• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardian OP/ED: "I’m black, my brother’s white … and he’s a cop who shot a black man"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malyse

My white brother loved black people more than I did when we were growing up. As a black interracial child of the south – one who lived in a homogenous white town – I struggled with my own blackness. I struggled even more with loving that blackness. But my brother, Mitch, didn’t. He loved me unapologetically. He loved me loudly.

He also loved screwing with other people’s expectations. Whenever we met new people or I joined a social situation he was in, Mitch would make sure I was standing right next to him for introductions and say, “This is Zach, my brother” – and then go silent with a smirk.

These new acquaintances would then scan back and forth with such intensity – black, white, white, black – that our faces became a kind of tennis court, with strangers waiting for someone to fault. Eventually someone would awkwardly laugh and say something like: “Oh, adopted brother,” immediately looking relieved to have figured it out. My brother would deny that and push the line further, “No, like, my brother. We have the same mom. We are blood.”

That would lead to someone questioning me intensely, and, each time, my white brother would stand next to me, proud: prouder than me of my own skin. And over the years, as he continued playing this game, I became prouder ... with his help.

And then, years later and far away in Chicago, I got the phone call: my brother, now a cop, had shot an unarmed black man back in Tennessee.

Hearing about black men dying is never exactly a surprise. Every day, you see the news stories: On the news, black men die while getting Skittles. On the news, black men die in choke-holds. On the news, black men die for playing their music too loud. It seems black men die on the news more than they do almost anything else on the news, even with a black president in office. Every 28 hours, a black man is killed by a police officer in America.

I just never imagined that the police officer in that scenario would ever be my brother. Mitch was supposed to be different than all the rest. He was supposed to be different because of me.

The first thing I did after I got the phone call was Google my brother’s name. I saw a mix of headlines; some outlets were more sympathetic toward the unarmed 22-year-old victim, while other coverage was more favorable to my brother, the cop who “accidentally” killed someone. Articles kept using that word – “accidental” – over and over, and it felt like aloe on a burn.

Watching the first press conference later that day, the police spokesman talked about how my brother was just doing his job, that he followed protocol and that this was just a tragic accident for everyone involved. After the press conference, one of the local news stations in Nashville aired a more in-depth look at the case and reported that the victim had a family member who had been shot by someone on the same police force years earlier – also, apparently, “by accident”.

Accident seemed like an odd word to me for this situation. When I hear the word “accident”, I usually think about spilled milk or the dog urinating on the carpet or even bumper scratch. Accidents were things that you respond to with, “Whoops, sorry!” But with this accident, I wondered: to whom could we even say “sorry” now that a man lay dead?

While I watched, I kept thinking about why these accidents always seemed to happen to black people. And why they were called accidents, when it seemed so clearly to be much more than an accident – when it seemed to be a flaw in a system that called things accidents.

I stared at my computer after my screen went black and prayed that it was an accident. Because calling it that didn’t make me feel I had to choose my race over my blood – the strangers who asked me questions over the brother who wanted them to.

I went home to Tennessee a few years later, after the media coverage of the case had calmed down, and sat in one of the chairs in my mother’s living room and let the argument happen. My mother, with her smooth milk skin, stared at me with eyes that would not unlock from my own.

“Do you actually think he shot him because he was black?” she asked, tearing up.

“Yes, I do. I really do.”

“But how can you say that? Honestly, he is blacker than you!”

I winced at her backwards compliment, the racism veiled as praise, the description I’d heard since I could write my name.

“Mom, that is simply not true. He is white. This will never change, no matter what he does. Never. And because I am black, I know that if that man would have been white he would be alive today.”

My mom finally unlocked eyes with me and stared down at her glass. I could see that she wanted to agree with me, but couldn’t this time, because it was an indictment of her other son. She had probably never imagined having to argue with her black son about her white son shooting and killing an unarmed black man while on duty.

But that’s also when I began to see just how much racism isn’t really about a single act or a single person, but rather a much larger system . A system that calls the recurring death of black male bodies “accidents”.

No matter how my mom had raised us, no matter how much my brother loved my blackness and was so proud of me for who I was, it still didn’t stop another black man from losing his life.

My white brother isn’t a racist – and he didn’t intentionally kill that man because he was black – but that’s not the point. In his case – in Ferguson and in so many other cases – we see the deaths of unarmed black men as “accidents”. And until the day we all recognize them as casualties of something much bigger, we will continue to see black men dead on the news.

We will continue to see brothers killing brothers.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/aug/25/white-brother-police-shot-black-man

Oppo

I can't help but think that there's a glaringly obvious part of the story missing-why didn't he talk to his brother? Why isn't any of that in the article?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
But that’s also when I began to see just how much racism isn’t really about a single act or a single person, but rather a much larger system . A system that calls the recurring death of black male bodies “accidents”.

No matter how my mom had raised us, no matter how much my brother loved my blackness and was so proud of me for who I was, it still didn’t stop another black man from losing his life.

My white brother isn’t a racist – and he didn’t intentionally kill that man because he was black – but that’s not the point. In his case – in Ferguson and in so many other cases – we see the deaths of unarmed black men as “accidents”. And until the day we all recognize them as casualties of something much bigger, we will continue to see black men dead on the news.
Precisely.

Slayven

Shit is so real I had to take a knee. "Accidents", "Doing their job", "Aggressive steps" , etc. All ways to dehumanize black people and normalize their deaths.

Shit is so real I had to take a knee. "Accidents", "Doing their job", "Aggressive steps" , etc. All ways to dehumanize black people and normalize their deaths.

Does this mean what I think it means? An "aggressive" way of walking? Wow. All these pathetic ways to hand wave their deaths.

I feel really conflicted with this story. It's incredibly sad. I think I'll refrain from talking about this and just think on it.

Rur0ni

“Do you actually think he shot him because he was black?” she asked, tearing up.

“But how can you say that? Honestly, he is blacker than you!”

I winced at her backwards compliment, the racism veiled as praise, the description I’d heard since I could write my name.

“Mom, that is simply not true. He is white. This will never change, no matter what he does. Never. And because I am black, I know that if that man would have been white he would be alive today.”

My mom finally unlocked eyes with me and stared down at her glass. I could see that she wanted to agree with me, but couldn’t this time, because it was an indictment of her other son. She had probably never imagined having to argue with her black son about her white son shooting and killing an unarmed black man while on duty.

We will continue to see brothers killing brothers.
What?

That aside, yes, I can agree there's a lot of "accidents".

Slayven

Does this mean what I think it means? An "aggressive" way of walking? Wow. All these pathetic ways to hand wave their deaths.

Did you see the video about a month back where a cop asks a dude for his ID, when dude goes to reach for it . The cop damn near unloads his gun into the guy at point blank range. Thank god the cop was terrible shot. Despite the whole thing being on camera the cop said the guy "Reached aggressively".

Here in the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux17aho5CSM

THRILLH0

Banned
This is powerful from a purely emotional point of view but I don't feel that it's particularly insightful at all. The way this guy derisively parrots the "accident" narrative back reads like he's jumped straight to "fuck the police" without even speaking to his brother or giving him any sort of benefit of the doubt.

It's like the whole "my brother was so proud of me" preamble was of zero consequence.

Rur0ni

This is powerful from a purely emotional point of view but I don't feel that it's particularly insightful at all. The way this guy derisively parrots the "accident" narrative back reads like he's jumped straight to "fuck the police" without even speaking to his brother or giving him any sort of benefit of the doubt.

It's like the whole "my brother was so proud of me" preamble was of zero consequence.
Agree.

If you apply "aggressive" or "dehumanizing" to anything a black person does, it makes it threatening and justifies deadly force.

You don't know about the Aggresive stance or stare? Dangerous weapons used by Black men against the Police force?

OP: Very powerful article. I'm glad he broke it down that the real root of the problem. Is the system.

Did you see the video about a month back where a cop asks a dude for his ID, when dude goes to reach for it . The cop damn near unloads his gun into the guy at point blank range. Thank god the cop was terrible shot. Despite the whole thing being on camera the cop said the guy "Reached aggressively".

Here in the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux17aho5CSM

Living in the UK, I'm just still trying to wrap my head around how the US can contain such blatant racism and yet it mostly goes ignored. This is all just so ugh.

I honestly find it really hard to believe given the circumstances that the outcome would have been any different if he was a white guy or Hispanic guy or whatever. After a pursuit cops pulled the guy over, one of the cops slips on his way out of the car and discharges his weapon accidentally, cop number two hears the gunshot, thinks suspect is firing on them and immediately shoots "back". A horrible, needless tragedy but one which probably has a lot less bearing on race than the Ferguson or Walmart cases I have read about recently.

Link from article in OP

http://www.wkrn.com/story/12401147/wilson-co-shooting-victim-leaves-behind-2-year-old-son

fader

Living in the UK, I'm just still trying to wrap my head around how the US can contain such blatant racism and yet it mostly goes ignored. This is all just so ugh.

it's denial pretty much. Most people believe racism is dead since slavery and civil right era are way behind us but they don't understand the dangerous part of the knife is pretending its not there.

THRILLH0

Banned
We are missing a whole lot from this story.

The jump from "my brother loves black people more than me and protected me to the point it made me prouder of my own race" to "he shot him because he was black" is jarring to say the least.

sk3

Banned
There seems to be some disconnect between "I read about my brother shooting someone in the paper" to "I went back home and told my mom I thought he shot him because we was black".

Did he never talk to his brother after that? As a reader I feel there is so much information missing here. What brought him to make that judgement on his own brother?

neshcom

Banned
I think the contradiction between "I don't think he's a racist" and "I think he shot that man because he was black" is meant to be an indictment of police training and culture systematically discriminating against blacks while sparing the individuals from blame. It misses the forest for the trees, but that's the only way I can read that. It doesn't seem like he had spoken to his brother and is blindly defending him...

Zhengi

My white brother isn’t a racist – and he didn’t intentionally kill that man because he was black – but that’s not the point.

What?

J10

Banned

You know how when people yell "fuck the cops" and then there's always that one dude who's like "hey now, my brother's a cop and he's not an asshole and you shouldn't generalize them because that hurts my feelings as if you were talking literally only about my brother"?

Here, we got a guy whose brother is a cop and is still somehow able to acknowledge the problem with the way the cops as an institution treat minorities.

kirblar

I honestly find it really hard to believe given the circumstances that the outcome would have been any different if he was a white guy or Hispanic guy or whatever. After a pursuit cops pulled the guy over, one of the cops slips on his way out of the car and discharges his weapon accidentally, cop number two hears the gunshot, thinks suspect is firing on them and immediately shoots "back". A horrible, needless tragedy but one which probably has a lot less bearing on race than the Ferguson or Walmart cases I have read about recently.

Link from article in OP

http://www.wkrn.com/story/12401147/wilson-co-shooting-victim-leaves-behind-2-year-old-son
After reading this and the original essay- I feel like the OP's article is leveraging a tragedy to try and make a point in a really gross way.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!

Link from article in OP

I totally understand and empathize with this guy, but this truly sounds like an accident on his brothers part after the other cop fell and accidentally discharged his weapon. No quotes needed around accident on this one...

And Ferguson and so many other cop shootings are not accidents, just racist pricks targeting blacks and/or acting irresponsibly with their firearms.

JDSN

Banned
I dont understand how people cant see that the statement "My brother is not racist" can coexist next to "That black man died because of racism", its silly to see people requesting pictures of Darren Wilson in KKK regalia or Garner saying the N-word to prove that the act itself was fuelled by racism, all this while ignoring that its the system that is designed to discriminate regardless the beliefs of those that enforce it. There is no "other side of the story" or "black brother is hiding something", its reality.

nm. DreamDrop trap thread.

Whats the trap here?

I think the article's point was not about the individual situation but the culture of expectations for these encounters that often end so tragically.

I think it would flow better if he expounded on the source for some of his feelings so readers would not get hung up on the apparent logic jumps when the article goes into its conclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom