• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Great (Free or Semi-Free) PC Games every gamer should play...

Priz

A few of us were chatting about it and thought someone should make a list of all these great free or cheap games that people should know about and check out. I thought I'd kick off the list with a few favorites of mine.

Abuse for Windows - Great sidescrolling shooter... has this whole Alien vs. Predator theme to it... fun stuff and now updated for windows with a free release (since the death of crack dot com).

Abuse.jpg

Bungie's Myth series - A great realtime strategy game series, which people are doing amazing updates for and setting up free networks to play on.

mythbox.jpg

O2 Jam - This was a fun little music game we found in Kentia hall. I never was a big fan of Beatmania or such, but I really enjoy this game. It's a Korean game and the people who distribute it in Malaysia have made an english version for download.

o2jam.jpg

Subspace - An old game from Virgin Interactive Entertainment which sat in beta for years and then hit store shelves, only to bomb (I believe there was a monthly fee and such). Now available free on the net, lots of mods and other goodies are out there for it...

Anyone else who wants to add other games to this list, feel free. I thought I'd just list a few to get people started. I highly recommend the first 3.

mattx5

Subspace kicks ass, I had to uninstall it, it was so fuckin addictive. But now that summer's here..... ;)

Gunbound is great for some Worms-esque action.

Enemy Territory is good for some FPS action.

hobbitx

Abuse for Windows - Great sidescrolling shooter... has this whole Alien vs. Predator theme to it... fun stuff and now updated for windows with a free release (since the death of crack dot com).

Good sir, I am indebted to you for life, best game I've played in weeks. As popular as this game seems to be, is there any other good games that borrowed this style of play for pc?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Abuse = godly, I just wish it was much, much... longer.

hobbitx - i don't think so, but they should damnit. it was the greatest sidescroller shooting method ever made.

DopeyFish

im not sure if anyone remembers a game made a long time ago for PC

it was sort of Worms/Scorched earth-esque but it was in space, you would be attached to a planet and you use an insane amount of firepower to take everyone out. I remember that i enjoyed it very much.

hobbitx

I'm loving Abuse to death, but the one thing is the setup is kinda cramping my hand a little. Is there anyway I can remap some of the keys so I can use the wasd format with this game?

-100000 to this thread for not mentioning the granddaddy, world heavyweight champion of the free PC games (and arguably anything to do with PC games) realm...

NetHack.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
wait, how come I have yet to see STARCRAFT 2 mentioned? Possibly one of the greatest games ever, now freely available as "masters of the ur-quan" or something like that.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
About O2Jam:

what's with all the e-games, and point cards and stuff? Can you only play it online? And do you have to pay for it? And it seems like this patch downloading will take forever. :(

DopeyFish

kiriku - i dunno i dunno i dunno, when i registered i was like "gimme a free cd key damnit" and they did. the game worked, so i have no clue what all that stuff is about :)

and i completely suck at the game too, like really bad. i'm getting scores on the easiest setting as parallel as me playing DDR on extreme :)

Belfast

I think they started charging for O2Jam, actually. Maybe the only reason it seems free is because you're getting a free trial or something.

DopeyFish

darn, and i was just starting to get good at o2jam :)

hahaha when i was looking through the item area... out of all things... A LEAFS JERSEY! :):):) hahaha awesome. *buys*

Belfast

I have no idea, though. Maybe it is still free. Anyway, this is the first time I've actually been able to play it. It always screwed up on my other computer for one reason or another.

Its actually pretty fun and more enjoyable than I thought it would be. My music gaming skills show through already, easily beating 4s and 5s right off the bat, but ultimately the control format is screwing me up some. I suppose its ideal for this kind of game, but I'm just too used to the alternating diagonal keys of Pop N Music and Beatmania. It'll just take a little while to fully get used to O2Jam's setup.

DopeyFish

Belfast said:
I have no idea, though. Maybe it is still free. Anyway, this is the first time I've actually been able to play it. It always screwed up on my other computer for one reason or another.

Its actually pretty fun and more enjoyable than I thought it would be. My music gaming skills show through already, easily beating 4s and 5s right off the bat, but ultimately the control format is screwing me up some. I suppose its ideal for this kind of game, but I'm just too used to the alternating diagonal keys of Pop N Music and Beatmania. It'll just take a little while to fully get used to O2Jam's setup.

you can change the keys in settings...

maybe to something like beatmania?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
The only key that gets me(and it constantly gets me) is the space bar. I have stupid thumbs. They don't work well with my other fingers.

Anybody try to download the extra songs in it? I got the full version and the download was incredibly fast, but once I connect to the game to get the extra songs, it takes about a half hour apiece.

Keio

For a Finer World
Bregor said:
What shape is the current build in? Last time I visited their site it seemed as if the game was still in a very alpha like stage.

I've been playing Ur Quan Masters for a few hours and it works really well. Using the latest snapshot (e.g. not the latest release version) from their homepage.

Better than the original, especially when played in 1024x768 with pixel filtering. It looks very clean.

Also the add-on music packs (which even contain remixes by original composers) are very good.

One of my favourite games ever!

Psymon

Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars:
http://shop.paysecurely.com/soldout...old-out.co.uk/soldout/prodlive/bs1.html&cat=1

packL.jpg

GET. IT. NOW! It's rather semi-free if you look at it like this: "Hey, I can actually get one of the best adventure games ever made for £5+additional shipping!"

Zoo Keeper:
http://jp.shockwave.com/games/puzzles/zookeeper/zookeeper.html

Simply put: omg :O
I don't know if there's a console version of it (let me know if there is!), but Nintendo HAS to license this and release a Zoo Keeper DS (Why DS? The stylus & touch screen of course!).

Takosuke

You can find a GBA version of ZOOO as well as a PS2 version (Simple lite 2000 collection).
Soon, there will be an arcade Version too !

Zooo rocks my world better than infogrames ;p

Priz

Psymon said:
Zoo Keeper:
http://jp.shockwave.com/games/puzzles/zookeeper/zookeeper.html

Simply put: omg :O
I don't know if there's a console version of it (let me know if there is!), but Nintendo HAS to license this and release a Zoo Keeper DS (Why DS? The stylus & touch screen of course!).

Check out Bejeweled:
http://www.popcap.com/launchpage.php?theGame=bejeweled&src=big8

There's variants on it like Diamond Mine, but it's all the same game.

There's the new xbox live service to play games you download off the service online, I believe Diamond Mine is the one they'll use. I know there's PDA versions of Bejeweled...
and of course, PA's mention of it:

20010108l.gif

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I really appreciate the O2Jam link and I value the developer's efforts but all of that is completely negated by the horrible signup method and general asinine method of getting the game to run. CD Keys, ~700 meg download, 24 hour time trial?

Priz

When I saw it at E3, they said O2Jam was free... I REALLY wished it had an offline mode. I'd like to just play the game/practice without having to get onto the server and such.

The people at the company gave me the URL for the english version. I went to the site, had to wait a few days for them to get the online reg up so I could even play.

I'm mainly doing 1 and 2 star songs, but I'm getting better. You go to the arcades these days and games like Beatmania are so far along, there's no way in hell a n00b could jump in (unless they were already good at these type of games). They removed all the easy stuff.

From what I can tell, the company in Malaysia is getting a little greedy and going to Pay 2 Play. For the whole month of June, you get 1000 free credits to put into the games. I saw something about if you don't allocate credits, then it'll auto deduct 5 credits per hour of game you play. They're testing the P2P service. After that, in July and on when they start charging, everyone who's signed up will receive free 500 credits towards playing the games.

Maybe we can get a free site here to license the game for the US. We have an english version of the game. All it really needs is to be told to use the different server.

Belfast

DopeyFish said:
you can change the keys in settings...

maybe to something like beatmania?

Nah, the Beatmania setup SUCKS on a keyboard. If I'm going to play BM, I need the specialized controller. :)

Edit: Also, if you actually have access to Beatmania in an arcade, try playing 5-key mode. Not super-easy, but certainly easier for some songs.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I just want them to offer a free downloadable trial of the game with no signup required and give you an offline mode to understand the game mechanics and enjoy it. No time limit, no registering, no need to communicate them whatsoever. A simple download link and you're done.

The game has certainly piqued my interest and I did make an effort to go through the registration process and I even downloaded the ~700 meg file.

Priz

Tenguman said:
Bungie should dump shitty Halo and return to Myth

HELLYEAH!

But seriously, I love the projects that people are doing. Improving the source code for the older games, adding OpenGL support for the first one (since I no longer have my 3Dfx card and the software rendering looks like crap)... :)

Tenguman

Priz said:
HELLYEAH!

But seriously, I love the projects that people are doing. Improving the source code for the older games, adding OpenGL support for the first one (since I no longer have my 3Dfx card and the software rendering looks like crap)... :)
Where can i get this opengl support?

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/

Site for Adventure Game Studio, software that lets you make point & click adventure games. The site also lists the games that have been made with the software, some of which are quite good. Among the games are the King's Quest I & II remakes that Orin mentioned, as well as a Maniac Mansion remake and a hilarious "sequel" to Quest for Glory.

Top Bottom