowd (It isn't a generic FPS/sports/racing game)...

Hajaz

ManaByte said:
The game looks better than most Xbox 360 games.

sigh...

b3d:
"It will be very interesting to see the performance and quality of graphics it is able to produce once developers have had decent access to development kits based on the final hardware, however we suspect that it won't be until the second generation of XBOX 360 titles before we see developers being able to seriously scratch the surface of understanding the processing capabilities of Xenos and the XBOX 360 as a whole. That being said, though, much of the architecture is transparent to the developer and they shouldn't need to concern themselves much with the types of workloads they are handing to the graphics processor as this will all be handled automatically, and without stalling any part of the pipeline."

better than 360 is a VERY stupid comparison.
has anyone REALLY seen a 360 game? no? exactly.

why is this even a point of discusion??? :)

on topic: form the clips i have seen and from playing the demo, im quite disappointed that the game IS the n64 version. has the age of outrage ended?

do people accept gfx ports of old games? why arent you guys ranting about why this 'new' conker game isnt really new???
same with the twin snakes... has the world gone mad?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Templar Wizard said:

on topic: form the clips i have seen and from playing the demo, im quite disappointed that the game IS the n64 version. has the age of outrage ended?

do people accept gfx ports of old games? why arent you guys ranting about why this 'new' conker game isnt really new???

Its not black and white though.

In this case, its a game that got good critical reviews, but almost nobody played due to the platform and the timing of its release. In some ways you could argue that its allowing people to finally see what all the fuss was about (of course, the world has moved on in all this time, so it may be antiquated rubbish, but I've never played it so I'll reserve judgement)

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Looks great. I see Conker got his commission -- he's a 2nd LT in the new version of the Storming the Beach level, whereas he was a Corporal in the N64 version.

StRaNgE

Banned
i miss the cute fuzzie teddies in multiplayer capture the flag instead of all these biomech looking crossbreads. hoping that the regular stuffed bears are still a playable charecter.

when is the release date again?
soon right?

akascream

Banned
Lol, I was pretty suprised how well the N64 version held its ground. Especially in the opening sequence with the flickering lights. Xbox version has some pretty low res textures, though Conker himself looks really good. Can't wait to pick up the Xbox version.

Hehe, the N64 version looks bloodier, and the cavewoman boobs bounce better.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The game looks quite amazing, no doubt about it. The quality really is close to what we've seen in a lot of early 360 games.

Juice

Graphics aside, the controls in the demo just didn't feel like they held up much to me. I'd been concurrently trying out Conker 64 and I was blaming the controls on a worn down analog stick.

It's almost like Rare is simulating said worn down stick for a more authentic experience, because the analog control was just kinda clunky. *but i'm sure this is just me*

Oh, and LMAO at the guy who said they should put it on 360 day 1. He's right, it'd be the best selling launch title.

dark10x

newsguy said:

Yes!

Perhaps it is more fair to say that this game would not be out of place amongst the 360 library (as we know it).

Lol, I was pretty suprised how well the N64 version held its ground. Especially in the opening sequence with the flickering lights. Xbox version has some pretty low res textures, though Conker himself looks really good. Can't wait to pick up the Xbox version.

Just wait until you try it. It looks really impressive in person. I've already done this comparison in person and the difference is more pronounced than you'd think.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Juice said:
Graphics aside, the controls in the demo just didn't feel like they held up much to me. I'd been concurrently trying out Conker 64 and I was blaming the controls on a worn down analog stick.

It's almost like Rare is simulating said worn down stick for a more authentic experience, because the analog control was just kinda clunky. *but i'm sure this is just me*
I don't think so. I had the same complaint at E3 and thought the controls should have been tightened up.

dorio

Banned
Considering that this is the best looking xbox game, I'm not surprised that it would look as good as 360 games still in development.

stewy

What I really notice in that comparison demo is how much dynamic lighting really adds to the game. Especially on the storming the beach bit. Outside of the obviously better graphics, everything just looks so much better when the big explosions light up the whole area.

.hacked

Templar Wizard said:

1st off many people did not play the original.

2nd there is a entirely new multiplayer mode.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Conker 64 looks a heck of alot more impressive for a last gen. N64 game than its counterpart does for a last gen. Xbox game. I'll bet most people expected most of the 1st generation PS2/GCN/XBX games to look that good.

dark10x

Gahiggidy said:
Conker 64 looks a heck of alot more impressive for a last gen. N64 game than its counterpart does for a last gen. Xbox game. I'll bet most people expected most of the 1st generation PS2/GCN/XBX games to look that good.

People expected first gen games to look as good as what now? The XBOX version of Conker?

.hacked

Gahiggidy said:

What?

1st gen PS2/GCN/XBX look as good as Conker 64 or as good as Conker Xbox?

Solid

looks great and all but nah.. i'll wait for da drop. i'm not willing to pay more than £15 for this, with all the delays taken in to account.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Mashing said:
WHy does Conker always come out at the end of a consoles life-cycle?

Because Rare loves teh irony.

How many games did they release on the N64 alone? How many games did they squeeze out this gen?

N64:

Blast Corps
Killer Instinct Gold
Goldeneye
Banjo Kazooie
Diddy Kong Racing
Banjo-Tooie
Jet Force Gemini
Mickey's Speedway USA
Perfect Dark
Conker's Bad-Fur Day

Gamecube:
Star Fox Adventures

XBox:
Grabbed By The Ghoulies
Conker's Bad-Fur Day

To the best of my knowledge

PhatSaqs

Banned
Meatpuppet said:
N64:

Blast Corps
Killer Instinct Gold
Goldeneye
Banjo Kazooie
Diddy Kong Racing
Banjo-Tooie
Jet Force Gemini
Mickey's Speedway USA
Perfect Dark
Conker's Bad-Fur Day

Gamecube:
Star Fox Adventures

XBox:
Grabbed By The Ghoulies
Conker's Bad-Fur Day

I think this paints a good picture of a starving person vs. a fat person.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Meatpuppet said:
N64:

Blast Corps
Killer Instinct Gold
Goldeneye
Banjo Kazooie
Diddy Kong Racing
Banjo-Tooie
Jet Force Gemini
Mickey's Speedway USA
Perfect Dark
Conker's Bad-Fur Day

Gamecube:
Star Fox Adventures

XBox:
Grabbed By The Ghoulies
Conker's Bad-Fur Day

They did Donkey Kong 64 as well, didn't they?

Man, what happened? Most of those N64 titles were great games as well. Both SFA and Grabbed by the Ghoulies were mediocre at best.

Ranger X

tedtropy said:
They did Donkey Kong 64 as well, didn't they?

Man, what happened? Most of those N64 titles were great games as well. Both SFA and Grabbed by the Ghoulies were mediocre at best.

Nintendo forseen their decadence and got rid of them lol. Best Nintendo move since the N64 era, there i said it.

ohamsie

DavidDayton said:
Ok, I feel like I'm just asking to be treated like the N64 logo, but...

I find myself preferring some of the older artistic elements to some of the newer ones. Especially the grey squirrels... in the N64 game, they look like cute, innocent little guys, off to their doom... in the Xbox version, they look all gruff and battle-weary. The first version of them just seems so much funnier in the context.

I preferred the jittery wide eyed squirrels to the grizzled looking ones too. I think they should have given different facial features to a few of the squirrels.

Top Bottom