• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V has gone gold.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
KTyyHPO.jpg

Corner of Wilshire Blvd. and S. Western Ave in LA.

So good, Michael is the best.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Some info which was obtained from the GTA V .bik (video) file on PSN download I imagine.

Contains some spoilers.

Michael & Tracey De Santa
The protagonist Michael is called Michael De Santa, his job role is an associate producer for Richard Majestic, a film/video production company working on a Movie/TV series called "Meltdown" - Michael may still hold other job roles and responsibilities, and as we already know, he teams up with Franklin and Trevor to participate in criminal activity.

Michael's Daughter, Tracey De Santa, is a contestant on Fame & Shame, a talent contest hosted by Lazlow (Lazlow is a radio host on other GTA games) at Vinewood Bowl, Vinewood. Tracey wrote a song called "Daddy Issues" which relates to her relationship with her Dad, Michael (as you've all seen the official trailers, they don't have a strong relationship). Maybe her Dad is trying to push her into the movie/tv industry? Tracey doesn't win the talent contest and Lazlow shares some intimate details about his relationship with Tracey.

Liberty City, Zombies & Aliens
GTA V hasn't seen the end of Liberty City, it's seen on the in-game movie "Meltdown" and on an Ammunation Advert, which also shows a Zombie Attack/Alien Invasion in Liberty City. Will we get to go back to Liberty City? I don't know, but Liberty City is still a factor in GTA V - maybe it's planned for future DLC or just used for in-game TV content, we'll need to wait and see.

Speaking of DLC (Downloadable Content), one of the Game Tip Videos states "Buy more DLC, It makes you a better marksman" - another video showed off a "Swine Hoard" mode where you shoot hundres of piglets (infected piglets maybe?)

Street Gangs

The Ballas, The Vagos are just two of the RETURNING street gangs on GTA V, but we also see a new gang arrive in Los Santos; The Lost MC (The bike gang from The Lost & Damned on GTA IV). These gangs are featured on a TV Documentary Series called "The Underbelly of Paradise", which is presented by FIB Agent, Steven Haines.

The Vagos are the largest Mexican street gang in Los Santos, with connections to several Mafia groups, they can be identified wearing green clothing, which represents the baseball club, Los Santos Corkers.

The Ballas are another Los Santos Street Gang and can be identified wearing purple clothing, which represents their love for the sports team; Los Santos Panic.

Life Invader

Jay Norris, Founder & CEO of Life Invader is killed by a mobile phone/life invader device explosion, during what seems like a seminar for university students (just an assumption).

Stunt School

You can become a stunt double - completing stunt ramps, jumping from a building on fire, being shot and getting run over are just a few of the crazy stunts you can try to become famous - you can learn how to be a stunt professional at Cunning Stunt Academy.

Leonora Johnson

Leonora Johnson was a Vinewood "Starlet", found murdered on January 17th 1975 with a star imprinted on her back. The star obviously refers to the Vinewood Walk of Fame, which replicates the real life Hollywood Walk of Fame. You're not the only person trying to clue together her death, but you will earn an achievement for unravelling the case - so, who killed Leonora Johnson?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Do we know if the footage they've shown is PS3 or 360?

PS3.

The game was demoed on PS3?

Yep.

And, of course, the single-player demo we saw was also demoed on PS3. Is PS3 your lead platform?

Not really. This is probably the first game we've done where both platforms have been running in parallel. There's very, very little difference in the development state of them both. They're both very similar. It would be hard to tell them apart.

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...north-president-leslie-benzies-on-gta-online/

ThisOne

Nice. I guess that puts to rest my fears that the game would be unoptimized compared to the 360 version like IV was.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I put in GTA4 to play it and gaddam it is ugly now

I only want to play Michael and the other guy and not the homeless dude.

ThisOne

Which system? The game looks like a blurry mess on PS3. Framerate isn't too good either. In spite of all that, I finished the game the summer it came out. I heard the 360 version was much better.

Simo

Uh oh...someone on the GTAForums is claiming the 360 version is out in the wild. He also claims UK stores received their first shipment over the weekend too.

Could be fake though..

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Which system? The game looks like a blurry mess on PS3. Framerate isn't too good either. In spite of all that, I finished the game the summer it came out. I heard the 360 version was much better.

I have it on 360 and I tried that. Then I downloaded the trial of the PS3 version. The PS3 version is ESPECIALLY ugly but even the 360 version...it's just not all that detailed now. Looks kinda like clay.

liquidtmd

Banned
Uh oh...someone on the GTAForums is claiming the 360 version is out in the wild. He also claims UK stores received their first shipment over the weekend too.

Could be fake though..

Isn't this dubious if its only been gold for approx. 72 hours

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Isn't this dubious if its only been gold for approx. 72 hours

No reason not to. Splinter Cell Blacklist was announced it went gold and not even a day later it was out to download from various sites so people must have obtained retail copies.

It usually happens quick with big games like CoD or Halo pretty quick. I imagine GTA will be getting insane attention.

Edit: I sometimes think a game goes gold and into production a few days before the company announces the gold status.

Tohsaka

Could be fake though..

It's not out yet, I have friends who are really into the scene so they'd be bragging about it by now if it were.

Mar Nosso

Banned
My hype level is nearly non existent. Only finished GTA III. Never went far in Vice City and San Andreas because they felt too similar. IV I invested time into, but the story was so bland the characters so annoying I couldn't hold my motivation. The gameplay wasn't all that great either: cars felt like trucks and the shooting mechanic was awkward to use.

Will probably give it a try if a friend has it, but not really interested in buying the game.

SJRB

Gold Member

The game is 5.5 years old, for fucks sake.

Replaying it a last time at this moment. Sure the character models are pretty bad, but overall the game is still gorgeous and second to none when it comes to atmosphere. Liberty City FEELS alive, even compared to very recent sandboxers like Sleeping Dogs.

coughlanio

I really wish the PSN preorder wasn't €69.99. I can get the retail version from the UK for €41, but I've commited to digital only on PS3/PS4/Vita.

At least the 75% off any Rockstar game dampens the blow, as I've been meaning to pick up either Red Dead Redemption or Max Payne 3. Which would you recommend?

Robot Pants

My hype level is nearly non existent. Only finished GTA III. Never went far in Vice City and San Andreas because they felt too similar. IV I invested time into, but the story was so bland the characters so annoying I couldn't hold my motivation. The gameplay wasn't all that great either: cars felt like trucks and the shooting mechanic was awkward to use.

Will probably give it a try if a friend has it, but not really interested in buying the game.
Don't let 4 ruin your gta experience. 5 will be the game of the generation.

dream

Could be fake though..

FWIW, I preordered the game from Best Buy Canada yesterday and it was listed as "In Stock."

I really wish the PSN preorder wasn't €69.99. I can get the retail version from the UK for €41, but I've commited to digital only on PS3/PS4/Vita.

At least the 75% off any Rockstar game dampens the blow, as I've been meaning to pick up either Red Dead Redemption or Max Payne 3. Which would you recommend?

Red Dead Redemptiıon. Its the best open-world game second to none.

I'm going to try and ignore this as much as possible until the PC version comes round. Fuck.

On the bright side there's a good chance I can't afford to buy this on day one in any case.

coughlanio

Seems like a strange choice to make the title so small (comparatively).

In marketing, on an advertisement that large, it's going to grab people's attention automatically, and because it's not instantly clear what it's for, the person will focus on it, seeing the logo after a few seconds, leaving a greater impression than just having a massive GTAV logo and people just giving it a passing glance.

ironcreed

Banned

Yeah, that wonky on foot gameplay was hard to get used to again as well. On the whole, V is really looking like a quantum leap in terms of overall improvement. Going back to play IV really drives that point home based on what we are seeing. Still love it, though.

I've between playing iv to hold me over and I just can't stay into it. Graphics have not held up and the delay in player movements drives me insane. Niko moves so oddly. The missions are ridiculously bland. I liked it in 2008 but the game doesn't hold up

I've between playing iv to hold me over and I just can't stay into it. Graphics have not held up and the delay in player movements drives me insane. Niko moves so oddly. The missions are ridiculously bland. I liked it in 2008 but the game doesn't hold up

If you are playing on console and if you have the DLCs, play them. I remember those having cleaner and sharper graphics than the original game.

Mask

These next four (almost) weeks are gonna be hell, what with the fervent spoilers and my perception of time slowing down..

Okay, maybe time won't slow down, but it'll sure feel like it!

Also, anybody who doesn't think the game could leak just after the game's been announced as going gold, you don't know
how HARD these game release groups try to outdo each other. They literally have people who work on the production
lines who will grab a copy to send to them, sometimes just the disc on it's own. They just want the game, to try and upload it
first, and beat the other release groups. It's not unusual for them to know people who work on the delivery vans, or even at the
development studios themselves.

Although, anybody leaking the game who happens to work at the developer usually gets caught pretty quick, and fired.

sytadel

These next four (almost) weeks are gonna be hell, what with the fervent spoilers and my perception of time slowing down..

Okay, maybe time won't slow down, but it'll sure feel like it!

Also, anybody who doesn't think the game could leak just after the game's been announced as going gold, you don't know
how HARD these game release groups try to outdo each other. They literally have people who work on the production
lines who will grab a copy to send to them, sometimes just the disc on it's own. They just want the game, to try and upload it
first, and beat the other release groups. It's not unusual for them to know people who work on the delivery vans, or even at the
development studios themselves.

Although, anybody leaking the game who happens to work at the developer usually gets caught pretty quick, and fired.
Why? What's the incentive? To me, it's comparable with trying to get the first comment on a YouTube video. Pointless.

I didn't even know when the release date was, I thought like it was more closer to October, but I will be a day 1 purchase. I am just finishing up Liberty City Stories: Lost and the Damned right now.

I am pretty excited, as you could probably tell by me not even knowing the release date, I have tried to stay pretty in the dark about this game. I just want to go in with a clean slate!

If you are playing on console and if you have the DLCs, play them. I remember those having cleaner and sharper graphics than the original game.

I have the DLCs. They're not any better, but both of them have filters on them that make them look different. I was hoping to play through IV again and then play through LATD (which I really enjoyed) and Gay Tony (which I liked but wasn't that head over heals for)... But GTAIV is taking me so long to get through.

The mission variety is truly lacking in IV. Even in missions that try to buck the trend you're still usually driving from point A to point B, shooting a guy, and then that's the end of it. Aah, San Andrea and your varied missions, how I miss you.

Why? What's the incentive? To me, it's comparable with trying to get the first comment on a YouTube video. Pointless.

I honestly don't know what the incentive is, but that guy you quoted is right. There is a ridiculous competition to be the first on the newsgroups to leak something. I think it's all about credibility. It's ridiculous, but it's real.

Have there been any videos yet of the gunplay?

That's probably my biggest concern. I've never been a fan of the lock-on crap that they put in all of their games. I'm assuming that will be rearing its ugly head in multiplayer again while the non lock-on rooms remain mostly barren.

sytadel

I have the DLCs. They're not any better, but both of them have filters on them that make them look different. I was hoping to play through IV again and then play through LATD (which I really enjoyed) and Gay Tony (which I liked but wasn't that head over heals for)... But GTAIV is taking me so long to get through.

The mission variety is truly lacking in IV. Even in missions that try to buck the trend you're still usually driving from point A to point B, shooting a guy, and then that's the end of it. Aah, San Andrea and your varied missions, how I miss you.

I honestly don't know what the incentive is, but that guy you quoted is right. There is a ridiculous competition to be the first on the newsgroups to leak something. I think it's all about credibility. It's ridiculous, but it's real.
I hate that it's now a given that we have to avoid huge spoiler minefields in the last few weeks prior to launch of triple A titles such as GTA V. They should introduce massive fines, monetary penalties that would bankrupt any site that went live with this stuff.

Aye nothing you can really do. What's the line between a leak and speculation you know. I probably go on a blackout soon enough, even though I have gobbled up every bit of speculation since the first rumors

Top Bottom