• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The graphics gap between Red Dead Redemption 2 and GTA 6 will be greater than the one we experienced between GTA 5 and RDR 2"

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Some character faces in cutscenes, I agree. Most other things have aged very nicely, I'd say.
RDR2 has indeed aged nicely but it is also been topped in many other respects. I think RDR2's cinematography and art design are keeping it from aging poorly. The only great tech thing it does right is the draw distance which is still way higher than most current gen games.

Other than that though, the character models, foliage quality, trees, asset quality in buildings, and lighting has been topped in games like cyberpunk, spiderman 2, horizon and several other modern games. Rockstar has a lot of room for improvement. the leak does have great lighting so it seems like they have indeed improved their tech. Just not to the extent we were hoping for.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
We saw the leaks, it was okay. Not UE5 Matrix levels of density. It was okay.
that supposed leak could have been from an early alpha, a tech demo anything we don't know. The game will get better looking without a doubt. My concern is on consoles were going to get the standard 30FPS experience, and PC will have to wait a full year for a release, than in 3 years we get a 60FPS, RT version, etc they will milk this with 100 editions over the next 7 years.

StueyDuck

i don't like this article, it's giving false hope based clearly of comments from their arseholes...

i do hope GTA6 is a sight to behold because Rockstar simply make the best open worlds.

but we shouldn't let random nerds on the internet who want to be famous build unachievable hype which in return can adversely affect a game once it's finally shown/played.

Starfield was barely a few months ago and we still haven't learnt our lessons, judge the product and not what losers on the internet say.

Last edited:
WATER: Rockstar Games has therefore decided to develop a new technology concerning water physics and integrate it into their next project, GTA 6. The team in charge of this mission is called the « RAGE Technology Group« , a subdivision of the Rockstar San Diego studio that developed and released the starry firm's proprietary engine in 2006. The team is composed of twenty-ish engineers with in-depth knowledge of programming, real-time physics simulation, understanding of memory padding considerations, linear algebra, trigonometry, matrix and quaternion mathematics. After months of research, experimentation and optimization, engineers at the Californian studio have achieved the feat of physically simulating water in an open-world video game in real time.

Bunch of horseshit!

This is never going to be more than a pipe dream. Games will forever be relegated to simplistic approximations of fluid surface dynamics. No one should even be trying to solve full volumetric fluid dynamics simulation in real-time because it's a huge waste of resources.

For a game like GTA, the surface dynamics and sub-surface visual effects are more than enough. Why bother shitting away a massive chunk of your performance budget on volumetric fluid simulation when the player will spend all their time either floating on the surface or swimming below it (where the sub-surface dynamics are almost invisible)?

The stupid techno-babble and amateur wording suggests this is written by a twelve-year-old trying to concoct his most convincing fake GTA leak.

Last edited:
"linear algebra, trigonometry, matrix and quaternion mathematics."

Whoever it is I don't think these things are as impressive to real developers as he thinks they are. Makes me question the sources validity.

Our developers know what happens when train A leaves the station 2 hours after train B.

Neilg

The article is just a random dude fantasizing. Some of it might end up being true (improving water? Sure) but so, so much of that is complete bollocks and conjecture. Giving every random dudes opinion spouted as fact a thread will get old quick - this speculative fiction is only going to get worse after the trailer drops.

Stafford

RDR2 has indeed aged nicely but it is also been topped in many other respects. I think RDR2's cinematography and art design are keeping it from aging poorly. The only great tech thing it does right is the draw distance which is still way higher than most current gen games.

Other than that though, the character models, foliage quality, trees, asset quality in buildings, and lighting has been topped in games like cyberpunk, spiderman 2, horizon and several other modern games. Rockstar has a lot of room for improvement. the leak does have great lighting so it seems like they have indeed improved their tech. Just not to the extent we were hoping for.

Even on PC it doesn't hold up? I played on XSX and I definitely saw it had aged in several aspects but on PC I would imagine it's still amazing?

As for VI. Well, the leak last year gave us a good indication of where this was going. It's clearly less colorful than V too, it's more like RDR2, lighting already was nice in the leak but nothing too shocking. I do hope it's significantly better in the trailer.

Some people seem to expect UE5 Matrix demo graphics, they shouldn't.

Stafford

Rockstar isnt skipping the massive old generation of consoles install base.

Because of GTA Online? Yeah, that is the big difference between RDR2 that only launched on One and PS4 and GTA. Had they made RDR3 instead of GTA VI current gen only would have been a given.

But man, it is TIME to leave those systems behind.

SlimySnake

Even on PC it doesn't hold up? I played on XSX and I definitely saw it had aged in several aspects but on PC I would imagine it's still amazing?
I play maxed out on PC and it definitely looks great, but compared to other games its showing its age. I think the water and bigger draw distance in the PC version are the two biggest upgrades. I played this at native 4k on x1x and then at native 4k 60 fps maxed out on PC and didnt notice a massive leap. Some improvements here and there but its the same game overall.

What is amazing about the game is the lighting or rather the cinematography. That will never age. Rockstar poured a lot of resources in making every area look stunning in every lighting condition. most other games cant afford to have that level of consistency. Avatar is next gen in almost single aspect but you can tell how inconsistent it looks even in their own marketing trailers. RDR2 almost never looks meh or average. Except maybe in Guarma which is an area that kind of exposes the engine's shortcomings since it didnt get the love other areas got in the mainland.

As for VI. Well, the leak last year gave us a good indication of where this was going. It's clearly less colorful than V too, it's more like RDR2, lighting already was nice in the leak but nothing too shocking. I do hope it's significantly better in the trailer.

Some people seem to expect UE5 Matrix demo graphics, they shouldn't.
Have you seen the latest leak? its definitely more colorful than RDR2. It doesnt feel a generation ahead of RDR2, but its a noticeable upgrade. You can definitely see the resemblance if you compare it to RDR2's dusk lighting. Same engine look, just better.

Bond007

I expect a beautiful game- but it has never crossed my mind this would be some Horizon level of beauty. GTA is just absolutely massive with incredible detail, its a balancing act.
RDR2 is still gorgeous and I at least expect GTA to eclipse that. Anything more is a cherry on top.

Last edited:
If GTA 6 came out in 2018 instead of RDR2 it would look nowhere near as good as RDR2. Driving vehicles at 150mph while also rendering a fully realized city is something RDR2 never had to worry about. So no, I don't think the jump to GTA 6 will be as big of a graphical leap. I would actually prefer Rockstar focus on the density of the city over the graphical fidelity. I still expect GTA 6 to be the gold standard for graphics in open world games, but it would be dumb to expect Matrix demo level graphics for a game of this magnitude. Can't wait for graphics whores to throw a shit fit over it

Last edited:

GymWolf

If GTA 6 came out in 2018 instead of RDR2 it would look nowhere near as good. Driving vehicles at 150mph while also rendering a fully realized city is something RDR2 never had to worry about. So no, I don't think the leap to GTA 6 will be as big of a graphical leap. I would actually prefer Rockstar focus on the density of the city over the graphical fidelity. I still expect GTA 6 to be the gold standard for graphics in open world games, but it would be dumb to expect Matrix demo level graphics for a game of this magnitude
People are in for a rude awakening if they expect king of graphic from gta6.

The game is gonna deliver in its city simulation that is gonna make games like spidey 2 or cyberpunk look like smartphone games in comparison.

People better lower their expectations graphic wise.

People are in for a rude awakening if they expect king of graphic from gta6.

The game is gonna deliver in its city simulation that is gonna make games like spidey 2 or cyberpunk look like smartphone games in comparison.

People better lower their expectations graphic wise.
Lol, don't lump SM2 with GTA or Cyberpunk. The city is meant to be a pretty landscape to swing around in. It was never developed to be interactive at anything but a basic level. It's like bitching about Forza Horizon games for being empty and not having fully realized city streets

Last edited:

YCoCg

The leaked footage from the other day showed the game has a Performance Mode running at 1440p and upscaled using FSR2.3 to 2160p, it also looked like it has RT GI, combine that with GTAV already having RT Reflections and RT Shadows in Performance Mode AND if they do something non-visual based like bringing back the more advanced physics from GTA IV/Max Payne 3 then in all honesty I'd be happy with that.

GustavoLT

I´m worried about performance... since Rockstar is kind of FromSoftware´s performance wise!

every single GTA released on consoles have bad fps!!! like 30-!

SlimySnake

From the leaked trailer, i can say its an extension of RDR2, but not a complete revamp. That said, the sense of scale is simply on another level. Its like that cyberpunk reveal trailer only on steroids. Its insane.

Actual graphics fidelity might not be matrix like but everything else is just holy shit.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I think when its all said and done he will be right. This looked INCREDIBLE. And Im hard to impress.

The world feels fucking alive just from the trailer.

DaGwaphics

Who knows if anything about the OP is informed or not, but it seems obvious to think they'll push things further if they are current-gen only. They always have before, I don't see why this time around will be any different.

Will it be as noticeable overall? I guess we'll have to wait and see, diminishing returns of greater processing power and all that.

Trailer looked great to me. I found the Southern trash angle funny for sure.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

We just got a pretty good look yesterday via the one of the lead devs children on his socials...and yes, it looks to be VERY good looking. Hope it's a better game than V though, that was one of my biggest gaming disappointments ever after the superb IV and it's two expansions.
Yep, IV and the expansions were very good from SP perspective. V kind of sucked story wise, IMO.

And I don’t expect VI to be better. Hopefully sandbox, interactivity, physics and AI at least improve. Not just pretty graphics.

"The graphics gap between Red Dead Redemption 2 and GTA 6 will be greater than the one we experienced between GTA 5 and RDR 2"

More at the link below:

https://www.rockstarmag.fr/gta-6-im...-of-the-rage-engine-a-rockstar-mag-exclusive/

R* Ain't playing. Game should be something else. About time we get a real graphical showcase this gen. I'm sick of forcing myself to be impressed. Fucking bring it.

Physics. Animation. Destruction. Fidelity. Bring it all
This gen? Gen will be almost over when it releases. You can expect a lot of other graphical showcases until then.

tommycronin

Banned
rUOAQMi.gif

I’m not seeing it based on that trailer, it looks like a more polished take on RDR2 using GTA. Jason’s face and Arthur’s for example

jiO61eE.jpg

diqGs16.jpg

And this, the best shot in the trailer for me with Flamingos is a more polished take on RDR2 grass, water

4fLenDz.jpg

Just shows how decent RDR2 was for it’s time and a brilliant game imo. What was said in the OP I can’t agree with tho, it’s not that big a step up. It still looking great tho!

Last edited:

Kerotan

RDR
I’m not seeing it based on that trailer, it looks like a more polished take on RDR2 using GTA. Jason’s face and Arthur’s for example

jiO61eE.jpg

diqGs16.jpg

And this, the best shot in the trailer for me with Flamingos is a more polished take on RDR2 grass, water

4fLenDz.jpg

Just shows how decent RDR2 was for it’s time and a brilliant game imo. What was said in the OP I can’t agree with tho, it’s not that big a step up. It still looking great tho!
RDR2 deserves a remaster.

sendit

jiO61eE.jpg

diqGs16.jpg

4fLenDz.jpg

Get your eyes checked. Nothing in RDR2 was as dense, and lively as what we saw in the GTA6 trailer. Every little detail is taken several levels above RDR2.

Last edited:

HighPoly

Banned
Get your eyes checked. Nothing in RDR2 was as dense, and lively as what we saw in the GTA6 trailer. Every little detail is taken several levels above RDR2.

Lighting in GTA 6 is better than Red Dead 2 by far!

Density, nature, world, interactions and probably A.I will be better!

But geometry, texturas, I mean, graphics in general are just a little bit better...
Don't know about cars physics, like, crashing cars...

What do you think?

jiO61eE.jpg

diqGs16.jpg

4fLenDz.jpg

To be fair, they still haven't finished the game and it's probably going to look much better by the time it releases.

Were these leaks written by a 5 year old who thinks that spoilers on sports cars only work in storms? Also the trailer was not that impressive tbh. Pretty weak showing considering it's GTA.

jiO61eE.jpg

diqGs16.jpg

4fLenDz.jpg

I'm just glad the faces don't look like this anymore!

2f08ca-GTA5%202018-08-17%2021-41-45-747.jpg

gta_v_menyoo___trevor_front_face_by_abbysek_deiuqm5-fullview.jpg

Top Bottom