• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What should I play....I have choice paralysis....

Which game should I go for next?

• Total voters

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Hey squad,

Help me out, I'm stuck in a rut of choice paralysis..After a year of insane releases and finally chipping a few releases of the list, I can't decide what to play next. There's been so many amazing games and now I'm in that kinda lull after fully completing Jedi Survivor.

I've just completed cocoon and planet of lana, which were both amazing and I want to start working through the big games I want to complete, before shit gets crazy in 2024 again.

So, from the poll choices...what do you guys think I should jump on next, and any specific reasons why? I'm kinda leaning on completing Alan wake 2 as I'm a big fan of the first and I have a great PC but I feel like I could do with something absorbing and a bit light hearted to start 2024....

So go for it! The games are all ones I own and want to play hopefully before FfVII. Games I've purchased and haven't had chance to play.

Just thought it would be fun to try this. Might set up a stream and play on twitch.

Tbh, there's probably more games but these are the stand out ones that came to mine without really having to think.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
My answer to these questions are always the same: go with the shortest game.

Haven't played all of these games but I know for a fact you can knock out Super Mario Wonder in a single evening so that would be a good pick.

Stuff like Xenoblade, Persona and Baldur's gate will easily take a 100 hours each so skip them for last

GHG

Baldur's Gate 3.

If not then Alan Wake 2, but only if you've already played through the original Alan Wake + American nightmare and control + all the DLC.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Yeah anouther one for Persona 5 Royal, I wish I could selectively remove my memory so I could play it fresh all over again.

The only one that's a hard "no" from me is Avatar. I REALLY wanted to like the game, and broke my "I won't buy Ubisoft games" promise I have kept for almost 5 years now just to try it...

Man was I disappointed, even the lauded 3D audioscape wasn't that impressive, I mean from a technical stand point it is, but from a result standpoint it was just uhhhhh.

Depends on your mood.

A lot of stuff I see is for graphics, along with Nintendo stuff. Not too much overlap IMHO.

Since you just finished a couple of indie games, i vote for Baldurs Gate 3.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Haven't played all of these games but I know for a fact you can knock out Super Mario Wonder in a single evening so that would be a good pick.

Stuff like Xenoblade, Persona and Baldur's gate will easily take a 100 hours each so skip them for last

Dead Space remake, Super Mario Wonder or Metroid Prime remastered.

These sound like great suggestions. I'm thinking chip away at the shorter games first so I get in a rhythm and feel a sense of accomplishment completing games....but then I have this nagging feeling of don't miss out on balders gate 3, cyberpunk etc.

I've had p5r sealed on ps4 since release and now own it on xbox and I made that choice with that game, hold off until you've completed these other shorter ones....that's gone on for years.

Reactions: Isa

LastBattle

I would say given you payed a big game like Jedi survivor, and two palette cleansers like Cocoon and Planet of Lana, I would go for a mid size story driven experience like AW2. Especially considering you loved the first. It really is great. Dead Space remake would be my second choice, given it’s also a mid sized game and different to Jedi Survivor, Cocoon and a planet of Lana. That’s how I’d roll at least.

Mario Wonder would also be an excellent choice given its unique to what you’ve played recently

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I get choice paralysis when buying games!

But here’s what I’d do…

You mostly have a bunch of time sinks here.

I’d tackle Dead Space first, making that your main, while playing Asgard and Mario Wonder on the side.

After Dead Space is done I’d go Baldur’s Gate 3.

When you finish Mario I’d make Alan Wake 2 the next side game.

Robb

Gold Member
There’s so many bangers in that list. Might as well just blindly throw a dart at a board and pick the game it lands on.

But I’d start with Humanity or Super Mario Bros. Wonder personally.

If you have buddies to co-op with, Baldur's Gate 3 is amazing.

If you don't have buddies to co-op with, Baldur's Gate 3 is amazing.

Just play Baldur's Gate 3.

K2D

Banned
Indie games! I've got 1600 hours on record on Binding of Isaac and probably more not on record. It's been good when I don't know what to play.

Also recommend Fallout 1 Et Tu (1 in 2) and Fallout 2 Restoration.

SHA

Start with the story mindset, it's easier this way cause later on, games will just click and you'll jump straight to gameplay mode, let it come naturally, don't try to rush through by skipping the beginning that supposedly make the game believable. games like aw2, ds remake, and then Mario, bg3, you get the point.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
P5R

91aeb3eb9ee689f540fe097478fc6317.gif

SJRB

Gold Member
If you want lighthearted, Dave the Diver is perfect. Great and addictive gameplay, nice visuals, dope music. Constant dopamine hits keep the juices flowing.

Other than that you can’t go wrong with Alan Wake II, Phantom Liberty or Baldur’s Gate, all of which have won a ton of awards.

StereoVsn

If you like JRPGs and haven’t played at least P5 vanilla, Persona 5R is really a no brainer.

Despite some issues it is a great ride.

Edit: Missed BG3 on the list. That’s some tough choice. Can’t lose with either pick. Both are 100 hour RPGs.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

Yeah if you have choice paralysis, there is a good chance that if you start a long game you will get an hour or two in and then change your mind and start something else. Go with a game that you will have progressed enough in at the 2 hour mark that you will commit to finishing.

dorkimoe

Save avatar for when you want a collecting game. That’s all it basically is. Playing it now and it’s a chore and the combat is not good.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Added ACVI and Robocop as I'd forgotten them.

Looks like cyberpunk is leading the charge.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
First whittle it down to the great games.

Armoured Core, Mario Wonder, Balder’s Gate and Metroid Prime (if you’ve never played it before).

Then choose the order.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I'm thinking mario wonder is a must as it can also be enjoyed as a side piece. Just blasting out levels when possible.

Then there's the meat and potato's!
I am playing this through 2 player with my son at the moment and its a blast. Very pick up and play, you can choose to play as Yoshi if you want an easier time (although to be honest, it’s not a punishing game). We’ve put in 5 hours since Christmas and I’ve read you can be done with it in 10. Nice little game. Can definitely be played alongside something else if you just want to do a level or 2 a night.

Killer8

Play something short in the short term and chip away at something long in the long term. A couple of hours a week of something long like Baldur's Gate 3 will have you beating it in 6 months, keep it fresh in your mind and give you time to play other stuff too.

nemiroff

Gold Member
1. Cyberpunk
2. Baldur's Gate 3
3. Mario Wonder

All VERY different games, so it depends..

Last edited:
Top Bottom