• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA 6 Hacker Sentenced Indefinitely to a Hospital Rehab Program

GHG

Money impacts people's lives too, he cost people a lot of money and stated he intended to keep on doing it, so he's where he needs to be. He can get out whenever he decides to start behaving himself like the rest of us do.

This is a discussion for another time/forum but I think we've lost all sense of humanity when we start doling out harsher punishments for things involving money than we do for ensuring the personal safety of one another.

There's also the fact that he's young and very skilled so could be of use to society in other ways. He's not a lost cause, so locking him up for eternity as if he's a serial killer and causing him to become disillusioned (which will only lead to more and potentially different types of crime) doesn't make a lick of sense.

When the justice system stops making sense, so does society.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This is a discussion for another time/forum but I think we've lost all sense of humanity when we start doling out harsher punishments for things involving money than we do for ensuring the personal safety of one another.

There's also the fact that he's young and very skilled so could be of use to society in other ways. He's not a lost cause, so locking him up for eternity as if he's a serial killer and causing him to become disillusioned (which will only lead to more and potentially different types of crime) doesn't make a lick of sense.
The machine is always going to protect itself more than the peasants. Just like this quote that makes you ponder.

“If the penalty for a crime is a fine, then that law only exists for the lower class.”

My other favorite quote when this ideological power-grab driven world is treating violent criminals better than the victims.
That's why it's called the Criminal Justice System and not Victims Justice System.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

Elysium44

Banned

When the justice system stops making sense, so does society.

He hasn't really been given a harsher sentence. If he is deemed safe for release he would be let out a lot earlier than a murderer / rapist would, who get long minimum sentences before parole is possible.

Elysium44

Banned
The machine is always going to protect itself more than the peasants. Just like this quote that makes you ponder.

He is a member of a hacking group which stole data of the 'peasants' and blackmailed companies to pay millions to stop them releasing it. Please stop romanticising this cunt.

GHG

He hasn't really been given a harsher sentence. If he is deemed safe for release he would be let out a lot earlier than a murderer / rapist would, who get long minimum sentences before parole is possible.

He's not someone who is "unsafe" for society in a traditional sense. He needs some direction and should be paid to use his skills for "good" (if you can define government level hacking as that) rather than being put in a place where he will be mixing with people that will have nothing to offer or teach him.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
He is a member of a hacking group which stole data of the 'peasants' and blackmailed companies to pay millions to stop them releasing it. Please stop romanticising this cunt.
Bro, not romanticizing a thing, so step away from the emotional edge.

I agree with GHG GHG that there are less harsher sentences handed out, often, for far more heinous crimes with actual physical victims or death.

Elysium44

Banned
He's not someone who is "unsafe" for society in a traditional sense. He needs some direction and should be paid to use his skills for "good" (if you can define government level hacking as that) rather than being put in a place where he will be mixing with people that will have nothing to offer or teach him.

If he can be rehabilitated, he will be. Remember, he is already bad and out of control, the justice system didn't make him that way. He was also violent while in custody, he isn't just some sweet innocent kid.

Elysium44

Banned
Bro, not romanticizing a thing, so step away from the emotional edge.

I agree with GHG GHG that there are less harsher sentences handed out, often, for far more heinous crimes with actual physical victims or death.

You agree with something which isn't true? I don't know what to tell you then. GHG is mistaken.

life for just some marketing theft ?!
wtf.
No not just for that. And nor has he been given 'life'.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

The court heard that Kurtaj had been violent while in custody with dozens of reports of injury or property damage.
I wish this was expanded on. Violent in what way? Trashing stuff? The other kid though...
The 17-year-old was sentenced to an 18 month long Youth Rehabilitation Order, including intense supervision and a ban on using VPNs online.

As well as hacking offences the boy was sentenced for what the judge described as "unpleasant and frightening pattern of stalking and harassment" of two young women.

NonPhixion

Clearly something wrong with them mentally. I find it mental that people here think a psychiatric hold is “too harsh”

Hahahahahahahaahhaajja

Elysium44

Banned
I am just wondering, have people who are worshipping this scumbag not read the article where it explains what he did? You just read the clickbait tweet and think he's been given a full life sentence for leaking GTA 6?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I am just wondering, have people who are worshipping this scumbag not read the article where it explains what he did? You just read the clickbait tweet and think he's been given a full life sentence for leaking GTA 6?
Why are you trying to strawman?

I'm the one who even posted more context.
Seems there is more context now. He was hacking while out on bail, and he told the psychiatrist he would continue to hack when he got out. It's not a "life sentence" as long as you show you can rehabilitate.

GHG

If he can be rehabilitated, he will be. Remember, he is already bad and out of control, the justice system didn't make him that way. He was also violent while in custody, he isn't just some sweet innocent kid.

Wouldn't be the first person who gets "violent" during custody and wont be the last, especially youngsters.

He's someone with a talent that could be very useful to the fabric of modern day society. He lacks direction and instead of ensuring his talents can be used for good for the next ~half a century they are putting him on a path that statistically leads to more crime rather than less.

NonPhixion

Wouldn't be the first person who gets "violent" during custody and wont be the last, especially youngsters.

He's someone with a talent that could be very useful to the fabric of modern day society. He lacks direction and instead of ensuring his talents can be used for good for the next ~half a century they are putting him on a path that statistically leads to more crime rather than less.
So they shouldn’t undergo a psychiatric evaluation but instead be given an internship?

GHG

So they shouldn’t undergo a psychiatric evaluation but instead be given an internship?

Kinda GIF

Not what I'm saying at all.

Other pathways can and should exist, particularly for young offenders who commit these types of crimes.

NonPhixion

Kinda GIF

Not what I'm saying at all.

Other pathways can and should exist, particularly for young offenders who commit these types of crimes.
So instead of being admitted to a hospital under doctor supervision. What other pathway would you suggest for this troubled teen?

Elysium44

Banned

I don't subscribe to this leftist worldview that nothing is criminals' fault and if we just let them have an umpteenth chance they will behave next time. They laugh at your naivety. They've stolen from multiple companies and individuals and promised to keep doing it. The justice system has not just thrown away the key however, they've given this person a chance to redeem themselves and come out of detention and rejoin society. What more do you want? It literally can't be any more reasonable than that.

Mr.Phoenix

He deserves it. Obviously, there is something wrong with him.

And for this saying it's not that bad... this is as bad as a home invasion. And he's not just getting access to games and shit, but HR data and whatnot. People's lives and identities.

And even worse, it's not just a one-off thing, like the dude Is hacking while being in custody for hacking. If that doesn't tell you he has a problem I don't know what else would. I rehab prison sounds about right to me. Even lenient if you ask me.

Bro got put in Arkham Asylum for leaking videogames.
He got put in Arkham, asylum for breaching privacy. How would you feel if it was your computer that he hacked into and uploaded all your pics and videos and personal information?

Last edited:

Hudo

That's an insane sentence for a teenager who just hacked some fucking video game dev. It's not like he stole state secrets or shit like that. Holy shit.

I mean, if he can hack into R* from some hotel room with a shitty Amazon Fire TV stick, then R* is also to blame for their crappy security. Come on.

Edit: I've read the article. You guys should not knee jerk react to my knee jerk reaction, lmao.

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
That's an insane sentence for a teenager who just hacked some fucking video game dev. It's not like he stole state secrets or shit like that. Holy shit.

I mean, if he can hack into R* from some hotel room with a shitty Amazon Fire TV stick, then R* is also to blame for their crappy security. Come on.

So if someone breaks into your home I can just blame you for your locks not being good enough. If someone hacks your PC, your fault for your weak security. Victim blaming at its finest.

Mr.Phoenix

That "fucking videogame" employs over 500 people. Thats 500+ families are being fed directly off working off it. That video game is worth more than the GDP of a fair number of countries.

Can you even begin to understand how ignorant what you are saying here is?

And wait... if a burglar is smart enough to pick my lock, disarm my security system, break into my house, beat me up and rape my wife and daughter... some genius like you would say it's my fault for not sleeping in a safe?

Kerotan

I love this.

Hack these companies, then hack more while on bail all while telling everyone you'll do it again.

Good luck doing that spending the rest of your life in a padded room. One less fruit loop in society.

GHG

So instead of being admitted to a hospital under doctor supervision. What other pathway would you suggest for this troubled teen?

A prison hospital != "a hospital".

But that seems to be the go-to for certain societies at the moment. If in doubt throw mental instability/illness in the mix and hope for the best.

If he were to be placed in some kind of rehabilitation programme that didn't involve him being surrounded by people up to their eyeballs on mental health "drugs" then I wouldn't have any issue with it.

Like I said before, there should be an alternative for cases like this. Nothing wrong with punishments, however they should be appropriate.

I don't subscribe to this leftist worldview that nothing is criminals' fault and if we just let them have an umpteenth chance they will behave next time. They laugh at your naivety. They've stolen from multiple companies and individuals and promised to keep doing it. The justice system has not just thrown away the key however, they've given this person a chance to redeem themselves and come out of detention and rejoin society. What more do you want? It literally can't be any more reasonable than that.

I'm not a "leftist", couldn't be further from it. Try again without attempting to label me.

Elysium44

Banned
I'm not a "leftist", couldn't be further from it. Try again without attempting to label me.

I wasn't labelling you but referencing what you said. If you had conservative views on crime and punishment then we wouldn't be arguing.

NonPhixion

A prison hospital != "a hospital".

But that seems to be the go-to for certain societies at the moment. If in doubt throw mental instability/illness in the mix and hope for the best.

If he were to be placed in some kind of rehabilitation programme that didn't involve him being surrounded by people up to their eyeballs on mental health "drugs" then I wouldn't have any issue with it.

Like I said before, there should be an alternative for cases like this. Nothing wrong with punishments, however they should be appropriate.

I must of missed the prison hospital part. Can you point out where in the bbc article it says he is being held in a prison hospital? I mean it’s likely a secure medical facility. But prison hospital?

Last edited:

GHG

I wasn't labelling you but referencing what you said. If you had conservative views on crime and punishment then we wouldn't be arguing.

I live somewhere where punishment for certain crimes (violence/rape/theft etc) is at a level that you likely wouldn't be able to comprehend.

However if a young person did something like this then the punishment and treatement isn't anything like what's being described here.

As a result the place I live in has one of the lowest crime rates in the world.

And wait... if a burglar is smart enough to pick my lock, disarm my security system, break into my house, beat me up and rape my wife and daughter... some genius like you would say it's my fault for not sleeping in a safe?

There's a big leap between someone hacking a corporation and what you just described here.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I don't really think it's too much. I think at some point you really have to start making examples of some of these people that don't respect anybody else's line of work or realize the implications of what they're doing. See, if you respect your own job and take something seriously like this. Then you should respect the developers and then industry that you follow such as games. If you aren't mature enough to understand that perspective, then you probably have never cared about something you've worked on. Like some of these developers do. And also don't realize the impact of something like this happening. There is financial, and other impacts that we don't even ever see. So, if some nerd or somebody wants to hack these places and cause all sorts of ruckus, we will never know the impact that fully has on a financial or mental level and some people need to learn to just sit there and find their business. Not everything requires a hack or some kind of attack. These are jobs and people that really work hard to maintain a lot of these things. The empathy for the victims seems to be falling in the wrong direction. And the victim isn't the hacker.

Top Bottom