• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTI Club: Supermini Festa - a 10/10 slept on arcade racing game...but what else is out there GAF?

VGEsoterica

I love Konami. Old Konami...not pachislot Konami. That Konami can go to hell as far as I am concerned

But the old school arcade Konami? They made some bangers. Weirdly though nobody ever seemed to NOTICE they were out there dropping hits once the 3D arcade era started...and most of their stuff is just straight up slept on.

Thrill Drive series, Racing Jam series and GTI Club series are all seriously great racing games that any fan of the genre would enjoy playing...but seemingly not many people ever did.

But GTI Club: Supermini Festa? Legit like playing The Italian Job...except its good! It has got absolutely everything you'd want in an arcade style racing game and you can literally play it today on Windows if you look hard enough. It has some San Francisco Rush vibes mixed with Beetle Adventure Racing...and if that isn't enough to convince you to play it I don't know what is lol

But what OTHER legit slept on racing games do you have GAF? I wont lie...my knowledge of them is mostly on the Konami side...so I'd love to hear your favorites

Extra fun if you own a GTI haha

SkylineRKR

Sure. I played GTI Club in the arcade in 1997 or so. It was the original game that was eventually ported to PS3. I still have that one too, played it a few weeks ago in fact. It was still on my account.

VGEsoterica

Sure. I played GTI Club in the arcade in 1997 or so. It was the original game that was eventually ported to PS3. I still have that one too, played it a few weeks ago in fact. It was still on my account.
Impressed someone played it recently. 99/100 times most people just say “never heard of it”

Futaleufu

I remember playing GTI Club 2 on arcades, its a great twitchy fast paced arcade racer. Both GTI Club 1 & 2 are playable on MAME.

Futaleufu

I just got a GTI Club 2 pcb in. I don’t believe 2 works well in MAME nor 1.
Hmm, I just gave GTI 1 a try on MAME 0.247 and the gas and brake pedals are broken, they are always pressed on even on test mode. Something broke this because I was able to play the game a couple of years ago. The attract mode seems to work perfectly.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
For me personally this my favourite Arcade racing of all time.
motorstorm-apocalypse-1658845734388.jpg

msa_under_truckt7mt.gif

I would LOOOOOVE gets remastered for PS5.

Last edited:

nush

Impressed someone played it recently. 99/100 times most people just say “never heard of it”

GTI Club was fucking awesome, but it was one of those games that was too advanced to port to current consoles and to old to port to newer consoles when they had the power. Limited edition PS3 port was all we got, and I didn't own a PS3.

VGEsoterica

GTI Club was fucking awesome, but it was one of those games that was too advanced to port to current consoles and to old to port to newer consoles when they had the power. Limited edition PS3 port was all we got, and I didn't own a PS3.
Yes it was always a mid generation arcade game. By the time home hardware was developed to port it accurately…the games looked old

I discovered this game on MrThunderwing's YouTube channel, and was truly miffed when I found out it it had already been delisted from PSN. I put up with the blurry Wii version for a while, and then finally got it working on Teknoparrot.

Another game that reminds of GTI is Classic British Motor Racing that came out for PS2 and Wii... it's decent... a lot of the tracks are out in rural areas. Not as good as GTI Club IMO, but it's worth trying out if you're into retro racing games.

For me personally this my favourite Arcade racing of all time.
motorstorm-apocalypse-1658845734388.jpg

msa_under_truckt7mt.gif

I would LOOOOOVE gets remastered for PS5.

Man, I freakin' love the Motor Storm series! One of the reasons why I got a PS3!

Futaleufu

Another game that reminds of GTI is Classic British Motor Racing that came out for PS2 and Wii... it's decent... a lot of the tracks are out in rural areas. Not as good as GTI Club IMO, but it's worth trying out if you're into retro racing games.
GTI Racing for PC is another similar game but Volkswagen centric.

SkylineRKR

Yeah I recently got a PS3 an hooked it up. GTI Club was one of the games on my account and its gone forever otherwise. So I downloaded those games for me to keep. I bought it back then because I liked the coin op way back.

Yeah its like most arcade games from 1996 ish, from Namco Super System 22 and Konami etc. They were too advanced for PSX, and when Dreamcast came out they were already too old. Some games eventually did make the cut, like Time Crisis 2 eventually being released on PS2 (while a DC port was rumoured or even announced, I think). But a lot of them didn't. GTI Club shouldn't have, but for some reason Sumo remastered it for PS3 and they did a well job. Its a really kick back racing game with a fun vibe.

Last edited:
Top Bottom