• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA 3 or Morrowind?

Best 6th gen open world game.

• Morrowind

Votes: 51 61.4%
  • GTA 3

Votes: 32 38.6%

• Total voters
I originally posted this months ago, but I accidentally put it in the communities section and no one saw it LOL. So trying again now:

While open world gaming wasn't new, both Morrowind and Grand Theft Auto 3 were often cited as benchmarks in open world game design due to their popularity and critical acclaim, closely releasing near each other.

Looking back which game did you think was better in that gameplay aspect? In my opinion I always though Morrowind would be the game that aged better, and I think I called that correctly. GTA 3 always had jank movements and poor controls that were fixed with its sequels, nor was GTA 3 a graphical showcase. Morrowind was a graphical showcase for the time, had a more believable world, and they nailed the controls and combat in comparison. I think most people skip GTA 3 when they go back to play older GTA games while Morrowind is still being modded or played on Xbox Backwards Compatibility today.

Pollux

Morrowind - being able to just go out and do things - kill people that were vital to the main quest and just keep going with nothing more than a warning? That was mindblowing when I was a kid. GTA was crazy, but Morrowind was a whole different level of open world and choice that still draws me back to this day.

Both of these games are great, but kind of an "apples & oranges" comparison to me. While they may have both offered a decent open world everything else about them is so different......

Pagusas

Elden Member
Wow, two juggernauts that both had major influences on gaming, I can’t pick. That’s like asking to pick FF7 or Mario 64. Just both man.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
How much time you got? GTA is 10-15 hours, Morrowind is 50 hours.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
How much time you got? GTA is 10-15 hours, Morrowind is 50 hours.
GTA was not a 10h/15h game for me. More of a 70h one. And it had freedom that was huge conpared to all the games made before it.
Morowind was out on xbox after vice city( who had amazing map and you could buy business and make missions for them, and it was awesome). I can accept that a game that was out 1 year after GTA 3 and in a more powerful console can beat it but GTA 3 influence is bigger.

GTA was not a 10h/15h game for me. More of a 70h one. And it had freedom that was huge conpared to all the games made before it.
Morowind was out on xbox after vice city( who had amazing map and you could buy business and make missions for them, and it was awesome). I can accept that a game that was out 1 year after GTA 3 and in a more powerful console can beat it but GTA 3 influence is bigger.

GTA3 is one of the least influencing games out there, it gets that tag because of popularity and the fanbase, it wasn't even the biggest open game when it released and borrowed elements from many other games. Almost every clone failed and few open world games outside of the clones used it's formula.

Honestly, for influencing open world games in size and interaction you have to give credit to David. People won't admit it because he's toxic to be associated with but the amount of stuff open world games took from Cage is excessive.

GymWolf

Gta3 kinda started my love for open worlds, it was the only game where i did 10 consecutive hours of gameplay, i could not believe what was in front of my eyes, the absolute freedom and a huge luna park to nerd on.

I played morrowind on xbox and it was good but the gameplay was just clunky as hell.

Gta 3 wins by a good margin.

Last edited:

Laptop1991

I played GTA 3 after playing Vice City, so i wasn't impressed with it and it had a lot of things missing that i loved about VC, not GTA 3's fault, i played them in the wrong order,

I played Morrowind just before Oblivion came out, and while i much preferred Oblivion i still liked Morrowind and played them in the right order lol, so Morrowind gets my vote,

GTA 3 to Vice City was a big jump in gameplay mechanics, Voice acting etc, which is what games should do with sequel's, so did Oblivion but the atmosphere and setting was completely different, so it didn't count as much.

Humdinger

GTA3 is usually credited with blowing up the open-world genre.

I'm glad to see Morrowind winning, though. I loved that game.

bender

What time is it?
Morrowind is the last great game that Bethesda made before continually dumbing down the mechanics on future titles. GTAIII was also last of it's kind as the mission structure changed and became far more scripted on their future efforts.

Phase

Morrowind is the last great game that Bethesda made before continually dumbing down the mechanics on future titles. GTAIII was also last of it's kind as the mission structure changed and became far more scripted on their future efforts.
What a lovely experience it was. Such a unique feel to the world, and you could do so much in the game given a little effort and time.

morrowind (PC) for the water and music alone.
game requires a small blood sacrifice to play it though.

if you played it on console, not even sure its the same game.
like ut99 on ps2.

Last edited:

Fluo

As much as I loved flying the dodo in GTA3 post-game, Morrowind is in a class of its own. A trippy masterpiece the likes of which we'll never see again.

Last edited:

Aenima

GTA3 just because Morrowind was the first game to crash one of my consoles.
But very diferent expeiences and both amazing games. Im glad i could play both and not really had to pick just one. GTA3 made me love GTA games, and Morrowind made me love Elder Scrolls games.

Morrowind - being able to just go out and do things - kill people that were vital to the main quest and just keep going with nothing more than a warning? That was mindblowing when I was a kid. GTA was crazy, but Morrowind was a whole different level of open world and choice that still draws me back to this day.
Morrowind?
nerd-the-simpsons.gif

Top Bottom