• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA 6 Hacker Sentenced Indefinitely to a Hospital Rehab Program

Elysium44

Banned
A prison hospital != "a hospital".

But that seems to be the go-to for certain societies at the moment. If in doubt throw mental instability/illness in the mix and hope for the best.

Doctors declared him unfit to be held criminally responsible, are you saying you want them to ignore his mental issues and give him a long jail sentence instead? Because that's what he'd have got. The UK is signed up to the ECHR for better or worse, so if a court had tried doing that when there is ample evidence of his autism then it would be overturned on appeal.

Hudo

That "fucking videogame" employs over 500 people. Thats 500+ families are being fed directly off working off it. That video game is worth more than the GDP of a fair number of countries.

Can you even begin to understand how ignorant what you are saying here is?

And wait... if a burglar is smart enough to pick my lock, disarm my security system, break into my house, beat me up and rape my wife and daughter... some genius like you would say it's my fault for not sleeping in a safe?
So let's lock him away for life because he leaked some shit about a video game that was one of the worst-kept secrets in the whole industry and will sell tens of millions of copies regardless. I am sure the CEO of R* is crying in his golden bed.

"using an Amazon Firestick, his Hotel TV and a mobile phone".

KrlOL8x.gif

Last edited:

NonPhixion

So let's lock him away for life because he leaked some shit about a video game that was one of the worst-kept secrets in the whole industry and will sell tens of millions of copies regardless. I am sure the CEO of R* is crying in his golden bed.
He got life in a hospital prison for hacking? What country is this again? That's crazy.
There is a bbc article you can both read?

GHG

No sir. He’s there on psychiatric hold until doctors deem he is fit. Much different then a prison parole board. ;)

Ok glad we cleared that one up.

Funny that they don't hesitate to call the same place that he's going a "prison" when someone escapes though:

"read the BBC" indeed.

I just read the tweets so far...so Tom Warren is exaggerating.

Fair enough.

It's a hospital prison. The UK just tends to take a "softer" approach when labelling these places (when appropriate). See above.

Doctors declared him unfit to be held criminally responsible, are you saying you want them to ignore his mental issues and give him a long jail sentence instead? Because that's what he'd have got. The UK is signed up to the ECHR for better or worse, so if a court had tried doing that when there is ample evidence of his autism then it would be overturned on appeal.

It's a complicated issue and I don't have all the answers, but sticking some hacker kid in the same place that will have people who have committed violent crimes doesn't make much sense.

Last edited:

NonPhixion

Ok glad we cleared that one up.

Funny that they don't hesitate to call the same place that he's going a "prison" when someone escapes though:

"read the BBC" indeed.

It's a hospital prison. The UK just tends to take a "softer" approach when labelling these places (when appropriate). See above.

It's a complicated issue and I don't have all the answers, but sticking some hacker kid in the same place that will have people who have committed violent crimes doesn't make much sense.
So do you consider the Littlemore Mental Health Centre to be a prison? Perhaps we have different ideas on what constitutes a prison.

Boss Mog

This kid gets a life sentence for hacking some game company while murderers and rapists and child abusers are let off the hook with a slap on the wrist, welcome to 2023.

Just channel this kid's skills into something productive like hacking the CCP or North Korea.

Last edited:

GHG

Can I use the services at what you call “a prison” without a judge/court order?

That's not up to me. This is now about how we are supposed to be defining this place.

The BBC when someone goes in:

"secure hospital"

The BBC when someone escapes that very same place:

"a prisoner who escaped"

Is it a prison or is it not a prison, that is the question.

Not my fault even the BBC can't stay consistent in their reporting. Let's call a spade a spade, it's a fucking prison and he'll be mixing it with violent criminals who are much older than him.

Last edited:

NonPhixion

That's not up to me. This is now about how we are supposed to be defining this place.

The BBC when someone goes in:

"secure hospital"

The BBC when someone escapes that very same place:

"a prisoner who escaped"

Is it a prison or is it not a prison, that is the question.

Not my fault even the BBC can't stay consistent in their reporting. Let's call a spade a spade, it's a fucking prison and he'll be mixing it with violent criminals who are much older than him.
Well a prison would have no services for the public. A secured hospital would. So I would call it a secured medical centre.

Mr.Phoenix

Again, ignorant. This is not about who he committed the offense to. Or how well the thing will go on to sell. It's about the crime he committed. People who hack power and transport servers or steal people's identities don't start from there, they start from hacks like these that people like you would say are not a big deal.

And he isn't being locked up for life.. read the damn article.

There's a big leap between someone hacking a corporation and what you just described here.
No there isnt. And thats my issue with you guys defending this stuff. Its that whole, well as long as its not happening to me its fine thing.

Can you imagine some people within Rockstar have probably lost their jobs because of this hack? Cause you know, that's what these corporations do. That could be what, 5? 10? 20? that are now out of a job. All because some petulant child decided to get some internet cred.

Last edited:

Hudo

Again, ignorant. This is not about who he committed the offense to. Or how well the thing will go on to sell. It's about the crime he committed. People who hack power and transport servers or steal people's identities don't start from there, they start from hacks like these that people like you would say are not a big deal.

And he isn't being locked up for life.. read the damn article.

No there isnt. And thats my issue with you guys defending this stuff. Its that whole, well as long as its not happening to me its fine thing.

Can you imagine some people within Rockstar have probably lost their jobs because of this hack? Cause you know, that's what these corporations do. That could be what, 5? 10? 20? that are now out of a job. All because some petulant child decided to get some internet cred.
I did now. Which you would've gotten if you read the thread a bit further. But oh well.

CuNi

Money impacts people's lives too, he cost people a lot of money and stated he intended to keep on doing it, so he's where he needs to be. He can get out whenever he decides to start behaving himself like the rest of us do.

I would understand that reasoning when the company he hacked would've gone out of business or actual people were harmed, but this is just about money.
It's not even about a huge impact on the company, and yet he gets a worse punishment than actual people who either straight out kill others or rape them, which is a lasting impact for life on them.

If you don't think this is a fucked up system, then I don't know what to tell you.

GHG

You've got to be joking me.

The only way a company like them or Nvidia are firing someone is because they want to. Meanwhile the execs still comfortably take home millions (sometimes hundreds of millions if they offload stock) on an annual basis. Doesn't make his actions just, but lets have a little perspective here.

You compared him to a violent criminal in your previous post. That's not what he is (not even close) but due to the environment he's about to be placed in at such a young age its what he could become.

You can walk down any major high street in the UK (particularly in London) after dark and scoop up hundreds of mentally unstable individuals who have (or are about to) commit violent crimes such as stabbings, murders, rapes, theft, etc. Many of these individuals will be off their faces on drugs and alcohol. They continue to roam the streets and make them unsafe for normal people to go about their business while this (clearly talented) hacker kid ends up spending life in a high security mental facility (aka, a prison).

The aforementioned criminals have nothing positive to offer society and pose an immediate threat. Meanwhile they could get this kid working in some capacity where he's helping national security (which in turn further aids public safety).

Something is not right here and people should start seeing it for what it is considering this is how their tax money is being used. Corporations are being protected with more urgency and severity than anything that involves the safety and comfort of the people.

The judge and jury have failed here, other recommendations could have been made while still maintaining public order. They have failed this kid, and they are failing the public (although the latter is nothing new).

Anyway, considering the way that some people are applauding this ruling and fail to see how ridiculous it is in the grand scheme of things, I'm glad I left the UK a long while ago. At least it's not my tax money they are chucking away like this.

Last edited:
I honestly thought he was pleading insanity to get off the charges. You know yourself it's an age old defense but ... saying he would do it again and doing this while he was on the nvidia charge does sound like not all his dogs are barking sadly.

Clearly an intelligent man in many ways but yeah, I am starting to think it's not an act.

Last edited:

Cattlyst

Those are some pretty mad skills. A teen using a firestick to hack a major developer…imagine this kid will get a job working for the government or something

phant0m

So much focus on the “sentence” in this thread.

can we talk about the fucking BALLS you need to hack another multinational corporation with a Fire TV stick while under police protection for the last cybercrime you committed?

Anywho, now that’s kid never gonna be allowed to even look at an electric toothbrush.

Last edited:
Top Bottom